Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MolonLaxe

Re: Games Today

Post by MolonLaxe »

lacrossemwj wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:19 pm Any one have comments on Rider? Winning against Monmouth right now who’s traditionally a decent mid major. Their program is brand new, tiny roster, only s few kids per class with half transfers from low d1 or d3 programs.
I picked Rider because they had better stats.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:07 pm
NULax2 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:55 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm ASU up 3-1 in the 2nd. Looks like they are cracking Michigan’s defense a little bit.
ASU looking good. up 5 - 3 against UM at the half. free streaming

https://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university
UM's offense is painful to watch. I'm extremely underwhelmed. Talks of them being top 5 should end after tonight.
It never should have begun. Every year they are ranked higher than they should be.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Hey it was a good run. I pulled Michigan over Denver out of my ass. Maryland over Cuse was easy. This should’ve been easy as well but ASU choked giving up 3 in the last few minutes. And a stupid foul which gave Smith a FP goal with 1:20 left. Goalie made two saves in the last ten seconds. Michigan wins 10-9. I’m still taking the victory lap. I was almost right. 😁

All kidding aside. ASU blew that game. That’s gonna stick with them for a bit.
Attachments
IMG_9236 Small.jpeg
IMG_9236 Small.jpeg (20.8 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:32 pm
lacrossemwj wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:19 pm Any one have comments on Rider? Winning against Monmouth right now who’s traditionally a decent mid major. Their program is brand new, tiny roster, only s few kids per class with half transfers from low d1 or d3 programs.
I picked Rider because they had better stats.
I picked Rider as well. Felt the upset.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Evan Mager is a good coach and one to watch going forward imo
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:59 pm Hey it was a good run. I pulled Michigan over Denver out of my ass. Maryland over Cuse was easy. This should’ve been easy as well but ASU choked giving up 3 in the last few minutes. And a stupid foul which gave Smith a FP goal with 1:20 left. Goalie made two saves in the last ten seconds. Michigan wins 10-9. I’m still taking the victory lap. I was almost right. 😁

Should have taken the points!
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:59 pm Hey it was a good run. I pulled Michigan over Denver out of my ass. Maryland over Cuse was easy. This should’ve been easy as well but ASU choked giving up 3 in the last few minutes. And a stupid foul which gave Smith a FP goal with 1:20 left. Goalie made two saves in the last ten seconds. Michigan wins 10-9. I’m still taking the victory lap. I was almost right. 😁

Give Michigan some credit. Thats the type of win top teams find a way to get.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:18 pm

Should have taken the points!
Yep. But I was thisclose
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:37 pm

A close call like this at this stage of the season can actually be quite helpful. We'll see how they respond.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:32 am

A close call like this at this stage of the season can actually be quite helpful. We'll see how they respond.
Michigan was diced up fairly well. I think a higher powered offense will make it hard for them to win.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:32 am

They got a close call alright. That foul that gave smith the FP was iffy. Could’ve been a charge. She ran through two players outside the 12 that had established position. Could’ve gone either way. With 1min left I would’ve let them play.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:53 am
Kleizaster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 am Kinda interested in UMASS vs Holy cross. UMASS has played a tough schedule so far and are 0-2 but 2 very good losses to good teams. Hard to gauge how good they are after years of A10 domination
I’m going with UMASS by 5
I was surprised with UMASS score yesterday. While BC & Ivies are doing well, what has happened to other New England teams? UMASS and UCONN were the top 2 other teams last year and they 0-6. Fairfield was next last year and at least they are 3-1 after bad loss to Holy Cross. No other New England school was in top 50 last year. Is it the coaching or recruiting? Do the talented New England girls just want to leave the area? Are schools not vested in the sport? BC and Ivies excluded, seems New England teams haven’t been able to raise the level of play despite talented club and high school players.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

forthelaxofit wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:12 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 am Kinda interested in UMASS vs Holy cross. UMASS has played a tough schedule so far and are 0-2 but 2 very good losses to good teams. Hard to gauge how good they are after years of A10 domination
I was surprised with UMASS score yesterday. While BC & Ivies are doing well, what has happened to other New England teams? UMASS and UCONN were the top 2 other teams last year and they 0-6. Fairfield was next last year and at least they are 3-1 after bad loss to Holy Cross. No other New England school was in top 50 last year. Is it the coaching or recruiting? Do the talented New England girls just want to leave the area? Are schools not vested in the sport? BC and Ivies excluded, seems New England teams haven’t been able to raise the level of play despite talented club and high school players.
A few thoughts

1) Outside of Mass Elite and Grizzlies, girls club lax in the NE is pretty poor. And the best girls from those programs often want to go to top national schools.

