Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
RedFromMI

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by RedFromMI »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:02 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm Itsallgood said..."Florida ………where outstanding lacrosse players go to become mediocre. Can’t remember a team with the present coaching staff ( leave Reggie out of this ) that continued to improve as the season progressed."

If you want to put that on Florida, okay that's your opinion. My guess is that you can comb through the top 30 and find that regularly.
Remember, D1 is about acquiring talent. For me the best Coaching is in D2 and D3.
Larry who in your opinion are some of the best d2 coaches. I agree. I feel at d2 there’s so much talent but girls don’t want to completely drown in the commitment of all lax

Dennis(Utah) Short, Rollins College
Ginny Martino, West Chester University
Pat McCabe , Adelphi University
Kara Reber, Florida Southern
Jack Cribbin, Lindenwood
Xeni Barakos-Yoder, East Stroudsburg
What about Tucker at Limestone?
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:02 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm Itsallgood said..."Florida ………where outstanding lacrosse players go to become mediocre. Can’t remember a team with the present coaching staff ( leave Reggie out of this ) that continued to improve as the season progressed."

If you want to put that on Florida, okay that's your opinion. My guess is that you can comb through the top 30 and find that regularly.
Remember, D1 is about acquiring talent. For me the best Coaching is in D2 and D3.
Larry who in your opinion are some of the best d2 coaches. I agree. I feel at d2 there’s so much talent but girls don’t want to completely drown in the commitment of all lax

Dennis(Utah) Short, Rollins College
Ginny Martino, West Chester University
Pat McCabe , Adelphi University
Kara Reber, Florida Southern
Jack Cribbin, Lindenwood
Xeni Barakos-Yoder, East Stroudsburg
Good list. I agree. GVSU and UIndy coaches are young but they are on their way to being coaches un that same group.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

RedfromMI wrote "What about Tucker at Limestone?"

Absolutely! Forgot about him.
hofstrapride1

Re: Drexel HC

Post by hofstrapride1 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:41 pm
glaxer24 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:51 am Kim Hillier (formerly associate hc at Stony Brook) is the new Drexel women’s lacrosse coach

Terrific Hire! An experienced College Coach with a track record. Good person as well as a terrific coach, from a wonderful family. :)
I'm happy for Kim, who was an amazing player at Hofstra and was big part of leading us to NCAAs in 2007. This will certainly add some spice to the Hofstra-Drexel rivalry,
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:51 pm Asa goldstock asst coach at usc 👍🏼
An average goalie being hired to coach. One could say the championship game was lost by bad goalie play…seems like they should’ve have gone with someone with actual success to their name as a coach. Especially with this being SC…
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

howdyyall wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:57 pm
An average goalie being hired to coach. One could say the championship game was lost by bad goalie play…seems like they should’ve have gone with someone with actual success to their name as a coach. Especially with this being SC…
"Especially with this being SC…"

How do you mean?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Asa may have had a bad game, but I wouldn't call her average.
Bart

Post by Bart »

A player that gets to the national championship on a team that was 17-4 beating several top 10 teams was not successful? You statement seems to indicate that the only ones who have actual success are those that win national championships. that is the only conclusion one can make reading the above post. If that is the case then that is absolute rubbish.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Bart wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:42 am
A player that gets to the national championship on a team that was 17-4 beating several top 10 teams was not successful? You statement seems to indicate that the only ones who have actual success are those that win national championships. that is the only conclusion one can make reading the above post. If that is the case then that is absolute rubbish.
Agreed! What a ludicrous statement. Cuse overcame ridiculous odds and Asa had a stellar career. Only two teams make it to the dance. And one has to lose. To put a loss in one player shows ignorance. TEAMS win and/or lose a game. You get in net. Let’s see how you fare 😂
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:48 am
Agreed! What a ludicrous statement. Cuse overcame ridiculous odds and Asa had a stellar career. Only two teams make it to the dance. And one has to lose. To put a loss in one player shows ignorance. TEAMS win and/or lose a game. You get in net. Let’s see how you fare 😂
And the greatest players don't necessarily always make the best coaches. Some do, but it's not a guarantee.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:20 am
And the greatest players don't necessarily always make the best coaches. Some do, but it's not a guarantee.
Also very true!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cagekeeper wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:18 pm
Also very true!
Conversely, some non-great players do make great coaches. In fact, in some sports, you don't even have to be a player to be a great coach.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:38 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:18 pm
Also very true!
Conversely, some non-great players do make great coaches. In fact, in some sports, you don't even have to be a player to be a great coach.
Precisely. Geno Auriemma's playing career peaked at Montgomery County Community College.
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

