CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 am Bloomberg would be an extreme long shot at this point within the D primary - his winning NYC coalition includes a lot of Rs that wont have any say in picking the D nominee. In reality, he and any of the other billionaires who are running/toyed with running would be better off pushing Senate races...
That's probably right...however, I suspect that Bloomberg will be funding many a Senate race as well. I'd also bet we'll see a whole lot of ads and funding that take on a series of issues, such as what happened in VA this past cycle with his funding the gun control movement.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:36 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 am Bloomberg would be an extreme long shot at this point within the D primary - his winning NYC coalition includes a lot of Rs that wont have any say in picking the D nominee. In reality, he and any of the other billionaires who are running/toyed with running would be better off pushing Senate races...
That's probably right...however, I suspect that Bloomberg will be funding many a Senate race as well. I'd also bet we'll see a whole lot of ads and funding that take on a series of issues, such as what happened in VA this past cycle with his funding the gun control movement.

Not that my opinion maters, but if Mike Bloomberg runs, he has my vote 100x and Sunday. I don't just like Bloomberg, I positively love the guy, in spite of his college choices...

He would beat Trump imo handily. The problem would be what he creates in his wake...I see a Democrat Party permanently fissuring. I don't think he can bridge the divide between the hard Left and the middle Dems. And perhaps that is not a problem so much as a natural evolution of sorts, where the American political landscape becomes trifurcated.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:50 am

Not that my opinion maters, but if Mike Bloomberg runs, he has my vote 100x and Sunday. I don't just like Bloomberg, I positively love the guy, in spite of his college choices...

He would beat Trump imo handily. The problem would be what he creates in his wake...I see a Democrat Party permanently fissuring. I don't think he can bridge the divide between the hard Left and the middle Dems. And perhaps that is not a problem so much as a natural evolution of sorts, where the American political landscape becomes trifurcated.
Maybe, but that's the Dems problem. I'm an R.

Seems to me that he's the sort of D or R, I don't care the label, who actually analyzes serious problems, and devises actual solutions that make sense. Experiments and tests hypotheses.

He doesn't believe in spending for spending's sake, however believes government can and should play an important role in shaping outcomes. But do it smartly, efficiently.

So, I think that the actions he would take and promote, particularly if the Senate is either Dem or very close, would be pragmatic and actually accomplish serious movement on areas that progressives care about. Infrastructure. Education. Climate. Guns. Health costs. Poverty. immigration.

On each of these, I think he's sufficiently 'progressive' to be able to win the Dems to action, and some R's because the answers will be pragmatic and moderate by comparison.

Will the progressives be impatient for more, faster? Sure.
Will he face challenge the second time around? Probably...

But will he restore respect and credibility around the world? Yup
Will the economy be well managed? (no President can control, best case is don't screw it up) Yup
Will progress be made on long stuck issues? Yup

And will he attract and hire high quality people? You betcha.

But winning the Dem primary now will be hard.
But if he does, he'll chew Trump up, and that's ultimately a big attraction for the left.

I'm still a Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar fan, but if Bloomberg can actually win over the Dems, that's even better.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 amPerhaps you don't understand that paying a woman to strip and act provocatively, degradingly, to the cheers of the crowd is wrong too?

I'm not claiming Duke players exhibited 'good conduct', and certainly as time goes by and our culture rapidly evolves, it becomes worse if done in today's standards, but in case you think that hiring a stripper 14 years ago was worthy of having an entire season canceled, I'd like to introduce you to every fraternity in America. Would you like to revoke their charters, too?

The partisan slap comes from what I read here on these boards (maybe not this thread but elsewhere) as 'Republicans are the moral police blahblahblah' blather...maybe with that in mind, you could assess the Duke case in light of the time (2006) and perhaps a tad more nuance? I see some, perhaps not you, needing to conflate these two incidents for reasons of making the Duke kids look bad when they are anything but; to any objective eye, the two incidents are world's apart...Duke's Admin cut bait on the season and Coach P because the mob (the liberal mob if we are being honest) demanded heads. Bending to the mob is the worst way to run a civil society.

