Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e48eIXbaMDo
highlights of harrisons last game which was well done. Looks like at the end of the video school did a nice job getting his family whatever the cordish upper deck viewing area is.

anyone know what $ the school gets and why if the game was at homewood, gary gait not Milliman was interviewed on tv?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:27 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e48eIXbaMDo
highlights of harrisons last game which was well done. Looks like at the end of the video school did a nice job getting his family whatever the cordish upper deck viewing area is.

anyone know what $ the school gets and why if the game was at homewood, gary gait not Milliman was interviewed on tv?
gary gait was interviewed on tv because he's a bigger name than milliman.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Needless to mention that he is this year's hot coaching news, as opposed to last year's hot coaching news.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

PM is coaching the Iroquois Nationals team at the World Games next year: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ames/58137

The PLL games at Homewood this weekend were a great showcase for Hopkins/Homewood. Lot of love for the venue/campus/city. Even at 50% capacity the stands looked pretty full all three days.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:00 am PM is coaching the Iroquois Nationals team at the World Games next year: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ames/58137

The PLL games at Homewood this weekend were a great showcase for Hopkins/Homewood. Lot of love for the venue/campus/city. Even at 50% capacity the stands looked pretty full all three days.
Does this mean the staff is going to start recruiting these kids? I thought they all went to cuse or albany.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:00 am PM is coaching the Iroquois Nationals team at the World Games next year: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ames/58137

Does this mean the staff is going to start recruiting these kids? I thought they all went to cuse or albany.
Nice generalization. Hopkins Alumni Jake Fox played for Iroquois at the worlds. Hayden Fox is on the current roster. Koleton Marquis is a highly touted recruit.

Beyond the Hopkins family. Larson Sundown is an amazing player who just helped RIT to the title. I don’t think all native kids go to Cuse and Albany.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Maybe? PM has clearly forged some connections in those communities, and having a box legend in Junior on staff can't hurt. They've already recruited one in '22 Koleton Marquis. It'd make sense for there to be more in the future given the staff wants to integrate more box concepts and a creative play style, and these kids grow up playing box indoors before they ever step foot on a field.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

This ties into what I’ve always said about Petro being shown the door. Less to do with wins and losses and more to do with diversity and inclusion and the men’s HC outlook aligning with the administration.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Maybe? PM has clearly forged some connections in those communities, and having a box legend in Junior on staff can't hurt. They've already recruited one in '22 Koleton Marquis. It'd make sense for there to be more in the future given the staff wants to integrate more box concepts and a creative play style, and these kids grow up playing box indoors before they ever step foot on a field.
I believe the biggest issue with many of these kids is that they are coming out of some schools that are considered rather poor on the academic side. At least that has been an issue in the past and they couldn't get through admissions. Now, that is a huge generalization because individual cases, as you noted, have demonstrated the ability to get into Hopkins. Also, those upstate NY schools had really raised the fence on them.

Also, just a note Rabil was on Seth Meyers a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXhgOLaEXU

The thing I take away was that he didn't pick up a stick until he was 12. Goes to show you all those parents wanting to focus their kids in one sport early on might not be a great. Because, and I am a supporter of this view, the true greats, in any sport, generally can come from anywhere at anytime and just "get" the game without years of club and travel. That stuff does help but it isn't the end all be all.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Recruiting Indians has historically been problematic on both sides.

There are quite a few players off the Rez that want Indians to diversify their destination selections. There has been some success in that area. The other side is most are not going to gain admission at some schools because of academics or past behavioral problems or both.

It is difficult for me to find a windfall of players out of this development.
Last edited by OCanada on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:51 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:28 pm

