Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:20 pm TLD. I don’t. It’s up to them but if it were me I would require so ethical v like an AI or minimum standard. Also if it were me I would have a variance to median measure. In general I doubt Hopkins treat lax players differently from anyone else.
It's a simple question of after the scotus ruling on monday if we were an independent would PM be able to do whatever he wanted now (which is probably to use the schools financial and fundraising muscle to go to kids he wants and say we'll pick up your grad school tab or part of it or pay for your summer internship costs) vs because we're in the big ten we have to follow whatever rules iowa/nebraska and the rest of the conference presidents want to do (which is probably to minimize costs for non revenue sports like lacrosse by not allowing coaches to offer these newly allowed benefits).
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Cole Williams got picked up by the PLL Waterdogs. I guess all that lobbying worked. Good timing for him as the games are at Homewood this weekend. Also the last time out for KH18. Always a nice spotlight for the program when they play games at the wood.

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 6437454850

https://twitter.com/PaulRabil/status/14 ... 6055883780

06—how many times are you going to say the same thing? We're not an independent anymore. You're the only person still talking about this. It's time to move on.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

TLD. My understanding is the conference sets the rules on compensation but different conferences can have different rule sets.

The NCAA has guidance to prevent schools from using financial aid as extra schollies. At this point it seems there are a lot of unanswered questions. SCOTUS didn’t go quite as far as many think but the direction seems clear.

If a school promises to provide say a year of grad school free what happens if they can’t qualify for admission but graduated.

If big state uni promises to use the player’s image to sell jerseys etc and to market it aggressively or a handful of players will it produce income? I haven’t spent any time on it but I can imagine all kinds of scenarios
a fan

Post by a fan »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:11 pm If big state uni promises to use the player’s image to sell jerseys etc and to market it aggressively or a handful of players will it produce income? I haven’t spent any time on it but I can imagine all kinds of scenarios
Can you imagine students availing themselves of the American free market that's enriching everyone else but them?

Charging what the free market will bear?! Perish the thought!

What's next? Taxing these "non-profit" Universities like every other business that has managers that are pulling down six and seven figures?

It's Communism, I tells ya! :lol: ;)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CrazyPeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 pm and now for some not so great news....Evan Zinn has entered the transfer portal.
Very disappointing. I think Zinn could have played anywhere on the field … SSDM, wings on faceoffs, spot duty on a middie line.

Unfortunate that things didn’t work out for him at Hopkins. Best wishes to the young man.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-zinn was a bust who through 2 staffs, 3 seasons, and unlimited playing time couldn't pull through. One of the bigger disappointments of the petro era that frees up ssdm minutes. he has 2 years left, we'll see if a third staff can unlock him. same w/baskin at nova.
-NIL isn't really a factor for us right now because we don't have any players who people would really want. 15 years ago I'm sure the bookstore would have done well w/harrison, rabil, schwartzman, watson etc.
-16, the ruling would be an advantage if we were an independent as we are in the b1g and a private school w/no other d1 programs we are 1vs15 if you include whatever say notre dame hockey has in rosemonts conversations.
Homer

Post by Homer »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:22 pm It's a simple question of after the scotus ruling on monday if we were an independent would PM be able to do whatever he wanted now
He would be able to offer education-related benefits to any FBS football or D1 basketball players he liked.

IMO the fact that the new court-ordered rules don't apply to any other sports or divisions is a bigger obstacle than Big Ten membership to PM making it rain on the recruiting trail.
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:59 am -16, the ruling would be an advantage if we were an independent as we are in the b1g and a private school w/no other d1 programs we are 1vs15 if you include whatever say notre dame hockey has in rosemonts conversations.
06, let's clear something up. JHU isn't "in" the B1G. It's a single-sport affiliate, an arms-length contractual arrangement that's quite common across college sports and has no impact on the conference's internal governance. I'd be stunned if Hopkins were getting any consideration at all in discussions of overall conference policy, which is properly set by and for the actual full members.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Homer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:53 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:22 pm It's a simple question of after the scotus ruling on monday if we were an independent would PM be able to do whatever he wanted now
He would be able to offer education-related benefits to any FBS football or D1 basketball players he liked.

IMO the fact that the new court-ordered rules don't apply to any other sports or divisions is a bigger obstacle than Big Ten membership to PM making it rain on the recruiting trail.
Based on the ruling though, isn't any sport that generates some revenue potentially open for lawsuits now? The lax Final Four makes money so potentially doesn't that open up Lax to antitrust actions? Is it possible that a student/athlete could challenge the scholarship rules for other sports now if he can show that the sport generates some revenue for the colleges or NCAA?
The other side of the coin is that after the NCAA got hammered they are less likely to want to see any more cases go up to the High Court.
What's your take on this?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I think that, from its inception, the purpose of the NCAA was to monopolize intercollegiate sports, perhaps with good intentions, given the number of deaths in the early years of football.

