Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by Finster »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:12 pm Nice win! Kirst is just a freak. Buczek set up a murderous schedule.. out of conference having to play the Irish and Syracuse will be rough. Looking forward to seeing out the big red handle it. LGR!

Cornell’s schedule is off the charts difficult. Kudos to the coaches.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

A few thoughts on yesterday’s game:

While OSU has plenty of good players and is ferocious on ground balls, what they don’t have this year are players the caliber of Kirst and Long, which was the difference.

I’m quite impressed with Gilmartin’s rapid emergence as a key guy at short stick. And with Bozzi’s injury, he’s desperately needed.

As has been mentioned, early on our shorties were getting run by from the midfield. Whatever adjustment was made at halftime did the trick, as we were far more locked down the 2nd half.

I thought a key point was early in the 2nd half OSU had a man-up. Not only didn’t they get a SOG during the penalty, our defense forced a shot clock violation.

Knust has a solid game, and except for one errant pass that was picked off he did a nice job on the clear. Coming into the season I figured Tully was likely to be our starter given his HS career, but Knust has looked good so far.

Watching the broadcast I thought the PBP guy (DeGuzman?) has shown improvement from the season opener. He recognizes the players better than he did against Lehigh and follows the action well.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:39 am
masondixonlax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:19 am
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:12 pm Nice win! Kirst is just a freak. Buczek set up a murderous schedule.. out of conference having to play the Irish and Syracuse will be rough. Looking forward to seeing out the big red handle it. LGR!

Kirst > shellenberger

Hard no. Don’t get me wrong, Kirst is great, but Shellenberger is THE guy.
And, you, of course, are the ultimate arbiter. :roll:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

laxjuris wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:14 amKnust has a solid game, and except for one errant pass that was picked off he did a nice job on the clear. Coming into the season I figured Tully was likely to be our starter given his HS career, but Knust has looked good so far.
Watching Knust in relief last season, I thought he should have been the starter then. (Of course this opinion is based solely on watching games on the teevee, and is worth exactly what you paid for it.)
laxjuris wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:14 amWatching the broadcast I thought the PBP guy (DeGuzman?) has shown improvement from the season opener. He recognizes the players better than he did against Lehigh and follows the action well.
Yes, huge improvement. I was wondering if it was even the same guy. Kudos to him for stepping it up.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I've definitely been impressed with Knust as a shot stopper. Seems exceptionally quick. And strong on low shots.
As I have previously mentioned, however, he's averaged about one poor clearing pass turnover per game, at times in less than timely circumstances. Yesterday, he threw one long clearing pass that was intercepted, but two others that were it not for Exceptional plays by Long and Kirst would have been intercepted or resulted in turnovers. Given sub-50% FO's, Cornell's margin against top opponenents is too thin to afford this.
He also threw several long clears past mid-field that while not dicey, had so much "air" underneath them (too looped), they looked like defenders might chase them down.
I was sitting on the 45 yard line and more often than not, I thought a clearing middie was wide open in the midde of the field, just short of midfield.
That's the guy you want him to hit, but the window for doing so is finite, it's pretty tight. IMO Knust should be making this his first read.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Highlights: Cornell Men's Lacrosse vs Ohio State - 3/2/2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZbCEPkbVk
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I agree that Knust throws a few too many "adventurous" long passes. I'm hoping his judgment on these improves with game experience.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:42 pm I agree that Knust throws a few too many "adventurous" long passes. I'm hoping his judgment on these improves with game experience.
These are hard to judge unless you pay attention to how much time they have before they have to take the ball past midfield. I haven't been able to do so. So, maybe Knust's adventurous attitude is closely related to timing.

Nonetheless, back in the day, we used to practice clears so that everyone knew where to go and where to throw. If the Big Red is practicing this, then there would be several options before hail Mary's.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU88a wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:56 pm Highlights: Cornell Men's Lacrosse vs Ohio State - 3/2/2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZbCEPkbVk
Here's a 14 minute highlight reel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz7Jt-SHVEc
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

If Cornell had not been screwed in Denver, we'd be looking at a top 3 ranking this week. A good showing against PSU will be important to solidifying at large prospects.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Wanted to offer a few thoughts on the team after 4 games. There are many positives of course - but a few key watch-outs if we are to make a big impact this year. The crazy thing is that if the refs hadn't single-handedly handed Denver the second game - Cornell would probably be 1 or 2 in the country at this point! Yikes! Not sure how I would feel about that - but the Denver game is likely to impact our at-large chances down the road. That is the sad part.

