Syracuse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Syracuse

Post by Brownlax »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:03 pm
Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:52 pm
Fischer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:01 pm
HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:48 pm Rewatching some old games. Mashewske & Cheverie both injured themselves around the 50 yd line along the bench sideline. Coincidence or could there be dead spots in the field there? Or distracted from running along busy sidelines/cheering? Just some thoughts, miss seeing them both play and wishing them both luck in their recoveries.

Any news on Markey? She was out for the Virginia game but no post on the instagram if she is out.
Acl
Markey tore her ACL as well? That is crazy - I don't think any other NCAA team has had more ACL's then Cuse.
And I feel like we make this statement every year . It is mind boggling . So that’s 3? Not sure what chevarie injury is only heard lower body. Terrible !
I think Chevarie tore her acl as well. Crazy!!

The Cuse men play on the same field - I wonder what their history of acl’s is.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

HailMaryPass wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:48 pm Rewatching some old games. Mashewske & Cheverie both injured themselves around the 50 yd line along the bench sideline. Coincidence or could there be dead spots in the field there? Or distracted from running along busy sidelines/cheering? Just some thoughts, miss seeing them both play and wishing them both luck in their recoveries.

Any news on Markey? She was out for the Virginia game but no post on the instagram if she is out.
Acl
Markey tore her ACL as well? That is crazy - I don't think any other NCAA team has had more ACL's then Cuse.
And I feel like we make this statement every year . It is mind boggling . So that’s 3? Not sure what chevarie injury is only heard lower body. Terrible !
It’s five acls this season
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Fischer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:29 pm

Acl
No that’s not possible ! Who?
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:30 pm

Acl
No that’s not possible ! Who?
8/45/55. Abigail Lagos (Indy transfer)and the freshman goalie
2 last yr plus ward toe. 3 year before Kinda nuts
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Very interesting about Mashewske and Chevarie. Both were in almost exactly the same spot on the field, as you say. I remember that many years ago Michelle Tumolo tore her acl in almost the exact same spot. I assume that the turf was replaced in between these incidents.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

does Syracuse do all of their practices in the Carrier Dome or just games?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Acl
That has to be something in training or the physical turf. I can't believe that you can have 10 ACLs in 3 years without something other than bad luck.

Scott
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I put this in one of my earlier posts - but I am asking again:

Has the Syracuse Men's team experienced the same rate of ACL tears as the women have? If they are not similar it leads me to believe there is a difference in training for the two teams.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:40 pm I put this in one of my earlier posts - but I am asking again:

Has the Syracuse Men's team experienced the same rate of ACL tears as the women have? If they are not similar it leads me to believe there is a difference in training for the two teams.
Not necessarily. I believe that studies over the last several years have shown significant disparities in predisposition of women athletes to non-contact ACL injuries compared with men. I think the most accepted conclusion is that female athletes have less quad and hamstring strength, resulting in the joint instead of those muscles bearing the forces created by changes in direction. This finding has led to a greater emphasis on leg strength training for women. I do agree that the prevalence of ACL injuries among the Syracuse women's team is unlikely to be just a statistical anomaly.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LaxThoughts wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:25 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:40 pm I put this in one of my earlier posts - but I am asking again:

Not necessarily. I believe that studies over the last several years have shown significant disparities in predisposition of women athletes to non-contact ACL injuries compared with men. I think the most accepted conclusion is that female athletes have less quad and hamstring strength, resulting in the joint instead of those muscles bearing the forces created by changes in direction. This finding has led to a greater emphasis on leg strength training for women. I do agree that the prevalence of ACL injuries among the Syracuse women's team is unlikely to be just a statistical anomaly.
It's not that they have less strength, but the strength between the two muscle groups - which apply opposing forces - is often found to be significantly unequal. It's an imbalance. Studies have shown women to have significantly stronger quads relative to their hamstrings (actually this imbalance is seen outside of women too, just due to the nature of human movement patterns like running/kicking/sitting etc, but is more prevalent in female athletes). Both quads and hamstrings stabilize the knee. More importantly, your hamstrings are your brakes. As we all know, slowing/stopping/changing directions are all movements where ACL's are often torn. Training should not just be about making everything stronger, but also about maintaining a balance.

Hip mobility and strength as well as core strength should also be emphasized as it's all connected. The body is a compensation master.

