With Scholarship Limits Ending, Who Makes a Push in the Next 3-4 Years?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: With Scholarship Limits Ending, Who Makes a Push in the Next 3-4 Years?

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:49 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:03 am
laxfan9999 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:10 pm I talked to a power five women’s lacrosse coach and he said that the expectation is budgets will
Be cut to get to the 22 million or whatever the number is. He went so far as to say the coaches at their school
Weren’t going to really be recruiting until the new year started July 1 and the budget was there. They had no money left for June. Haven’t heard that before from a football
School.
I've heard similar input from another Power 5/football school coach. She said she doesn't even know what her 2025 budget will be so she will be more cautious than normal in making financial commitments -- probably only looking to bring in 4-5 recruits with $$ in September/October unless she gets more clarity on budgets sooner.

Definitely feels like the 26s will be feeling the impact of this.
Another update -- My 25 daughter had a team dinner last Saturday will a majority of the other commits and coach staff at her future non-power 5 school.

They asked their coach about this at dinner. And she said something like this. (Keep in mind this is secondhand from a rising who doesn't have the best attention to detail.)

- Zero impact to our program. AD confirmed no changes to our budget. She thinks it is a net positive because of impact to other schools
- She expects there to be impacts at power 5 schools in terms of reduced overall budget. She thinks lots at some schools scholarship $$ will be converted to NIL$$ which will hurt kids because they will now be taxed on them
- She expects lots of schools to start fundraising programs to help fill the gap
- Thinks the biggest impact will be non-Big 10 power 5 schools. (Big 10 schools haven't built new revenue into fully budget yet so there is less to cut"
- She is hoping there will be an opportunity to pay commits to work at camps before they enroll; she couldn't commit to it yet, but would be a change in the ruling
- She thinks roster limit will end up in mid-30s. However, injured players and/or redshirts won't count against it.
- She thinks green cards will stay long-term but likely some more direction to improve consistency in officiating.
Max are you kidding? She’s got a steel trap. My daughter would’ve been like, “They said something but I really wasn’t paying attention.” She can keep up with 500 snaps an hour though. Friggin cell phones killing this generation.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:18 pm
laxfan9999 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:10 pm I talked to a power five women’s lacrosse coach and he said that the expectation is budgets will
Be cut to get to the 22 million or whatever the number is. He went so far as to say the coaches at their school
Weren’t going to really be recruiting until the new year started July 1 and the budget was there. They had no money left for June. Haven’t heard that before from a football
School.
I've heard similar input from another Power 5/football school coach. She said she doesn't even know what her 2025 budget will be so she will be more cautious than normal in making financial commitments -- probably only looking to bring in 4-5 recruits with $$ in September/October unless she gets more clarity on budgets sooner.

Another update -- My 25 daughter had a team dinner last Saturday will a majority of the other commits and coach staff at her future non-power 5 school.

They asked their coach about this at dinner. And she said something like this. (Keep in mind this is secondhand from a rising who doesn't have the best attention to detail.)

- Zero impact to our program. AD confirmed no changes to our budget. She thinks it is a net positive because of impact to other schools
- She expects there to be impacts at power 5 schools in terms of reduced overall budget. She thinks lots at some schools scholarship $$ will be converted to NIL$$ which will hurt kids because they will now be taxed on them
- She expects lots of schools to start fundraising programs to help fill the gap
- Thinks the biggest impact will be non-Big 10 power 5 schools. (Big 10 schools haven't built new revenue into fully budget yet so there is less to cut"
- She is hoping there will be an opportunity to pay commits to work at camps before they enroll; she couldn't commit to it yet, but would be a change in the ruling
- She thinks roster limit will end up in mid-30s. However, injured players and/or redshirts won't count against it.
- She thinks green cards will stay long-term but likely some more direction to improve consistency in officiating.
Max are you kidding? She’s got a steel trap. My daughter would’ve been like, “They said something but I really wasn’t paying attention.” She can keep up with 500 snaps an hour though. Friggin cell phones killing this generation.
It took four conversations to get it out of her. She’s most excited about getting paid next year to work camps
cdb

Post by cdb »

The impact of the new financial revenue sharing is very hard to measure. It appears that college athletes may be on the way to becoming semi-professional athletes. I personally will find that unattractive and my enthusiasm for college sports may lessen. Schools that have a division 1 football team grant 85 scholarships to men and that causes all those Title Nine issues. I note that a majority of those larger schools are NOT making a profit in football except for the TV revenues that are paid to those conferences. Without that money, the football teams would operate at strong loss. I played college football ( although not well), but I have three friends who have died at younger ages due to concussions suffered while playing football. While I would not stop them, I counseled my children and counsel my grandchildren not to play football because of those same risks. Because of the precautions WLAX takes to prevent head injuries, I like it better than the men's game.

