Facegram & Instabook

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Facegram & Instabook

Post by youthathletics »

It'll all eventually level out to become a net neutral, zero sum game.....essentially back to square one.

IMO social media will eventually kill itself...and 'long play' media will replace them. Podcasts allow for discourse, uninterrupted back and forth, not handcuffed by character count maximums or subject to some jack-off cancelling you for some BS algorithm intended to silence a particular group (but argued that's now the intent). It is exactly why a Joe Rogan thrives.....people are craving intellectual discussion, and only participating and responding to bits and bytes b/c it is front and center.

Either that....or we truly are headed for Idiocracy.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:34 pm you mean in trolling.

Not discussion, not debate..."argument". Truth be damned.

If you didn’t look down your nose at debate where your ideas come out on the losing end, you’d appreciate debate for its real worth: a remarkable ability to make one’s thoughts more appealing.

Twitter started out fine. It lost its way (as so much of social media does) because senior executives allowed fresh college Bachelor of Arts libs to handle the messier side of biz: who to boot and who not to boot. I always think the senior guys should handle this side of business for social media.

The evidence is more than compelling that Twitter’s ‘safety’ group punishes in only one direction. This isn’t exactly a newsflash to anyone looking.

Twitters stock is on such a slide because the ‘safety’ group caused new companies to start up, to fill the void of information flow, even when that information is rough and tumble (Bannon, Milo, Trump, PewDiePie, Guccifer 2.0, Tommy Robinson, Baked Alaska, Katie Hopkins, etc…). But now that you have three competitors, it’s going to start eating into TWTR’s market share.

All,they needed to do was be more circumspect about death penalties for accounts and work with those that they thought were too rough and tumble. But nope. So they cooked their own goose.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:53 pm It'll all eventually level out to become a net neutral, zero sum game.....essentially back to square one.

IMO social media will eventually kill itself...and 'long play' media will replace them. Podcasts allow for discourse, uninterrupted back and forth, not handcuffed by character count maximums or subject to some jack-off cancelling you for some BS algorithm intended to silence a particular group (but argued that's now the intent). It is exactly why a Joe Rogan thrives.....people are craving intellectual discussion, and only participating and responding to bits and bytes b/c it is front and center.

I just see the social media game as being echo chambers eventually; you’re beginning to see that already as they lose their energy. TWTR elevates real birdbrains. Look at this total loon, Eric Feigl Ding, a guy who outright lied about using qualifications for years, but yet still the leftists cheered the guy with each gloom and doom Covid totalitarian take.

Seth Abramson. Louise Mensch. Eric Garland. These people are straight lunatics who can say anything they want and will never be kicked off the platform because their politics lean left. So you eventually stop attempting to correct them. And of course their followers simply become less informed as they begin to believe these guys aren’t clowns. This is real misinformation.

If TWTR somehow can replace the aggressively leftist ‘safety’ monitors, they can regain their edge. But I’m just not sold the senior executives have enough at stake to even care. They might be more energized by aiding the DNC rather than seeing the stock price go up again.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:53 pm It'll all eventually level out to become a net neutral, zero sum game.....essentially back to square one.

yes, that does appear to be the tradeoff, though I suspect it will be a hybrid...and still idiocracy.

Neither formats demand even an effort, nor reward, for truth telling. Both encourage polarization.

Unless the mechanisms measure and thereby reward truth, we'll get more extreme usage by propagandists, and more polarization with echo chambers.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:01 pm

yes, that does appear to be the tradeoff, though I suspect it will be a hybrid...and still idiocracy.

Neither formats demand even an effort, nor reward, for truth telling. Both encourage polarization.

Unless the mechanisms measure and thereby reward truth, we'll get more extreme usage by propagandists, and more polarization with echo chambers.
I believe you grossly underestimate the 'long discussion' formats, because you tend to hang on to a sliver of something you may hear as a non-truth, then simply shut it down, mentally. The idea is to NOT discuss only facts.....that becomes quite boring and non-challenging, the idea is to promote thought provoking discourse; this is what is so appealing to the tens of millions that listen to Rogan, daily. But you will shut him down b/c of a sound bite and ignore the many guests that you would otherwise really enjoy and you've articulated similarly.