It's not solely about strength either - no matter how strong muscles are, they can all be fatigued. Fatigue plays a huge role in all injury - not just ACL tears.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:46 pm

It's not that they have less strength, but the strength between the two muscle groups - which apply opposing forces - is often found to be significantly unequal. It's an imbalance. Studies have shown women to have significantly stronger quads relative to their hamstrings (actually this imbalance is seen outside of women too, just due to the nature of human movement patterns like running/kicking/sitting etc, but is more prevalent in female athletes). Both quads and hamstrings stabilize the knee. More importantly, your hamstrings are your brakes. As we all know, slowing/stopping/changing directions are all movements where ACL's are often torn. Training should not just be about making everything stronger, but also about maintaining a balance.

Hip mobility and strength as well as core strength should also be emphasized as it's all connected. The body is a compensation master.

It's not solely about strength either - no matter how strong muscles are, they can all be fatigued. Fatigue plays a huge role in all injury - not just ACL tears.
Well said...This is what I understand as well.
Bart

Post by Bart »

No 24 today?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bart wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:48 pmNo 24 today?
Think KT is choosing to err on the side of caution here (likely figured she could get
by without ET v Clemson). She got a little banged up in the last one, hand stepped
on and twisted ankle near the end of the game. "Lower body injury, day to day", the
norm for injury reports. I'd bet we'll see her v UNC.
2,643 in attendance at CNS for the game. Free parking, free admittance....CNS can
handle these games, no problem....pretty nice facility all in all.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:48 pm
Think KT is choosing to err on the side of caution here (likely figured she could get
by without ET v Clemson). She got a little banged up in the last one, hand stepped
on and twisted ankle near the end of the game. "Lower body injury, day to day", the
2,643 in attendance at CNS for the game. Free parking, free admittance....CNS can
It’s not the worst idea to take a page outta NBA and rest your best players once in a while in “easier” games .
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:26 pm
It’s not the worst idea to take a page outta NBA and rest your best players once in a while in “easier” games .
Easier? For a first year program I think they gave the undefeated Orange a good game Give them a couple of years
DMac

Post by DMac »

Fischer wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:42 pm
Easier? For a first year program I think they gave the undefeated Orange a good game Give them a couple of years
Clemson represented themselves well, played a pretty good game. When considering resting, or not chancing further injury to a key player, I don't see it as wrong to call the Clemson game "easier", particularly when UNC is on the horizon. From prior to the first draw to when the clock read zeros there really was never a question about which team was going to win this game (yes, even when it was 9-6), I think KT probably saw it that way too.
Last edited by DMac on Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:56 pm
Fischer wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:42 pm
Clemson represented themselves well, played a pretty good game. When considering resting, or not chancing further injury to a key player, I don't see it as wrong to call the Clemson game "easier" particularly when UNC is on the horizon. There really was never a question about which team was going to win this game (yes, even when it was 9-6).
Agreed on the resting and the potential outcome of the game. But they were actually more of a challenge than some seasoned teams cuse faced.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, Clemson came to play and gave it what they had, made Cuse work for it. Was a good experience for the Tigers.
Was glad to see the Cuse transfer Jimerson score one for Clemson...comes from a really nice family of laxers.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I think that you're reading this the wrong way. It's true that the women athletes are more prone to ACL injuries than men, but we shouldn't be measuring women to men. I think the question is, do SU men's laxers have more ACL injuries than the usual rate for men? It doesn't appear so.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Perhaps my favorite words from Our Nit-wit Wlaxnut....Treanor won't be a good coach because she lacks presence of command. I'm very impressed with the 29 year old HC. She's young but has gained some mighty good experience along the way, has been around some really good lacrosse people and it sure does appear as if she's putting that experience to good use and using it effectively. Love the way she interacts with her players, is into the game every minute and every play, and it certainly looks as if she has the respect of her players and they listen to her every word. Lacks presence of command my asz. I very much like her sidekick ,Kenzie too, this is a good duo....actually, good trio is more accurate cuz that Defliese gal aint bad either.
Compare that scenario to a 78 year old hoops coach who is old enough to be his player's great grandfather. How much can the kid from the hood in Jersey City relate to that guy? How the hell do you let that go on for as long as it did?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”