Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

Off-topic but... Stevan Levy, a defenseman at JHU from '64-'66, passed away recently. Father of UNC's Dan Levy, Father-in-law of UNC's Jen Levy. May he rest in Peace.
Last edited by Matnum PI on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

From Ty Xanders Twitter

@JHUmenslacrosse sophomore goalie Alex Gainey has entered the NCAA's transfer portal, according to multiple sources. The @StSebsLax (Mass.) graduate was IL's No. 65 recruit and 8th incoming goalie in the Class of 2018.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Here we go kids!

Uncle Jimmy the Greek is here to handicap the race (without the racism)

The next Head Coach of the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays Men’s Lacrosse Program will be -

Scott Marr 6/1
Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1

I’m putting my money on Marr. Don’t believe what you read he wants this job. A better payday and a chance to land top recruits would be refreshing. Do the lacrosse alumni donors want him that remains to be seen. I suspect they will rally around a Seth Tierney type. I believe the admin will want a much more perceived player friendly coach. Who wins the tug of war?

Or they may hire Jim Berkman. Who the hell knows
Last edited by flalax22 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pm Here we go kids!

The next Head Coach of the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays Men’s Lacrosse Program will be -

Scott Marr 6/1
Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Greg Raymond 10/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1

I’m putting my money on Marr. Don’t believe what you read he wants this job. A better payday and a chance to land top recruits would be refreshing. Do the lacrosse alumni donors want him that remains to be seen. I suspect they will rally around a Seth Tierney type. I believe the admin will want a much more perceived player friendly coach. Who wins the tug of war?

I like Greg Raymond at 16/1 better than I like Greg Raymond at 10/1...better return on that bet!
harflax

Post by harflax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:37 am
If you don't think they dramatically relax admissions criteria for the lacrosse team, you're insane. You know as well as I do a lot of those kids wouldn't get into the school in a million years as normal applicants. The requirements are undoubtedly more stringent today than they were 15 years ago but that doesn't mean there are no allowances.
I'm positive Hopkins relaxed admissions requirements for lacrosse players. I can confirm for up until 3 years ago. Can't speak for more recent than that.

Most D3 schools, (including Hopkins and the other Centennial schools) have admission allowances for athletes. "slots" have mostly gone away, but lessened requirements are still a thing. Additionally, D3 doesn't give "athletic" scholarships, but often significantly "reward" kids who are- well-rounded, good students, looking at lesser-enrolled majors, AND just happen to be good athletes too...with "grants."
I can tell you per fact as a club and high school coach that currently has players on Hopkins roster that the standards are significantly lower for lacrosse players. It is not only that way at Hopkins but at other institutions as well. At Hopkins you are talking a combined SAT score of 400-500 points lower than the general population.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:42 am -Quint broke open what ocanada and a few of you have said for awhile which is that the admin support isn't there anymore which is terrible. I'm not on the lacrosse advisory board (duh), but would be interesting to see what their thoughts/email chains look like right now.

questions I'd ask in the news conference
-For each of the President/Ad/coach in 2 words what is your goal every year? correct answer national championship and how should the new coach be judged after 4 years? How many championships
-to the coach, can HOB film again
-to the President/ad what does the program mean to you and the university define "mean"