Overall: We are about where I thought we would be at this point. We have not yet played a complete game - although the first three quarters of Denver was pretty high level lacrosse. The defense/lsms/ssdms are still a work in progress and we will be moving players around all year. #5 is a huge loss. Not sure if Singer will play this week - and we may need to build some more depth at all phases of defense. I think our goalie play is excellent so far. Knust has great reflexes and stopping ability. Many have cited a few outlet passes as sketchy - but on the whole he is very good. I hate that it seems we clear only one way - culminating with a Knust lob pass into the top corner of the offensive half? That approach goes awry at least 1-2 times a game and I can't figure out how other teams do it aggressively in the middle of the field - and we don't? A good 10-man ride is also going to be a problem when it comes. Hopefully we are preparing for it now!

More importantly - we still have lsms and ssdms that simply get beaten by simple speed dodges. Almost all of themon occasion. Far too many times. Maybe I'm an old guy - but I never understand pressing out 30-40 yards from the goal on D? We do this constantly (esp at ssdm) and the offensive player runs right by our defender - causes a slide and rotation - and then we scramble. The upcoming teams are much better than the 4 we have seen - and we will pay for this. It cost us the Michigan game last year - we pressed out to the end line with approx 10 seconds on shot clock and created offense where there was none!

FOGO is obviously an area of concern. The loss of 20 was a heartbreaker. Psyllos is a gamer - plays very hard and is great off the ground. We simply need more from 28 - competitive on the clamp but just a step behind everyone if the ball is on the ground. And our wing play was poor this weekend. Now we were pushed many times (with no calls) that resulted in turnovers - but still we lack "feel" in our wing play. Happy to see 27 on the wing at one point. I shudder to say this - but in a huge spot we should probably have 1 and 15 on the wings. I know it won't happen - but they are our two best GB players along with 45.

Offense has been good - maybe very good - but honestly I think this group can do even more. Man up is still not right - not sure why. I think we still need a tweak to the personnel and the 3-3 has to go. Need rotation and for the defense to have to turn their heads. We don't have a bomber up top so need a better scheme. The first mid line has been great. All of them are match up problems and each has had at least one monster game. 27 does well when he shoots on the move from high to low. Has to change planes. He is still a big match up problem and if he gets even half a step he can dominate. 51 and 31 are able to have big games at any moment - but have been smart to take what the game allows. The second mid line is still a work in progress. For my money - we need 2 to get his mojo back to be a great team. He is close and needs space and touches. Let's not forget his game winners last year and his physical tools. Others are 18, 42, 29 and 16. All are nice players - and all should continue to get reps - but would love to see 16 get some more runs. I also believe that 30 may return soon - and if the scrimmages are any indication he can break ankles. He may get some runs at mid as it doesn't really matter how he gets on the field.

Attack has been outstanding. No need for a detailed break down here. 15 and 1 are simply high end players that make things go. And I personally think they haven't shot well yet this year! 40 has been an excellent addition. He only draws a shorty sadly - but that is the state of the game. As long as he shoots well and doesn't try to do too much - he will have a great year. As noted, 30 will return and when he does he needs some field time. Can't have enough top-level dodgers that break down defenses. He is lightning fast and will play. And our riding has been very effective - again 1 and 15 know how to press at the right times.

The competition gets extremely difficult now. Defense needs to be better - just can't give 7-10 yard shots on goal with no pressure. 15 will start to see really high level defenders and the slides will come even faster. FOGOs get better and need better wing play. But it is a great challenge and the team is talented. Love the passion on this board - some very well seasoned posters that know the game!!! Keep them coming!!

LFGBR!!!!!

Velvet Fog
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks for a thoughtful and thorough analysis, VF! I have also been impressed with #40. He's not previously been a "headliner" for the Big Red. #51 certainly has done justice to his jersey number, having put up 10 goals in four games as a middle.

