Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins doesn’t have the staff size to do some of the things the big programs do. Loyola when I was interacting them had a staff of about 8. Hopkind staff was also very small. IMBBC has about 80 I think.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

OCanada wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 pm Hopkins doesn’t have the staff size to do some of the things the big programs do. Loyola when I was interacting them had a staff of about 8. Hopkind staff was also very small. IMBBC has about 80 I think.
INSTITUTE OF MARINE BIOLOGY, BIOTECHNOLOGY AND AQUACULTURE (IMBBC) :?:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t understand the reference. I know the ADs office has expanded some since I was interacting with it Boy it is still small and has to deal with the falls sports. Ernie has a very full plate
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

That was another random aside with very little point to it other than to desperately come up with more things to complain about. Those other big programs are all D1 schools. UNC, for instance, has HUNDREDS of employees in its athletics department between a fully staffed AD's office to a dozen or so at least communications people, huge events/facilities/HR/IT/marketing/health/tickets departments to a fully operational in-house production staff whose sole job it is to make said video content interviewing the head coaches and players or whatever your fan heart desires.

Last I checked, Hop has maybe a few dozen people total across all sports departments including a 3 or 4 person comms team and we know for men's lax it's pretty much entirely Ernie with I'm sure the help of an intern or student volunteer. I don't need to hear Petro interviewed for 2 minutes about assimilating the new freshman class. The guy has always taken a page out of his friend Bill's playbook and says virtually nothing of substance in interviews anyway, even the ones conducted by Ernie. I'm sure we'll get the usual "fall preview" just ahead of the October scrimmages but if you really want to know how the team is looking then go to a practice or scrimmage yourself. Not sure a school-produced interview conducted on the sideline of Homewood Field while the guys are stretching in the background would count as the "accountability" '06 is looking for.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Amazing diversity at Johns Hopkins, which should only help lacrosse recruiting. Here are the stats for the Class of 2023.
:o
https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/08/22/class-of ... e-numbers/

63% are students of color (including 31% who are Asian)
14% are international students.
54% are women
98% were in the top ten percent of their class
Median SAT of around 1515 out of 1600

In the days that Wombat and I were prowling around campus, the numbers were probably around:

25% students of color
5% international students
45% women
80% in the top ten percent
Median SAT of our class was 1286

:shock:

Hopkins is a much more diverse and interesting place to go to school these days!

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

How's all that diversity been helping out the lax program at Hop in recent years, Doc?
(I don't think there's much correlation with the diversity of the student body and the lax team.)
How'd they do when you and the Woms were roommates as compared to today?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 am How's all that diversity been helping out the lax program at Hop in recent years, Doc?
(I don't think there's much correlation with the diversity of the student body and the lax team.)
How'd they do when you and the Woms were roommates as compared to today?
Don’t think recruiting has been the problem with the Hopkins program. Blue Jays have gotten excellent talent in the door. They have underperformed once they got here, especially on defense. That’s squarely on Coach Pietramala. Still, it’s clear he has been trying to change things on D, maybe not enough (and not fast enough) to save his job. We will see.

But the fact remains, Johns Hopkins is more popular than ever, and I think diversity is a big part of that. No way the Hopkins of Old could compete for students today if the school didn’t change. That popularity can only help lacrosse recruiting.

One thing that didn’t change as much over the years as it probably should have is Petro’s approach to defense. He’s been trying to catch up by adopting a more aggressive and offense-oriented defense. Just take a look at the green light he gave Kuhn and Foley to charge upfield. Blue Jays also averaged around 6 caused turnovers per game last year, compared to about 3 CTs per game just a few years ago.

Hopkins made a real effort to change how they recruited students and improved students’ educational experience and quality of life. The investment in change paid off big time.

We’ll see if Petro can match that success with the Hopkins D. Can he adapt and implement enough changes to get the Blue Jays back to their winning ways?

I’m optimistic, but I really don’t know how things will turn out next season.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

bb takes questions 4x a year in season, does a team website film review of key plays during the week, does regular offseason interviews, has made 10 straight ff, won 3 titles in last decade, plays to sold out games, has one of the most dedicated fan bases in the world, the highest rated tv performances of the year and gives 800 word answers on things like long snappers.

Petro has 1 ff, 0 titles in a decade, has no media duties 9 months a year, recruits against programs who get daily national exposure b/c of their revenue sports programs, plays to mostly empty stadiums with a largely disengaged student body, relies on the university+alumni for support, and has given the same 4 anodyne answers to most questions largely nodding to a tradition his clubs haven't added to over the last decade. Whatever offseason secrets he thinks he's keeping don't seem to have fooled towson/loyola last year or really much of anyone. Since the rise of hard knocks most programs use video to engage recruits, alumni and fans, but apparently the secret sauce over there can't be revealed.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 pm Amazing diversity at Johns Hopkins, which should only help lacrosse recruiting. Here are the stats for the Class of 2023.

54% are women

In the days that Wombat and I were prowling around campus, the numbers were probably around:

25% students of color
45% women

Hopkins is a much more diverse and interesting place to go to school these days!

