Conservative Ideology 2024: NOTHING BUT LIES AND FEARMONGERING

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: Conservative Ideology

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:58 am
Interesting read. Curious....do you buy what the political scientist is selling or do you have your own theory?
I think his view has some merit; there is little question that the urban-rural divide in this country is real, and is being used by politicians to divide and conquer. Let me recommend a book: Uncivil Agreement, by a woman named Lilliana Mason. She's a social psychologist, who posits that we are not divided as much by policy anymore. Policy divisions (on most issues anyway) allow for discussion, and the necessary deals in Congress cut in the name of consensus. Mason says that social identity with one's party and the intense desire to be on the winning side has outstripped policy issues for people. "Own the libs," even when the ownership translated into policy doesn't help me. Sounds familiar. It is a really compelling book. It comes from academia, but I didn't find it to be partisan -- it was a compelling social commentary.

Personally, I do believe that Republicans (the Trump, Jordan and McCarthy types that appear to now run the show) now choose victory and office-retention over the common good. You may well cavil with that and may well say that both parties are doing it. But within the GOP, the desire to hold on to office, at all costs -- even at the cost of profound injury to the Republic -- is simply more intense and more on display. Ask Liz Cheney.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:43 pm
Interesting read. Curious....do you buy what the political scientist is selling or do you have your own theory?
I think his view has some merit; there is little question that the urban-rural divide in this country is real, and is being used by politicians to divide and conquer. Let me recommend a book: Uncivil Agreement, by a woman named Lilliana Mason. She's a social psychologist, who posits that we are not divided as much by policy anymore. Policy divisions (on most issues anyway) allow for discussion, and the necessary deals in Congress cut in the name of consensus. Mason says that social identity with one's party and the intense desire to be on the winning side has outstripped policy issues for people. "Own the libs," even when the ownership translated into policy doesn't help me. Sounds familiar. It is a really compelling book. It comes from academia, but I didn't find it to be partisan -- it was a compelling social commentary.

Personally, I do believe that Republicans (the Trump, Jordan and McCarthy types that appear to now run the show) now choose victory and office-retention over the common good. You may well cavil with that and may well say that both parties are doing it. But within the GOP, the desire to hold on to office, at all costs -- even at the cost of profound injury to the Republic -- is simply more intense and more on display. Ask Liz Cheney.
Except when the Republicans have all the power they don't know what to do with it. They could have written and passed any immigration law they wanted. Why did they do nothing when they had a golden opportunity? Trump's punitive border regulations were not immigration reform. Both parties have a vested interest in making sure that never happens.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:13 pm

Except when the Republicans have all the power they don't know what to do with it. They could have written and passed any immigration law they wanted. Why did they do nothing when they had a golden opportunity? Trump's punitive border regulations were not immigration reform. Both parties have a vested interest in making sure that never happens.
Re-read my post above. Why not pass immigration reform when you have the House, Senate and Presidency? Because having the issue is more important than resolving it. It is not about policy for these guys; it is about having issues with which to excoriate the other side, from which to fundraise, and about which they can say, "Unfinished business, send me back to the Senate for another six years!!!"
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Snake Oil and the Extreme Right.

Krugman is not the first to notice. I have been pointing out and questioning the advertisers on Faux News for years. There is a noticeable difference from what is seen (the frequency of snake oil ads, medical and financial) on mainstream channels.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:19 am Snake Oil and the Extreme Right.

Krugman is not the first to notice. I have been pointing out and questioning the advertisers on Faux News for years. There is a noticeable difference from what is seen (the frequency of snake oil ads, medical and financial) on mainstream channels.
junk reading.........are your hero's, the hateful NOI still keeping Baltimore safe?

Yeah....a.nother science denier, eh jhu72.

Not sure what a holes like alex jones have to do with being conservatives. No more, or less, to the point, than bringing up the hate group, NOI.

ads for thee
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

^^^ irrelevant nihilist :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:19 am Snake Oil and the Extreme Right.

and pillows, lots and lots of pillows...
DocBarrister

While the Taliban Rule Texas, Mexico Makes Progress on Women’s Rights

Post by DocBarrister »

A major unanimous ruling by the Supreme Court of Mexico.

