Facegram & Instabook

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
tech37

Re: Facegram & Instabook

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:49 am And how about Tech? Last year, he was demanding on this very thread Facebook and Twitter get F'ed by the government simply because they have the gall to publish what THEY want to publish. Those bastards! They should publish what Tech wants them to publish, obviously. And if they don't? Well, Congress should FORCE them to publish what Tech wants.
Not sure what your motivation is here but I'll play along (briefly)...you may have me confused with someone else.

What I remember is, I cited work by Matt Stoller, someone who IMO, seems very smart in the antitrust area. I think I specifically mentioned the idea of repealing Section 230. Just to clarify, here is a piece he wrote back in 2021. I'm not sure this is the piece I cited at the time but it's a good example:

How To Prevent the Next Social Media-Driven Attack On Democracy—and Avoid a Big Tech Censorship Regime

https://www.economicliberties.us/our-wo ... en-attack/#

I also recall going back and forth with mdlax over this issue and we both came to the same conclusion (a rare occasion) that the issue was incredibly complicated and there were no easy answers. Don't believe I've commented since then.

I have never taken a "what TECH wants" position on anything, especially when it comes to this issue. I do disagree with people who, IMO, outright lie and/or are hypocritical.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:04 am
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:49 am And how about Tech? Last year, he was demanding on this very thread Facebook and Twitter get F'ed by the government simply because they have the gall to publish what THEY want to publish. Those bastards! They should publish what Tech wants them to publish, obviously. And if they don't? Well, Congress should FORCE them to publish what Tech wants.
Not sure what your motivation is here but I'll play along (briefly)...you may have me confused with someone else.

What I remember is, I cited work by Matt Stoller, someone who IMO, seems very smart in the antitrust area. I think I specifically mentioned the idea of repealing Section 230. Just to clarify, here is a piece he wrote back in 2021. I'm not sure this is the piece I cited at the time but it's a good example:

How To Prevent the Next Social Media-Driven Attack On Democracy—and Avoid a Big Tech Censorship Regime

https://www.economicliberties.us/our-wo ... en-attack/#

I also recall going back and forth with mdlax over this issue and we both came to the same conclusion (a rare occasion) that the issue was incredibly complicated and there were no easy answers. Don't believe I've commented since then.

I have never taken a "what TECH wants" position on anything, especially when it comes to this issue. I do disagree with people who, IMO, outright lie and/or are hypocritical.

When any business fails to deliver value to its customers, the customers seek out other providers. This is what’s occurring today with Twitter and Meta. Look at the stock prices for TWTR and FB….

They caved to the loud woke leftists, suspending and terminating whole swaths of conservatives and independent thinkers. So new entities sprung up to fill demand: Spotify, Substack, Parler, Truth Social, TikTok, Rumble, Snapchat….individually they aren’t scary (maybe TikTok) but collectively and as even more appear, they are massively denting the user statistics of the legacy social media and financial platforms, hurting their bottom lines.

It’s been equally interesting to see the defiance of certain CEO’s who refuse (so far) to cave to the woke left, especially Spotify’s Ek and Coinbase’s Armstrong. They defy the left mob’s demands even as their own stock prices have suffered. It would be a easy to cave (CEO’s generally don’t love negative comments, not to mention left activists showing up at the CEO homes) but they have defiantly issued statements saying their platforms are a political firewall and they won’t change, which of course makes the dingbat lefties go weapons-grade insane.

I’m looking for a good book to explain why the left seeks to suppress speech. I can explain it in my head, but I want a good historical book to round out the history and data.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:40 pm This is damned crazy.....https://www.facebook.com/10000584611575 ... 377965314/
I dunno about "crisis", but it's a very hot market.
https://abc11.com/raleigh-zillow-housin ... /11425188/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My business partner sold his 4,500sq Ft house on 3ac in a nice part of the city in Raleigh last summer. It flattens out fast above $500-$600k, was surprised it’s far far off Charlotte or Atlanta given the growth of the Reasearch triangle area. But nationally in a world where payments are king, not leverage and a lack of consideration for things like liquidity, capex reserving or even opex (repairs and maintenance, utlities) anything under $300k is seeing a supply/demand imbalance. Used to be a significant rent/ownership cost delta in most of the country but PE and institutional money recognized the payment mentality and lack of planning and soaked up the supply of low cost home inventory pushing that delta to zero even where rents are also increasing. I had some calls with a guy who’s family owns 225ac in S Va, rural area but near a new Microsoft data center campus and has political connections and wanted to “co develop” a senior affordable housing project of 150-200 units hit even with wood framing and cheap materials its north of $150k/unit all in which is going to be difficult for me to help him put together despite plentiful cheap 3.25%-3.378%, 35yr mini permanent HUD based financing under the LMI restrictions for the area without a straight donation in the amount of a few million bucks. We’re hoping the regionalMedical system 5mi away and/or Microsoft will throw some dough in to make the math work.

