Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RedIvy

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by RedIvy »

At this point I’m more amused by QK’s bias against Cornell (which I’m sure of at this point). As mentioned I think he points out real short comings but seems to take it to a different level....

Interesting, two of the other sports QK does commentary on, Wrestling and Hockey he frequently runs into Cornell, he was on the broadcast team on Sunday for the Cornell Providence quarter final game. We torture the poor guy... lol
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

My feeling is that QK simply likes to be provocative...and at the same time humorous.
IMO, if anything, he's been pro-Cornell the last few years. If I'm not mistaken, at the beginning of the season he had Cornell at #4. At this point, however, I think he's concluded that Cornell's defensive and face-off issues are fatal flaws.
I spoke with him prior to the Yale game while waiting to get in to Reese; he had clearly done his homework on Cornell and if anything, seemed pro-Cornell.
As to why he ranked Cornell behind Lehigh and Towson --- teams' (performance) does not remain static during a season. Cornell was lucky to get Lehigh early on - they have a terrific defense and an outstanding FOGO. They were adjusting to the loss of their top scorer for the season and I believe the next high scorer due to injury (note - 9 goals scored). They have gotten better and better since. I think Towson a) came up flat against Cornell and b) were overrated coming off of their Loyola win. The Towson thread also articulated the thought that they had hit a wall going into the Cornell game. Also, I think Coach Milliman would be the first to admit that he's not at all satisfied with the team's progression since the Towson game. Factor out St. Bony and Dartmouth...and...there's nothing to write home about.

As for Quint's sideline reporting for NCAA wrestling, he's definitely been (VERY) pro-Cornell - going back to Dake's freshman year and through Simaz, Garrett, Dean, and Yanni D.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:24 amMy feeling is that QK simply likes to be provocative...and at the same time humorous. IMO, if anything, he's been pro-Cornell the last few years.
Agreed. But I'm also happy to have Quint dissing Cornell. I have an all-too-vivid memory of him saying, on air, "I'm done doubting this year's edition of the Big Red" very late in a certain game, ten years ago ...
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

QK's best one liner was during the 2007 semis vs. Duke @ M & T. Hopkins had just beaten Delaware (Alex Smith) in about 90+ heat and 90+ humidity. It was like being baked alive. The game was a real snoozer.
Soon after the opening face-off (about 40 seconds in, if I remember correctly) of the Cornell - Duke game, "Max" is trying to clear down the far sideline and collides with two Duke players. Viscious collision (there was speculation that he may have suffered a concussion). I was at the game but watched it on tape at some point. QK is doing the analysis and his great real-time one liner was words to the effect "there's already been more action in this game than in the entire Hopkins-Delaware game."
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

I remember that hit. Was that REALLY 2007???? Where did the time go?
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Even though we lost that game I think that was one of the greatest efforts and come backs ever, Tambroni came out in the second half down by 6 or 7 leveraging his bench for fresh legs to pull even with about 20 seconds left. The 2007 team was a special team (I think 4 academic all Americans). That game was their only loss all season and they got robbed getting a 4 seed while finishing the regular season undefeated and beating the number 1 seed, Duke In N.C. I think I lost 10 pounds sitting in the stands during that game. The seniors put a special tribute video together for GB21 as they were the last class to have played with him, I think the tragic game may have been their first in a Cornell Uniform (but not sure).

I can’t help but believe QK has a dislike for Cornell. I may be sensitive but just to many examples over time and I think his competitive nature against Paul Schimoler (RIP) during their playing days.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Red Ivy - that was indeed a great team.
I always think of the 2nd line mids - Casey Lewis, Rocco Romero, and John Espey. Quite a second line.
You are right about going deep into the bench. Because of the heat and humidity, both teams did. I remember that one of the Carbolotti brothers got some PT and scored (Mike-?) as did Christian Pastirik (who went on to have a great career at Towson or UMBC after transferring) - both were big goals in the comeback.
As did the great David (Moose) Mitchell...who I always thought was as good as Zach Greer.
Duke was reeling in the last several minutes of the game - I remember their defenders were yelling at one another and their goalie was cramping. Complete disarray. When Brian Clayton scored in transition to tie the game with 19 seconds left, I remember telling my son "we're going to steal this one!"
Then a strange unsettled play followed a face-off and Peter Lamade throws a laser pass right into Zach Greer's stick head. Danny Nathan is draped all over him, but Greer, a great lefty finisher, wheels and shoots in one motion.
I found this loss equally difficult to swallow as 2009, probably because of the great comeback. The drive back to CT from Baltimore was like returning from a funeral.