Big-time football realized they were in the driver's seat some years ago, and today they can choose to accept whatever NCAA oversight they desire, so today D-I Men's Basketball, especially the NCAA tournament, is the cash cow that drives everything.

The way I read summaries of the SCOTUS ruling is that, unless the Court's composition changes, the NCAA should be terrified of any sequel. Nobody questions that they act in restraint of trade, and it seems (again, only based on summaries), the Court is not inclined to give them a pass on the theory that the NCAA rules are, on net, beneficial to top athletes in revenue sports.

As far as lacrosse is concerned, I would be less concerned. Maybe some schools will seek some kind of waiver before selling replica jerseys with a player's name on the back. But, I think the NCAA could argue that their tournament is no longer a net revenue generator, if it ever was, especially by including the D-II and D-III and women's brackets.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seems to me that we should see active college players at least be able to market themselves for coaching kids, including their picture in a college uniform, their bona fides as players, etc.

It's been rather ridiculous that doing so has been an NCAA violation.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hey guys there’s an entire thread devoted to the SCOTUS ruling
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:59 am -zinn was a bust who through 2 staffs, 3 seasons, and unlimited playing time couldn't pull through. One of the bigger disappointments of the petro era that frees up ssdm minutes. he has 2 years left, we'll see if a third staff can unlock him. same w/baskin at nova.
Nice. :?

Anyway, seems like Harrison Bardwell, Cornell SSDM who is on the transfer portal, would be a good fit for the Blue Jays. He’s experienced, fast, and good on groundballs. Plus, a former team captain from a good high school (Lawrenceville).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Homer

Post by Homer »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:53 am Based on the ruling though, isn't any sport that generates some revenue potentially open for lawsuits now? The lax Final Four makes money so potentially doesn't that open up Lax to antitrust actions? Is it possible that a student/athlete could challenge the scholarship rules for other sports now if he can show that the sport generates some revenue for the colleges or NCAA?
The other side of the coin is that after the NCAA got hammered they are less likely to want to see any more cases go up to the High Court.
What's your take on this?
In principle, an athlete in another sport could certainly bring that case. You don't even necessarily need the revenue issue to create an antitrust hook IMO: there can be illegal price-fixing in a labor market regardless of whether the labor in question is generating economic value for the employer or is purely a consumption good.

But in practice, I think it'd be an extremely hard slog for e.g. a lax player to convince a judge that the NCAA's restrictions as to lacrosse were substantially suppressing compensation in that sport relative to what schools would otherwise be willing to pay.

(And relatively easy for the NCAA to argue the opposite: that fixing scholarship limits at a level within most member schools' means results in more non-revenue programs and more aggregate benefits to SA's than would likely exist in a more deregulated environment.)

I do agree with your larger points, though: that Monday's decision opens the way for far more extensive changes down the line, and that the NCAA would be much better off shaping those changes proactively rather than continuing to defend a clearly weakened litigating position. I was responding just to the notion that Milliman could be offering expanded benefits to recruits today if Hopkins were freed from B1G rules. Which is clearly false.

(I'll leave this on the Hop thread to close that particular circle, but cross-post to the SCOTUS thread in case anybody wants to continue the conversation there.)
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The lax FF once did turn a profit. I doubt it does anymore. Hard to imagine with the small attendance numbers. It would be interesting to see the numbers
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:13 am Hey guys there’s an entire thread devoted to the SCOTUS ruling
I took my post there.
GSP

Post by GSP »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:25 pm
CrazyPeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 pm and now for some not so great news....Evan Zinn has entered the transfer portal.
Very disappointing. I think Zinn could have played anywhere on the field … SSDM, wings on faceoffs, spot duty on a middie line.

Unfortunate that things didn’t work out for him at Hopkins. Best wishes to the young man.

DocBarrister
Since Zinn did not wish to continue his career playing lacrosse in Division III, he thought it best to transfer to a school that will be playing in Division 1 in 2022, so his transfer makes perfect sense.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

GSP wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 pm

DocBarrister
Since Zinn did not wish to continue his career playing lacrosse in Division III, he thought it best to transfer to a school that will be playing in Division 1 in 2022, so his transfer makes perfect sense.
huh? can you explain? hop is not division 3 in lacrosse.

i'm sure if you fully explain your post, we'll all get it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:17 pm

DocBarrister
huh? can you explain? hop is not division 3 in lacrosse.

i'm sure if you fully explain your post, we'll all get it.
He’s just trollin’. He’s the worst kind of troll … dull and unimaginative.

Seriously, GSP … you need to up your game or we’re gonna have to “recommend” that you enter the transfer portal to a new lacrosse forum. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

DocBarrister
As Bugs Bunny said "What a maroon!" :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm The lax FF once did turn a profit. I doubt it does anymore. Hard to imagine with the small attendance numbers. It would be interesting to see the numbers
-If NIL existed 15 years ago Harrison could've made some decent $, Rabil of course.
-the roster has not been updated, but w/zinns departure martin and lilly become increasingly important players.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”