Polariazation? that is just crazy talk...you clearly do not listen to podcast..you damn boomer. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Feb 21, 2022 - Politics & Policy
Populist flamethrowers rock media
Axios
Neal Rothschild, Sara Fischer
Featured image
Photo illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios. Photos: Britta Pedersen/Getty Images, Lloyd Bishop/NBC, Kevin Mazur via Getty Images
Provocateurs from outside traditional party politics are driving a polarizing new strain of American political conversation.

Why it matters: Joe Rogan, Elon Musk, Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy and others have become some of the biggest cultural flashpoints of the Biden era.

The big picture: During a time of hyper-polarization in politics, these personalities brand themselves "free thinkers" untethered to political dogma, offending core tenets of every political party's worldview.

The focus on Trump-era conservative voices, including Alex Jones and Sean Hannity, has shifted to viral voices with appeal on both sides of the aisle.
The Atlantic’s Derek Thompson has dubbed these entertainers and pundits "DGAF [don’t give a f***] populists," noting the same qualities that make them popular "are the qualities that make them a nightmare for publicly traded companies" — Spotify or Netflix.
"[They] are big precisely because they don't just say 'no' to the prevailing discourse, the prevailing culture," Saagar Enjeti, host of an anti-establishment YouTube show and a guest on Rogan's show, tells Axios.

"They explicitly say: 'Screw you.' ... I would say that is the heart of a lot of their appeal."
State of play: Provocateurs dominate today's media ecosystem, creating a barrage of headlines in response to just one tweet or comment.

Joe Rogan's various controversies — from Alex Jones interviews to anti-vaccination comments to his apology for using racial slurs in the past — have driven entire news cycles.
Elon Musk has tried to steer clear of many hot-button political issues, but has continued to take to Twitter to troll policymakers, most recently calling President Biden “a damp puppet in human form." In 2017, he left Trump’s business council over climate policy,
Between the lines: After a backlash, these hosts often rebound stronger.

Rogan added more Instagram followers in January — after Neil Young pulled his music from Spotify to protest Rogan — than in any other month since 2018, according to CrowdTangle data.
Dave Chappelle's Instagram following jumped 19% — more than the previous nine months combined — in October of last year, after backlash over a Netflix special in which he made anti-transgender jokes.
On Friday, Netflix said it struck a deal with Chappelle to host and produce four comedy specials highlighting other comedians.
Bari Weiss, who has described herself as a "center-left on most things," resigned as a New York Times columnist, writing that "my own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views." She's now reportedly bringing in $800,000 a year from her Substack newsletter.
Reality check: Guests on Rogan's show have misinformation about COVID to his audience of 11 million listeners, and he has made anti-vax comments he later walked back.

Our thought bubble: South Park co-creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker helped pioneer a genre of culturally prominent, anti-political correctness comedy in the late 1990s.

While shows like the "Roseanne" reboot faced cancellations in the wake of political blunders, South Park is still going strong after 24 seasons — perhaps because Parker and Stone are seen by the media as free speech evangelists, not politically motivated stars.
“We have been waiting to get canceled for 30 years,” Stone told The Hollywood Reporter last year.
The bottom line: New media personalities have gained enormous traction in the Biden era by catering to people who feel disillusioned by the mainstream press on podcasts, in YouTube videos and via newsletters.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:37 pm

I believe you grossly underestimate the 'long discussion' formats, because you tend to hang on to a sliver of something you may hear as a non-truth, then simply shut it down, mentally. The idea is to NOT discuss only facts.....that becomes quite boring and non-challenging, the idea is to promote thought provoking discourse; this is what is so appealing to the tens of millions that listen to Rogan, daily. But you will shut him down b/c of a sound bite and ignore the many guests that you would otherwise really enjoy and you've articulated similarly.

