Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

-last week we were d3, this week we're georgetown. ok.
-QK and others have made a big deal about what a painful job hop hc is but I'm reading the scanlan saga on social media and it sounds like desko has a 3 ring circus up there. I was not aware that desko has to do a midweek news conference. college_crosse does a really nice job on twitter sorting through their madness.
-Because we don't have much media coverage it's not really clear why so many veterans are sitting and what PM will do for a lineup this weekend w/season on the line. attack you know, emo, man down, but then to the midfield it feels like he only trusts 4 guys right now w/peshko off the bench. Martin, szulak, jaronski, marcille of course have seen the field more and more in recent weeks, but the lynes and mabetts have more experience.
-If you're looking for a pick me up they still have early registration homecoming in a box available-I don't think you have to have a reunion this year to sign up and get one. Those of you who are insiders might want to inform your folks at homewood the game is not at 2.
https://jhu.events.alumniq.com/schedule/aw21/
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:45 pm Okay, reality check. I don’t think at this point that Hopkins has anything to offer that is better than what Georgetown has to offer except possibly a more rigorous science curriculum that most lacrosse players are not interested in, while they attempt to navigate the rigors of D1 lacrosse. Homewood is not NW DC. No basketball. DC nightlife superior to the Block. It’s a difficult task to beat out the likes of most universities in the recruiting arena unless you can promise Nattys. Those days seem gone. Sorry but that’s how I am seeing it now.
Oh, so we are at this point in the page count that we are back to Hopkins location doesn't attract top recruits.

While school matters, what matters most to a majority of recruits are (not necessarily in this order)
- am I going to play
- do I like the coach
- does the system work for my skillset
- is there potential to win championships
- is the program set up to support winning championships (i.e. weight room, etc.)
- does it have my major I want
- can I get a good job after school
- will my parents/friends/family be able to watch me play
- are the girls on campus hot. If not, are there hot girls on nearby college campuses.

Way down the list are things like
- is it close to where the stripers hang out (btw, Baltimore strip clubs blow away DC strip clubs).
- is the night life better (this is college - there is always night life)
- do I need a car to visit said strip clubs

Things that concern parents
- is it safe
- will Johnny be in bed by 11 PM every night
- will I get to watch Johnny play
- will Johnny get a good job so he doesn't come back and live at home for the next decade

In other words, winning cures all ills. If Hopkins was winning, all the stuff we are currently complaining about would disappear.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:15 am
-If you're looking for a pick me up they still have early registration homecoming in a box available-I don't think you have to have a reunion this year to sign up and get one. Those of you who are insiders might want to inform your folks at homewood the game is not at 2.
Wait, you mean people aren't lining up for a virtual homecoming. No way. This is my year for homecoming and a couple of organizers have been begging me to sign up because their numbers are pathetic. Something like only 20 people in our class year have signed up - and this is a pretty significant year. I've told them. "Sorry I see no reason to do a Zoom reunion when I can see most of the people I want to hang our from Hopkins in person. Reunions are about seeing the people you don't see in person (though you see some on FB) to catch-up. Doing it on Zoom is lame." Though I've been told the reunion chairs are talking about figuring out a way to hold another reunion next year or something like that.

Further, on 5/1 my oldest as warm-ups for her game at 7:15 AM and we don't finish until 5:30 pm with my youngest 6 v 6 8U lax game (and there are 5 other games in between). So I'm a little busy.
Last edited by steel_hop on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:45 pm Okay, reality check. I don’t think at this point that Hopkins has anything to offer that is better than what Georgetown has to offer except possibly a more rigorous science curriculum that most lacrosse players are not interested in, while they attempt to navigate the rigors of D1 lacrosse. Homewood is not NW DC. No basketball. DC nightlife superior to the Block. It’s a difficult task to beat out the likes of most universities in the recruiting arena unless you can promise Nattys. Those days seem gone. Sorry but that’s how I am seeing it now.
You have to do some real mental gymnastics to arrive at the conclusion that Hopkins offers *nothing* that Georgetown doesn't. The absolute first thing that comes to mind can be summed up by one statistic. Here is the average home attendance for both teams in 2019, the most recent complete season in which fans were allowed:

Hopkins - 2,489 (#3 in nation)
GTown - 741 (#33 in nation)

Georgetown still has a lot of work to do to build up the profile of its lacrosse program. If they keep winning that will help. But they do not have the infrastructure, alumni base, fan base, passion, or tradition that Hopkins lacrosse does. If you're a recruit, and being the center of attention is something you care about, and you want the feeling that there are lots of people out there who are invested in your success—then Hopkins is a superior option. I mean, just look at this thread compared to Georgetown's—most of this is complete nonsense as we know but I think it underscores the point that lacrosse matters at Hopkins while as of today—and maybe this will change one day—it's a relative afterthought at a place like Georgetown. For some recruits that won't matter. For some it does.