I agree about the St. Paul's season, and sure the age is not conditional on the underlying crime, but it sure adds points to the degradation scale.
The incidents are of course not equivalent in whole, they are similar enough however. You seem to have no problem finding the St. Paul's situation was handled correctly by the school, but have trouble with the Duke case. Part of the reason for the season cancelation in the St. Paul's case was not just the details of the incident, but also the effect on the school and the other students, not part of the team. The team in both cases was responsible for a big fat black eye being meted out to the institution and other members of the institution. The team has a responsibility to the institution. The team did not hold up their end of the bargain with respect to the rest of the institution. Cancelation of the season was just in both cases. Additional sanctions by the institution of specific individuals, "the most guilty" was also warranted.

The fact that after the initial incident some other members of the university did not act responsibly does nothing to lessen the fact that the initial incident caused by the choices of the team negatively impacted the university's reputation and the reputation of those others associated with the university. In the Duke case, Nifong attempting to build his career on the bodies of the Duke players was horribly wrong, but not in control of the university. After the fact, other members of the university brought dishonor to institution as well, but none of this relieves the lacrosse team of its responsibility! This is why their season was canceled by the university. The details of the incident don't really matter.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 am
Bandito wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:25 pm Michael Bloomberg entering the race for the Dems. You know they’re in huge trouble!

Old, billionaire white male to get into the Democrat primary for President.

Democrats ... “Diversity is our strength.”

Hypocrites!

Dems are sounding the alarm. No hope for 2020

Bloomberg entering should help Trump:

-Knocks Biden out

-Forces other Dems to spend all $ they have to keep up with him, leaving them no $ for the general

-Too extreme on guns to win general election

-Too moderate to win a Dem primary

-Dem party too anti-Semitic to pick him
The elections really got your knickers in a twist. It's tough getting "owned by the "libs" I suppose. You made your bed, sorry you have to lie in it.

Us independents are just sitting back watching you eat yourselves. It's entertaining but kind of annoying.
What? You don’t make any sense. I made a point how hypocritical the left is and how Bloomberg running helps Trump. Sorry you’re not intelligent enough to understand. Seek help
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Bandito wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:14 am
Bandito wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:25 pm Michael Bloomberg entering the race for the Dems. You know they’re in huge trouble!

Hypocrites!

-Knocks Biden out

-Forces other Dems to spend all $ they have to keep up with him, leaving them no $ for the general

The elections really got your knickers in a twist. It's tough getting "owned by the "libs" I suppose. You made your bed, sorry you have to lie in it.

Us independents are just sitting back watching you eat yourselves. It's entertaining but kind of annoying.
What? You don’t make any sense. I made a point how hypocritical the left is and how Bloomberg running helps Trump. Sorry you’re not intelligent enough to understand. Seek help
OK Boomer.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:40 pm
Bandito wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:14 am

Hypocrites!

-Knocks Biden out

OK Boomer.
Another leftist owned by Bandito. Take a hike.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Bandito wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Your point was wrong and Bloomberg running won't help Trump. So you're wrong and got owned on Tuesday as well as today.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:27 pm
Bandito wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Your point was wrong and Bloomberg running won't help Trump. So you're wrong and got owned on Tuesday as well as today.
My point was right. You’re wrong per usual. Try harder next time. Be better. Trump is your President and will be through 2024. Better find your safe space
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Bandito wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 pm
My point was right. You’re wrong per usual. Try harder next time. Be better. Trump is your President and will be through 2024. Better find your safe space
My safe space is watching you flail around on the boards. It's humorous and makes my day.

Also, the Democratic primary field is the most diverse in history. One old white guy jumping in to the already crowded race does not make that particular party hypocritical.

Bandito

Post by Bandito »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm
Bandito wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 pm
My safe space is watching you flail around on the boards. It's humorous and makes my day.

Also, the Democratic primary field is the most diverse in history. One old white guy jumping in to the already crowded race does not make that particular party hypocritical.

