All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:11 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:28 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:17 pm
It is pretty laughable. Trump bears the rightful blame of a lot of things. But it’s becoming the boy who cried wolf from the media’s talking heads. It’s their only taking point. “Trump bad.”

We’ve come full circle on all the “information.” And regardless of the news and how it breaks or evolves now-social distancing, testing, modeling, preparedness, travel bans- WHO honesty, China’s honesty, what DRs know, when they knew it, the news has swung both ways on all of these issues. And regardless of what the experts say today- It was wrong. We swear. There is only one fall guy. Trump.

They have laid the whole pandemic on Trump’s shoulders. At least that’s their thesis. They are now crossing their fingers that it sticks and it motivates people to come out and vote for an otherwise completely uninspiring Biden.

Responsibility always goes to the top. The fact that the idiot trump refuses to accept responsibility for inexcusably failing to heed the many warnings he was given and for granting visas to those who brought in virus contamination is a sign of utter stupidity on his part and on those who defend him. The blood of thousands of innocents remains on his wicked little hands whether any right wing delusional wants to believe it or not.
Good example, Brookie!

When it happened people were blasting Trump for “racist” fear-mongering policies and overreaction of visa issue and travel bans.

Now he didn’t go far enough.

Happy Easter everyone!
He should have stopped the Italians too!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

some takeaways midstream....
we are uniquely positioned to be vulnerable for bad/worse than others' outcomes ina pandemic as a consequence of our strengths, or at least things that we all hold dear... freedoms at the top of the list. freedom of thought, vocation, speech, party affiliation. and diversity.

like it or not, that does not make it easy or obvious to promote a path, any path. our size and scope does not, either. i have zero confidence that as much as we have many bright minds and almost infinite resources in this country, that our government can save us from ourselves in a wildfire. competing factions, agendas and infighting turns that strength into a major weakness in these circumstances.

thankfully, there have been pockets of winning leadership here. prepares us for the next battles. so will the experience of having gone thru it. we'll be better prepared when the next one is more lethal and more transmissable. and that day will come. that, to me, may be our silver lining.

otoh, i see no end to the backbiting and divisiveness once we're back to normal. hopefully, the lifting up of others in times of stress becomes a hallmark that continues. maybe not on these forums, but here is anecdotal. will wait for the clinical trials.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:25 pm some takeaways midstream....
we are uniquely positioned to be vulnerable for bad/worse than others' outcomes ina pandemic as a consequence of our strengths, or at least things that we all hold dear... freedoms at the top of the list. freedom of thought, vocation, speech, party affiliation. and diversity.

like it or not, that does not make it easy or obvious to promote a path, any path. our size and scope does not, either. i have zero confidence that as much as we have many bright minds and almost infinite resources in this country, that our government can save us from ourselves in a wildfire. competing factions, agendas and infighting turns that strength into a major weakness in these circumstances.

thankfully, there have been pockets of winning leadership here. prepares us for the next battles. so will the experience of having gone thru it. we'll be better prepared when the next one is more lethal and more transmissable. and that day will come. that, to me, may be our silver lining.

otoh, i see no end to the backbiting and divisiveness once we're back to normal. hopefully, the lifting up of others in times of stress becomes a hallmark that continues. maybe not on these forums, but here is anecdotal. will wait for the clinical trials.

Trump administration never put in a clear...Trump is Guy Lewis!
old salt

Post by old salt »

This from a FedEx pilot friend :
Presently in Osaka going between here and Shanghai for a few more days.
Just FYI... this is starting to turn a lot more political. China recently
changed their screening process here to give the test to all aircrew
entering. And of course they immediately declared 5 of us as "COVID-19
Positive". Company did a great job getting them out of here and back to the
US for real tests... all 5 of them are negative. The political piece of
this is that China is now doing that to a lot of people trying to claim,
"See! The virus came from the US... not us!" (75% false positive rate). So
much so that our leadership is trying to revise our China flights to no
longer have layovers in China. Everything is now converting to "out and
backs" through China ultimately terminating/overnighting somewhere else...
so we don't have to go through customs there. People need to be aware that
China is in a desperate attempt to (1) cover up how many MILLIONS of people
in China actually died from this (I've heard as many as 2.5M), and (2) shift
the blame on this to some other nation/nations.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:21 pm
He should have stopped the Italians too!