The combination of things like Ibuying and institutional single
Family rental business supported by this zero rate environment and push to subsidize homeownership through financing tools has caused this monster.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

Geezuz H, if this isn't the most shining of examples why not everyone should have the capability of broadcasting their thoughts to the world I don't know what is.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/an ... d=msedgntp
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

But she’s easy on the eyes and seemingly highly persuadable so…
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:33 pm But she’s easy on the eyes and seemingly highly persuadable so…
She's had a rough go after being sexually abused. https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-ne ... me-trauma/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Huh, I’m not trying to get to know more about her or anything like that. Leave me to my perversion otherwise known as google images.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:41 pm Geezuz H, if this isn't the most shining of examples why not everyone should have the capability of broadcasting their thoughts to the world I don't know what is.
it's easy to manage to stay away from this stuff.............put your Fn phone down
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ninety five percent of what I use my phone for is texting or talking with someone but I hear ya.
This popped up on my computer and naturally the looks caught my eye so I clicked on. Got no
idea who this gal is, didn't make it past the "If I was your mother" part. Point is, I just don't think
people like this should have the capability of poking the bear particularly when the stakes are as
high as in this particular situation. Then, of course, the media has to pick it up and circulate it.
For sure, we all need to know what this gal thinks. Personally, I think she should stick with her
whips and cuffs and keep her mouth shut.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How come you don’t stay away but choose to rant at everyone unintelligibly so much?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:46 am Ninety five percent of what I use my phone for is texting or talking with someone but I hear ya.
This popped up on my computer and naturally the looks caught my eye so I clicked on. Got no
idea who this gal is, didn't make it past the "If I was your mother" part. Point is, I just don't think
people like this should have the capability of poking the bear particularly when the stakes are as
high as in this particular situation. Then, of course, the media has to pick it up and circulate it.
For sure, we all need to know what this gal thinks. Personally, I think she should stick with her
whips and cuffs and keep her mouth shut.
How is it any different than listening , or over hearing, similar mindsets in the local pub.

Ate diner at a bar yesterday, about 20 people all around........talking the same nonsense. Starving, so had to endure, but never engaged.

Have all those "conversations" on mute and NEVER engage in anything beyond, time, place, price, person, address, etc. blocked a half dozen zealots, that don't know the words "you make a good point"

an almost impossible and rare occurance on these threads :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

It's different because the guy ordering the tanks and troops in isn't being beckoned to engage in the conversation. Just no need for a bimbo to be poking the bear. Oh, and as far as keeping her mouth shut, I do mean just most of the time, of course.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:04 am It's different because the guy ordering the tanks and troops in isn't being beckoned to engage in the conversation. Just no need for a bimbo to be poking the bear. Oh, and as far as keeping her mouth shut, I do mean just most of the time, of course.
Who's the bimbo......the guy that clicked the "hot chick", or the hot chick ;)

only chimming in because I am surprised that DMAC is calling for censorship.., on anyone...which IS exactly what you are doing.

who knew?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Freedom of speech comes with a responsibility though, russy. I'm not too thrilled that this gal is sending Putin messages on behalf of you, me, and the good ol' USofA.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:41 pm Geezuz H, if this isn't the most shining of examples why not everyone should have the capability of broadcasting their thoughts to the world I don't know what is.
... this is one young lady that as soon as she opens her mouth, Johnson wilts.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:15 am Freedom of speech comes with a responsibility though, russy. I'm not too thrilled that this gal is sending Putin messages on behalf of you, me, and the good ol' USofA.
so don't click on it.......and keep on being proud that JOE, is the one sending messages to Putin instead. Feel safer? :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”