TV Announcers Consternation Station

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by youthathletics »

thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 am Given the new shot clock rules, and the ability to really run out a game with that last couple possessions, I think it may be interesting to implement: Under 2:00- keep it in the box and under 2:00- the shot clock gets turned off.
:?:
I do not like that. Putting angry players that are down, in a confined space, with 3 flag happy officials, will just create more controversy on "was that a good call or bad call" that decided the outcome of the game.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mike Corey does a good job. Did play-by-play for Hop-MSM on ESPN3 this week. He does a few games every year. Describes what's happening on the field clearly and concisely but knows how to be dramatic when the moment calls for it.

Quint was fine doing color commentary. I agree with the notion that he needs to be split from Carc. They both seem to do a better job when they're not on the same broadcast.

Really pumped for Ryan Boyle to do the Hop-Delaware game. I don't get why they don't use him more. He's so good.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:55 pm
thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 am Given the new shot clock rules, and the ability to really run out a game with that last couple possessions, I think it may be interesting to implement: Under 2:00- keep it in the box and under 2:00- the shot clock gets turned off.
I do not like that. Putting angry players that are down, in a confined space, with 3 flag happy officials, will just create more controversy on "was that a good call or bad call" that decided the outcome of the game.
Is that what happened at the end of the games for the past decade? I didn’t see that, but maybe you did.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:55 pm
Is that what happened at the end of the games for the past decade? I didn’t see that, but maybe you did.
In HS, I hate(d) it. I guess all I am really saying is the 80 or 60 clock solves the majority of the concerns. And essentially sets the tone the entire game that every possession matters. I just do not like adjusting rules and changing the field size in order to try and balance a timed portion of the game.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Fair enough!
:D
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

thought boyle, corey and starsia were good today. Corey has a big voice and boyle is focused, prepared and dilligent. ESPN should give Boyle bigger looks beyond lacrosse, he takes the job seriously, the voice works well and does his homework.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Watching the Yale-Cornell game. Anish, Carc and Quint need to cut out the Game of Thrones and haircut talk. It seem it is mostly Anish, but Carc should not work with guys that let him get off the lacrosse topic.

IMHO - Carc and Quint are knowledgeable and give good lacrosse analysis. But, the goofing jokes and New Haven pizza talk need to be removed from the TV broadcast. Are they really pulling in new lacrosse fans with this off topic chatter?
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:13 pm Watching the Yale-Cornell game. Anish, Carc and Quint need to cut out the Game of Thrones and haircut talk. It seem it is mostly Anish, but Carc should not work with guys that let him get off the lacrosse topic.

IMHO - Carc and Quint are knowledgeable and give good lacrosse analysis. But, the goofing jokes and New Haven pizza talk need to be removed from the TV broadcast. Are they really pulling in new lacrosse fans with this off topic chatter?
If you go back and watch some of the Final Four games on YouTube from the 90's and early 2000's when Quint worked with Leif Elsmo, he was much more on point and professional with his analysis. There was very little wandering down memory lane or discussions about the local restaurant scene. Working with Carc and Annish seems to bring the worst out of him. I personally miss Elsmo, I know that he caught a lot of flack from lax fans but he was far superior to Anish and Carc.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

There should never be more than 2 announcers. One is sufficient. The fastest game on two feet doesn't have time for conversation. Even the game Boyle and Zimmerman called was too talky. The UVA ND games was perfect. Bottom line, stop talking about anything that isn't happening at the moment on the field. Do you have to talk about the shot clock every game? No. Did I ever hear where a player was from during the ND UVA game, nope. Call the game; it's too beautiful to ignore.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Just watched the Hop-Delaware game, learned that Marr is the best shooter in college lacrosse.
Amazing how many bests there are, announcers really need to drop that line.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:35 pm There should never be more than 2 announcers. One is sufficient. The fastest game on two feet doesn't have time for conversation. Even the game Boyle and Zimmerman called was too talky. The UVA ND games was perfect. Bottom line, stop talking about anything that isn't happening at the moment on the field. Do you have to talk about the shot clock every game? No. Did I ever hear where a player was from during the ND UVA game, nope. Call the game; it's too beautiful to ignore.
I do like when Zimm talks about what will happen next and then even what the counter should be. A while back, I thought Coach Cottle stood alone as my favorite, but I think Zimm has upped his game this year.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

What game was Boyle on? Was Zimmerman on the same game?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

UDel Hopkins
Corey Boyle Zimm
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I really don't like to be negative, but after watching the ESPN special on Utah lacrosse I can't let this one go. Head Coach Brian Holman is sitting in the Utah locker room getting a haircut from Paul Carcatera surrounded by his assistant coaches for thirty minutes. Yes a haircut. It was so staged and uncomfortable I couldn't watch after twenty minutes. The poor assistant coaches who are all pro stars looked mortified to be there. It was brutal and just set lacrosse back ten years on the national landscape. Wow
DMac

Post by DMac »

+1000, this was absolutely awful!!!! Putting his son in a very uncomfortable spot with questions about his father's fathering/coaching abilities and vice versa. I had to turn it off.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I generally don't like being negative, but you are absolutely correct. It was beyond awkward. But on a positive note, at least it was a coach and not a student. It is embarrassing when the 40 something Carc tries to become best friends with 19 year old D1 athletes. Let it go Carc!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am +1000, this was absolutely awful!!!! Putting his son in a very uncomfortable spot with questions about his father's fathering/coaching abilities and vice versa. I had to turn it off.
The laughable, negative aspect of this segment/haircut was showing that the Baltimore homerism is still very much alive and well.

Guess the St. Bonnies coach didn't play at Hopkins :roll: Don't recall Carc cutting a true "grow the game" Head Coache's hair out in Cleveland last year. (true, b/c the head coach played CLUB college ball, before getting stints with the "pros" and learning from some guy that won a few championships )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 am I really don't like to be negative, but after watching the ESPN special on Utah lacrosse I can't let this one go. Head Coach Brian Holman is sitting in the Utah locker room getting a haircut from Paul Carcatera surrounded by his assistant coaches for thirty minutes. Yes a haircut. It was so staged and uncomfortable I couldn't watch after twenty minutes. The poor assistant coaches who are all pro stars looked mortified to be there. It was brutal and just set lacrosse back ten years on the national landscape. Wow
You mean Tony Bennet and Jay Wright don't get haircuts from Clark Kellogg?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Elsmo's referring to a wicked fast shot as "rocket ship" was a bit strange."Rocket" would have sufficed.And he had a funny accent. ;) I know he lived east of charm city but once in a while he sounded like a bayman from even further east.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

...and what in the world is "liquid smoke"?, other than the stuff I use when marinating and grilling. :roll:
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”