2) A majority of Mass Elite players are prep school kids whose home is coast to coast so they don't necesarily have any affinity to the northeast

3) Lots of the prep school kids and Darien/New Canann kids are from families who are super focused on education. Often will choose NESCAC if they don't get offers from Ivies or high academic D1 (Duke/Stanford)
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

My daughter was recruited by all four this year. I would say the reason is mostly recruiting. None of them other than UConn did anything to wow my daughter to make her choose them compared to some of the other schools. I don’t think they have funds for wlax like other schools. It’s hard for these schools to get top talent when other schools are flying kids in giving them insane tours of their facilities and other schools has you eating at their cafeteria or McDonald’s on your dime. UConn gave the kids they wanted official visits. Took them to sporting games. Fed them. Insane facilities. So for them…..let’s just say Katie isn’t the warm and fuzzy type and I think that matters for A LOT of kids these days. (Kids are soft today). If Freddy was the HC of UConn my daughter would have committed there.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:33 pm
My daughter was recruited by all four this year. I would say the reason is mostly recruiting. None of them other than UConn did anything to wow my daughter to make her choose them compared to some of the other schools. I don’t think they have funds for wlax like other schools. It’s hard for these schools to get top talent when other schools are flying kids in giving them insane tours of their facilities and other schools has you eating at their cafeteria or McDonald’s on your dime. UConn gave the kids they wanted official visits. Took them to sporting games. Fed them. Insane facilities. So for them…..let’s just say Katie isn’t the warm and fuzzy type and I think that matters for A LOT of kids these days. (Kids are soft today). If Freddy was the HC of UConn my daughter would have committed there.
Interesting story from my 25. UConn reached out to her on 9/1. My daughter had a 20 minute facetime call with her on the 2nd or 3rd. Eventually was invited for a visit on a weekend towards the end of Sept.

Around mid-September, my daughter very professionally wrote the coach a note saying "thanks but no thanks" and she would be exploring other opportunities and didnt want to waste the coach's time. Apparently 20 minutes later, Katie called our clubs recruiting director with a F-bomb tirade saying that my daughter was making a massive mistake and she would never recruit another girl from our (top 10) club again. My guess is some recruiting bridges have been burned.

In her defense, I will say that on the initial call, the coach probably did as much or more homework than any other coach my 25 spoke with. She knew exactly what she liked about her game, what she needed to improve and how she could fit into the UConn system.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:01 pm
Interesting story from my 25. UConn reached out to her on 9/1. My daughter had a 20 minute facetime call with her on the 2nd or 3rd. Eventually was invited for a visit on a weekend towards the end of Sept.

Around mid-September, my daughter very professionally wrote the coach a note saying "thanks but no thanks" and she would be exploring other opportunities and didnt want to waste the coach's time. Apparently 20 minutes later, Katie called our clubs recruiting director with a F-bomb tirade saying that my daughter was making a massive mistake and she would never recruit another girl from our (top 10) club again. My guess is some recruiting bridges have been burned.

In her defense, I will say that on the initial call, the coach probably did as much or more homework than any other coach my 25 spoke with. She knew exactly what she liked about her game, what she needed to improve and how she could fit into the UConn system.
She ghosted a few 2025’s a know of and I’m seriously glad they didn’t go to UConn. :lol:
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:18 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:01 pm

She ghosted a few 2025’s a know of and I’m seriously glad they didn’t go to UConn. :lol:
I didn’t mean my post to trash Woods but if the shoe fits. I think the ghosting happens everywhere. But o stand by my point. The other three teams recruiting style was totally different than UConn. I think that has to do with their budget. How can you compete with teams that are willing to spend money. It’s hard.
Last edited by Relax77 on Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Wow. Back to today’s games. St Joes just doubled up Villanova. Nova fell off a shelf as well. Kudos to St Joes for the hard schedule for the first few games. They are gonna go up in their RPI rankings 20 pts this year.

Penn State about to hang another L in the loss column. So what’s the odds this is Doherty’s last year?
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:20 pm 1) Outside of Mass Elite and Grizzlies, girls club lax in the NE is pretty poor. And the best girls from those programs often want to go to top national schools.

2) A majority of Mass Elite players are prep school kids whose home is coast to coast so they don't necesarily have any affinity to the northeast

3) Lots of the prep school kids and Darien/New Canann kids are from families who are super focused on education. Often will choose NESCAC if they don't get offers from Ivies or high academic D1 (Duke/Stanford)
1) Oh, don't let the Laxachusetts or Gold Coast parents hear you say that, LOL. :lol:
2) Accurate - we know prep school girls from all over the country and many of them don't feel strong ties to New England.
3) Fair point, but I think another side of the coin is that players from Fairfield County and the prep schools are the ones whose parents went to NESCACs/Ivies themselves and can generally afford to pay full freight at those kinds of schools.

Looking at rosters for UConn, UMass, UVM, and UNH, most players are from the Northeast. There are a few prep school grads but most players are graduates of public or parochial high schools. I can see a New England flagship being appealing to a decent player who's a good student but isn't getting recruiting attention from the big name schools, and whose parents make too much for need-based aid but not enough be able to drop $90K+ per year to send their kid to Tufts or Dartmouth. They likely don't care so much that the red carpet isn't being rolled out by the school, because they're just not being pursued by the schools that can afford to roll out the red carpet.

Getting back to games! Speaking of two of those New England flagships, UConn finally has a win, 17-5 over UNH. I feel like New Hampshire was more successful under their previous HC.
Hello

Post by Hello »

UPenn vs Temple game was closer than I expected.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”