Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
thatsmell

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by thatsmell »

He wasn't on the '99 team, but Loyola did land one of the greatest mid-year transfer of all time heading in to their 2000 season too.

Gannon University in Erie, PA cancelled its lax program in the fall of '99. D2 leading scorer and Canadian box phenom Gavin Prout was welcomed at Loyola and he ended up as a 2-time All American for the Hounds. He graduated from Evergreen as another 1st teamer and eventual 1st overall pick in the NLL. Pretty sure he was Colorado Mammoth's all time assist leader.

Like Toomey, Cottle really found some hidden gems.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:04 pm|

2019 take

" Chase Scanlan is a remarkable talent"

"Scanlan imo is the single best freshman in the country. His dodging skills plus his confidence are what was missing from last year's team. Scanlan gives the Hounds this other iso threat beside Spencer, opening the field up for exceptionally talented finishers like Lindley and Olmstead (and Duffy and McGovern and Brown etc...)."

I agree. With me.

Today though, I'd take Desimone over Scanlan for more reasons than I care to write! I will list a few though as I have zero to occupy my head: 1. I don't think Scanlan is the ISO guy I thought he was. 2. Team unity. 3. Scoring 16 for Hop as a freshman is like scoring 80 for any other team (the old saw about the only guy who could keep Michael Jordan below 20 points-per-game was Dean Smith...).

Anyhoo, I like the 2020 Hounds way more than the 2019 version. I'm missing Pat and Jacob of course, but the general team spirit is higher this year and the reasons have a lot to do with how the team sees itself.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:09 pm He wasn't on the '99 team, but Loyola did land one of the greatest mid-year transfer of all time heading in to their 2000 season too.

Gannon University in Erie, PA cancelled its lax program in the fall of '99. D2 leading scorer and Canadian box phenom Gavin Prout was welcomed at Loyola and he ended up as a 2-time All American for the Hounds. He graduated from Evergreen as another 1st teamer and eventual 1st overall pick in the NLL. Pretty sure he was Colorado Mammoth's all time assist leader.

What a nightmare of a route that guy had to take.
I think he was at Mercyhurst prior to Gannon, and that program also shut down.
Fortunate for those Canadian box players they have many more options available to them.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:09 pm He wasn't on the '99 team, but Loyola did land one of the greatest mid-year transfer of all time heading in to their 2000 season too.

Looking back with a quick history search, Loyola really does take in transfers and makes a fair amount of them shine. I'm sure other programs do that as well but still... impressive. A query of this would yield names like

Alex McGovern (Originally Unc)
Gavin Prout (Gannon University)
Brian Sherlock (Unc)
I'm blanking on his name but the transfer who came in from Duke in 05-06
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Collin Finnerty
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Over many beers last night and perhaps a shot of whiskey or two, a few of us were in a bar in let's call it Northern Virginia having a very spirited debate about which D1 team we'd prefer to put a beatdown on more this coming season, Hopkins or UVA. And no ordinary beatdown, but a complete humiliating thrashing, like what the Hounds did to both squads last year. Which overwhelming victory would give you more good feelz.

It may surprise some here to know that I chose UVA, my principal reason being they're simply a better program than Hopkins and of course returning Natty's.

I prefer to slay Goliaths, not Davids.

Anyone else free to chime in now that my hangover is gone.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:50 am Over many beers last night and perhaps a shot of whiskey or two, a few of us were in a bar in let's call it Northern Virginia having a very spirited debate about which D1 team we'd prefer to put a beatdown on more this coming season
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Poor Hopfan16, emblematic of so much that ails the program formerly revered as superb...as I said, beating them down is tantamount to a mercy kill. :lol:

Psychological projection is a defence mechanism in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.

I'd far prefer to crush UVA than Hop...I almost feel sorry for that program anymore. At Petro's development rate of Desimone, he'll go off for 1 goal this year? :lol:
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:06 am Poor Hopfan16, emblematic of so much that ails the program formerly revered as superb...as I said, beating them down is tantamount to a mercy kill. :lol:

Psychological projection is a defence mechanism in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.

