SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: SCOTUS

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:41 am
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:37 am
a fan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:32 am
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:03 am They were blown off here as peaceful protests. Remember the jokes about the elk statue in Portland, when the Fed Court House was repeatedly torched.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... e%20statue.
Says the guy who told us Jan 6th was a peaceful protest.

Old Salt as usual thinks that the forum doesn't have a search function.
How much damage was done on Jan 6, compared to the preceding BLM/Antifa riots. How much property damage & loss of life ?

How many nights was the Fed Court House in Portland torched ?
Last time we all checked the Portland Courthouse is still standing and is completely operational :oops: :oops:
...at what cost ? How long closed ?

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... 20Mark%20O.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

J13 makes J6 look like a guided tour.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:49 am
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:03 am They were blown off here as peaceful protests. Remember the jokes about the elk statue in Portland, when the Fed Court House was repeatedly torched.

How much damage was done on Jan 6, compared to the preceding BLM/Antifa riots. How much property damage & loss of life ?

Last time we all checked the Portland Courthouse is still standing and is completely operational :oops: :oops:

Baloney. The rioting was roundly critiqued on here, including the Portland 'occupation'.

Consistently condemned the violence, the looting, the arson, etc. No one on here was cheering that on. Total gaslighting again, Salty.

But yes, the more than 6,000 BLM protests were overwhelmingly peaceful and non-violent. Fact.

Jan 6 was not "peaceful" by a very long shot. 2,000 violent insurrectionists caught. One shot and killed by police. Multiple police deaths related to that trauma, 100+ police injured. Trump cheered them on. Many prominent MAGA old and media types applauded or excused or minimized it.

Of course, lots of the other protestors that day had no intention of the violence nor participated in it. And, they had every right to protest, no matter how misguided or delusional their 'cause'.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:22 am

Baloney. The rioting was roundly critiqued on here, including the Portland 'occupation'.

Consistently condemned the violence, the looting, the arson, etc. No one on here was cheering that on. Total gaslighting again, Salty.

But yes, the more than 6,000 BLM protests were overwhelmingly peaceful and non-violent. Fact.

Jan 6 was not "peaceful" by a very long shot. 2,000 violent insurrectionists caught. One shot and killed by police. Multiple police deaths related to that trauma, 100+ police injured. Trump cheered them on. Many prominent MAGA old and media types applauded or excused or minimized it.

Of course, lots of the other protestors that day had no intention of the violence nor participated in it. And, they had every right to protest, no matter how misguided or delusional their 'cause'.
I think he may have forgotten there were outsiders stirring up violence
old salt

Post by old salt »

You may have condemned it (at times), but several mocked, minimized or excused it.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Growing up in Virginia in the 60-70s, I'm familiar with the "Lost Cause"...

Caused a little cognitive dissonance until I asked my parents about what I was being taught in school. They provided some books for me to read to sort things out. Didn't tell me what to think; they offered me other perspectives.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:40 pm You may have condemned it (at times), but several mocked, minimized or excused it.
really? cite some specific examples please. :oops:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:49 am
old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:40 pm You may have condemned it (at times), but several mocked, minimized or excused it.
really? cite some specific examples please. :oops:
TLD's multiple posts about the Portland deer statue.

Here's 574 pages to sift through.
viewtopic.php?t=2024
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:40 pm

You may have condemned it (at times), but several mocked, minimized or excused it.
Funny, I don't recall that at all. Quite the opposite.

Ok, anyone want to 'fess up to "mocked, minimized or excused" the violence, the looting, the arson of the "riots" that did happen, including the part in Portland?

I think Salty is confusing the defenses of the peaceful protests, the righteousness of their cause, the reasonableness even of their anger, with justifying violence, looting, etc. I just don't recall anyone, at least on here, cheering the violence. Same for prominent Dem politicians and media.

By contrast, we really did get that with Jan 6 from MAGA world, including on here.

of course, I could be wrong and just forgetting people on here cheering "Antifa" rioting...

Re TLD, mocking you and others isn't the same as supporting violence, arson, etc.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:46 am

Ok, anyone want to 'fess up to "mocked, minimized or excused" the violence, the looting, the arson of the "riots" that did happen, including the part in Portland?

I think Salty is confusing the defenses of the peaceful protests, the righteousness of their cause, the reasonableness even of their anger, with justifying violence, looting, etc.
He's not confusing anything. He's gaslighting for the 1,000,000th time.

TLD and others mocked Old Salt himself, not the protests, because OS was playing the FoxNation game where he tells us on one thread that Jan 6th was no big deal, and on the other, that the entire city of Portland had burned to the ground.

It's the partisan game: when your team does bad stuff, come on and post about how and why it's no big deal....and when the other side does bad stuff, clutch your pearls, and claim the world is ending.

It's a waste of time, and why TLD others made fun of his hysteria with Portland.....with the "Jan 6th was Nancy Pelosi's fault". :roll:

As always, he's welcome to keep playing this pointless partisan game....just as our fellow posters are welcome to make fun of it.....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:53 am

I think Salty is confusing the defenses of the peaceful protests, the righteousness of their cause, the reasonableness even of their anger, with justifying violence, looting, etc.