-to the coach, the program has lost in the ncaa tournament by an average of 5+goals over the last decade, how do you intend to reverse that Simple. not go. like we shouldn't have in 3, of the last 5 invites. like the virus, if you don't go, you can't lose by 5+ goals.
-to the coach, the current players were recruited for a different style of play what do you intend to do w/the kids that do not fit in your future plans. huh? no coach does this.
-to the ad, what specifically caused you to want a change Bill Bellicheck.
-the president/ad Petro was the all time winningest coach in program history, had deep ties hof player, was an icon in the game, brought deep playing/coaching/recruiting credentials, what makes you think that a coach w/out those credentials is a better fit to lead the program next.
-to the new coach, Petro was a hof player, won 2 titles as a coach, regularly had top 3/5 classes, why are you a better man for the job.
-to the ad, attendance is down precipitously and the student sections often are empty, what will you do to reenage a student body that is apathetic about the program and increasingly foreign. encourage the coach to recruit some foreign players. Does China have lacrosse? Dave's already been there, hasn't he?
-to the President/coach/ad has the relationship w/b1g been a negative or positive for the program+university it's brought in 5 times more revenue than we expected. What do you think?
-to the new coach, were you asked in writing to commit to the universitys new policy of using personal pronouns in all communications. , sure, as long as I get to make them up.
-to the new coach, how do you sell hopkins to recruits when ivies have academics, b1g/acc/in state rivals have easier admissions-academics/d1 revenue sport name id lower costs. see my earlier post. You see lots of fans in the bleachers in Brighton, MA? It's HOPKINS....nuff said. Sells itself
-to the new coach, can the team have only one twitter handle, yes. As long as they spell everyone's name wrong.....I mean, correctly. BoB Dylan didn't write the "mighty quin.....it was QUINN "
-to the president/ad, petros credentials were superior to the womens coach, why is she still employed. does she get paid the same?
-To the President/ad how has the level of institutional+administrative support changed for the program over your careers at hopkins? and what measures are you taking to make sure that the new coach has the best in d1 lacrosse? We will provide armed guards for you, and your family, as recommended by our biggest benefactor, Bloomie.
-to the President/ad, Duke and Stanford have been publicly documented as making significant admissions exemptions for recruits in key sports, why isn't Hopkins one d1 sport allowed that and can you guarantee that no exemptions are made in any admissions decisions for other reasons such as inclusion and major donors You look to the women's coach, I look to someone named Reed. (Yale ) They are out there, it's just your old coach and alums know it all.
-to the President/ad/coach ivies have the academic catchet, acc/b1g schools have revenue sport resources, women, and name id, in state rivals have easier admissions standards, what are you doing to make Hopkins competitive for recruits with that? Recruit better student athletes
-the coach, what assurances did you get about administrative support with recruiting and finances Define "support" ? Beer & pizza, or just some emails?
-to the coach/ad what areas of the program are most in need of improvement to win a title in 2021? spending more time actually playing, instead of :"teaching." The Creator didn't create lacrosse to stand around, listening , on and drone on, about the weak side,double crease rotate slide packages.
-to the coach, what changes to the schedule do you intend to make More February games. In Burlington, Hanover, Amherst & Providence, preferably.
-to the coach, what are your first changes to the program and how will we see the differences on the field and off the field that you've brought. For one, I'll be happy to be here. "dude, I just won a national championship "....giddy as a kid, than apologizing to Carc. I want THAT guy.
-to Daniels/ad/coach, what is the longterm status of the program as d1/b1g and espn contract? see the 5 times more revenue than expected: comment
-to president/ad, why was petro let go in mid april when the season was canceled weeks ago and how does it serve the interests of the current players/future recruits/future coaching staff/school to wait this long. why did the sun set yesterday. unimportant. all around
-the coach do you plan to honor the nlis of the current recruits for the fall ummm......do some research, question asker. The school, not the coach.
-to the coach what is the status of o branski/dyer Is that a new law firm?
-to the President, ad, do you feel the rising cost of Hopkins puts the school at a competitive disadvantage especially against maryland and what are you doing to attack the rising costs of a Hopkins education Hopkins.....enuff said. ,mic drop. If Hopkins is losing players to Maryland.....well. What's Maryland's endowment? exactly. Bloomie can make tuition, FREE, forever, with his gift. but........this aint' about politics/money. Right?

I'm sure I missed a few.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Laxsmitty wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pm From Ty Xanders Twitter

@JHUmenslacrosse sophomore goalie Alex Gainey has entered the NCAA's transfer portal, according to multiple sources. The @StSebsLax (Mass.) graduate was IL's No. 65 recruit and 8th incoming goalie in the Class of 2018.
Mildly interesting, IMO—you'd think he'd be the type of player who would stay to see if the new coach gives him a real chance to start, given that the last guy didn't. New coach won't be beholden to any current players. But I guess not?