Exactly. Donny Doofus believes his border wall* is the ideal solution to every problem under the sun. That among its accomplishments will be the ending of MS-13. This even though that group is from Los Angeles, not from Latin America. By contrast, tRUMP_stupid allows illegals who are members of European/Israel/Russian Mafias to enter our land unimpeded by ICE or anything else. The mindless moron-in-chief knows all this fully well. But he is too corrupt to do anything about it.

*along with tax cuts for wealthy elites like himself
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:02 pm This from a FedEx pilot friend :
There will be a segment of the Chinese population that believe their government leaders.... just like us. But these people let Trump down.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I am not much of a baseball fan but i don't think they will play ball this year. I can't envision a scenario where 50 thousand people are going to go to a ball park to watch the game. IMO people are so scared right now they just will not risk it. i hope I am wrong. The longer this drags on the harder it becomes to have a baseball season that does not look like a joke. When do we reach a point where people who have been scared chitless on a daily basis will get over the shell shock and feel safe going out in public again?
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:20 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:36 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:25 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:34 am Space made for graph described last evening.

Again the light orange dashed curve line shows the apparent turning (Daily Number of Deaths). We will see if this evenings data continues to confirm.

US Deaths 4-11-20.jpg
Deaths?

This is from the CDC itself:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coro ... deaths.pdf

Should “COVID-19” be reported on the death certificate only with a confirmed test? COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death. Certifiers should include as much detail as possible based on their knowledge of the case, medical records, laboratory testing, etc. If the decedent had other chronic conditions such as COPD or asthma that may have also contributed, these conditions can be reported in Part II. (See attached Guidance for Certifying COVID-19 Deaths)

With this "knowledge", you trusting the death count numbers, based on the CDC's recommendations to just, essentially, "wing it" ?
Yup, clinicians are classifying respiratory hang nails as COVID-19. :lol: This is not unique to COVID-19. It has always been this way, with even long known causes of death. The most reasonable "evidence based" cause of death. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its a duck.

Enough of your silly sophomoric nilistic sophistry. Grow up. :roll:
The Dark Knight is his favorite film. Love him some Heath Ledger
...if he IS going to use a descriptor, an adjective, he should probably spell it correctly. isn't THAT write , mdlaxfan

belief in nothing? that's what your take is ?

What does the CDC stating (above) that one can "assume" the cause of death was V-19, just because a 88 year old died, alone, in the nursing home....and the accuracy of the death numbers.

Sorry, when the CDC has a range of 20k-40k deaths for the annual/season/ flu..........we are just supposed to "believe" everything and anything ?

jhu72....you believe, what? in god? which one? you SURE that is the REAL god?

I believe the fault lies, solely, with tRump.

Like I said , we found the cure for everything. Get rid of the current guy .....

JHU72, you read that $2 trillion bill yet?

exactly
All of these old people are dying of the flu unless you test the corpse for Covid. Never mind the other 5 dead bodies in the home tested positive a few days before.
They are doing testing. If you are dying in a hospital, COVID-19 has been tested for and found positive. In cases of death where no testing is possible, small fraction of cases, clinicians once they have seen COVID-19 in action are not mistaking it for the flu in many cases. Are there errors being made? Yes. Are there people dying of COVID-19, not being so identified? Yes. Does this change the fact that this new thing running around is killing lots of people around the world, something we have not seen before in a time frame where we had the scientific ability to distinguish it? Not even a small chance. This is not the flu.

For those worried about misclassification, when things settled down, the deaths will all be reviewed and reclassification could possibly occur. Some deaths will be reclassified, but none of this will change the facts substantially as we see them today.
Last edited by jhu72 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:07 pm
There will be a segment of the Chinese population that believe their government leaders.... just like us. But these people let Trump down.
There will be a segment of the US population that believe their Chinese leaders. The ones who watch MSNBC/CNN &/or read the NYT/WP.

...cue MDLF76 to reassure us that, other than a few rogue party bureaucrats, the Chinese Communist government has done a swell job.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:29 pm
There will be a segment of the US population that believe their Chinese leaders. The ones who watch MSNBC/CNN &/or read the NYT/WP.