Polariazation? that is just crazy talk...you clearly do not listen to podcast..you damn boomer. ;) :lol:
Read a book. They have lots of facts.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

:D :lol: I actually do listen to a bunch of politically oriented podcasts, thanks to my son's interests, but I find them quite limited in their scope, definitely from a particular perspective. But super interesting. Very bright, very knowledgeable, self deprecating most of the time.

I'm all for long form over short form.

But I've also tried to listen to Rogan and some of tech's other suggestions and I just can't get past the dumbness of some of the "discussion", the allowance for actual disinformation without real contestation. Wrap it up in an entertaining or pseudoscientific bow, and sure, podcasts can attract a big audience...just like talk radio does...which I also find mind numbingly partisan. It's "long form" but usually grossly dumb.

I'm sure that happens on the left as well. I just haven't stumbled across it yet, though I do find some of the commentary hyperbolic.

All that said, I definitely prefer long form to twitter and FB type "conversations"...!!!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If build back better was a commercial: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4TJBjFL0s ... 8T_BJq7-zo
~Livy

NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:10 pm If build back better was a commercial: https://www.instagram.com/p/CW4TJBjFL0s ... 8T_BJq7-zo

Welp, looks like we're headed for idiocracy folks. :lol:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:57 pm
But I've also tried to listen to Rogan and some of tech's other suggestions and I just can't get past the dumbness of some of the "discussion", the allowance for actual disinformation without real contestation. Wrap it up in an entertaining or pseudoscientific bow, and sure, podcasts can attract a big audience...just like talk radio does...which I also find mind numbingly partisan. It's "long form" but usually grossly dumb.
:lol: Yeah I'm sure you gave it the old college try.

Since the effort to cancel Rogan was unleashed, amongst others he has interviewed: General McMaster, Jordan Peterson, Josh Dubin, Steven Koonin, Andrew Dessler, Michael Olsterholm, Maajid Nawas, and Coleman Hughes... These folks make for really "dumb" conversation. :roll:

And let's not lie about it mdlax, on Rogan, information is fact checked in real time and discussion is always open to "contestation". Cite one instance where the corporate media programs have done that?

Not your cup of tea? Fine... but don't ruin it for others (many others) who happen disagree with you.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:56 pm

Since the effort to cancel Rogan was unleashed, amongst others he has interviewed: General McMaster, Jordan Peterson, Josh Dubin, Steven Koonin, Andrew Dessler, Michael Olsterholm, Maajid Nawas, and Coleman Hughes... These folks make for really "dumb" conversation. :roll:

And let's not lie about it mdlax, on Rogan, information is fact checked in real time and discussion is always open to "contestation". Cite one instance where the corporate media programs have done that?

Not your cup of tea? Fine... but don't ruin it for others (many others) who happen disagree with you.

Yup.

The next stage of the revolution will feature terrified people going beyond self-censorship to denouncing and actively joining in the persecution of others, to place themselves above suspicion of lacking zeal for the cause. It's how these things work. You can take it to the bank.
a fan

Post by a fan »

And no one gives a sh*t about any of those guests. No one.

Watch his ratings plummet as he stops talking about Covid and tinfoilhat nonsense. THAT is what made his ratings explode....he attracted all the Covidnutjobs by telling them what they wanted to hear about vaccines.

But sure, play dumb, and pretend you don't get that. Because everyone is just SO worried about Joe Rogan's discussions with Neil D Tyson. :roll:

They didn't want people listen to Joe's nonsense on FakeCovidTreatments..... not take the vaccines, get f*cking Covid, and die. Boy. That's some nefarious stuff, Tech. You MUST put a stop to people who don't want their fellow Americans to die. I mean....the nerve of these people!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:17 pm

And no one gives a sh*t about any of those guests. No one.

Watch his ratings plummet as he stops talking about Covid and tinfoilhat nonsense. THAT is what made his ratings explode....he attracted all the Covidnutjobs by telling them what they wanted to hear about vaccines.

