NFL

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NFL

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:00 pm I was reminded of Chuck Hughes back in 1971:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... xwuo62m1ma

https://library.sportingnews.com/styles ... k=zySFB3LS
I was watching that game live from home in MI. A sad day for the Lions.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I did not see either event live. However, I did watch as Benny Paret and Kim Duk-koo got belted in the boxing ring with both dying a few days later. I've also seen live car crashes in NASCAR and Indy which resulted in fatalities. The memories are just awful. The only consolation we have is that these heroes died while doing what they loved to do.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Chief Cardiologists runs through the timeline of commotio cordis, assuming that is indeed the determined diagnosis. https://twitter.com/kilmeade/status/161 ... f1QQeIX3tw
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

As lacrosse fans, we should all be familiar with commotio cordis. The sport has lost not one but TWO players caused by a high velocity impact of the ball to the chest of a player. At the time of their death, Louis Acompora was an 8th grade goalie at Northport on LI and George Boiardi was at Cornell playing defense blocking a shot.

In this case, Hamlin obviously took a hit to the chest - yet another high velocity collision where, in this case, the mass of the striking object was much larger than its velocity than the higher velocity of a lower mass object (lacrosse ball). Ever suspect that the result could be the same?

The idea that anyone is even remotely talking about vaccine involvement without any knowledge either medical or with expertise is ASTOUNDING. Let alone any credible DATA. Out of respect for the injured player and his family, How about we wait for the medical professionals and other experts to weigh in.

And, perhaps, be thankful that unlike our two lacrosse compatriots, the player is still alive likely because a portable AED was on the sideline and used to revive him. The presence of the AED was made possible by the sacrifice of our two lacrosse compatriots.

As long as we are tallking big football hits I suggest you watch the the hit by Chuck Bednarik on Frank Gifford in 1960. Cost Gifford a full season to recover and he never really was the same player.

It's entirely inappropriate to even bring up these inane conspiracies - not to mention how disrespectful it is to the injured player and his family.
Please wake up and THINK before weighing in. :oops:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

"It's entirely inappropriate to even bring up these inane conspiracies"

Who did that? I haven't any posts like that here unless they were already deleted before I had a chance to see them.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

as of 8:30 EST Damar Hamlin’s doctors are working to get him breathing without a ventilator after his mid-game cardiac arrest left him in critical condition...https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/04/football ... index.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

As of this AM Damar Hamlin's GoFundMe page for his Toy Drive (with a goal of $2500 raised) is now at
$6,266,800

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Damar Hamlin's first communication after waking up - Who won the game? Docs replied that HE won the game of life.

Bravo to the Bills assistant trainer who performed CPR and DeFib within moments of the event and who likely saved this man's life..
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

thats a nice 200k pay day for GoFund Me. Maybe they will defer it.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:21 am As of this AM Damar Hamlin's GoFundMe page for his Toy Drive (with a goal of $2500 raised) is now at
$6,266,800

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Now over 7 million and climbing.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

When Damar Hamlin was finally able to communicate with his doctors his first question was did the Bills win the game? A classic reply from his doctor was that he, Damar, had won the game of life.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Friday AM Update:

This is amazing: For the first time, Damar Hamlin is addressing his teammates via Facetime. The breathing tube is out, and he’s spent the morning speaking to various teammates on Facetime. Now, he’s delivering a message to the entire group.

His GoFundMe is now up to $7,826,330. His father also suggested to people that they should also consider donations in his name to the University of Cincinnati Health Center.

Monday PM Update:
UC Health Center physicians announce that Bills S Damar Hamlin has been released from the hospital and is back in Buffalo. WOW.
Dr. William Knight: "I can confirm he is doing well and this is the beginning of the next stage of his recovery."

His GoFundMe page is $8,627,140 on Monday

Double WOW :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:48 am Friday AM Update:

This is amazing: For the first time, Damar Hamlin is addressing his teammates via Facetime. The breathing tube is out, and he’s spent the morning speaking to various teammates on Facetime. Now, he’s delivering a message to the entire group.

His GoFundMe is now up to $7,826,330. His father also suggested to people that they should also consider donations in his name to the University of Cincinnati Health Center.

Amazing news! 👏

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Another NFL player could use our prayers:

https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/former ... s-96274802
~Livy
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Bills’ assistant Athletic Trainer Denny Kellington was being praised for the excellent work he did during Damar Hamlin’s injury. Here is another example of the great work Athletic Trainers provide.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/army-hoc ... tent-skate

I’m biased but I don’t think ATs get enough credit or are paid enough for the time, effort and work they do to help the athletes succeed in their sport. Sadly, many schools don’t have concerns for their students and provide ATs.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:38 pm Bills’ assistant Athletic Trainer Denny Kellington was being praised for the excellent work he did during Damar Hamlin’s injury. Here is another example of the great work Athletic Trainers provide.

I’m biased but I don’t think ATs get enough credit or are paid enough for the time, effort and work they do to help the athletes succeed in their sport. Sadly, many schools don’t have concerns for their students and provide ATs.
I thought the NCAA required the presence of athletic trainers at all sporting events. Also, the states (so far as I know) require coaches to have first aid/emergency training. Not sure if game officials are required to have some knowledge of these procedures. If not, then they definitely should be. Bottom line is that, as you say, these ATs do a great job and that training should be as complete as possible.

6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:36 am
6x6 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:38 pm Bills’ assistant Athletic Trainer Denny Kellington was being praised for the excellent work he did during Damar Hamlin’s injury. Here is another example of the great work Athletic Trainers provide.

