THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:34 am
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 am ANd, not seeing a 7 game losing streak during the 2018 season. It doesn't exist.
Please read closely before posting. I was very clearly talking about OakSt's Tar Heels, not Towson.
Ok.......but strange UNC didn't make the playoffs. Must have had a great SOS and big wins over Hopkins, etc. Besides the Hofstra drubbing, all those other loses were pretty close. Not like the Blue Jays 9 goal loss this past weekend.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:43 am
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 am ANd, not seeing a 7 game losing streak during the 2018 season. It doesn't exist.
Please read closely before posting. I was very clearly talking about OakSt's Tar Heels, not Towson.
Ok.......but strange UNC didn't make the playoffs. Must have had a great SOS and big wins over Hopkins, etc. Besides the Hofstra drubbing, all those other loses were pretty close. Not like the Blue Jays 9 goal loss this past weekend.
How about all of those close wins to balance it out. 2018 UNC was 7-7 with a 0 goal differential on the year. They were the definition of average.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Hawkeye wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:28 am
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:43 am
How about all of those close wins to balance it out. 2018 UNC was 7-7 with a 0 goal differential on the year. They were the definition of average.
Close wins and being "average" didn't stop Hopkins from getting an invite in 2016. or 2017.

Because, as I always have repeated, in the past 4-6 years.....besides a handful of teams........you better bring your A game when it comes to playing.
The Terps dropped UMBC from the schedule, because why? exactly (to far to travel )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

RunRussell - I find your analysis riveting. Keep up the great work
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 am
The Terps dropped UMBC from the schedule, because why? exactly (to far to travel )
The Terps dropped UMBC from their schedule, the year they joined the Big Ten. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Boy - fanlax is certainly an improvement over laxpower - it only took less than 30 pages to get to:
- too many Hopkins games on TV
- Hopkins schedule - despite the fact that Hopkins sucks - apparently they should play every team in the country
- the 2016/17 NCAA invites

I am slightly more interested in the outcome tomorrow. It is certainly a different world thinking about driving to a Hopkins game where a comfortable Blue Jay win seems an impossibility, an opposing rout is not out of the question by any means and we could be in moral victory territory. "Oh, please 51 - how dare you? Johns Hopkins will never stand for moral victories! Yeah? Just wait for the posts if the Hounds get by on 3 or fewer goals. There will be many opinions about how close this team is, how they didn't give up blah blah blah and the reality is they will be 0-2 and headed for a 3 game away stretch where they will play a team that has their number, a team that has a first team AA that won't disappear (if you can't stop Brendan Sunday please explain how you will stop Sowers), and a team that might be wounded in its own right playing in maybe the most distinct home field advantage there is - last year notwithstanding.

Possessions are the key - they are always the key. If face-offs go poorly and if observers are correct that the Hopkins offense can get pushed around then tomorrow will go very poorly. You could have let the Hopkins offense out there by themselves the last part of the game at Ridley last year and they couldn't have gotten to double digits. They got mauled at every end of the field. I'm not looking at the stats but memory serves that Loyola caused some unbelievable number of turnovers and Hopkins had 20+ total? If anything like that happens we will be replaying the Towson game for Good news.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You forgot to mention Pat Spenser.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

oh i didn't forget him - he's the best player in the country in all likelihood - Sowers & Teat maybe being the other two candidates. I was just pointing out the most obvious obstacle to defeating Princeton as the second team in the 3 game road trip. It's just weird - usually there's all sorts of posts about what Hopkins needs to do, which opposing players Hopkins needs to stop or exploit etc. etc. - this has the feeling of being led to the electric chair.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

First Battle of Charles Street for me today....What should I expect?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:29 am oh i didn't forget him - he's the best player in the country in all likelihood - Sowers & Teat maybe being the other two candidates. I was just pointing out the most obvious obstacle to defeating Princeton as the second team in the 3 game road trip. It's just weird - usually there's all sorts of posts about what Hopkins needs to do, which opposing players Hopkins needs to stop or exploit etc. etc. - this has the feeling of being led to the electric chair.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:35 am First Battle of Charles Street for me today....What should I expect?
If you are referring to the crowd/experience - expect a great place to watch a game and with the weather supposed to be relatively nice - partly cloudy and 45 - expect alot of Green in the stands. They travel well to begin with and they have enthusiasm about their Top 5 ranked team. I will be interested - given the crickets chirping from the Cordish Center and their fans - how many students and Hopkins supporters there will be. It is not out of the question there will be more dogs than birds.

As far as the game - well last year Spencer chipped in 1 and 3 and the game was close at halftime and then it wasn't. 22 turnovers doomed Hopkins. The Caused Turnovers were 13-3 in favor of the Hounds. Moreland actually won 14-20 face-offs and scored one of Hopkins' goals. The vaunted Hopkins EMO went 0-5. Very, very little went right that day and I believe the consensus was almost exactly the same as last Saturday. The opposing team bullied Johns Hopkins and Hopkins couldn't respond. I think you will know fairly early - even if the score is close - what will happen when 60 game minutes go by. If Hopkins is struggling to get its act together against the aggressive Loyola defense - it is only a matter of time. If they are creating opportunities and not turning the ball over - maybe there's a chance.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Your going to see a good effort from Hopkins. Things snowballed last week. Loyola played a team that doesn’t play a lot of defense last week. You would think the intensity level will be ramped up today for the home team
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Specifically posting this for one person here:
8E49FC5C-2A08-4E61-B19A-A7E9C78070EE.jpeg
8E49FC5C-2A08-4E61-B19A-A7E9C78070EE.jpeg (143.89 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Cross posting this from the Navy thread:

Yay, 2-0 is better than 0-1.

Down at The Republic of Eastport last night with the Wombatress on V-Day+1.

Not sure if it was the 64 F degree weather or what, but I saw quite a few things on display:

1) short skirts
2) cleavage
3) bare midriffs
4) pierced belly button jewelry

Damn. It’s really difficult to concentrate when I have to keep thinking “Avert the eyes! Avert the eyes!”

I’ll be thinking that while watching lacrosse this afternoon too.

Is LL around?

W

Anyway, cousin Groundhog was at least partially right - spring bosoms blossomed early this year.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Been to Adroit Theory several times -out there in the middle of nowhere near Purcellville, VA. Very heavy metal vibe - doing some interesting and tasty things with IPAs and darker beers. Only bone I would pick is when they sell it retail they ask "why pay less?" Norm's Beer and Wine (shout out - if you are in or near Tysons Corner - go - best beer shop you can think of - pretty tiny place with beer everywhere) carries alot of their bombers - $13-14 for 500 mls - no thanks
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Carc cut Petro's hair for a new segment he's doing for ESPN. Not sure if this is airing today during the game or at a later date. They also filmed some kind of season preview in the Cordish Center which I think will air next week.

https://twitter.com/paulcarcaterra/stat ... 8802365445

2017 Duke debacle not withstanding the Jays almost always play better at home, and coming off that embarrassing loss you would think (hope?) that they are excited, focused, and play with a lot of energy. Loyola's aggressive D poses almost as much of a problem as does Spencer. That said, they graduated a couple of the defenders who gave us fits last year, namely Foster Huggins. If faceoffs are in the realm of 40-50% I suspect it'll be a game.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

No bueno
laxalife

Post by laxalife »

Getting ugly again. Still trouble with outside shots
primitiveskills

Perpetually confused on D. Why not just play straight-up?
primitiveskills

Ball needs to be in Epstein's stick as much as possible

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”