2018 Midterm Elections

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2018 Midterm Elections

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote:I will accept my humility/humiliation on this one. Tried some leftover cranberry relish on some of my wifes leftover turkey leg. It was okay, I will always prefer gravy. BTW our cranberry relish is different than most. Ground up cranberries with orange zest and orange juice with just enough sugar to mellow it out. I am willing to accept the fact that cranberry relish/sauce is okay on turkey. I bow to the huddled masses in abject humility/humiliation... :oops:
That relish sounds good.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

It is very good TLD. It was my grandmothers recipe. The cranberries were ground up in an old school countertop meat grinder. I helped my mom make this every Thanksgiving in our house for years. It was very simple and it is a hundred times better than cranberry sauce out of a can. Sadly I never thought to make a turkey sandwich with it as a condiment.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote:It is very good TLD. It was my grandmothers recipe. The cranberries were ground up in an old school countertop meat grinder. I helped my mom make this every Thanksgiving in our house for years. It was very simple and it is a hundred times better than cranberry sauce out of a can. Sadly I never thought to make a turkey sandwich with it as a condiment.
Never too late for even an old dog to learn a new trick.

I think there's also something really special about preserving old family recipes, passing them down over the generations. Somehow the tradition of it adds to the flavorful experience. Hope yours gets enjoyed for generations to come.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:It is very good TLD. It was my grandmothers recipe. The cranberries were ground up in an old school countertop meat grinder. I helped my mom make this every Thanksgiving in our house for years. It was very simple and it is a hundred times better than cranberry sauce out of a can. Sadly I never thought to make a turkey sandwich with it as a condiment.
Never too late for even an old dog to learn a new trick.

I think there's also something really special about preserving old family recipes, passing them down over the generations. Somehow the tradition of it adds to the flavorful experience. Hope yours gets enjoyed for generations to come.
Each year I make a cheesecake from a recipe used by my great grandmother. It's simple and light.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

If you get a craving for some cheesecake, TLD, try this, it's ridiculously easy and very tasty. Tastes like cheesecake, every person who tries it says the same and grabs for another one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFc0aYGtk-c
(I think she puts much more melted butter on top than needed, but to each his own. Do wait for it to cool, that's when it's best.)
My mother used to make the best cheesecake on the face of the earth...old German recipe, made it from scratch, was nothing like you get here in the States...unfortunately I have no idea how to make it.
Glad you tried the cranberry on the turkey, cradle, pretty tasty combination. Had some cranberry sauce/relish (whatever you call it) like you describe this Thanksgiving, was very good. Simple to make, am going to make some. That canned garbage shouldn't even be served.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

This year, in honor of legalization, I gave the Thanksgiving crowd mason jars (8oz jar/one ounce of product ) with little turkeys on top as gifts. Doesn't taste good on cranberry sauce tho......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cIePqd ... CrpUegwbSQ
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
CU77

Post by CU77 »

TJ Cox defeated three-term Republican Rep. David Valadao on Wednesday, giving Democrats a gain of seven House seats in California and 40 nationwide — the party’s strongest midterm showing since the Watergate era in the mid-1970s.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-me- ... story.html

This is exactly what I predicted would happen in California after the Republicans passed their tax plan: a loss of 7 seats in the House, half the Republican delegation.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

CU77 wrote:
TJ Cox defeated three-term Republican Rep. David Valadao on Wednesday, giving Democrats a gain of seven House seats in California and 40 nationwide — the party’s strongest midterm showing since the Watergate era in the mid-1970s.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-me- ... story.html

This is exactly what I predicted would happen in California after the Republicans passed their tax plan: a loss of 7 seats in the House, half the Republican delegation.
You did.

While my gut was right on the Senate races, I completely miscalled the House - I thought the dems would pick up seats in the high single digits - clearly wrong....

The results in the house are a reason to pause in terms of setting our hair on fire regarding gerrymandering. I hate it, and have repeatedly said what I think makes sense (school district based) - but maybe it isn't as broken as we thought. Of course Trump just might turn off enough people to make it not matter - but even still that gives some hope regarding the system....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

HooDat wrote:The results in the house are a reason to pause in terms of setting our hair on fire regarding gerrymandering. I hate it, and have repeatedly said what I think makes sense (school district based) - but maybe it isn't as broken as we thought. Of course Trump just might turn off enough people to make it not matter - but even still that gives some hope regarding the system....
Your second assertion is correct - it was just such a big swing to the other side that it overcame a lot of gerrymandered districts. Unfortunately you still saw a lot of it happen, especially at the state election level. It still needs fixing.

CU77

Post by CU77 »

HooDat wrote:The results in the house are a reason to pause in terms of setting our hair on fire regarding gerrymandering.
Actually, gerrymandering saved the Republicans from even bigger losses:
What’s Stronger Than a BlueWave? Gerrymandered Districts

When the blue wave came to North Carolina, the red levees held.

In a year in which Democrats picked up as many as 41 House seats, including in places as conservative as Oklahoma and Utah, they lost all three of their targets for pickups in one of the nation’s most closely divided states. Democrats in North Carolina earned 48.3 percent of the total vote cast in House races but won only three seats; Republicans had 50.4 percent of the vote and won 10 seats [77%].
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ering.html
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”