I thought the NCAA required the presence of athletic trainers at all sporting events. Also, the states (so far as I know) require coaches to have first aid/emergency training. Not sure if game officials are required to have some knowledge of these procedures. If not, then they definitely should be. Bottom line is that, as you say, these ATs do a great job and that training should be as complete as possible.
You’re correct, NCAA affiliated schools must have ATs. Though required, they don’t hire enough ATs to adequately cover all the various sports they participate in. The situation with high schools is much worse. Sadly, 30+ percent of high schools nationwide do not have ATs. Some schools that do, only have part time assistance. The percentage of private high schools without athletic trainers at all is even greater, approximately 46 pct.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Damar Hamlin goes home to recuperate:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hamlin+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://media.tegna-media.com/assets/WT ... 0x1080.jpg

What great news. I wish him the best for a quick and full recovery.

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

AFC playoff picture and seeding
No. 1: Kansas City Chiefs
No. 2: Buffalo Bills
No. 3: Cincinnati Bengals
No. 4: Jacksonville Jaguars
No. 5: Los Angeles Chargers
No. 6: Baltimore Ravens
No. 7: Miami Dolphins

NFC playoff picture and seeding
No. 1: Philadelphia Eagles
No. 2: San Francisco 49ers
No. 3: Minnesota Vikings
No. 4: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
No. 5: Dallas Cowboys
No. 6: New York Giants
No. 7: Seattle Seahawks

2023 NFL playoffs TV schedule, dates and kickoff times
NFL wild-card weekend schedule

(7) Seattle Seahawks at (2) San Francisco 49ers
Saturday, January 14
Time: 4:30 p.m. ET
TV channel: Fox
BetMGM line: 49ers -9.5
Previous meetings this season: 49ers 27, Seahawks 7 (Sept. 18 at SF); 49ers 21, Seahawks 13 (Dec. 15 at SEA)
Announcers: Joe Davis (play-by-play), Daryl Johnston (color), Pam Oliver (sideline)

(5) Los Angeles Chargers at (4) Jacksonville Jaguars
Saturday, January 14
Time: 8:15 p.m. ET
TV channel: NBC
BetMGM line: Chargers -2
Previous meetings this season: Jaguars 38, Chargers 10 (Sept. 25 at LA)
Announcers: Al Michaels (play-by-play), Tony Dungy (color)

(7) Miami Dolphins at (2) Buffalo Bills
Sunday, January 15
Time: 1 p.m. ET
TV channel: CBS
BetMGM line: Bills -13
Previous meetings this season: Dolphins 21, Bills 19 (Sept. 25 at MIA); Bills 32, Dolphins 29 (Dec. 17 at BUF)
Announcers: Jim Nantz (play-by-play), Tony Romo (color), Tracy Wolfson (sideline)

(6) New York Giants at (3) Minnesota Vikings
Sunday, January 15
Time: 4:30 p.m. ET
TV channel: Fox
BetMGM line: Vikings -3
Previous meetings this season: Vikings 27, Giants 24 (December 24 at MIN)
Announcers: Kevin Burkhardt (play-by-play), Greg Olsen (color), Erin Andrews (sideline), Tom Rinaldi (sideline)

(6) Baltimore Ravens at (3) Cincinnati Bengals
Sunday, January 15
TV channel: NBC
BetMGM line: Bengals -8.5
Previous meetings this season: Ravens 19, Bengals 17 (Oct. 9 at BAL); Bengals 27, Ravens 16 (Jan. 8 at CIN)
Announcers: Mike Tirico (play-by-play), Cris Collinsworth (color), Melissa Stark (sideline)

(5) Dallas Cowboys at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Monday, January 16
TV channel: ESPN
BetMGM line: Cowboys -2.5
Previous meetings this season: Buccaneers 19, Cowboys 3 (Sept. 11 at DAL)
Announcers: Joe Buck (play-by-play), Troy Aikman (color), Lisa Salters (sideline)

NFL divisional round schedule
The NFL has yet to announce game times for the NFL divisional round. The No. 1 seeds in both conferences — the Chiefs and the Eagles — will host opponents in the divisional round.
Saturday, Jan. 21
Sunday, Jan. 22

NFL conference championships schedule
The NFL has yet to announce details regarding the conference championships. Both games are set to take place Jan. 29.
NFC conference championship: Sunday, Jan. 29
AFC conference championship: Sunday, Jan. 29

Super Bowl LVII schedule
Super Bowl LVII: Feb. 12 at at 6:30 p.m. ET at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.
Super Bowl LVII will be broadcast on Fox and streamed on the Fox Sports website, the Fox Sports app, the NFL+ app, Hulu, fuboTV and Sling TV.
Kevin Burkhardt will call play-by-play, former NFL tight end Greg Olsen will provide color commentary and Erin Andrews and Tom Rinaldi will be the sideline reporters for the contest.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NY Giants defeat Vikings:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ny+gian ... e&ie=UTF-8

I attended a youth club level hockey double header today and missed the start of this game. Earlier today I listened to the local know nothings who broadcast Vikings games. These half witted crap for brains said that the Giants had no business being on the field with the Vikes and that they had no possible hope of winning. I wonder how these jackanapes feel now. Over my many years I've watched/listened to sportscasters from cities such as NY, Boston, Baltimore, Philly, Miami, Chicago, and a handful more. Most generally know their sports both in their towns and throughout each league. But never have I ever seen such a bunch of half witted know nothings than these yokels from Lake Wobegone. They are an embarrassment. This is why I rarely listen to or watch local sports shows anyone and much prefer to listen/watch national sports shows.

Kudos to the Giants. And the same to the Vikes for giving it their best.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”