If he does leave (reminder that being in the portal doesn't guarantee a transfer), then barring a transfer of our own, we're back down to three goalies: Darby, Marcille, and incoming freshman Michael DiMarsico, who I believe intends to major in biomedical engineering. Someone that smart can prob figure out where guys are going to shoot the ball at least 50% of the time.
flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pm Scott Marr 6/1
Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Greg Raymond 10/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1
In a vacuum I might give Marr and Nadelen the same odds but given the current pandemic my money is easily on the guy who already lives in Baltimore and wouldn't have to uproot his family. His wife gets to keep her job, his kids don't have to change schools, they don't even have to move. If I live in upstate New York or anywhere else that'd require a drastic change in life situation/living arrangements, I'd seriously think twice about having to figure all that out in the middle of this global crisis. It's not very prudent to attempt a cross-country move right now.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

ooohhhh Durkin! i'm putting my money on him. he's bounced around a couple D3 schools i believe - hes got some experience.
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:30 pm

Mildly interesting, IMO—you'd think he'd be the type of player who would stay to see if the new coach gives him a real chance to start, given that the last guy didn't. New coach won't be beholden to any current players. But I guess not?

If he does leave (reminder that being in the portal doesn't guarantee a transfer), then barring a transfer of our own, we're back down to three goalies: Darby, Marcille, and incoming freshman Michael DiMarsico, who I believe intends to major in biomedical engineering. Someone that smart can prob figure out where guys are going to shoot the ball at least 50% of the time.
Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Greg Raymond 10/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1
In a vacuum I might give Marr and Nadelen the same odds but given the current pandemic my money is easily on the guy who already lives in Baltimore and wouldn't have to uproot his family. His wife gets to keep her job, his kids don't have to change schools, they don't even have to move. If I live in upstate New York or anywhere else that'd require a drastic change in life situation/living arrangements, I'd seriously think twice about having to figure all that out in the middle of this global crisis. It's not very prudent to attempt a cross-country move right now.

It is my understanding that Gainey can enter the portal but also has the option of staying at Hopkins since there is no coach.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pmI’m putting my money on Marr. Don’t believe what you read he wants this job. A better payday and a chance to land top recruits would be refreshing.
Don't get this...Marr had his team in the FF just in 2018. These days you don't get that far without top recruits. If you're talking about IL's fantasy list of top recruits that rarely comes to fruition, well, good luck with that.

IMO, Marr stays put.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Scott Marr 6/1
Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Greg Raymond 10/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1

I like Greg Raymond at 16/1 better than I like Greg Raymond at 10/1...better return on that bet!
Gotta take both sides, be a seller at 10/1 and buyer at 16/1. What a basis trade.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Wheels wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Scott Marr 6/1
Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Greg Raymond 10/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1

:D :D :D
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Looks like Petro was on thE Glenn Clark radio show this morning
Twitter has some of his comments. There probably a recording

https://soundcloud.com/glennclarkradioc ... il-17-2020
Last edited by AreaLax on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pm The next Head Coach of the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays Men’s Lacrosse Program will be -

Scott Marr 6/1
Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1
Assuming these are odds (e.g. Marr's probability is 1 in 7), that leaves "none of the above" at about 3 in 7. Way too high, IMO.
Homer

Post by Homer »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:12 am The Sears rankings (or whatever it is called right now) only really look at your record and doesn't really delineate between sports. In other words, a Hopkins Tennis team that does well is equal to a football team that does well for ranking purposes. Hopkins has done well at small niche sports - tennis, cross country, etc. but there has been some drop off in the sports that have the biggest fan bases and those fan bases care about - lax, football, basketball, etc. I have a number of swimmer friends and prior to Daniels Hopkins swimming was regularly placing 2nd at the NCAAs (no one is beating Kenyon) since he came. The best results are 4th.
As HopFan16 put it very well above, you're going to need to do a better job showing your work on this.