But sure, play dumb, and pretend you don't get that. Because everyone is just SO worried about Joe Rogan's discussions with Neil D Tyson. :roll:

They didn't want people listen to Joe's nonsense on FakeCovidTreatments..... not take the vaccines, get f*cking Covid, and die. Boy. That's some nefarious stuff, Tech. You MUST put a stop to people who don't want their fellow Americans to die. I mean....the nerve of these people!
Just trolling again a fan? Otherwise you need to get a grip. IMHO of course.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

:D :lol: I actually do listen to a bunch of politically oriented podcasts, thanks to my son's interests, but I find them quite limited in their scope, definitely from a particular perspective. But super interesting. Very bright, very knowledgeable, self deprecating most of the time.

I'm all for long form over short form.

I'm sure that happens on the left as well. I just haven't stumbled across it yet, though I do find some of the commentary hyperbolic.

All that said, I definitely prefer long form to twitter and FB type "conversations"...!!!
Lex Friedman? Write? Gotta be Lex Friedman that your son recommended. Lex Friedman barely speaks.......Lex Friedman listens. When Lex Friedman was on Joe Rogan......great conversation. Lex Friedman would definitely be in the 24-45 demographic. Great guests. GOTTA be Lex Friedman.

In other words. Name some names, interested to see what interesting expansive viewpoints others limit themselves......

Can't be Kyle & Krystal? Kim Iverson (awesome )......so, wondering, whom, podcasts are on your political playlist ?

Great one, today.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Afan is out of touch....maybe the mash fumes are making him lightheaded. People like Leno, Carson, Oprah, etc never had good ratings since there was no covid.
~Livy

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:17 pm

And no one gives a sh*t about any of those guests. No one. I am no one

Watch his ratings plummet as he stops talking about Covid and tinfoilhat nonsense. THAT is what made his ratings explode....he attracted all the Covidnutjobs by telling them what they wanted to hear about vaccines. :lol: :lol: Keep on spewing your fecesbook ignorance.

But sure, play dumb, and pretend you don't get that. Because everyone is just SO worried about Joe Rogan's discussions with Neil D Tyson. :roll: Get what? You and yours hate idea's and discussions......you just wanna talk AT us......label us. The word, IS, bigot.

........you got nothing. I ain't a lil r, or lil d.........so, what retort of fecesbook mindset is the great Afan gonna talk AT us ?

That you want a "shot" that does NOT do what it said it would do, doesn't work, should be mandatory? yeah, go ahead, compare smallpox or polio to trumpsU fake 'vaccine" \
\

anyone notice, that last fall, our "US" govt. decided to change the term, meaning, of "vaccine". Yeah, spreading lies. Even if posting the CDC's on stuff. :roll: speaking of the cdc.......large segments of the CDC's covid data...is, well....kinda of "unavailable.
What the heck is wrong with all of you.........not a little odd?

taken as a whole........yup just a bully. You have the write to listen....too. try it.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
a fan

Post by a fan »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:34 pm Get what? You and yours hate idea's and discussions......you just wanna talk AT us......label us. The word, IS, bigot.
Yep. That's me. Because of course, you would never lecture the rest of us, and call us sheep, right?
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:34 pm That you want a "shot" that does NOT do what it said it would do, doesn't work, should be mandatory?
Nope. Just mandatory for you. I want them to force YOU to get the shot. Everyone else? I"m good. They don't have to take it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:29 pm Afan is out of touch....maybe the mash fumes are making him lightheaded. People like Leno, Carson, Oprah, etc never had good ratings since there was no covid.
Yep. I'm out of touch.

Wanna wager if Rogan's ratings are down post Covid or not?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:44 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:29 pm Afan is out of touch....maybe the mash fumes are making him lightheaded. People like Leno, Carson, Oprah, etc never had good ratings since there was no covid.
Yep. I'm out of touch.

Wanna wager if Rogan's ratings are down post Covid or not?
#QFP I’ll put it on my outlook calendar for a year from now.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”