NCAA Football

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: NCAA Football

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:40 pm Great clip....Coach Prime at JSU

Soon to be Ga Tech coach. If he wants it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:34 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:40 pm Great clip....Coach Prime at JSU

Soon to be Ga Tech coach. If he wants it.
Just a bit further North and West....heading to Afan Territory:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Did not know all this: https://www.facebook.com/reel/804624910 ... ingle_unit

https://www.facebook.com/BlackAdamSchefter
- Broke into his car several times
- Son's car broken in several times (Jackson State is in the hood)
- Water is terrible and at one time taking baths in gym pool
- Didn't receive bonus from school (won SWAC champ)
- Alumni won't donate
- School didn't feed the student/players well
- City of Jackson doesn't support school properly
- Jackson State Salary: $300k/Year Colorado Salary: $5 Million/Year
- If you want him to Stay Black, PAY Black.
Don't ask a man to do something you won't do, smart men make smart choices and I think he made the right one.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:21 am Did not know all this: https://www.facebook.com/reel/804624910 ... ingle_unit

- Alumni won't donate
Don't ask a man to do something you won't do, smart men make smart choices and I think he made the right one.
99% of those things HE chose to go to. He chose to goto JSU, knowing that it's in a bad area - knowing that the alumni don't donate. He signed the contract ONLY making 300k. He wanted to be the change but it's all about him.

i'm not a fan of deion as a coach. he's too much of a clown. i think going to colorado is a bad choice for him - they are awful. it's gonna take at least 3-5 years to make them even relevant in the pac-12, let alone nationally and most likely by then, he'll be gone.

side note: what is the source on this facebook post?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:21 am Did not know all this: https://www.facebook.com/reel/804624910 ... ingle_unit

- Alumni won't donate
99% of those things HE chose to go to. He chose to goto JSU, knowing that it's in a bad area - knowing that the alumni don't donate. He signed the contract ONLY making 300k. He wanted to be the change but it's all about him.

i'm not a fan of deion as a coach. he's too much of a clown. i think going to colorado is a bad choice for him - they are awful. it's gonna take at least 3-5 years to make them even relevant in the pac-12, let alone nationally and most likely by then, he'll be gone.

How do you know he signed up to be robbed! How do you know he knew he would get no support after righting the ship? Is it b/c black folks in poor areas at HBCU’s can’t change….is that what you are saying?
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

- Alumni won't donate

I wanted him at Ga Tech because CFB has become a reality TV show and kind of joke so figured you could get the Lane Kiffin effect but they probably made a better choice in the long run. (Lance Leopold would’ve been my first choice for Ga Tech)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:44 pm

- Alumni won't donate

How do you know he signed up to be robbed! How do you know he knew he would get no support after righting the ship? Is it b/c black folks in poor areas at HBCU’s can’t change….is that what you are saying?
sure, go ahead and make it all about race. it's what you guys are good at. i said, he signed the contract for 300k a year. what was he expecting, more money then the contract said? he knew JSU was in a sh!t area - yet he still went. and apparently he didn't right the ship, if this stuff is still going on.

again - like i said - who is this information even coming from?

source: trust me, bro.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:58 am

- Alumni won't donate

I wanted him at Ga Tech because CFB has become a reality TV show and kind of joke so figured you could get the Lane Kiffin effect but they probably made a better choice in the long run. (Lance Leopold would’ve been my first choice for Ga Tech)
i wouldn't trust him with my program if he was the only coach that applied for the job.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:36 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:44 pm

- Alumni won't donate

sure, go ahead and make it all about race. it's what you guys are good at. i said, he signed the contract for 300k a year. what was he expecting, more money then the contract said? he knew JSU was in a sh!t area - yet he still went. and apparently he didn't right the ship, if this stuff is still going on.

again - like i said - who is this information even coming from?

source: trust me, bro.
I am not making it about race...at all, sorry if you took it that way. I assumed that's what you where implying b/c you stated he knew he was entering a place with no support, a bad area, and that alumni are deadbeats. I really do not believe he wanted it to be all about him...his actions showed that he was emotionally and financially invested for the betterment of his team and the school. After loosing toes, he barely missed time to be on the field with his team. Let's assume it is all about him, his investment in the program turned them around immensely...and for that you call him a clown and that he is all about himself; as a coach I just can't square that, knowing what all is involved and I just coach lax, much less CFB.