I'd far prefer to crush UVA than Hop...I almost feel sorry for that program anymore. At Petro's development rate of Desimone, he'll go off for 1 goal this year? :lol:
Uhmm.... isn’t this what you’re doing too PB with all the shots you’re taking?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:06 am Poor Hopfan16, emblematic of so much that ails the program formerly revered as superb...as I said, beating them down is tantamount to a mercy kill. :lol:

Definitely a Hopkins plant. :o
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 am
houndace1 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 am

Definitely a Hopkins plant. :o
WOuld you like me to show you the Loyola degree..... No i just want to defend the school that my sister went to... family ties..
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Looking back with a quick history search, Loyola really does take in transfers and makes a fair amount of them shine. I'm sure other programs do that as well but still... impressive. A query of this would yield names like

Brian Sherlock (Unc)
Did Riley Seay, the SOCON Freshman of the year FOGO ever end up at Evergreen?
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Brian Sherlock (Unc)
OR Jack Decker from Marist?

I assume these kids may have had to sit a year.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Loyola also had success with Yale transfer Dan Kallaugher who attended Evergreen to get his MBA from the Sellinger School.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Riley Seay
Midfield
Mount Pleasant, S.C. • Oceanside Collegiate Academy • Bellarmine

2018 (Freshman at Bellarmine): Named the SOuther Conference's Freshman of the Year and was selected to the All-SoCon Second Team and All-Freshman Team… Southern Conference Academic Honor Roll member… Led the Knights in points (39) and goals (30)… Fourth on the squad in assists (9)… Finished sixth in the Southern Conference in goals per game (2.31) and 10th in points per game (3.0)… Started all 13 games.. Scored his first collegiate goal in his Bellarmine debut against Wagner… Scored twice versus then-No. 19 Marquette… Had his first collegiate hat trick with four goals and an assist to go with a season-best four ground balls against Robert Morris… Scored a season-high five goals in addition to two assists versus Detroit Mercy… Scored twice versus Utah… Had a hat trick against Jacksonville and later had two goals and an assist against Richmond… Tallied a hat trick in a win over Furman… Scored three times and had an assist versus then-No. 11 High Point… Scored twice against Air Force.

Before College: Was a standout player at Oceanside Collegiate Academy in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina… Will be Loyola's first lacrosse player from South Carolina.
14 incoming

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/news/2019/ ... ogram.aspx
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Brian Sherlock (Unc)
True true, was meaning to put him in.

Also Cam James from NAPS, Millhouse from UVA
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Guess they didn’t think much of Seay coming out of SC, maybe due to size, maybe due to competition in prep/high school.

That class looks a lot better with Seay in it.

And also, Teitelbaum is a top 100 player.
If Teitelbaum has half the quickness of his brother Chre, Colton should be just fine.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm Guess they didn’t think much of Seay coming out of SC, maybe due to size, maybe due to competition in prep/high school.

If Teitelbaum has half the quickness of his brother Chre, Colton should be just fine.

Certainly no offense to Chre, whom I saw play, but Colton is significantly stronger in cage on any metric...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm Guess they didn’t think much of Seay coming out of SC, maybe due to size, maybe due to competition in prep/high school.

The most underrated class in D1...I'd have them #1 but you guys would accuse me of being un-objective. That said, this is the best incoming class in the United States. As you shall soon see.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Certainly no offense to Chre, whom I saw play, but Colton is significantly stronger in cage on any metric...
I would assume so, that he picked the slack from where his brother left off.
There were games, Chre was so quick on the shots, quicker than most goalies.
He lacked some discipline in cage, and also mental toughness.
So this is where Colton hopefully learned from his brothers experiences.
Great situation also for Teitelbaum, given Stover’s graduation.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”