Football -- posted I believe a .855 winning % in the 2010s, as compared to .692 the decade before, which was the previous record. You're talking about a program that didn't lose a conference game from 2013-16, and just a year ago made a dominating run to the national semifinals where they were a few blown plays from taking down Mount Union. All unprecedented relative to where the program was in the pre-Daniels era. Whatever "drop off" you're talking about sounds like Alice in Wonderland to me.

Men's Basketball -- was ranked #6 in the country at the end of the regular season, which I think is a record for them? Lost in the first round in the equivalent of a UMBC-level upset, just before the tourney was canceled, but still a strong case for best regular season in school history. Loeffler who replaced Nelson has been there 3 years and has the highest-ever winning %. Nelson's results pre- and post-Daniels look pretty similar to me; maybe his best stretch was in the 90s but there's no obvious inflection point around 2010 or after.

Swimming -- men's swimming has at first glance done slightly worse in the 2010s vs the 2000s: average NCAA finish of 5.9 vs. 4.3. Women's swimming has, however, done better by a similar margin: average finish of roughly 9th vs. 11th. All these numbers are skewed by a brief slump the program went through (including a 35th-place finish in 08) spanning the end of Brody's tenure and start of Daniels's, which obviously can't be pinned on the new administration. Aside from that, if you're seriously sweating the delta between a team that alternates 2nd-place and 5th-place finishes vs. one that always finishes around 4th.... I don't know what to tell you except that that strikes me as a really strained cherry-picking of examples in the context of other olympic sports showing clear and dramatic gains.

We could go on. Baseball? I guess if you really flyspeck Babb's winning percentages you could make a case that his peak was around the early 2000s. But again, we're talking about a team that was in the D3 CWS literally last year. Again, where's the "drop off?" And we're not even getting into things like a national championship in volleyball -- a sport most of the country would rank ahead of lacrosse in terms of prominence -- in which Hopkins had a negligible presence before 2010.

I am not a fan of Ron Daniels, by the way. I am very well aware of the culture change that was felt after Brody's departure, and I know a number of excellent people from across various divisions of the university who chose to leave Hopkins in the fallout from that. The frustrations they described I found compelling and persuasive. If there is a Team Daniels, I am not on it. But I simply don't find the story you seem to want to tell about the effects on athletics (at least the on-field component) credible.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Homer wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 pm
steel_hop wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:12 am The Sears rankings (or whatever it is called right now) only really look at your record and doesn't really delineate between sports. In other words, a Hopkins Tennis team that does well is equal to a football team that does well for ranking purposes. Hopkins has done well at small niche sports - tennis, cross country, etc. but there has been some drop off in the sports that have the biggest fan bases and those fan bases care about - lax, football, basketball, etc. I have a number of swimmer friends and prior to Daniels Hopkins swimming was regularly placing 2nd at the NCAAs (no one is beating Kenyon) since he came. The best results are 4th.
As HopFan16 put it very well above, you're going to need to do a better job showing your work on this.

Football -- posted I believe a .855 winning % in the 2010s, as compared to .692 the decade before, which was the previous record. You're talking about a program that didn't lose a conference game from 2013-16, and just a year ago made a dominating run to the national semifinals where they were a few blown plays from taking down Mount Union. All unprecedented relative to where the program was in the pre-Daniels era. Whatever "drop off" you're talking about sounds like Alice in Wonderland to me.

Men's Basketball -- was ranked #6 in the country at the end of the regular season, which I think is a record for them? Lost in the first round in the equivalent of a UMBC-level upset, just before the tourney was canceled, but still a strong case for best regular season in school history. Loeffler who replaced Nelson has been there 3 years and has the highest-ever winning %. Nelson's results pre- and post-Daniels look pretty similar to me; maybe his best stretch was in the 90s but there's no obvious inflection point around 2010 or after.