Mexico's Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that penalizing abortion is unconstitutional, a major victory for advocates of women's health and human rights in the majority Roman Catholic nation.

… The unanimous vote by Mexico's top court comes just as north of the border, some US states have taken steps to restrict abortion access, particularly Texas, which enacted the strictest anti-abortion law in the country after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/07/americas ... index.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Texas Taliban Anti-Choice Law an Unconstitutional Delegation of State Power to Private Parties

Post by DocBarrister »

It is notable that U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland is a former student of Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Tribe.

But the new Texas law, which other states are rushing to clone, has fatal constitutional flaws — entirely apart from its attack on abortions protected by Roe v. Wade. The court’s notorious five-justice majority, which included all three of Donald Trump’s nominees, suggested that the court hadn’t previously encountered legislative schemes that confer on private individuals the power to veto the provision of lawful services. It purported to be procedurally stymied from blocking the Texas law’s manifest goal of snuffing out abortion services and wrecking the lives of many women during the year or more it will take the court to ultimately strike the Texas law down or admit that it is jettisoning Roe v. Wade.

Not true. And a Massachusetts case established the precedent.

Decades ago, recalling the court’s early 20th-century invalidation of just such schemes in cases involving land use and zoning, we successfully invoked the civil parallel of the Ku Klux Klan Act to prevent the neighbor of Harvard Square restaurant Grendel’s Den from wielding a state-conferred veto power over the issuance of any liquor license within a 500-foot radius. That statute was enacted by Congress specifically to provide a federal judicial remedy for violations of constitutional rights when state judicial remedies were blocked, as they clearly are by the structure of the Texas abortion law.

That same danger has again reared its ugly head. As with the Massachusetts liquor law, the Texas abortion law delegates quintessentially governmental power to private parties — in Texas, to literally anyone on earth with an objection to abortion, giving that individual or organization the unilateral and unfettered power to inflict criminal punishment on whoever assisted a woman, within the past four years, to terminate a pregnancy without being able to prove that the fetus didn’t have detectable cardiac activity.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09/07/ ... rtion-law/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I'll put this here, rather than SCOTUS, because it embodies the right's bizarre attitude toward women:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... n-rapists/

"Abbott also defended the controversial abortion ban as early as six weeks of pregnancy by insisting that rape and incest victims would have sufficient time to terminate unwanted pregnancies.

“Why force a rape or incest victim to carry a pregnancy to term?” a reporter asked Abbott on Tuesday.

“It doesn’t require that at all,” the governor answered, “because, obviously, it provides at least six weeks for a person to be able to get an abortion.”

The exchange between Abbott and the reporter sparked a day’s worth of backlash. Democrats in Texas and across the country derided the governor for ignoring the biological reality that most women do not find out they are pregnant until they are four weeks or more into a pregnancy.

“Greg Abbott is lying,” Julián Castro, former Housing and Urban Development secretary who served as mayor of San Antonio, said in a tweet on Tuesday. “Many women don’t even know they’re pregnant by the 6-week mark when abortion is outlawed in this bill. Rape and incest victims would be forced to carry a pregnancy to term at that point — or face civil lawsuits for getting an abortion.”

Other critics were similarly doubtful that the six-week deadline would give people enough time to recognize a pregnancy and set up an abortion.

“He speaks from such a place of deep ignorance, ignorance that is hurting people across this country,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said in an interview on CNN Tuesday night. “Six weeks late means two weeks late for your period. And two weeks late on your period for any person with a menstrual cycle can happen if you’re stressed, if your diet changes or for, really, no reason at all. So you don’t have six weeks.”

Another Democrat from New York, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, suggested expanding federal abortion protections to stop laws like the one in Texas.