As for QK, I honestly think he's modified his feelings about Cornell over the years. You are right though - in '07, the media including QK were awfully biased against Cornell.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I think that game set up Hopkins for the championship, both Duke and Cornell or anyone would have had a tough time recovering from that game for Memorial Day.

I think Cornell was a unanimous number one in the coaches poll when they were given the 4 seed in 07. I’ve heard this caused a shake up of the seeding process.

I think QK has had more control but let’s not fool ourselves, he has no love for Cornell dating back to his playing days and likely his competition with Paul.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The official NCAA selection criteria were indeed revised in 2009, based on the 2007 seedings being so out-of-line with conventional wisdom. (Dave Cottle was the selection committee chair in 2007.)

Prior to 2009, the criteria were listed in order of importance, and strength of schedule was number one. After 2009, the criteria were the same, but not ordered. Equally important, since 2009 the selection committee (judging by the results) has significantly de-emphasized strength of schedule in ranking teams. Many quality wins and few bad losses now seems most important.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Not much discussion about Saturday's game at noon in Cambridge. Harvard has won 5 of last 6 and are likely confident. Massey has Big Red with 76% winning percentage, by 3 goals (14-11). I'm thinking we may score more than 14 and hopeful we can hold them below 11. Faceoffs should be competitive. We've gone against 4 of top 5 faceoff teams in NCAA and have beaten 3 of them. Hoping we can continue to work out some kinks prior to next Tuesday's game against SU.

Go Big Red!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Harvard has a good offense. Cornell will need to put up some numbers on the scoreboard to win with comfort.
OldRedLax

Post by OldRedLax »

Yes let's get some discussion going for the game on Saturday. I think the Big Red are tired of the doubters and will come out firing for a decisive win.

The pieces are all there for a great second half run at this season. I'm excited to watch!
Last edited by OldRedLax on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

IL notes that Kyle Mullin has a 58.6% save average. Also, Harvard has had some fourth quarter lapses that could be an advantage to Cornell's fourth quarter conditioning advantage that they have shown in their best outings.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Red 19, Crimson 18 4OT.
Exhausting game.
Back at it Tue eve.
;)
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Meanwhile, your boyz gonna take the weekend off to prep.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 pm Red 19, Crimson 18 4OT.
Exhausting game.
Back at it Tue eve.
;)
LOL! Too funny!
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 pm Red 19, Crimson 18 4OT.
Exhausting game.
Back at it Tue eve.
;)
Ha ha, I wonder what the longest the Big Red has gone this season without scoring OR giving up a goal

Go Big Red!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

IL has their Mid-Season All American selections out.

First Team: Jeff Teat

Second Team: Brandon Salvatore

The first team attack also includes Pat Spencer of Loyola and Grant Ament of PSU. IL produced an accompanying Player of the Year "watch" video of coaches that was extremely focused on Michael Sowers of Princeton. I was surprised that Clarke Petterson wasn't included on the AA teams.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

4-3 Cornell after 1Q. Cornell has lost all 8 faceoffs. Harvard FOGO is the younger brother of former Cornell superstar FOGO Dom Massimillian. Caused turnovers by Cornell keeping them in the game. Offense is stretching out possession time to keep the defense rested.

7-3 Cornell midway through Q2. 0 of 12 on FOs.

8-4 Cornell at the half. 2 FO wins on procedures against HU.

Laxrefence's real-time win probabilty: https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... _20190406/
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not at all surprised by this one, Big Red just too much for Harard to handle. Looking good all over the field and that's one mighty pretty O to watch, gorgeous ball movement.
CU77 wrote
7-3 Cornell midway through Q2. 0 of 12 on FOs.
Yup, but face offs wins games!!!!!! Well, maybe not so much.

One of the commentators says he likes the dive but doesn't like the shot clock.
What's to not like about the shot clock? Didn't explain what it is he doesn't like.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”