Post by DMac »

Just a little too pretty to not share.
Had been awhile since I'd had a Reuben.
Mighty damn tasty!!
Brooklyn

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Brooklyn »

^ 𝐓𝐨𝐨 𝐚𝐰𝐞𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

That Reuben looks good, but….
104873FB-D008-4ECD-BA13-DE2C76E82449.jpeg
104873FB-D008-4ECD-BA13-DE2C76E82449.jpeg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 789 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta show us what you did with those, a s, can't say that lima beans makes my list of favorites.
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:21 pm Gotta show us what you did with those, a s, can't say that lima beans makes my list of favorites.
Suffering Succotash
Fresh Limas, unlike canned or dried are deliciously creamy, not starchy. Shallots sautéed in butter, add water, thyme from garden, limas, s&p, cook covered then halfway add corn and roasted and diced turkey wing.
9626FEF8-A824-4E2F-AB02-05FC1259B3D3.jpeg
9626FEF8-A824-4E2F-AB02-05FC1259B3D3.jpeg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 767 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

This is not my favorite looking dish that you've put out there....it's those lima beans!
I will pick some up and give them a fair shot, maybe I'll feel differently about fresh
ones. If a guest at someone's house I'd eat 'em if that's what being served but they're
not something I'd be serving if you were a guest at my house. Your enjoying the dish is
the only thing that matters and I'm sure that's made exactly the way it should be.
Bon appetite.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:00 pm Just a little too pretty to not share.
Had been awhile since I'd had a Reuben.
Mighty damn tasty!!
Where’s the meat? That’s a lot of bread and cheese in proportion. Looks good otherwise.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:08 pm That Reuben looks good, but….
104873FB-D008-4ECD-BA13-DE2C76E82449.jpeg
My kids eat like four vegetables (son is better than daughter) but they both strangely love Lima beans for what reason I cannot explain.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:31 am Where’s the meat? That’s a lot of bread and cheese in proportion. Looks good otherwise.
Guess it just looks that way in the picture (to you), was no shortage of meat there.
That thing was really good, just the right amount of swiss, corned beef, and kraut.
Mix a little ketchup, mayo, and sweet relish up and voi la, Russian dressing to top
it all off. That marble rye is really good bread, perfect for a Reuben.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

I'm another fan of Lima Beans; love 'em.
And Reuben's and Pastrami on Rye...

About once a year I head to the German Gourmet in Falls Church Virginia to pick up some goodies: beer, potato pancakes and, especiall, liverwurst. Just love a liverwurst sandwich!!! (It's my German half speaking)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Big fan of liverwurst too, can do it with mustard or mayo, tomato or onion. Good stuff.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

My wife and I had this discussion while she was turning our very hearty crop of Roma tomatoes into sauce. What are the 3 must have meat ingredients in any sauce?? My wife has the list down pat. Correct me if I am wrong. Here goes.. meatballs, baked not fried, really good hot Italian sausage, the must have meat... pork hocks. I have one more question to ask... Is it sauce or is it gravy??? My wife is Sicilian and gravy is the only correct answer in her book. I use the term sauce only so I can yet again be informed how wrong I am. So my wifes gravy is looking and smelling just like some really good sauce. One last question. Is it spaghetti and meatballs or is it macaroni and gravy?? If your of Sicilian heritage there is only one correct answer.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This is pretty cool, saw this video the other day but can't find it again.
Melt a stick of butter and pour it into the bottom of a bundt pan, throw some sugar and cinnamon in there.
Three tubes of those cinnamon rolls you can buy, pop them open and lay them in the pan horizontally, keep
them all in one piece, don't separate them. Gotta bake 'em for 30-35 min at 400 degrees.
One pkg of cream cheese, abt 3/4 cup sugar, little bit of vanilla, whip that up with a beater. Spread it around
the cinnamon rolls when still hot. Pretty tasty sweet treat, simple to make.

Edit for flavor, Photo #2.
C'mon, really is just too tasty. The cream cheese spread/icing/frosting/concoction is a really nice combination with the cinnamon.
Baking 101, no previous experience or particular skills required.
Oh, pre sampling toke is optional but recommended.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Was just walking in the woods with the dog and found a bunch of paw-paw trees, with some remaining fruit on a few of the trees. Anyone have any recipes they have used. Gonna give them a whirl. I have lived in Md all my life and never heard of them until today...well, maybe I have and I just didnt care to pay attention.

https://wellness.umbc.edu/whats-new/pos ... 0September.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:48 pm Was just walking in the woods with the dog and found a bunch of paw-paw trees, with some remaining fruit on a few of the trees. Anyone have any recipes they have used. Gonna give them a whirl. I have lived in Md all my life and never heard of them until today...well, maybe I have and I just didnt care to pay attention.

But for pawpaws Lewis and Clark might not have made it.
Never heard of pawpaws, some 18th century lessons and
pudding recipe. Pretty sure you could make it right handed too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-85vpDKEI
Oh my, you gotta knock this one out, youth. Give us a report.
I like the redhead too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aypkior-xR8
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:48 pm Was just walking in the woods with the dog and found a bunch of paw-paw trees, with some remaining fruit on a few of the trees. Anyone have any recipes they have used. Gonna give them a whirl. I have lived in Md all my life and never heard of them until today...well, maybe I have and I just didnt care to pay attention.

I like the redhead too.
I may give that cheesecake a try, thanks. Once I confirm the pulp is good after I open them up, I'll make the call and keep ya posted.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

I’ve know about paw paws for a long time but have never had one or seen any culinary examples.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I like the redhead too.

I checked but couldn't find any place that sells paw paw pie or pastry. Interestingly, they sell trees and seeds for growing your own trees here in Lake Wobegone. But no pies! Am intrigued - will keep looking.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Good day at the farmers market. Whole bunch of baby turnips. Greens washed for a latter meal, bulbs tournée cut (peeled with knife giving them a five sided shape) to be blanched then sautéed with butter with tonight’s halibut. Also, gumdrop tomatoes of which I peeled three for tonight. Not seen are more Lima beans as their season is very short.
EFDD83D5-75BF-4ED6-A0B7-D752E7E24E71.jpeg
EFDD83D5-75BF-4ED6-A0B7-D752E7E24E71.jpeg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Also made a batch of pesto with basil from my herb garden.
86CA0296-96EF-48A5-8663-AEDD1577B7F2.jpeg
86CA0296-96EF-48A5-8663-AEDD1577B7F2.jpeg (120.38 KiB) Viewed 606 times
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I like the redhead too.
Home Run. I chose simple, and I already had everything in the home, with the exception of a pie crust.

PawPaw Custard Pit
1 cup or more of mushed pawpaw ( just used a fork, I wanted to keep it really simple and not purée)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup of whole milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
3-4 tablespoons of honey
Mix it all up and pour in to a pie crust.
Cooked at 425 for 15 minutes, then lowered temp to 325 for about 40 minutes, until clean pull in the middle.

In the one picture is some leftover I just poured in a small dish. I ate that warm out of the oven......OMG, it was amazing. It taste like warmed Crème Brûlée mixed with warmed moist banana/pear bread.

Let the pie cool then put in fridge. Just shared a piece with the wife after dinner and she also loved it. A unique taste....my wife said, texture and hint of banana/ripe pear with a citrus zest. She nailed it. I am officially a paw paw fan.

~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”