“Abortion rights shouldn’t be in the hands of men like Abbott who don’t care about the impossible situation they’re putting survivors in,” Gillibrand said in a tweet on Tuesday."
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 am I'll put this here, rather than SCOTUS, because it embodies the right's bizarre attitude toward women:

"Abbott also defended the controversial abortion ban as early as six weeks of pregnancy by insisting that rape and incest victims would have sufficient time to terminate unwanted pregnancies.

“Why force a rape or incest victim to carry a pregnancy to term?” a reporter asked Abbott on Tuesday.

“It doesn’t require that at all,” the governor answered, “because, obviously, it provides at least six weeks for a person to be able to get an abortion.”

The exchange between Abbott and the reporter sparked a day’s worth of backlash. Democrats in Texas and across the country derided the governor for ignoring the biological reality that most women do not find out they are pregnant until they are four weeks or more into a pregnancy.

“Greg Abbott is lying,” Julián Castro, former Housing and Urban Development secretary who served as mayor of San Antonio, said in a tweet on Tuesday. “Many women don’t even know they’re pregnant by the 6-week mark when abortion is outlawed in this bill. Rape and incest victims would be forced to carry a pregnancy to term at that point — or face civil lawsuits for getting an abortion.”

Other critics were similarly doubtful that the six-week deadline would give people enough time to recognize a pregnancy and set up an abortion.

“He speaks from such a place of deep ignorance, ignorance that is hurting people across this country,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said in an interview on CNN Tuesday night. “Six weeks late means two weeks late for your period. And two weeks late on your period for any person with a menstrual cycle can happen if you’re stressed, if your diet changes or for, really, no reason at all. So you don’t have six weeks.”

Another Democrat from New York, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, suggested expanding federal abortion protections to stop laws like the one in Texas.

“Abortion rights shouldn’t be in the hands of men like Abbott who don’t care about the impossible situation they’re putting survivors in,” Gillibrand said in a tweet on Tuesday."
Gee.....who couldn't see this useless topic become the new tictox craze.

YEAH......abortion.......who cares about this topic. Just more easy pickings in the "Hate" and "divide" aisle.

those who have never had an abortion need to just stfu about it. or rather, why care ? Oh, right, voting rights.....that too. borefest
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:15 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 am I'll put this here, rather than SCOTUS, because it embodies the right's bizarre attitude toward women:

YEAH......abortion.......who cares about this topic. Just more easy pickings in the "Hate" and "divide" aisle.

those who have never had an abortion need to just stfu about it. or rather, why care ? Oh, right, voting rights.....that too. borefest
I too my longtime girlfriend back in the day to get one. Changed our relationship forever. Do I get a say? What is your relationship to the topic other than to wine complain and sh*t on everyone else here?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

If they are real, how does one explain why 1.1 million Massachusettes residents voted for Trump in 2016.

Where do all these "rural" types live, in Massachusettes.

Mason's conclusion about no one caring about policy is sound. Just look at these pages. Policy is rare on these threads......because its a lacrosse website. :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:59 am

If they are real, how does one explain why 1.1 million Massachusettes residents voted for Trump in 2016.

Mason's conclusion about no one caring about policy is sound. Just look at these pages. Policy is rare on these threads......because its a lacrosse website. :roll:
Western MA not known as the Berkshires or even including the Berkshires. I’ll thro in the area around Springfield mass too who put all their economic eggs in a casino basket which is small minded stuff. (Used to do business with banks in that area including Westfield, Chicopee and Berkahire bank who thought so little of western mass that they moved HQ to Boston and are now under current attack by all their shareholders and will eventually be sold by force of board-very different than the banks I deal with in Hingham, Rockland and Lowell.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:32 am

I too my longtime girlfriend back in the day to get one. Changed our relationship forever. Do I get a say? What is your relationship to the topic other than to wine complain and sh*t on everyone else here?
My relationship with the "topic" is this: Still a citizen of the USA. A neighbor to you and others. The "topic" is pointless, to our everyday lives.

Regarding the Texas, law, in particular. Very interested in the "who can sue" and "how" (process).

