Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
get it to x

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by get it to x »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:13 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:51 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:06 am Is that from the Donner party cookbook?
I look at that dish and think worm pie. Yuck.
I had the same thought. But my kids like carrots and Lima beans and are carnivores at heart. I don’t love sour cream myself-think theres a solution that doesn’t involved any whit cream based item beyond a form of milk? I’m weird don’t like ranch, blue cheese dressing (hard/crumbly is my jam though), sour cream. I’m sure it’s based on repressed memories from my childhood days in the confessional booth with a friendly priest but can’t otherwise explain it.
Blue Cheese is proof that cheese is a living thing. It has it's own little microbial world.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Just be sure you wrap it in a fresh piece of plastic wrap every time you use it.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:11 pm Just be sure you wrap it in a fresh piece of plastic wrap every time you use it.
I’m a Saran Wrap king.

And that’s before I try dental damns like this…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I2v7jlIBL1A
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

get it to x wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:11 pm Just be sure you wrap it in a fresh piece of plastic wrap every time you use it.
Actually, plastic wrap is about the worst thing you can use to wrap real cheese. Cheese is a living thing. It needs to breathe. Plastic will promote sweating and encourage bad bacteria and an unpleasant plastic smell. If you don’t have parchment paper in your kitchen then GET OUT! PP or wax paper is the way to go. I use lightly waxed deli sheets as they are the perfect size and weight. You’ll also want to store your cheeses in least cold area of fridge. For me that in the northernmost part, the furthest away from the freezer and/or ice machine.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Parchment paper is so expensive but now I know. Thanks.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:38 pm Parchment paper is so expensive but now I know. Thanks.
If you know someone who has a Costco membership - at least near Thanksgiving/Christmas they usually have a two pack of large rolls for a fairly reasonable price. For me, who uses it when baking to avoid washing the cookie sheets, the pair last a couple of years...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:05 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:38 pm Parchment paper is so expensive but now I know. Thanks.
If you know someone who has a Costco membership - at least near Thanksgiving/Christmas they usually have a two pack of large rolls for a fairly reasonable price. For me, who uses it when baking to avoid washing the cookie sheets, the pair last a couple of years...
I know cooks will laugh at me but I often use foil and cooking spray a lot.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:51 am
Actually, plastic wrap is about the worst thing you can use to wrap real cheese. Cheese is a living thing. It needs to breathe. Plastic will promote sweating and encourage bad bacteria and an unpleasant plastic smell. If you don’t have parchment paper in your kitchen then GET OUT! PP or wax paper is the way to go. I use lightly waxed deli sheets as they are the perfect size and weight. You’ll also want to store your cheeses in least cold area of fridge. For me that in the northernmost part, the furthest away from the freezer and/or ice machine.
Never had that problem with plastic wrap. I do use parchment paper in the kitchen. Lined a cookie sheet with it and baked some meatballs last night.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

get it to x wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:21 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:51 am
Never had that problem with plastic wrap. I do use parchment paper in the kitchen. Lined a cookie sheet with it and baked some meatballs last night.
Just to add context, I buy small pieces of cheese and eat them over several days, no longer than a week. If it's a tad bit wet, it spreads nicely on a cracker.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Haven't eaten kasha since I moved to Lake Wobegone over 35 years ago. Made myself a bowl and cannot believe how good it tastes or how much it fills you up:

https://www.food.com/recipe/kasha-buckw ... eal-268976

In truth, I had not been aware that it is sold at Target's. How could I have missed it all this time? Dunno but am sure glad I found out.

When I asked the store clerk about where I could find it, he said he had never heard of this before. I mentioned how versatile it is as a side dish (cooked with beef stock) or as breakfast cereal or as an addition to pancakes. He sounded intrigued, bought himself a box, and thanked me for recommending it.

GREAT stuff.

Last edited by Brooklyn on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

On the seventh day the gods of berries said, "Let there be mulberries", and mulberries there were....in abundance.
They're comin' boyz!! :D
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:28 pm Highly educational.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj2ZlqL-9Pk

I would give just about anything in this world to see Colonel Mulberry Sellers sing that ditty:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4028/4211 ... 1be7_b.jpg
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.thehungrytravelerblog.com/w ... edited.jpg

baked a fluffy whipped cream cheese cake and am doing my best to resist eating it all at once because it is so yummy :D

DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:03 pm Image
https://www.thehungrytravelerblog.com/w ... edited.jpg

baked a fluffy whipped cream cheese cake and am doing my best to resist eating it all at once because it is so yummy :D
That looks good, Brook.
Check this one out, no baking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KKzJ2v-90
DMac

Post by DMac »

Better plant yourselves some mulberry bushes/tress fellas, turns out the berries (really a fruit) are just the frosting on the cake.
Mulberry tea, anyone? Will be making some of this today. Might throw a little honey in there, got some strawberry mint growing all over the place, probably good with a little of that mixed in there too. Mulberries from the gods, leaves have all kinds of health benefits too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyKxIpVV8ag
https://www.organicfacts.net/mulberry-tree-leaf.html
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:25 am
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:03 pm https://www.thehungrytravelerblog.com/w ... edited.jpg

That looks good, Brook.
Check this one out, no baking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KKzJ2v-90

Looks good. But as with my no bake cheesecake, I would have added some sugar to the mix as it enhances the flavor of the cheese. Alternately, I would lace it with some melted caramel syrup for added flavor. There's just no end to the many varieties of this delightful treat. :)

DMac

Post by DMac »

Okay boyz, it's mulberry tea time, both hot and iced.
Was all ready to say it's not all that great but it's actually pretty good. Tastes like a mild green tea, would definitely be good with some honey in it. The iced made with the strawberry mint in it is pretty darn good, refreshing and a nice flavor. A new little something, I like it.
Edit: Added some honey to the hot tea, definitely the ticket. Tasty.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ very nice looking tea kettle pot 👍

I don't have afternoon tea too often but when I do, my sweetener is:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61d ... SX385_.jpg

Adds great flavor & sweetness.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:32 am Okay boyz, it's mulberry tea time, both hot and iced.
Was all ready to say it's not all that great but it's actually pretty good. Tastes like a mild green tea, would definitely be good with some honey in it. The iced made with the strawberry mint in it is pretty darn good, refreshing and a nice flavor. A new little something, I like it.
Edit: Added some honey to the hot tea, definitely the ticket. Tasty.
Mulberry tea is known to be an excellent antioxidant. How are you preparing the leaves? In normal tea preparation, the leaves are slightly crushed which breaks up the cells then dried. Do you do this or just dunk fresh leaves.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”