Swimming -- men's swimming has at first glance done slightly worse in the 2010s vs the 2000s: average NCAA finish of 5.9 vs. 4.3. Women's swimming has, however, done better by a similar margin: average finish of roughly 9th vs. 11th. All these numbers are skewed by a brief slump the program went through (including a 35th-place finish in 08) spanning the end of Brody's tenure and start of Daniels's, which obviously can't be pinned on the new administration. Aside from that, if you're seriously sweating the delta between a team that alternates 2nd-place and 5th-place finishes vs. one that always finishes around 4th.... I don't know what to tell you except that that strikes me as a really strained cherry-picking of examples in the context of other olympic sports showing clear and dramatic gains.

We could go on. Baseball? I guess if you really flyspeck Babb's winning percentages you could make a case that his peak was around the early 2000s. But again, we're talking about a team that was in the D3 CWS literally last year. Again, where's the "drop off?" And we're not even getting into things like a national championship in volleyball -- a sport most of the country would rank ahead of lacrosse in terms of prominence -- in which Hopkins had a negligible presence before 2010.

I am not a fan of Ron Daniels, by the way. I am very well aware of the culture change that was felt after Brody's departure, and I know a number of excellent people from across various divisions of the university who chose to leave Hopkins in the fallout from that. The frustrations they described I found compelling and persuasive. If there is a Team Daniels, I am not on it. But I simply don't find the story you seem to want to tell about the effects on athletics (at least the on-field component) credible.
To say that his actions caused huge changes on the academic side can also be described on the AD side.

The argument can easily stated that given the experience of the coaches that they accomplished more than what they should have. But, then the question could be asked if there weren't as many impediments to recruiting, where each of those programs would stand otherwise. Certainly hard to prove either way but given the rumors floating around that standards are tightening that some coaches decide the strain isn't worth it. It isn't just a matter of getting your players in. Coaches get leeway on players all the time. It is just a matter of how much the have to do to get a player in on the margins in. But, it also depends on the process. How many new hoops do I have to jump to accomplish the same task I was doing before.

i.e. If I only have to do X and a player gets in but now I have to do X+Y+Z to get the same player in but there is no way player A is getting in. I'm sure coaches undertake the process, what else are you going to do otherwise. But eventually those steps become draining, when what I was doing before was working.

Daniels is a putz and I doubt to many people that deal with him (outside of Bloomberg) will cry when he leaves, when ever that is.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Can anyone name a single top recruit, who panned out into an elite/difference-making player at another D1 team, whose first choice was Hopkins, but Petro couldn't get him in because of admissions? Petro got his guys in despite many falling well short of the criteria demanded of regular applicants. If you loosen the requirement too much, that's how you end up with kids in academic trouble. Programs like Yale, Penn, and more have been doing quite well with admission standards that are equally as if not more strict. PS: The St. Joe's goalie who saved at a 59% clip last season and is now in the transfer portal was considering Hopkins in part because Petro told him he wouldn't have to take the GRE whereas another one of his top choices (rhymes with "Nuke") required that he take it.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Laxsmitty wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:00 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:30 pm

Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Greg Raymond 10/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1

It is my understanding that Gainey can enter the portal but also has the option of staying at Hopkins since there is no coach.
You have the option of staying even if you enter the portal. The portal allows coaches to contact you, doesn’t mean you’re bound to transfer. Garnsey entered the portal for ND a few years back and wound up staying. So he can stay at Hopkins irregardless of them not having a coach
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CU77 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:41 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pm The next Head Coach of the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays Men’s Lacrosse Program will be -

Scott Marr 6/1
Shawn Nadelan 8/1
Seth Tierney 9/1
Brian Holman 12/1
Greg Raymond 16/1
Brian Voelker 20/1
Tucker Durkin 20/1
Assuming these are odds (e.g. Marr's probability is 1 in 7), that leaves "none of the above" at about 3 in 7. Way too high, IMO.
Not saying he won’t be interviewed,
But, You can take Holman off the list.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Another small advantage for Raymond

Eric Holden will graduate and his eligibility is unavailable except as a grad student. He's looking for a place to land?

He went 3-2 against the #1 team in the country and was climbing the Tewaaraton List.

He'd add Immediate firepower to an occasionally anemic attack line.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”