Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by faircornell »

VRR: Personally, I think that Princeton is our toughest Ivy game remaining. I'd characterize Princeton's loss to Brown as an "off day" following their Denver Game. Princeton's attack is potentially devastating.

I do agree that Yale is not a preferred match up. I'd like to see a Penn/Cornell rematch.
BigRedOne

Post by BigRedOne »

Cuse smartly scheduled no game yesterday while BR traveled to Hahvahd and now travel up to Cuse for SU's 7th home game out of 9 as well as their senior day (night); a loss will force the vanquished to win their league tourney to grab the AQ, which may already be the case for both depending on future results.
It will be BR's 6th game in 24 days; brilliant scheduling. Will Penn State even play in Ithaca? Asking for a former friend of the program...
Milliman ran recruiting for four years prior to be appointed HC (and Defense for 3 of them) and they need to put a pole in a SSDMs' hands 3/4 of the way thru the season to attempt to solidify the Close D?
2nd mids getting so much run yesterday a nod to the slate in front of them with a travel date to South Bend next weekend as well.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

BigRedOne - you asked why it took so long to move Tarbell to close to solidify the defense...
I think Milliman's plan was to go with Karey, a junior, or roll the dice on a freshman, Fields --- given the need to develop a "non-senior" for the 2020 season. Even more so, because Wallace graduates this Spring. If the Karey/Fields strategy had worked, he would only have to plug one hole next year, rather than two.
Obviously, the latter game plan didn't work out; Milliman concluded that he didn't have a choice but to make the move. And the move has two benefits --- not only is the close D strengthened, but Salvatore goes back to LSM, strengthening the d-midfield as well.
As for close D in 2020 - ???
Same with the ss's (Bray and Tarbell graduate) - ???

PS - You also referenced the travel schedule; my understanding is that the team is flying to South Bend, but returning by bus. 'Not confirmed.
DMac

Post by DMac »

As for the "smart" scheduling, how does that work? Know nothing about it, does one team have an upper hand (so to speak) in determining when teams will meet or is that a mutual agreement determined by what works best for both?
Don't see Cuse's not playing on Saturday while Cornell did as being an issue at all. Two D1 teams with athletes dedicated to their sport who are in top notch shape playing in the second week of April. Big Red coming off an Ivy win in a game that gave them a great opportunity to keep the oil hot while running that fine tuned machine at comfortable RPMs. Meanwhile, Cuse's machine is sitting idle. Advantage Big Red the way I see it.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And re PSU: the current series started in 2016 in Ithaca, 2017 was @PSU, 2018 & 2019 on neutral fields.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:51 pm Advantage Big Red the way I see it.
Desko (who would have no trouble finding a Saturday opponent if he wanted one) apparently doesn’t agree.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I think staying in a rhythm is often better than taking a weekend off.

I’m glad we had a more challenging game post the Dartmouth game, it looks like we were able to devise some nice defensive improvements and test and develop them.

I also think the team (past and present) enjoys playing in the dome, this is not a typical away game for us but a more typical home game for SU understanding both teams have a lot riding on the outcome this year.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:20 pm BigRedOne - you asked why it took so long to move Tarbell to close to solidify the defense...
I think Milliman's plan was to go with Karey, a junior, or roll the dice on a freshman, Fields --- given the need to develop a "non-senior" for the 2020 season. Even more so, because Wallace graduates this Spring. If the Karey/Fields strategy had worked, he would only have to plug one hole next year, rather than two.
Obviously, the latter game plan didn't work out; Milliman concluded that he didn't have a choice but to make the move. And the move has two benefits --- not only is the close D strengthened, but Salvatore goes back to LSM, strengthening the d-midfield as well.
As for close D in 2020 - ???
Same with the ss's (Bray and Tarbell graduate) - ???

PS - You also referenced the travel schedule; my understanding is that the team is flying to South Bend, but returning by bus. 'Not confirmed.
One game, one season at a time.... I think this likely cost us the Penn game and put this season in jeopardy.....
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

I really have trouble with fans who criticize the coach for his scheduling decisions. It is not like Milliman made some phone calls in September to set the 2019 season schedule -- these arrangements are made way in advance. How is he supposed to anticipate which non-league opponents might be really good this year? How is he supposed to anticipate which Ivy teams will require extra mental and/or physical prep to come away with a win? How is he supposed to anticipate when spring will arrive in Ithaca, how many days of outdoor practice will occur, what bus travel conditions will be like, etc. If Syracuse sucks, he looks stupid for leaving an open weekend before the Tuesday game [someone name the last time Cornell-Syracuse occurred on a Friday or Saturday], especially when there are so few decent weekends to play lacrosse in upstate New York in February, March and April.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

BigRedOne wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:51 amIt will be BR's 6th game in 24 days; brilliant scheduling
How long have you been following the team? This schedule is not at all unusual. The StB game was clearly not taxing. In 2017, the team played a much tougher Colgate in the StB Tuesday slot. In 2016, the team played Colgate on the Tues after Virginia (and beat Colgate 6-5 on Zach Ward's last-second goal) and before Yale (beat Virginia 14-10, lost to Yale 9-15).