At this time, I can watch over 46 college football games each week on TV -- just with my streaming subscriptions -- they come with it. However, there are many of those games that I have absolutely no interest in. I didn't attend those schools and they are not national powers -- I believe that eventually the golden goose will start to lose it feathers -- and when that happens -- many of these power schools will find themselves without TV money to support losing teams. We have already seen the some sports media companies begin to fail. Personally, if I am going to watch professional players play a sport, I will watch the best -- and they are currently playing in the NFL. Of course this is only MHO and I have been wrong about as much as I have been right.

However, I see something very special in Women's LAX. These are not greedy athletes who will not attend a college unless they receive tons of money -- these are fantastic students -- great athletes -- who learn to play a sport that requires intricate teamwork where the team itself will make changes necessary on the field whenever it sees something is not working. The women huddle up after every score and discuss what worked and what didn't and what they need to do. I do not care who your alma mater is, these are the kind of athletes folks want to see representing their schools and making them feel so proud to be part of that team. I see a great future for this sport -- if it is handled well and continues to put up the product it has been producing. Who better to take the reins of this effort than some of the women who have played the sport?
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

:!:
School.

I feel like some of this might be off.

-I know of one P5 (P4?) program about to sign 11 this fall
-The scholarship limit has already been abandoned by some D1 WLax college coaches for this upcoming signing class (this Nov)
-Part of the NCAA settlement focuses on roster caps versus scholarship caps, so still no tax
-SEC (obviously not WLax) schools are about to get the surge too, so add them to the Big10 group. Also, some Big10 schools have been quoted as saying that they can't afford the $22M/yr, even with the new money coming down. You're definitely right on B12 and ACC schools not being about to afford the $22M/yr though. Louisville AD has already claimed this. If they can't, how the heck can BC, Cuse, Duke, Stanford, Colorado, etc.?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:53 pm :!:
School.

-The scholarship limit has already been abandoned by some D1 WLax college coaches for this upcoming signing class (this Nov)
-Part of the NCAA settlement focuses on roster caps versus scholarship caps, so still no tax
-SEC (obviously not WLax) schools are about to get the surge too, so add them to the Big10 group. Also, some Big10 schools have been quoted as saying that they can't afford the $22M/yr, even with the new money coming down. You're definitely right on B12 and ACC schools not being about to afford the $22M/yr though. Louisville AD has already claimed this. If they can't, how the heck can BC, Cuse, Duke, Stanford, Colorado, etc.?
Can you please explain to me:
1. Where are you getting your info that scholarship limits are being abandoned?
2. Schools are still under the current rules, how are coaches going above the 12.6 scholarships?
cdb

Post by cdb »

There is a way now to have more scholarships (see rules below(): Need or Academic scholarships do not appear to count against the 12 limit for Div 1 schools.

**Equivalency scholarship: Equivalency sports, like lacrosse, are given a pool of scholarship money that college coaches can divide up amongst recruits and current roster players. For example, if a lacrosse coach is given the equivalent of 12 scholarships, they can divide that funding among 25 lacrosse players. With such a small lacrosse scholarship budget, full-rides are rare. Instead, student-athletes typically receive partial scholarships.

The NCAA D1 Council adopted legislation that loosened regulation regarding need-based aid and academic scholarships that are not tied to athletic ability. Lacrosse teams will not have any athletes’ need- and academic-based aid count against the maximum athletic scholarship limit. Prior to this ruling, athletes had to meet certain criteria for their additional aid to not be counted against a team’s athletic scholarship limit.

Lacrosse teams will still have a maximum athletic scholarship cap, but student-athletes can seek to add as much need-based aid and academic scholarships as they qualify for. With school and family budgets being impacted by the coronavirus, this rule change should allow lacrosse programs that have the funds to extend more money to families and athletes that need it—especially at pricier private colleges.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:33 pm
School.

2. Schools are still under the current rules, how are coaches going above the 12.6 scholarships?
1. I won't say on an open forum.
2. The scholarship isn't being paid until after the rules change.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:19 pm
School.

Can you share where the schools are getting the $$ to pay for additional scholarships? I may happen at some schools, but I would imagine a majority of schools will either keep their investment in womens lacrosse the same or see significant cuts as result of the changes.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:04 pm
LiveLaxLove wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:19 pm
School.

Can you share where the schools are getting the $$ to pay for additional scholarships? I may happen at some schools, but I would imagine a majority of schools will either keep their investment in womens lacrosse the same or see significant cuts as result of the changes.
You'll see.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”