I believe the biggest issue with many of these kids is that they are coming out of some schools that are considered rather poor on the academic side. At least that has been an issue in the past and they couldn't get through admissions. Now, that is a huge generalization because individual cases, as you noted, have demonstrated the ability to get into Hopkins. Also, those upstate NY schools had really raised the fence on them.
I’ve done quite a bit of college counseling with Seminole and Miccosukke native students and honestly unless the transcript is a burning dumpster fire, most schools are a possibility for native kids (including Hopkins) due to the push to diversify the student body.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:47 pm
This ties into what I’ve always said about Petro being shown the door. Less to do with wins and losses and more to do with diversity and inclusion and the men’s HC outlook aligning with the administration.
-I don't think that had anything to do with it.
-Very few athletes from non revenue sports that don't have an olympic tie have been able to break into the national media spotlight the way Rabil has. The only bowlers I can think of are from the movie kingpin. I haven't followed the sport as long as many of you so it's hard to know if he's really taking the sports profile to another level.
-Maybe HF16 or 51 has a list of which recruits we currently have are still petro guys and which are PM guys and what the differences are in the profiles of the kids.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Don’t see diversity issue as being pertinent.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:57 pm -Maybe HF16 or 51 has a list of which recruits we currently have are still petro guys and which are PM guys and what the differences are in the profiles of the kids.
Every '21 and '22 recruit are Milliman's with the exception of Todaro, a 5-star defenseman from Long Island who could have played anywhere he wanted, Teachout, an athletic downhill middie from Texas, and Kaufman, a towering rangy LSM from St. Mary's. The rest are Milliman's. Offensively, the obvious difference is that a majority of recruits either have a box background or a more creative/non-traditional style of play (like Iler, a middie from California). Defensively, I haven't noticed a huge difference of the type of kid vs. before. Big and athletic. Not really rocket science. Remember PM only had one full class so far and it was compiled in the middle of a pandemic.. The '23s may tell us a bit more.
78Jay

Post by 78Jay »

Daniels extended to 2029
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:57 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:47 pm
-I don't think that had anything to do with it.
-Very few athletes from non revenue sports that don't have an olympic tie have been able to break into the national media spotlight the way Rabil has. The only bowlers I can think of are from the movie kingpin. I haven't followed the sport as long as many of you so it's hard to know if he's really taking the sports profile to another level.
-Maybe HF16 or 51 has a list of which recruits we currently have are still petro guys and which are PM guys and what the differences are in the profiles of the kids.
My comment was never about the profile of recruits. It was about the outlook and worldview of the Head Coach.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I am not stepping in here to claim any expertise but a couple of hopefully rational onservations:
- It would seem to me that assuming the head coaching role at Johns Hopkins in the middle of a pandemic that shut virtually everything down for that summer and fall posed a very significant challenge in terms of recruiting - not only did you have the players that left the 2021 class either due to uncertainty or love of Petro or taking the obvious opportunity to re-evaluate school choice beyond lacrosse - but you had basically 4 months to start assembling the 2022 class with no 2020 high school season and no summer circuit and likely a recruiting base different from what you have used in the past all the while trying to assimilate yourself with close to 60 young men - many of which you have probably never met in person. Thanks for the gumball Popeye.
- Obviusly, the classes are smaller - a class of 12 is of course a third smaller than Petro's last two - still need to get to 9 or 10 - but it's a start
- The classes so far seem to have construct as a thought rather than gathering as many eggs in your Easter basket as you can - 4 D/2 A/1 FO/1 G/5 M in one class - 1 G/1FO/3 D/6 M in another (as listed) but obviously someone like Marquis can play attack
- I'm not going to go Ken Beatrice on everyone (slightly obscure reference outside the DC area but not really a stretch to say he was one of the fathers of sports talk radio - he was famous for quoting heights and weights to the half inch and pound) but it does seem that with players like Teachout/Hicks/Collison etc the middies are not smaller converted attackmen
- The 2023 class will be PM's first with some level of normalcy - it will be very interesting to see how this class shapes up

OC - good natured ribbing but I think we need to send you to the Dan Snyder school of sensitivity - Indians?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I have not personally interacted with lacrosse-playing Iroquois, but of the American Indians I have known, their first preference was their tribe (in the case of those whom I have known: Cherokee or Seminole), but their second choice was simply Indian.

That said, Native American is nowhere as egregiously bilingually illiterate as Latinx.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:51 am I have not personally interacted with lacrosse-playing Iroquois, but of the American Indians I have known, their first preference was their tribe (in the case of those whom I have known: Cherokee or Seminole), but their second choice was simply Indian.

That said, Native American is nowhere as egregiously bilingually illiterate as Latinx.
Tribe first...First Nations, Native Americans...

"American Indians" has a quite mixed reception, some prefer, some do not..."Indians" pretty universally frowned upon, though not by 100%.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:23 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:51 am I have not personally interacted with lacrosse-playing Iroquois, but of the American Indians I have known, their first preference was their tribe (in the case of those whom I have known: Cherokee or Seminole), but their second choice was simply Indian.

Tribe first...First Nations, Native Americans...

"American Indians" has a quite mixed reception, some prefer, some do not..."Indians" pretty universally frowned upon, though not by 100%.
Frowned on by whom? Enlightened academics?

My experience, abeit limited, is that 44 is right. The term "indian" is used regularly, and not in derogatorily, by group members themselves. Then again, they have real issues to deal with. Especially the ones back on the rez.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”