That's just one thing, there are others. Hopkins is not everyone's cup of tea, but neither is a Jesuit school. I don't know how much a selling point their basketball program is unless you're a huge Patrick Ewing fan...they haven't won an NCAA tournament game in quite awhile. I don't know GTown's financial aid situation but I do know that Hop's has gotten quite generous in recent years. Your point about NW DC vs. Baltimore is well taken—I personally would probably rather live in Georgetown than Charles Village, though CV does have its charms, and while Baltimore has issues, it's not The Wire. As far as I know I haven't heard about any Hopkins lacrosse players being forced to work the corners in Hamsterdam.

I did not mean to say they are the exact same school. They clearly aren't. The point is that the general profile of each school is similar when you look at the big picture. The undergraduate populations are similarly sized, they are in similar geographic areas, both are great institutions, etc. I imagine that a decent chunk of recruits who end up at Hopkins and Georgetown had at one point considered the other school too. If Georgetown can turn their program around after a stretch of being pretty bad (look at their 2016 season!) then all I'm saying is I think it's *possible* Hopkins can do the same. But it requires an internal culture change—which Georgetown did, and now they are reaping the benefits. That program may not have been fixed without it no matter how attractive you think the school is to recruits.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 am Your point about NW DC vs. Baltimore is well taken—I personally would probably rather live in Georgetown than Charles Village, though CV does have its charms,
Another good point. G-Town area is certainly more of a happening area than CV. But, as a poor college student CV and Baltimore and about 50% cheaper to go out and enjoy yourself than NW DC.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Ah, the insanity of a Virtual Lacrosse Game Watch Party

Virtual Lacrosse Game Watch Party
Saturday, May 1, 2p.m. - 4p.m. EDT | Virtual Program

Too bad the game is at 6 PM.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 am
Wait, you mean people aren't lining up for a virtual homecoming. No way. This is my year for homecoming and a couple of organizers have been begging me to sign up because their numbers are pathetic. Something like only 20 people in our class year have signed up - and this is a pretty significant year. I've told them. "Sorry I see no reason to do a Zoom reunion when I can see most of the people I want to hang our from Hopkins in person. Reunions are about seeing the people you don't see in person (though you see some on FB) to catch-up. Doing it on Zoom is lame." Though I've been told the reunion chairs are talking about figuring out a way to hold another reunion next year or something like that.

Further, on 5/1 my oldest as warm-ups for her game at 7:15 AM and we don't finish until 5:30 pm with my youngest 6 v 6 8U lax game (and there are 5 other games in between). So I'm a little busy.
-They're doing the best they can.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:16 am Ah, the insanity of a Virtual Lacrosse Game Watch Party

What do you mean? The Homecoming game is always Saturday at 2:00.

But maybe we need four hours of pre-game to better inform us about all the bad things in JHU's history to prepare us for the close.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:24 am
steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 am

-They're doing the best they can.
The best they can would have been to kick the events a year. Sucks but tell people we are doing this next year. Tell them it will be a joint 1-3s joint events and a 5-7's joint events and just find bigger venues. It is absurd otherwise.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:16 am Ah, the insanity of a Virtual Lacrosse Game Watch Party

"Due to last minute scheduling changes with the game, we will be showing a past game at 2:00pm ET on Saturday, 5/1."
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:30 pm

"Due to last minute scheduling changes with the game, we will be showing a past game at 2:00pm ET on Saturday, 5/1."
Maybe they will show the 2013 Loyola Homecoming stinker.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

A perfect motto for the ‘21 season. “At least we aren’t Cuse”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Milliman with a relatively upbeat alumni email today. With the understanding that they ultimately did not win the game, he liked the effort and enthusiasm from the players and called it a crucial step forward.

