2021 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
InsiderRoll

Re: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Post by InsiderRoll »

Switzerland wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:47 pm
Don't believe everything you hear. I have never heard of a D3 doing multi year contracts. And if so, do you honestly believe he asked for a ten year deal? Really?
[/quote]

10 years seems extreme and unlikely, but yes. I have heard of D3s making multi-year contacts.
[/quote]

There are D3 coaches on various scenarios. Most start on 12month contracts. High profile ones have multi-year. Usually somewhere in the 3 year range. Some that are faculty have multi year from the get go because of the way all new faculty hires are handled. Some have no contract and are just yearly appointments, some aren’t even “full-time”. I have never heard of anyone getting a 10year deal, even the Tierneys and Dinos of the world.
MidwestLaxer13

Post by MidwestLaxer13 »

Trine is done. New coach is already on campus. Team found out this week. Announcement should be this week.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

McDaniel????
As Yogi Berra said “it’s getting late early”.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am Add Warren Wilson College to the list:

https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/152158 ... rce=indeed
The school appears to be more of a cult then a traditional college. Lol!
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

River Donkey wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:06 pm
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am Add Warren Wilson College to the list:

https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/152158 ... rce=indeed
The school appears to be more of a cult then a traditional college. Lol!

That sounds like an interesting place, but at least it’s not a Bob Jones-type school that teaches creationism as a part of the science curriculum…
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Agree, looks interesting. Like the study/work part of the curriculum. Bet most of the grads go on to live happy, productive lives.

D 3 lacrosse is a game to enjoy, build relationships and savoir the memories for a lifetime.

Good luck with your program, Warren Wilson College.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

KingPrat wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:51 am
River Donkey wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:26 am No such thing as over recruiting in D3, the more on the roster the better. If they “ghosted” your son it must have been for another reason.
This is just incorrect.

I interviewed at a couple schools that put a roster limit on their program for budgetary reasons, and they were adamant that recruiting classes were capped at a certain number. It does exist at the D3 level.

The reality of the situation is that the coach should've followed up and explained the situation. It's a VERY difficult conversation sometimes, and some people just don't know how to handle it.
Roster limits either have to be schools that are on life support or NESCAC and a handful of very close (possibly a couple of LL/CC/UAA and one or two others at most) as it is a admissions tool at the D3 level to provide sports opportunities. Know this well from my involvement with Hobart football over the last 20yrs or so.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Switzerland wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 am
River Donkey wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:26 am
laxdad30 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:25 pm Good for him I guess. My son was recruited by Tatro to play there, but after a year of contact and promises the last minute he ghosted us. Apparently Keeley over recruited and didn't need another D-pole. Not a great experience. He found a better suited program anyways. Loved the school, but ghosting us was pretty crappy.
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:27 pm
laxdad30 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:17 pm What happened a Baldwin Wallace?

Baldwin Wallace University - (Vacated by Trey Keeley)

any more info on this?
He took the assistant coach position at Cleveland state.
No such thing as over recruiting in D3, the more on the roster the better. If they “ghosted” your son it must have been for another reason.
I think there is such a thing as "over-recruiting," but whether it is a good thing or a bad thing is subjective, depending on the process, your position, and your attitude. Since many schools are "enrollment driven," BW is no exception, that shouldn't be a surprise. Keeley also has experience at OWU and Roanoke, and I don't think that is uncommon there either. That said, his rosters seemed to hover in the mid to upper 40s. I don't think that is over recruiting unless 20-30+ former lacrosse players are walking around campus (or left campus) because they got cut.

Should the coaches have responded and said, "sorry, we have been talking with you for the last year, and now the class is filled?" Yes. They probably could/should have, but maybe they didn't have time since coaches are throwing out so many "offers" nowadays... It sounds like it all worked out for the best, but the recruiting conversations went on for about a year. If I courted a lady-friend for a year and she hasn't pulled the trigger, I might have moved on too.
If you waited a year for a lady friend to pull the trigger you just be a bhuddist in Switzerland.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:38 pm
Switzerland wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:47 pm
Don't believe everything you hear. I have never heard of a D3 doing multi year contracts. And if so, do you honestly believe he asked for a ten year deal? Really?
10 years seems extreme and unlikely, but yes. I have heard of D3s making multi-year contacts.
[/quote]

There are D3 coaches on various scenarios. Most start on 12month contracts. High profile ones have multi-year. Usually somewhere in the 3 year range. Some that are faculty have multi year from the get go because of the way all new faculty hires are handled. Some have no contract and are just yearly appointments, some aren’t even “full-time”. I have never heard of anyone getting a 10year deal, even the Tierneys and Dinos of the world.
[/quote]

People make “f off” offers to “sell” all the time, particularly when one comes with a reverse inquiry. Problem is if the buyer hits the ask then you have to have some sellers remorse (ie if Amherst did give a 10yr contract you’d have to question why they accepted that). Doesn’t hurt to throw something out there if asked and see but that sounds like a “thanks but no thanks” counter to an inquiry.
Laxguru333

Post by Laxguru333 »

BW posted the job today, maybe they won’t be going from within… New AD may want to put his own stamp on the athletic department.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Interesting mix for Amherst if those are indeed the final candidates. At this point I can imagine NSL gettting the job based off how alot of the other big openings played out for him. He seems content at ONU.

I think Holm might be the front runner. Great resume and has really earned his stripes. He would be a great hire.
Midwestfan2018

Post by Midwestfan2018 »

Laxguru333 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:34 pm BW posted the job today, maybe they won’t be going from within… New AD may want to put his own stamp on the athletic department.

Hear that the AD said he had to post, but wants current coach to apply. Makes sense, he’s been there less than 2 months, needs to see where things are. But a good staff there.
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Brickman25

Post by Brickman25 »

BW should hire Tony Tatro. He deserves it and can fit within their budget. Great guy who deserves a shot.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

If true, Amherst hit a home run. Woody is an awesome guy. And a hell of a coach. Good for them!
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

He’d be a VERY good hire for Amherst. In the world of irony, Woods was a coach at Brown during JT’s junior and senior seasons. Presume Sean knows exactly what he’s getting into, should this happen.
I also think he’s very solid, and can get things back on their feet…soon.
Fingers crossed.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Can you give some details, you can’t read the article without subscribing.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

River Donkey wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 am [quote=DeepPocket post_id=284854 time=<a href="tel:1628689506">1628689506</a> user_id=609]
https://www.laxjournal.com/eyes-on-amhe ... andidates/
Can you give some details, you can’t read the article without subscribing.
[/quote]

By looking at the tags at the bottom of the article and what has already come out I assume this means:

-Sean woods (Colorado college)
-Brett Holm (brown) or possibly michael Higgins
-Mike Plantholt (Ohio wesleyan)

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”