My only other comment (and it's simply a general lacrosse comment, not one about our goalie). I have noticed this year that outlet passes from young goalies, generally, have become longer and more aggressively optimistic. First, I think that it speaks to improved stick technology and training that keepers can hurl a ball such distances with general accuracy. Second, I'm pretty sure that such clearing passes are planned in practice. That said, I do agree with posters who have noted that sometimes this type of passing creates unnecessary turnover risk.
semsox

Post by semsox »

File under be careful what you wish for, but for any concerns about Knust being a little loose in his passing, Terry Foy's write-up about Matt Tully during his incoming freshman series made it sound like Tully would be significantly more aggressive with his handling/clearing/passing:
Tully is also extremely active outside of the crease (a trend among goalies in the Class of 2023), as evidenced by the goal and assist he registered last spring. In front of IL scouts in Nobles’ season-opening loss to McDonogh (Md.), Tully topped 20 saves but, more impressively, he intercepted two passes, carried the ball across the midline on multiple clearing attempts and, on one occasion, drew a slash in the offensive zone.

“Yeah, I like to be active, try to make plays outside of the cage,” Tully says.

For myself, I'm enjoying the aggressiveness and haven't had much of an issue with Knust's passing. Honestly it's a shame that G is the one position where we can't maximize the talent by having both players on the field. While I'd like to see more of Tully given his pedigree, I hope it's earned on the field, and Knust has been keeping him at bay thus far.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Great analysis, VF.

I've made two comments.
Velvet.Fog wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:52 pm ... I also believe that 30 may return soon - and if the scrimmages are any indication he can break ankles. He may get some runs at mid as it doesn't really matter how he gets on the field.

Attack has been outstanding. No need for a detailed break down here. 15 and 1 are simply high end players that make things go. And I personally think they haven't shot well yet this year! 40 has been an excellent addition. He only draws a shorty sadly - but that is the state of the game. As long as he shoots well and doesn't try to do too much - he will have a great year. As noted, 30 will return and when he does he needs some field time. Can't have enough top-level dodgers that break down defenses. He is lightning fast and will play. And our riding has been very effective - again 1 and 15 know how to press at the right times.
I too have been impressed by 30 (Goldstein). I can see him and 40 (Caddigan) using picks to switch between attack and midfield. This would be a headache for any team using man-to-man defense. But watch out for PSU's zone defense. (I'm sure the coaches are spending time this week focusing on breaking down zone defenses.)

BTW, you also say:
Velvet.Fog wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:52 pm I never understand pressing out 30-40 yards from the goal on D? We do this constantly (esp at ssdm) and the offensive player runs right by our defender - causes a slide and rotation - and then we scramble.
I think this results from over-reliance on man-to-man defense. Each of our SSDMs is afraid of losing their man. Maybe, as the season progresses, JS will work in some switching schemes and just cede the long shots from 30+ yards out.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Ezra & VF

RE: Pressing Out
This is an issue I've wondered about for years.
Typically, Cornell's short sticks have matched up/picked up quite a bit further than I prefer. In fact, during the last few years I've figuratively scratched my head numerus times, wondering 'why the hell' so and so is picking his man up so far out. Needless to say, the further you press out and the closer you get to a dodger, the easier it is for him to run by you.

*Note however - pressing out and matching up as far out as mid-field aren't necessarily the same thing.
IMO, pressing out a more modest distance than within 5-10 yards from mid-field is a good thing. It can be disruptive and make things more difficult for the opposing to team to run its offense from where it wants to (closer to the goal). It's not a lot different than in hoops - that is, on defense, you certainly don't want to let the offense run its sets from the top of the key; matching up "way out" can allow you to overplay wings beyond shooting range and jump passing lanes.
So, in lacrosse, I'm an advocate of pressing out, but certainly not as far as some of Cornell's shorties do and have done in the recent past. My guess is that what we're seeing now is a function of Coach Stevens' philosophy. IMO, regardless of philosophy, how far out one matches up needs to be a function of the speed & quickness of the short sticks on the field. For example, I'd give a longer leash to a Bozzi or a Box, than I would to Smith...or even Davis.

PS - I read a few posts on the Yale thread after the Penn State game. There were conflicting thoughts - one guy wrote that Penn State went zone and that stifled Yale, and another wrote words to the effect, "no way was PSU in a zone." Regardless, I'm sure the boys will be prepared.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Great comments, VF, most of which I agree with. I am also looking forward to seeing Goldstein on the field. He has a great change of direction, plays with both hands and is very quick for the first several yards. However, his long speed is not as great, and I don't see him as a midfielder.