Me? Nope. That’s your buddies crying about Trump being their President. I’m just here to speak truth and make sure they know how wrong they were in 2016. Everyone on here is a sore loser. Move on! Get over it! Trump is your President
Congrats on being so diverse. Why are you obsessed with it? Why not be for the best person to do the job? Liberals are obsessive over race and diversity it proves time and again they are the biggest racists and bigots among the population. Democrats don’t care about blacks, gays, Hispanics or women if they don’t vote Democrat. Why aren’t you talking about the new AG from KY who’s a black Republican! First ever to serve in KY. Doesn’t fit your narrative now does it?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trolls are best left under the bridge, Holmes.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Bandito wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 pmMe? Nope. That’s your buddies crying about Trump being their President. I’m just here to speak truth and make sure they know how wrong they were in 2016. Everyone on here is a sore loser. Move on! Get over it! Trump is your President
Congrats on being so diverse. Why are you obsessed with it? Why not be for the best person to do the job? Liberals are obsessive over race and diversity it proves time and again they are the biggest racists and bigots among the population. Democrats don’t care about blacks, gays, Hispanics or women if they don’t vote Democrat. Why aren’t you talking about the new AG from KY who’s a black Republican! First ever to serve in KY. Doesn’t fit your narrative now does it?
You're the one on here so obsessed with diversity that you were yelling about it regarding Bloomberg - you're the one who brought it up. You're also obsessed with your AG from KY who is black. You are parading him around like he's your one black friend to prove you're not racist.

Why would I need to talk about him anyway, I don't live in Kentucky. Congrats to him for winning though!

What are you doing to help blacks, gays, hispanics and women that don't vote for Republicans? Why aren't you talking about that?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:59 pm Trolls are best left under the bridge, Holmes.
I just needed some entertainment for the day ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:59 pm Trolls are best left under the bridge, Holmes.
I just needed some entertainment for the day ;)
Understood. :)
Trolls, though, actually like rolling in the mud.

My now deceased Pop often said...don't get into a peeing fight with a skunk.
They like the smell.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 amBut if [Bloomberg gets the nomination], he'll chew Trump up, and that's ultimately a big attraction for the left.
Not at all clear to me that Bloomberg wins easily. Does the AA vote turn out for him the way it would for Obama's VP Biden? Does the blue-collar union vote in the swing states turn out the way they would for Biden? Do the progressive foot soldiers go out and knock on doors day after day for a multibillionaire?

And there's something whiny about Bloomberg's voice. Every time I hear him speak, it reminds of this:

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 amBut if [Bloomberg gets the nomination], he'll chew Trump up, and that's ultimately a big attraction for the left.
Not at all clear to me that Bloomberg wins easily. Does the AA vote turn out for him the way it would for Obama's VP Biden? Does the blue-collar union vote in the swing states turn out the way they would for Biden? Do the progressive foot soldiers go out and knock on doors day after day for a multibillionaire?

And there's something whiny about Bloomberg's voice. Every time I hear him speak, it reminds of this:

Maybe, but I think he goes toe to toe with Trump and that excites the heck out of the base, without scaring off those swing blue collar folks...after all they voted for 'billionaire' Trump.

And I think he pulls in a diverse advisory team, certainly by the general...top of the line people.
Including AA's and Hispanics.
Anyone think he'll have difficulty with Cabinet positions?

He will have difficulty with evangelicals, but other than Mayor Pete, I don't see any Dem pulling much there, other than some of the young folks who are turned off by their parents' version of politics and religion.

And the advertising will be top of the line, professional, and devastating.

But odds of him pulling it off in the primaries without actually alienating the Bernie and Warren crowds too much in the process, I dunno. He needs to not be too dismissive of them on a personal level, though he's definitely the right guy to explain how the economics of their plans don't add up. Of course, he'll take a ton of flack from them for being a successful billionaire...problem for them on that is that he's been incredibly generous philanthropically and he's put his money to good causes politically, effectively. Very tough to make it stick that he doesn't like the wealth tax because he himself is greedy.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:50 am

Not that my onion maters, but if Mike Bloomberg runs, he has my vote 100x and Sunday. I don't just like Bloomberg, I positively love the guy, in spite of his college choices...