"Our team demonstrated an understanding and belief that we had not yet played to our full potential. When we do, we can compete with any team in the nation. Saturday’s performance has set the bar for how we need to prepare and compete moving into this post-season and beyond...We maintained an attitude and a sense of urgency that will no doubt help us return to the winning culture worthy of Johns Hopkins Lacrosse. Now our challenge is to live up to the standard we set for ourselves this past weekend and continue to push that bar higher."

Skipped some stuff but you get the point. He also applauded all three captains (yes including Epstein) for setting the tone in practice and showing discipline.

If they play like that again they'll beat PSU this weekend, but obviously they have not been able to play like that consistently (or even just two weeks in a row) this season. Now would be a great time to start.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:04 pm A perfect motto for the ‘21 season. “At least we aren’t Cuse”
Always fun to rag on SU, but they beat UVA twice this year, even with locker room drama. Whom have we beaten twice?

Edit: I found a rumor, and learned two things:
- As much as I hate when insiders here play "I got a secret", our posters here conduct themselves admirably.
- If the worst version of the rumor were to be proven correct, my snark above would have badly missed the point.
Last edited by 44WeWantMore on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

What am I missing re: Cuse?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:12 pm What am I missing re: Cuse?
Oh, nevermind. I took a peek. Saw a bunch of posters. Their own little world. Enjoy.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:45 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:04 pm A perfect motto for the ‘21 season. “At least we aren’t Cuse”
Always fun to rag on SU, but they beat UVA twice this year, even with locker room drama. Whom have we beaten twice?

Edit: I found a rumor, and learned two things:
- As much as I hate when insiders here play "I got a secret", our posters here conduct themselves admirably.
- If the worst version of the rumor were to be proven correct, my snark above would have badly missed the point.
Yeah. Sounds like an awful situation. Doing some reading of the various articles on the kid sounds like someone that has seen almost everyone bend around to his view and has an interesting view on life (and I'll just leave it at that). I certainly wouldn't want to be in Desko's shoes. And, if the reports are true about the team threatening to walk out for the reasons being stated. More power to them and to the SU female for taking action.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Mighty quiet around here. How we all feeling about PSU? Cautiously optimistic here. My biggest worry is at the face-off dot. The optimist in me thinks Marcille will be fine.
calourie

Post by calourie »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:14 pm Milliman with a relatively upbeat alumni email today. With the understanding that they ultimately did not win the game, he liked the effort and enthusiasm from the players and called it a crucial step forward.

"Our team demonstrated an understanding and belief that we had not yet played to our full potential. When we do, we can compete with any team in the nation. Saturday’s performance has set the bar for how we need to prepare and compete moving into this post-season and beyond...We maintained an attitude and a sense of urgency that will no doubt help us return to the winning culture worthy of Johns Hopkins Lacrosse. Now our challenge is to live up to the standard we set for ourselves this past weekend and continue to push that bar higher."

Skipped some stuff but you get the point. He also applauded all three captains (yes including Epstein) for setting the tone in practice and showing discipline.

If they play like that again they'll beat PSU this weekend, but obviously they have not been able to play like that consistently (or even just two weeks in a row) this season. Now would be a great time to start.
Maryland-Hopkins last game was a treat to watch. Extremely hard fought. Was every bit as entertaining as the slugfests going on in the ACC. Hop looked liked the superior team from midway through the first to the last 3 minutes of the game. Terps seemed a bit surprised by the level of intensity the Jays were able to muster rendered even more remarkable given that the Jays only had 2 wins to show for the season up until that point. Needs to be an ongoing effort for it to become an inflection point.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

things I'm watching saturday
-This is PM's 4th game in 12 against tambroni-who wins the chess match
-can they play 60 consistent minutes
-do the young guys-grimes, marcille, peshko, means, martin,szulak, jaronski, dunn, mcmanus, mcdermott show they deserve to go into next year as options
-who starts at close d
-fates of mabett, schilling, keough, zinn, lilly, kirson, lyne, prouty, dipietro, angelus
-after 11 games what improvement do we see from the defense
-which epstein shows up
-narewski at the X
-who are we seeing for the last time(s) in a uniform
-does the school let everyone travel-I guess the rules are strict, but the kids have also been through a lot
-what kind of broadcast does btn put out
-does Belichek offer cole williams an invite to training camp as a tight end at the end of the draft.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”