The Cuse game has always been difficult to place. In 2015, the game was played as the season opener, Feb.15 in the Dome. Cornell got pasted, 14-6, but went on to be good enough to get the #8 seed in the NCAAs. Everyone screamed that opening against Cuse was dumb, and the game went back to the Tues-after-Harvard slot, where it had been before. In at least one year, the Georgi Boiardi 21 Run was held on the Sunday after Harvard and before Cuse on Tuesday. Now that really was dumb. (The 21 Run has now been moved to the Fall.)

Scheduling good OOC teams is not easy.
DMac

Post by DMac »

RedIvy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:20 pm I also think the team (past and present) enjoys playing in the dome, this is not a typical away game for us but a more typical home game for SU understanding both teams have a lot riding on the outcome this year.
Every year there seems to be some sort of grumbling about this game, number of pratices one team has (hasn't) had, number of games, day of the week, where, etc. I think RedIvy nails it. None of that stuff really much matters when these two meet, both know each other well and are ready ready to go. Have been to several of these meetings and have never had the feeling that the Big Red are the least bit uncomfortable in the Dome. Quite the opposite actually, and I too believe the Red like playing in the Dome. Cornell always brings great fans in good numbers, the atmosphere is always electric, and I think both fan bases get along just fine, respect one another, and enjoy the experience.
This year's game has the makings to be a real beauty (again), very much looking forward to it.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 am
RedIvy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:20 pm I also think the team (past and present) enjoys playing in the dome, this is not a typical away game for us but a more typical home game for SU understanding both teams have a lot riding on the outcome this year.
Every year there seems to be some sort of grumbling about this game, number of pratices one team has (hasn't) had, number of games, day of the week, where, etc. I think RedIvy nails it. None of that stuff really much matters when these two meet, both know each other well and are ready ready to go. Have been to several of these meetings and have never had the feeling that the Big Red are the least bit uncomfortable in the Dome. Quite the opposite actually, and I too believe the Red like playing in the Dome. Cornell always brings great fans in good numbers, the atmosphere is always electric, and I think both fan bases get along just fine, respect one another, and enjoy the experience.
This year's game has the makings to be a real beauty (again), very much looking forward to it.
No surprise here on the scheduling, as CU 77 said, the only dumb thing was when we put the 21 run in this weekend as well.

On my 12th book in the Vince Flynn Mitch Rapp series, when I picked up my first book in the series I didn’t know about the characters connection to SU Lax, it definitely builds on the mystique of the program and History of its great athletes.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Cornell-Cuse, a traditional rivalry with plenty to play for this year. Enjoy the game, those who get to see it in person... and GO BIG RED!
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Looking forward to the game this week. I grew up watch Cornell-Syracuse.

As an added bonus, I'm here in Indiana, and Cornell is playing @ South Bend this Sunday. It's a 2.5 hour drive, so not sure I'll feel up for it when the time comes, but I'm considering making the trek north to watch the game. I was in South Bend this past weekend for an AAU tourney for son #4, and the campus (of course) is beautiful. I might drive up early, take a run around campus and along the river, then take in the game. Would love to see the Big Red play live again. It's been a long time.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I strongly encourage you to do it! I drove 3+ hours to see Cornell play in the Pacific Coast game against Virginia a couple of years back, and it was my first live Cornell game since the 1977 national championship. I had a great time! Lots of Big Red fans, parents, former players, etc. I suggest arriving early, there's almost certainly going to be some sort of tailgate event beforehand.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'd actually call that one a no brainer. Two and a half hours aint nuthin to go see your boys play, would do (have done) that in a heartbeat. Done deal, go to the game and you won't regret not going later.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Clarke Petterson and TD Ierlan are Co Player of the Week in the Ivies. Hats off to both awardees. It's confusing. This is the second time that Jeff Teat was an obvious candidate this year and wasn't awarded the honor.
OldRedLax

Post by OldRedLax »

Any thoughts on the game tonight? Absolutely huge game for the Red.
Last edited by OldRedLax on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OldRedLax wrote
I love this rivalry, there is nothing better than the two best teams in Upstate NY going at each other in the Dome.
Indeed, and welcome to the Dome all you Big Red fans. This one feels as if it has the makings for another classic Cuse-Cornell meeting. Best of luck, and no injuries!!!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

This is a tough one on both sides. While I'm not a bracketologist, my assumption is that the loser has a significant reduction in their At Large likelihood for the NCAA tournament.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”