Do we wanna look at the stats? Especially against top 10-20 competition? I have a feeling the stats are worse then the general ‘eye test’
OuttaNowhereWregget

howdyyall wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:31 pm
Do we wanna look at the stats? Especially against top 10-20 competition? I have a feeling the stats are worse then the general ‘eye test’
I’ll bite—what are the stats? Give us the breakdown.
Bart

Post by Bart »

howdyyall wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:31 pm
OK for the teams that were ranked in the top 10 at the time they played. Ms Goldstock had a goals against of 148 vs saves of 118 for a percentage of .443. Her opponents had a goals against of 212 with 109 saves. That is a save percentage of.340. In the w losses Ms Goldstocks percentage was .26 (UNC #1), .18 (BC #1)(should be noted that in this game it was 14-13 with both goalies making 4 saves), .55 (UNC #2) and .47 (BC #4). Clearly she had poor days in the losses in the first games to both BC and UNC. Her second losses to the two are very respectable being over 55% vs UNC in the ACC final and just under 50% for the BC final. Not great but not horrific.

If you compare Ms. Goldstocks stat line with the 3 other IWLCA AA's it is comparable but as you would expect not quite as good as the other three.
Ms Moreno had a 123 GA with a save percentage of .546. Ms Deehan had a 202 GA with a save percentage of .453. Ms. Reznick had a 117 GA with a save percentage of .567. Ms. Goldstock had 194 GA with a save percentage of .438. So her stat line seems awfully similar to the first team AA Deehan. (you can argue who should be what with AA, I am just using the list as is.)

Interesting in that Goldstock saw 13 more FPS than any of the other AA goalies and a whopping 57 more than Ms Marino. All three AA goalies had similar FPS save percentages ranging from 55%-58%...except Marino's 67%

Note: stats are just a back of the envelope calculations......not checked and rechecked so there may be some errors.

I think her stats are in line with other top goalies. The stat line also says little about her leadership and her abilities out of the cage passing.

Again, all this is a completely moot point since I do not think a great coach has to be a great player.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, 67% save rate on FPSs is incredible, and with no intent to diminish that excellence I have to at least partially attribute that to poor shooting. No way, in my book, should FPS shooters be shooting at a 33% success rate. My girls are spending a whole lot of time on the eight meter line learning how to put the ball by the GK on a 1v1 situation if that's the case. Gotta have those. These numbers should be reversed, 67% success rate, 33% save rate.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:45 am Wow, 67% save rate on FPSs is incredible, and with no intent to diminish that excellence I have to at least partially attribute that to poor shooting. No way, in my book, should FPS shooters be shooting at a 33% success rate. My girls are spending a whole lot of time on the eight meter line learning how to put the ball by the GK on a 1v1 situation if that's the case. Gotta have those. These numbers should be reversed, 67% success rate, 33% save rate.
Agreed. NU’s Lauren Gilbert is a stellar example. Check out her FPS/G % from ‘21
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:53 am
DMac wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:45 am Wow, 67% save rate on FPSs is incredible, and with no intent to diminish that excellence I have to at least partially attribute that to poor shooting. No way, in my book, should FPS shooters be shooting at a 33% success rate. My girls are spending a whole lot of time on the eight meter line learning how to put the ball by the GK on a 1v1 situation if that's the case. Gotta have those. These numbers should be reversed, 67% success rate, 33% save rate.
Agreed. NU’s Lauren Gilbert is a stellar example. Check out her FPS/G % from ‘21
She has something that nearly all women's lacrosse players don't quite have: Division 1 track and field type speed. Her top end is very fast. I always thought she'd make a very good college midfielder. But at the FPS line, she gets off the hash unbelievably fast and gets under the defenders and their sticks.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Obviously you liked Asa as a Goalie, but you really need to check the career stats and then decide if you want to use the word 'Stellar'.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”