His 'clown' antics I can agree with on some level. As a coach you have to read your audience, play Sigmund Freud with each of your players and find common standards that will apply to all. In the end, he gave his men a chance at their dream, which was far more than they would have, had he not ever showed up.

Have a great weekend njlaxx1. Looking forward to the Army-Navy game...you have a prediction?

My heart says Navy, but head says Army. I'll go 20-17 Army.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Army-Navy:

https://www.google.com/search?q=army-na ... e&ie=UTF-8

Missed the first half as I was attending a youth club hockey game. Saw the more exciting second half and the double OT. The link includes highlights but I won't spoil for those who did not get a chance to watch. It had a very exciting ending. Neither team has broken any NCAA records in recent years but the rivalry remains very special.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Deon sharing some Of the inside recruiting tricks: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpLi9i3j ... kzY2Y1YTY=
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Interesting video of undrafted Joey Fisher (Div 2 RT):

Enormous strength, speed, and lateral quickness. But these pics are of him playing against D2 players. While he had some initial success at draft combine competition, he needs to play against D1 and pro players before we fully see what he is capable of doing. Barring injury he should be able to play a decent game in the NFL.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

How the PAC-12 scramble will impact WSU’s athletics
Already facing a $100M deficit, the Pullman-based sports program is now searching for a new conference to keep TV revenue rolling in.

https://tinyurl.com/ycx8cycx

Washington State University’s athletics program was already facing a $100 million deficit before the University of Washington announced it was leaving the Pac-12 Conference, creating more financial uncertainty for the Cougars.

But the deficit – and the dismembership of the conference in the wake of the departures of UW and the University of Oregon – is not likely to impact the university’s chances of joining another conference, school spokesman Phil Weiler told Crosscut this week.

The deficit has not come up as Washington State searches for a new home, Weiler said. “There’s a sense of urgency to find the best location for Washington State,” he said, since the upcoming season is the last for the old Pac-12.

Money is a major driver of college sports. Lack of sufficient television money is the main reason the Pac-12 broke up, as eight of the 12 schools decided they could make more playing in another conference.

Washington, Oregon, UCLA and Southern California are moving to the Midwest-dominated Big Ten, where they figure to eventually double their annual share of television revenue. Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado are moving to the Big 12, where they stand to make millions more each year in the association of teams from Texas, Oklahoma and other states.

Next: WSU researchers study a coronavirus spread by camels in Kenya
PAC-12 Reorg by Madeline Happold
Left behind are Washington State and Oregon State, which both play in small markets, along with Stanford and California. Those schools are likely to either join other conferences, such as the Mountain West, or try to lure some other teams and rebuild something out of the remnants of the Pac-12.

Economics of college sports
Either way, the Cougars face a longer road to financial solvency than if the Pac-12 had stayed together.

College sports isn’t cheap. Washington State, one of the thriftier programs amid the so-called power-conference teams, will spend more than $84 million on athletics in fiscal 2024. Other schools spend far more.

There’s a hierarchy in top-level college sports. About 60 of the top programs – including the Cougars – are lumped together in five power conferences, which make the most money. Another 60 or so teams are in lesser conferences that produce far less in television revenue.

Next: Two Yakima orchards settle years-long lawsuit with Washington AG
As an example, teams in the Pac-12 in recent years got around $20 million each in annual television revenue. Teams in the Big Ten, the Big 12, the SEC or the ACC made far more.

That’s why UCLA and Southern California announced months ago that they were jumping to the Big Ten.