It's amazing that all these top schools still use the racist SAT.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Homer

Post by Homer »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 am Don’t think recruiting has been the problem with the Hopkins program. Blue Jays have gotten excellent talent in the door. They have underperformed once they got here, especially on defense. That’s squarely on Coach Pietramala. Still, it’s clear he has been trying to change things on D, maybe not enough (and not fast enough) to save his job. We will see.

But the fact remains, Johns Hopkins is more popular than ever, and I think diversity is a big part of that. No way the Hopkins of Old could compete for students today if the school didn’t change. That popularity can only help lacrosse recruiting.

One thing that didn’t change as much over the years as it probably should have is Petro’s approach to defense. He’s been trying to catch up by adopting a more aggressive and offense-oriented defense. Just take a look at the green light he gave Kuhn and Foley to charge upfield. Blue Jays also averaged around 6 caused turnovers per game last year, compared to about 3 CTs per game just a few years ago.

Hopkins made a real effort to change how they recruited students and improved students’ educational experience and quality of life. The investment in change paid off big time.

We’ll see if Petro can match that success with the Hopkins D. Can he adapt and implement enough changes to get the Blue Jays back to their winning ways?

I’m optimistic, but I really don’t know how things will turn out next season.

DocBarrister 8-)
Somewhere a small country is missing its Minister of Propaganda.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 pm Amazing diversity at Johns Hopkins, which should only help lacrosse recruiting. Here are the stats for the Class of 2023.

54% are women

25% students of color
45% women

The SAT is less racist than before. You won’t find infamous questions like “Andover is to Exeter as Harvard is to ______.”

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Homer +1

Hopkins friend is sitting for his Rhodes Scholarship interview in the Eisenhower Library. The interview was about a painting that hung in the library. I do t know if it is still there. After the interview he asked me the same question he got. I gave the same answer he did. He got it.

It is in fact the quality of players that largely accounts for the for the record. But that is not as simple as saying it’s the coaches because it introduces variables that are harder to account for. BT didn’t forget how to coach he lost the asset he could get a few of the players he needed psst the admission process. He was able to tell some recruits they would be accepted before the final decision. Then he couldn’t.

In the early 2000s Hopkins has Benson Irwin and Kyle Harrison. There has not been a better duo at SSDM when they were on the field together. Kyle was too valuable to let him play there much after freshman year. There were blac players off and in over time but it was basically a white sport save for the Iroquois at Cuse.

Part of the reason for the increase in diversity throughout the footprint has been the ability of international students to pay full freight w/o financial aid.

Hopkins has come from virtually all male to a more gender balanced program.

I probably forget something I should have included
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

54% are women

25% students of color
45% women

In the mid-"60s
>1% students of color
1-2% international students
0% women
80% top ten %
Median SAT 1400
Undergrads 1800
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 am

54% are women

25% students of color
45% women

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... e=Homepage

Good article which references the SAT....long but pretty good. Some schools have gone test optional (old news).
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Do top high school lacrosse players care much about diversity when choosing a school? My guess is that it is way down on the list of reasons why they pick a school.
DMac

Post by DMac »

None of this supports Doc's claim that diversity will help Hop's lacrosse recruiting. I don't think the 31% Asains of the 63% people of color has helped Hop's lacrosse recruiting one iota, for example. Inasmuch as Hop is nowhere near the dominant powerhouse they once were, one could argue that all the diversity has had a detrimental effect on Hopkins lacrosse, no?
8-)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:10 pm Do top high school lacrosse players care much about diversity when choosing a school?
Diverse ones might?

I mean, one of the best midfielders in the country (a minority) just transferred because he didn't feel like he fit in at his extremely homogenous school.

With the game growing to new areas and demographics, I think a diverse campus is a plus (it's an objectively good thing regardless of lacrosse). At worst, it's not a negative. If a kid chooses not to go to a school because it's more diverse than others, then you don't want that kid anyway, IMO. Though I'm sure instances of that happening are few and far between.

Zapruder film update: The Culver Instagram account tagged John Cohen in the comments of the video, so that nasty groundball may have been him. The next Joel Tinney???
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Lacrosse isn’t a priority anymore.
Diversity, SAT scores, and US News &World Report Rankings are the priority.
This isn’t hard to figure out.
Times have changed.
So wish we had a Prez who actually cared.
What is Brody doing these days?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

True diverse players are interested in diversity, for better or worse there are still very few diverse players. I bet the reasons for choosing a school are something like this:
1. How good is the program / history?
2. How is the gear / swag ?
3. Is it a fun school to attend?
4. Will I have a good chance to play?
5. How hot are the girls?
6. Is the stadium/locker room sic?
7. Are any of my buddies there?
8. Is it close to home?
9. Academics
10. Alumni network
11. Coaching staff
12. Did that smoking babe on the tour notice me?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm None of this supports Doc's claim that diversity will help Hop's lacrosse recruiting. I don't think the 31% Asains of the 63% people of color has helped Hop's lacrosse recruiting one iota, for example. Inasmuch as Hop is nowhere near the dominant powerhouse they once were, one could argue that all the diversity has had a detrimental effect on Hopkins lacrosse, no?
8-)
Of course the facts do not support that claim. It is a fallacy (absent any other evidence) to claim increased "diversity" is the cause of our lax woes, but just because correlation does not necessarily imply causation, it is another thing to hand-wave the two trends which are completely opposed to the fact-free conclusion.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”