Both man up and man down need improvement, although it looked like we made some progress on the former. On man up, I agree that we don't really have an outside bomber. Blake had a hard accurate shot, but to your point about Blake regaining all his prior form, he has rarely shot from outside. He did can one against OSU, so maybe that will get him going. Similarly, on his dodges, it looks like he is getting separation, but seems hesitant going to the cage, even more so than last year when he was still playing with a big brace. To me, this looks more like a mental thing than physical, and getting him going (regaining his mojo as VF called it) would go a long way toward a potent second line. Like VF, I'd like to see more of Nikolic. At Malvern, he did let the game come to him, but was aggressive when the team really needed him to be. More runs would help him shed some tentativeness and deference. By the way, on the outside bomber point, he may not be ready yet for prime time, but TJ Lamb has an enormous lefty step down and could be a candidate for man up before he sees a regular shift. LGR
coda

Post by coda »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:07 pm Ezra & VF

RE: Pressing Out
This is an issue I've wondered about for years.
Typically, Cornell's short sticks have matched up/picked up quite a bit further than I prefer. In fact, during the last few years I've figuratively scratched my head numerus times, wondering 'why the hell' so and so is picking his man up so far out. Needless to say, the further you press out and the closer you get to a dodger, the easier it is for him to run by you.

*Note however - pressing out and matching up as far out as mid-field aren't necessarily the same thing.
IMO, pressing out a more modest distance than within 5-10 yards from mid-field is a good thing. It can be disruptive and make things more difficult for the opposing to team to run its offense from where it wants to (closer to the goal). It's not a lot different than in hoops - that is, on defense, you certainly don't want to let the offense run its sets from the top of the key; matching up "way out" can allow you to overplay wings beyond shooting range and jump passing lanes.
So, in lacrosse, I'm an advocate of pressing out, but certainly not as far as some of Cornell's shorties do and have done in the recent past. My guess is that what we're seeing now is a function of Coach Stevens' philosophy. IMO, regardless of philosophy, how far out one matches up needs to be a function of the speed & quickness of the short sticks on the field. For example, I'd give a longer leash to a Bozzi or a Box, than I would to Smith...or even Davis.

PS - I read a few posts on the Yale thread after the Penn State game. There were conflicting thoughts - one guy wrote that Penn State went zone and that stifled Yale, and another wrote words to the effect, "no way was PSU in a zone." Regardless, I'm sure the boys will be prepared.
It really just comes down to the individual match up. If you are athletically superior, you should win a lot more than you lose. If you are getting cooked, you need to back off immediately. You really need to win 75% of the time for it to be effective, because 25% of the time its a 6 on 5. No issues with anyone starting out testing the offense, as long as, you can admit that you were wrong.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Ezra White wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:17 pm Great analysis, VF.

I've made two comments.
Velvet.Fog wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:52 pm ... I also believe that 30 may return soon - and if the scrimmages are any indication he can break ankles. He may get some runs at mid as it doesn't really matter how he gets on the field.

I too have been impressed by 30 (Goldstein). I can see him and 40 (Caddigan) using picks to switch between attack and midfield. This would be a headache for any team using man-to-man defense. But watch out for PSU's zone defense. (I'm sure the coaches are spending time this week focusing on breaking down zone defenses.)

BTW, you also say:
Velvet.Fog wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:52 pm I never understand pressing out 30-40 yards from the goal on D? We do this constantly (esp at ssdm) and the offensive player runs right by our defender - causes a slide and rotation - and then we scramble.
I think this results from over-reliance on man-to-man defense. Each of our SSDMs is afraid of losing their man. Maybe, as the season progresses, JS will work in some switching schemes and just cede the long shots from 30+ yards out.
I just looked up Goldstein on the Cornell web page. Is this Cornell great, Tim Goldstein's son? His bio said he is the son of Tim Goldstein. If it is the same as "The Tim Goldstein" - shame on the SID. Maybe you should let people know how great his dad was!!
another fan

Post by another fan »

Yes, he is Tim's son.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”