Most of these TV dollars go to the schools with the top football and basketball programs. But the athletic budget obviously includes more than just money to support those teams. Big sports schools have big sports programs, with teams competing with their conference rivals in everything from soccer to softball and gymnastics.

Schools fill in their athletic dollars by selling tickets, attracting fan and alumni donations and charging student fees. The money pays for coaches, athletic scholarships, support staff, facilities, equipment, uniforms and travel.

Even after UCLA and Southern California defected, leaders of the Pac-12 thought they had saved the conference when Commissioner George Kliavkoff last week announced he had reached a new television deal with Apple.

Washington State President KIrk Schulz said on Monday he was “shocked” when Washington and Oregon bailed, essentially sealing the doom of the Pac-12.

Schulz said he remains in contact with the leaders of the three other remaining Pac-12 teams to find a common solution.

Eight PAC-12 teams are leaving to join other conferences. Washington State University, Oregon State, Stanford and California will be the four left behind.

Washington State has been a member of the Pac-12 or its predecessor conferences since 1917. It’s a big point of pride in tiny Pullman that the Cougars played in a prestigious conference.

Thousands of people poured into the small town on football game days, filling every hotel room for miles around.

To play at that level cost a lot of money, and the Cougars this past decade were spending more than they were earning.

The problems started around 2010, when former Athletic Director Bill Moos and the late WSU President Elson S. Floyd decided that bigger investments in football were needed for the Cougars to remain a power-conference team.

Next: PNW hockey teams are backing Pride Nights, despite resistance
Expecting a huge bump in Pac-12 media revenue from a new television deal, WSU spent $65 million to improve Martin Stadium and $61 million on a Football Operations Building. They hired a big-name coach, Mike Leach, for $3 million a year.

The investments worked. The football team improved, attendance increased and the Cougars went to six bowl games in eight years under Leach. The Cougars went 11-2 in 2018, the most wins in program history, and beat Iowa State in the Alamo Bowl.

But the Pac-12 media deal fell far short of the annual payments expected by each school, and debts piled up. Administrators started spending down the school’s financial reserves and making cuts in other places to keep athletics afloat. Money from housing, food services, parking and other revenue generators was diverted to sports.

The debt reached more than $100 million a few years ago, and Schulz said enough. Athletics was ordered to balance its annual budget and create a plan to pay off the accumulated debt.

For a time it worked. Washington State had a balanced budget for fiscal 2022, although the earlier debt remained.

But the financial picture soured in fiscal 2023, mostly because of even-lower-than-expected revenue from the Pac-12 and other revenue sources such as student sports passes, as well as higher costs. Athletics posted an $11.5 million deficit for fiscal 2023, which Schulz blamed on “multiple unforeseen challenges” such as inflation.

What's up next?
As a result, WSU athletics has instituted a hiring freeze and suspended non-essential travel. Weiler said the university refinanced the athletics debt during the pandemic when interest rates were low.

Next: The OL Reign photographer who's been with the team through it all
“We are back on a path of breaking even on the athletic budget on an annual basis,” Weiler said.

The recent turmoil has created sour feelings among the former Pac-12 teams.

President Schulz said he and Athletic Director Pat Chun have reached out to colleagues across the country looking for a suitable home for WSU sports.

“I know many of you are angry and upset by the situation WSU finds itself in,” Schulz said this week. “And it is tempting to lash out.”

“College athletics is at its worst with this realignment stuff,” Schulz told ESPN on Wednesday. “Everybody is truly looking out for themselves.”

Schulz told ESPN that Washington State might lose 40 percent of its athletic funding because of the demise of the Pac-12, and may have to raise student fees and lean more heavily on donations. But he vowed the school will not cut sports programs.

Chun said Washington State intends to remain a Power 5 program.

“Our performance indicates that we’re a Power 5 school,” Chun told reporters on Wednesday. “We’re going to do our best to continue to compete at that level.”