What gives with the "gatekeeper" mentality, of not wanting listen to others thoughts. needing skin in the game. It's nonsense to set such parameters. Stop projecting too.....

Many states haven't cleaned up their laws, including abortion. too busy fleecing us with stuff, junk we don't need

Find it interesting that most of the focus is on the procedure (abortion) and not the sick minded "sue thy neighbor" aspect of this.

because, the TAATS will take more control, any way, shape and form And those picking 'sides" , with false pride, feel emporeeeeeeeeeeee
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:11 am

My relationship with the "topic" is this: Still a citizen of the USA. A neighbor to you and others. The "topic" is pointless, to our everyday lives.

Regarding the Texas, law, in particular. Very interested in the "who can sue" and "how" (process).

What gives with the "gatekeeper" mentality, of not wanting listen to others thoughts. needing skin in the game. It's nonsense to set such parameters. Stop projecting too.....

Many states haven't cleaned up their laws, including abortion. too busy fleecing us with stuff, junk we don't need

Find it interesting that most of the focus is on the procedure (abortion) and not the sick minded "sue thy neighbor" aspect of this.

because, the TAATS will take more control, any way, shape and form And those picking 'sides" , with false pride, feel emporeeeeeeeeeeee
You don’t have thoughts just accusations and criticisms of everyone else. I’m not a.gatekeeper I’m simply holding you accountable for your behavior. Sounds like an elite Mass person to want to have asymmetric upside with no downside risk.

You made the skin in the game claim this am. I’m just following your lead since you believe you are zarathustra to us all.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:09 am

Western MA not known as the Berkshires or even including the Berkshires. I’ll thro in the area around Springfield mass too who put all their economic eggs in a casino basket which is small minded stuff. (Used to do business with banks in that area including Westfield, Chicopee and Berkahire bank who thought so little of western mass that they moved HQ to Boston and are now under current attack by all their shareholders and will eventually be sold by force of board-very different than the banks I deal with in Hingham, Rockland and Lowell.
Neat.

Where do the 1.1 million 2016 Massachusettes Trump voters live?

The hard working blue collar towns of Weston & Swellsley managed to pump out 25% of the votes to Trump.

So, where is this rural divide?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:14 am

You don’t have thoughts just accusations and criticisms of everyone else. I’m not a.gatekeeper I’m simply holding you accountable for your behavior. Sounds like an elite Mass person to want to have asymmetric upside with no downside risk.

You made the skin in the game claim this am. I’m just following your lead since you believe you are zarathustra to us all.
Nah, you are attempting to do the discredit dance. Discuss topics, not people.

Think that includes, talking about ones self.

Suddenly, only certain types are to be listened too.

Glad religion teaches such real life lessons, conveyed on hear daily.

Do you not care about Peru's sterilazation of humans. hundreds of thousands of them, can't produce offspring. Unworthey.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:23 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:09 am

Neat.

Where do the 1.1 million 2016 Massachusettes Trump voters live?

The hard working blue collar towns of Weston & Swellsley managed to pump out 25% of the votes to Trump.

So, where is this rural divide?
Nothing you’ve said means there isn’t a urban rural divide. I don’t know if I subscribe to it but you’ve said nothing of value in furthering the case that such a hypothesis is wrong. Just same jerkoff stuff as always .
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:27 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:14 am

Nah, you are attempting to do the discredit dance. Discuss topics, not people.

Think that includes, talking about ones self.

Suddenly, only certain types are to be listened too.

Glad religion teaches such real life lessons, conveyed on hear daily.

Do you not care about Peru's sterilazation of humans. hundreds of thousands of them, can't produce offspring. Unworthey.
Whatever. Why don’t you call everyone here a hypocrite and liar again? How you are better and smarter and how you ran a 4.0 4 in your stupidest sneakers. Yep I recall that.

Do you not care that everyone is sick of the schtock or does it validate your anger at the world? Do you believe there’s no value to context or personal experience even if anecdotal? There’s a joke here and it’s not me.

Return to “POLITICS”