Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PDSlax

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by PDSlax »

Friars are also shooting well. Hobart is taking a lot of low-angle shots.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How many kids are out (aside from Shaifer who’s all season)? Herlihy, Bach, Horton, Shea. Anyone else? Story of the last number of years.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

PDSlax wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:39 pm Friars are also shooting well. Hobart is taking a lot of low-angle shots.
Yes, but that was the scouting report all along. We knew we had to win the faceoffs, hold possession, and take good shots. Instead we seem to be playing playground ball, with behind the back shots, low angle shots, and some individual heroics. At least Wilson has stepped up.
FFG, regarding injuries, didn't I hear that Bach is in there? If he's injured we're really down.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:48 pm
PDSlax wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:39 pm Friars are also shooting well. Hobart is taking a lot of low-angle shots.
Yes, but that was the scouting report all along. We knew we had to win the faceoffs, hold possession, and take good shots. Instead we seem to be playing playground ball, with behind the back shots, low angle shots, and some individual heroics. At least Wilson has stepped up.
FFG, regarding injuries, didn't I hear that Bach is in there? If he's injured we're really down.
Schoefield not getting help from wings were 5/14

Didn’t see Bach but you may be right he definitely wasn’t out there early.

9/29 shooting, 32-33% on cage so far, but two sweet BTB attempts!
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Let's see what adjustments they make at halftime.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PDSlax wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:53 pm Let's see what adjustments they make at halftime.
Wilson suddenly turned it on after tough start but Prov was moving ball well and lot of easy assisted looks
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

The number of assists is part of the story today.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Great second half by the Statesmen!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yes. Gave up one inside 2 min at 13-10 but otherwise only 3 from 11:30 or so left in Q2 to that last goal, something like a 40 min stretch.

Good cold start for Wilson. Saved 2 of first 7 on cage in Q1 then 9/15 after.

And that goal by Considine should be on the various lax bro play of them week lists
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BTW sure seemed like that one ball trickled over the white line they called no goal on.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

A gritty, ugly win. It's good to see the team win without some key players. Datellas and Shea playing wounded showed real heart. Schofield starting to get more comfortable at the dot. Wilson looked every bit a freshman starting his first game in the 1st half. He was better in Q3 & 4. I'm not sure he is anywhere near ready to face Cuse next Saturday. Nor is our defense using it's current systems. Providence showed good ball movement in the 1st half. Bart hasn't faired well with any team that does that this season. Speaking of ball movement, only 3 of Bart's 13 goals were assisted. That won't fly against the Orangemen. I'll give Datellas a pass since he was obviously injured, Both Simas and Greene really need to step up on their accuracy if they're going to be on the 1st line on O. Delano is playing the way we has hoped. Considine is living up to his "most improved" status. Booker even called him "player of the game". The rope unit made some nice plays today and helped hold the Friars to 50% clearing.

This coming Saturday is a whole different story. They move the ball faster than anyone the team has face save Cornell. Lot's
of close quarters short passes. Spallina has a very good no look shot as he dodges from X above GLE. Hopefully we get everyone healthy for the game and have Holtby in goal. He has experience we need imho.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Syracuse is actually a very beatable team. As you mentioned, their ball movement is great. They’re VERY Canadian, even the guys on offense who aren’t Canadian play like they are. I always felt Long Island guys played like Canadian players. Spallina is good, BUT he can really slow them down too. He wants to get his, so if Hobart can frustrate him early, then he’ll shoot low angle and low percentage shots and hurt their offense. Christiansen is actually matched up well with him… a left handed defender who thrives against physical dodgers. Cuse moves the ball well without question, but they don’t necessarily dazzle you with their dodging. We need to rotate well on Saturday and not be pulled apart by their ball movement. Easier said than done I suppose, but that’s the key.

I’m with you on Holtby, the issue is that I think his confidence is probably quite low. He hasn’t played in seven games now, tough to just step in against a good team like Cuse. I actually think Hobart matches up well with this team in all honesty. Cuse is extremely talented, but they’re very young. Hopefully we can stay with them early and frustrate them. Similar to how a 15 seed or a 16 seed plays a 2 or 1 seed in the March Madness tournament. We are all witnessing how, with the right mental approach, the underdog can pull the upset at any time. Go Statesmen.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigHoss wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:05 am Syracuse is actually a very beatable team. As you mentioned, their ball movement is great. They’re VERY Canadian, even the guys on offense who aren’t Canadian play like they are. I always felt Long Island guys played like Canadian players. Spallina is good, BUT he can really slow them down too. He wants to get his, so if Hobart can frustrate him early, then he’ll shoot low angle and low percentage shots and hurt their offense. Christiansen is actually matched up well with him… a left handed defender who thrives against physical dodgers. Cuse moves the ball well without question, but they don’t necessarily dazzle you with their dodging. We need to rotate well on Saturday and not be pulled apart by their ball movement. Easier said than done I suppose, but that’s the key.

I’m with you on Holtby, the issue is that I think his confidence is probably quite low. He hasn’t played in seven games now, tough to just step in against a good team like Cuse. I actually think Hobart matches up well with this team in all honesty. Cuse is extremely talented, but they’re very young. Hopefully we can stay with them early and frustrate them. Similar to how a 15 seed or a 16 seed plays a 2 or 1 seed in the March Madness tournament. We are all witnessing how, with the right mental approach, the underdog can pull the upset at any time. Go Statesmen.
Biggest concerns would be I could see Hiltz going off and Kirst bullying a smaller SSDM.

And we need to have a lot less one on one offense. Delano, Grooms etc won’t beat their man as easy as they did vs Prov.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BTW, Hockey team scored three even strength goals in 35 seconds in Q2 to blow open their playoff game w Curry in the quarters. Has to be some type of college playoff record.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

And w/ Utica getting upset in OT, the Skatesmen have a real shot at winning the NC. Exciting times. Now just have to hope we show up and don't get blown out by Cuse. Just want to see a complete, steady game for a change.

Dave Gage made a solid point that this group has managed to win 3 road games in the last couple of weeks. Definitively some silver linings in what's been a frustrating up and down start to the season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:50 pm And w/ Utica getting upset in OT, the Skatesmen have a real shot at winning the NC. Exciting times. Now just have to hope we show up and don't get blown out by Cuse. Just want to see a complete, steady game for a change.

Dave Gage made a solid point that this group has managed to win 3 road games in the last couple of weeks. Definitively some silver linings in what's been a frustrating up and down start to the season.
It did feel like a road game but weren’t we technically the “home” team yest?
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Fair point / sounds like it was a strong HWS turnout alum and otherwise
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:13 pm Fair point / sounds like it was a strong HWS turnout alum and otherwise
Loved the Bart fans there I could plainly hear. Helped offset the slobbering over Benson by the play by play guys and refs.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

Benson is almost as bad as Tierney.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:29 pm
cooperstef wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:58 pm Might be the black cleats, but Dartmouth looks horrible. Not a good team.
What? 4-0. What is your definition of a good team?
Hmmm....beat everyone on your schedule but you are not a good team.
Are we living in an alternate universe?

Congrats to the "not a good team" Big Green on your 4-0 start.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Yes Joewillie, 4-0 doesn't necessarily equal a "good team"...UNC lays 25 on the Big Green with 1 day off...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”