Next: The original Mariners’ mascot talks about life under the antlers
The WSU Board of Regents announced Thursday they would be holding a special meeting on Friday, Aug. 11, to discuss “present, pending or potential litigation” in a private session with the university’s lawyers. But the meeting announcement didn’t say if the litigation involved athletics.

What happens to the Apple Cup?
The future of the storied Apple Cup game between Washington and Washington State is in question.

Gov. Jay Inslee, a UW alum, has said he hopes the rivalry game continues, and University of Washington officials have said they are open to the idea.

Chun said that would happen only if the game continued to rotate between Seattle and Pullman. “I don’t see how not playing the Apple Cup in Pullman would ever be a good decision for Washington State,” Chun said.

Washington State football coach Jake Dickert sounded a positive note after a recent practice. Cougar football, which dates to the 1890s, will continue, he said.

“WAZZU will find its way,” Dickert said. “We have for 100 some years and we will again.”

Schools abandoning Pac 12 because TV viewership is smaller in the Far West those of schools in the Midwest and Southeast. Evidently, TV revenue is the biggest source of income for college sports programs. Thus, the shift to elsewhere. Should improve the level of competition during the regular season but lessens the regional rivlaries.

youthathletics

College Football

Post by youthathletics »

Opening weekend and this sign makes it on national TV: https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/stat ... 70755?s=20
~Livy
DMac

Re: College Football

Post by DMac »

Prime Time 1-0.
Exciting game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:14 pm Prime Time 1-0.
Exciting game.
Dang it.....meant to watch it, but got wrapped up with the dogs today. Sure looked like a fun one. THat stop on 4th and 9 was huge.

~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

21 point underdog wins in a major upset!

Am not so big on college football like I was in the old days. Usually, I only watch Army-Navy and a couple of bowl games. But for some reason, I was intrigued by that game. Was so glad for Neon Deion when his team won. Late game win reminded me of this classical moment from 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ncJj4L2jw

Stewart-Westbrook: what a moment!

DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:46 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:14 pm Prime Time 1-0.
Exciting game.
Dang it.....meant to watch it, but got wrapped up with the dogs today. Sure looked like a fun one. THat stop on 4th and 9 was huge.
Huge indeed, it was 4th and 4 but one of the TCU linemen jumped early and that made it 4th and 9. I didn't think CU was going to be able to stop them on 4th and 4 but when it was 4th and 9 I thought they had shot. The CU D kind of hung on by the skin of their teeth for a good part of the game, including a big interception in the end zone after TCU had marched right down the field. Picked another one off on the 4 too. Next play they fumbled and TCU then scored but the point is, that CU D (a little suspect in my book) wasn't shutting that TCU O down.
My buddy came over to watch the game, he's a bit of a gambler and told me TCU was a 20 1/2 pt favorite, I didn't know that. I said I'm thinkin' CU will win it straight up. Been watching a little of Prime Time's putting together of this team, it's not smart to bet against him. Whether you like him or not he knows how to coach a football team and get the very best out of his players. Gotta tip your hat to the guy.
CU dropped two TD passes in this game.....right in your hands kind of drops too. The score could easily have been 59-42. Was a fun game to watch. Long season, we'll see how they do long term but Prime Time shocked a lot of critics yesterday for sure.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Prime Time may not be sustainable in Boulder. Heck, the buzz may not even last until tonight. But so far, holy moly!

I've never paid more that $25 bucks for a Buffs ticket. Cheapest on Stub Hub this week was $400.

Boulder/Denver has been buzzing all week. Great old school CU NU rivalry game.

Go Buffs!!
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

TO’s crushing NU this far. Sims working thru some pressure situations in the 2nd qtr. CU taking full advantage of the TO’s

Beautiful TD play by NU on the QB keep. You could see CU was in man when the OLB mirrored the tailback.

4th qtr runaway.

CU is like watching Tufts lacrosse while Kirwan there, and then Brown the following a years. So much fun for the players when you just let em play within a flow state system.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”