Seems to me that he's the sort of D or R, I don't care the label, who actually analyzes serious problems, and devises actual solutions that make sense. Experiments and tests hypotheses.

He doesn't believe in spending for spending's sake, however believes government can and should play an important role in shaping outcomes. But do it smartly, efficiently.

So, I think that the actions he would take and promote, particularly if the Senate is either Dem or very close, would be pragmatic and actually accomplish serious movement on areas that progressives care about. Infrastructure. Education. Climate. Guns. Health costs. Poverty. immigration.

On each of these, I think he's sufficiently 'progressive' to be able to win the Dems to action, and some R's because the answers will be pragmatic and moderate by comparison.

Will the progressives be impatient for more, faster? Sure.
Will he face challenge the second time around? Probably...

But will he restore respect and credibility around the world? Yup
Will the economy be well managed? (no President can control, best case is don't screw it up) Yup
Will progress be made on long stuck issues? Yup
And will he attract and hire high quality people? You betcha.

But winning the Dem primary now will be hard.
But if he does, he'll chew Trump up, and that's ultimately a big attraction for the left.

I'm still a Mayor Pete and Amy Klobuchar fan, but if Bloomberg can actually win over the Dems, that's even better.
"Maybe, but that's the Dems problem. I'm an R."

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah and I'm Howard Hughes illegitimate son. :D I know the Republican party is a pretty pathetic group of swines. I think they still have just enough standards to drag a blue blood Rockefeller like you out to the curb and give you a swift kick in the rear end. Then again... probably not... :P . MD I know a bunch of Republicans and for the most part they are all over the place in what they think and believe... you sir are the red haired step child of all of them. Exactly nothing that you post here resembles in any way shape or form what they profess to be Republican dogma. No matter how convoluted their political beliefs they all despise Democrats to the bone.

You seem more than willing to lick that Democrat bone. As long as you get along nicey, nicey with all the FLP folks on here you are fine and dandy. Grow some balls and put your Mr Rogers schtick aside long enough to not be afraid of "offending" the FLP folks here. IMO and you won't like my assessment, your an embarrassment to your own party. You do realize that in 99% of all conversations here you NEVER disagree or admonish any of the FLP folks that you admire so much. I call that being a kiss ass, I guess according to you, that is what your Republican party has devolved into. It is easy to just agree with people to get along. It is a lot harder to actually speak what your heart tells you knowing that you will catch hell for it. Your better at being a kiss ass. That suit fits you much better.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:54 pmI think he goes toe to toe with Trump and that excites the heck out of the base
I dunno, I get the feeling that you don't get to talk to very many people in that base. It seems to me that, to a large fraction of them, Trump is just a symptom of a systemic problem, and they view D centrists as just different symptoms of the same problem. Many will stay home if Bloomberg is the nominee. More importantly, these folks are usually the ones doing the election grunt work: phone banks, door-to-door, etc. They MIGHT show up for Biden if he picks the right VP. But Bloomberg is inherently a class traitor and so has a much tougher road to hoe.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:54 pmI think he goes toe to toe with Trump and that excites the heck out of the base
I dunno, I get the feeling that you don't get to talk to very many people in that base. It seems to me that, to a large fraction of them, Trump is just a symptom of a systemic problem, and they view D centrists as just different symptoms of the same problem. Many will stay home if Bloomberg is the nominee. More importantly, these folks are usually the ones doing the election grunt work: phone banks, door-to-door, etc. They MIGHT show up for Biden if he picks the right VP. But Bloomberg is inherently a class traitor and so has a much tougher road to hoe.
That's fair, I probably don't hang out much with the furthest left of that base, though I do know plenty of ribbed rock Dems, never voted for an R types.

Now, "class traitor"...I doubt many actually think that about him, but, hey, cradle and PB and tech keep telling me awful whack job the 'left' is, so maybe they've been right all along?

Return to “POLITICS”