TLD and others mocked Old Salt himself, not the protests, because OS was playing the FoxNation game where he tells us on one thread that Jan 6th was no big deal, and on the other, that the entire city of Portland had burned to the ground.

It's the partisan game: when your team does bad stuff, come on and post about how and why it's no big deal....and when the other side does bad stuff, clutch your pearls, and claim the world is ending.

It's a waste of time, and why TLD others made fun of his hysteria with Portland.....with the "Jan 6th was Nancy Pelosi's fault". :roll:

As always, he's welcome to keep playing this pointless partisan game....just as our fellow posters are welcome to make fun of it.....
correct, the mocking was not of the violence, but of the hypocrisy of posters and Fox et al.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Some folks are tactical thinkers
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Are We Finally Letting Go of Our Learned-Helplessness Syndrome Around the Supreme Court?
To call for structural change would require a kind of systemwide cognitive reboot for American voters that seems almost inconceivable in the generalized torpor and despair of July 2024; it would necessitate asking an electorate that has in large part lost all confidence and trust in the high court whether it believes that something might genuinely be done to change it. Overwhelmingly, and for many years, the answer to that question has been a resounding no.

As in: We hated the result in Bush v. Gore, but what’s to be done; we hated the result in Shelby County, but, you know, shrug. We hated Heller, we hated Hobby Lobby, we hated Dobbs, we hated Bruen, and we hated the upside-down flags and the superyachts and the salmon fishing, but by all means let’s keep blaming Mitch McConnell and Ruth Bader Ginsburg instead of doing anything. And by all means let’s keep choking down whatever Judges Matthew Kacsmaryk and Aileen Cannon keep shoveling at us in the name of preserving “judicial independence.”

There are two fundamental ideas that would need to be jettisoned in a matter of weeks. The first is that this is what living in a free and fair democracy demands. That argument holds that nobody likes the imperial court and nobody feels great about the imperial court’s spontaneous creation of an imperial executive branch this past month, but these are the wages one pays for living in the freest, bestest, most perfectly conceived legal system in the world.

Except virtually no other constitutional court operates with only clothing-optional ethics rules, and with lifetime tenure, and with not even a theoretical possibility of impeachment or removal. Explaining to Americans that unfettered judicial behavior is the exception and not the rule demands a bit of international curiosity. Luckily, we have the data...
The whole piece is worth a read...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:05 am

correct, the mocking was not of the violence, but of the hypocrisy of posters and Fox et al.
Just compare the property damage, businesses lost & body count, between Jan 6 & the BLM & Antifa riots in cities throughout the US.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:54 am

Just compare the property damage, businesses lost & body count, between Jan 6 & the BLM & Antifa riots in cities throughout the US.
You were mocked and will continue to be mocked.

No other event comes close to trying to overturn the US government.
No other event involved a pitched battle injuring over a hundred police in defense of democracy and protecting the lives of so many.

You want to try to compare 6,000 protest events against police violence to a single, horrific attempt to over turn the government.
Yup, you're going to be mocked.

Damage to business and property and loss of life are not being mocked much less cheered, and never were, on here.

Pure gaslighting to claim otherwise.

such thin skin.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:21 am

No other event involved a pitched battle injuring over a hundred police in defense of democracy and protecting the lives of so many.

You want to try to compare 6,000 protest events against police violence to a single, horrific attempt to over turn the government.

Damage to business and property and loss of life are not being mocked much less cheered, and never were, on here.

such thin skin.
You'd feel differently if your business was torched or looted, or your neighborhood burned out, never to recover.
That happened in more than one place.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:49 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:21 am

such thin skin.
You'd feel differently if your business was torched or looted, or your neighborhood burned out, never to recover.
I don't think that's correct, but if you're asking if I can imagine being in such position, have empathy, etc...absolutely. I also think anyone who lost a business or home etc should be able to tap a rescue fund similar to disaster relief funds. This sort of thing is a disaster, outside of one's control. Folks need help.

I also think that those who are found to have participated in destruction, looting, arson, etc, should get prosecuted for such, and not lightly.

I just don't think it remotely rises to an effort to overturn the US government, reverse an election, through disinformation, incitement, and pitched battle threatening to kill people.

Not close.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:49 am You'd feel differently if your business was torched or looted, or your neighborhood burned out, never to recover.
:lol: A business owner would feel differently about Jan 6th....."because" their building was burned in a totally unrelated matter.

Yeah...no. Sorry. That's not how it works in anyone's mind but yours, and your fellow Republicans. Whataboutism.

And you moved the goalposts from Portland to BLM, hoping no one would notice.

And as I you know, for the 100th time, I told you that the use of fire is as bad as it gets. For the very reason above, and the potential for mass casualties.

All were bad.

But what you refuse to do is: make an equivalence between the Jan 6th protesters who stayed on the lawn, and never crossed the barriers....and the tens of thousand of BLM protesters who were peaceful. It's the same folks who want change, want to be heard, and want to get it without violence.

I have supported both from the word go.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”