...cue MDLF76 to reassure us that, other than a few rogue party bureaucrats, the Chinese Communist government has done a swell job.
Aren’t you the guy that was complaining about China misleading Trump?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I have seen no evidence that there is some concerted effort on MSNBC, CNN or anywhere else of trying to lead any American to believe anything in particular about the Chinese claims. What I have seen is a concerted effort by the right to blame everything on the Chinese. The Chinese are doing exactly the same thing the "right" in this country is trying to do. Claim everything is someone else's fault. :roll: The administrations of both countries are behaving like children - totally as expected.
calourie

Post by calourie »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:26 pm I am not much of a baseball fan but i don't think they will play ball this year. I can't envision a scenario where 50 thousand people are going to go to a ball park to watch the game. IMO people are so scared right now they just will not risk it. i hope I am wrong. The longer this drags on the harder it becomes to have a baseball season that does not look like a joke. When do we reach a point where people who have been scared chitless on a daily basis will get over the shell shock and feel safe going out in public again?
When there is sufficient testing to reassure people that they won't get sick and infect their love ones. With effective leadership maybe a month or two away.
Last edited by calourie on Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:22 am
thatsmell wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:08 am Love to see this country slow down.
Hope everyone is safe.
Happy Easter to all!
Amen!
My wife & I are talking & laughing more than we have in decades.
Enjoying each others company. The dogs & cats love it.
Our 55+ community went ahead with their Easter parade, socially distanced of course.
My wife was driven around in a golf cart in the bio-hazard suit she ordered for just such occasions.
...an inflatable T-Rex costume. It was a hoot.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/46109686
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

calourie wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:01 pm https://www.wsj.com/articles/slow-start ... 1586597401

Interesting article on the attempts to ramp up testing, the implementation of which I see as a critical element in restoring this country to relative health and fiscal normalcy as rapidly as possible. With Abbot currently producing only 50,000 cartridges a day it will take forever to get back to a normal state. I would propose the government focus on finding a way to facilitate increasing that production by a factor of 100.
This is another area where the "free market" is holding us back. Abbott has this hardware (now renamed ID NOW) that accepts the cartridges / test kits. The test kits only work in their proprietary machine (ID NOW). Other manufacturers have similar proprietary machines that use the same basic technological approach. Why are the test kits not standardized to work on any such machine?? Western governments realize these types of situations are potentially problematic and will attempt to standardize supplies. In the US, unlike Europe, attempts to require such standardization is always a fight. We have been more successful in healthcare than most industries, but our success rate is not good.

There is money to be made in lack of standardization of basically the same technology.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 pm

I have seen no evidence that there is some concerted effort on MSNBC, CNN or anywhere else of trying to lead any American to believe anything in particular about the Chinese claims. What I have seen is a concerted effort by the right to blame everything on the Chinese. The Chinese are doing exactly the same thing the "right" in this country is trying to do. Claim everything is someone else's fault. :roll: The administrations of both countries are behaving like children - totally as expected.
When I watched American Factory, I was struck by how similar the Chinese workers were in the film to many right wing guys in this country. Government leader is right...company and business comes first....if you don’t like it, we will find someone else....labor unions are bad....the citizens are loyal to the country and are patriotic... on and on.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The Red Dawn emails. Trump’s experts to each other.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/p ... trump.html
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 pm

So you believe it's equally likely that the US military introduced this virus in Wuhan ?
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:26 pm When do we reach a point where people who have been scared chitless on a daily basis will get over the shell shock and feel safe going out in public again?
When our government has a reasonable plan going forward, and the materials to execute the plan.

We don't have enough ANYTHING right now. PPE, masks, thermometers, Covid tests, and on and on.

I promise you that even the biggest libertarian governor in the country (and I have no clue who that is) understand this, and knows doggone well that we can't get moving without those things, coupled with a cohesive plan going forward.

There is no plan. And we don't have the materials needed to execute the plan.

Picture what happens when we have to choose whether or not to open schools/Universities this fall. Better have a vaccine by then, is all I have to say.

Six months away.....
tech37

Post by tech37 »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:44 pm
Hope everyone is safe.
Happy Easter to all!
Amen!
Our 55+ community went ahead with their Easter parade, socially distanced of course.
My wife was driven around in a golf cart in the bio-hazard suit she ordered for just such occasions.
:D Great stuff OS!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:21 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:44 pm
Hope everyone is safe.
Happy Easter to all!
Amen!
:D Great stuff OS!

Wow, dude is having fun. Didn’t anyone tell him he’s supposed to be posting daily death totals and telling us a vaccine won’t happen for two years!!!!! (Insert Howard Dean scream)

Return to “POLITICS”