Virginia 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
blue angels

Re: Virginia 2025

Post by blue angels »

Sure but your arguments should be with those who make the rules & not the kids. It’s hard on the coaches, when change happens, but a verbal commitment is just that. You only know for sure if they are coming until after they sign. It’s tough when a kid has a chance to go to a more prestigious academic place that they always wanted, or is just a better social fit, etc. etc. It has definitely become a marketplace tilted totally towards the players, but with tge court rulings, not sure what could be done
laxfanctfc

Post by laxfanctfc »

blue angels wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:03 pm Sure but your arguments should be with those who make the rules & not the kids. It’s hard on the coaches, when change happens, but a verbal commitment is just that. You only know for sure if they are coming until after they sign. It’s tough when a kid has a chance to go to a more prestigious academic place that they always wanted, or is just a better social fit, etc. etc. It has definitely become a marketplace tilted totally towards the players, but with tge court rulings, not sure what could be done
It is tilted toward the highest end players. Most of the kids are scraping to find a spot on a roster. If they do find a spot they are lucky and happy to have a great 4 year experience.
As an aside, I don't think the goalies at JHU love that the coaches have shopped the portal the past 2 years for talent. In fact, UVA has a couple of transfers coming in at attack/middie that are going to create much comp for the current and 2024 grads.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

laxfanctfc wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:39 pm
blue angels wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:03 pm Sure but your arguments should be with those who make the rules & not the kids. It’s hard on the coaches, when change happens, but a verbal commitment is just that. You only know for sure if they are coming until after they sign. It’s tough when a kid has a chance to go to a more prestigious academic place that they always wanted, or is just a better social fit, etc. etc. It has definitely become a marketplace tilted totally towards the players, but with tge court rulings, not sure what could be done
It is tilted toward the highest end players. Most of the kids are scraping to find a spot on a roster. If they do find a spot they are lucky and happy to have a great 4 year experience.
As an aside, I don't think the goalies at JHU love that the coaches have shopped the portal the past 2 years for talent. In fact, UVA has a couple of transfers coming in at attack/middie that are going to create much comp for the current and 2024 grads.
I am very comfortable with how Lars is very judicious in his use of the portal unlike some other staffs who are adding 5,6, 7 players. He uses it only to fill major roster holes, but defers to his roster otherwise. They added a face off from portal and a high school recruit after losing 3 players at the position and will actually still have fewer scholarship players there than last year. Midfield had no depth, lost a few to graduation, and were waiting on Boyden to decide whether to come back or not. Attack lost 2 AA 4 year starters. Given the lack of midfield depth, Lars added a couple of midfielders from the portal, but there is a lot more playing time available on the offensive side of the field than at any time in a number of years.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

blue angels wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:33 pm
I am very comfortable with how Lars is very judicious in his use of the portal unlike some other staffs who are adding 5,6, 7 players. He uses it only to fill major roster holes, but defers to his roster otherwise. They added a face off from portal and a high school recruit after losing 3 players at the position and will actually still have fewer scholarship players there than last year. Midfield had no depth, lost a few to graduation, and were waiting on Boyden to decide whether to come back or not. Attack lost 2 AA 4 year starters. Given the lack of midfield depth, Lars added a couple of midfielders from the portal, but there is a lot more playing time available on the offensive side of the field than at any time in a number of years.
is Boyden back?
coda

Post by coda »

that is part of the issue. We went from a world where people said "your word is your bond" to a world where in your words "you need to do what's best for yourself". We dont need to talk about rules, this is simply a matter of character. Its always a bad look when you break your word. Its just a matter of how bad it is based on the circumstances. Just a strange world where people think breaking your word should not even raise an eye brow.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:53 am
that is part of the issue. We went from a world where people said "your word is your bond" to a world where in your words "you need to do what's best for yourself". We dont need to talk about rules, this is simply a matter of character. Its always a bad look when you break your word. Its just a matter of how bad it is based on the circumstances. Just a strange world where people think breaking your word should not even raise an eye brow.
my goodness, no one's likely to change their mind on this, but do you have any room for contempt for the other side? the adults, that is? who write the rules and then foster the environment, or just teenagers' character? we heard these same things when it was 14 year olds, now 16 and 17 (and in fairness, now 18 year olds making commits).
there's the speed dating round where coaches aren't "getting to know" recruits but telling them how quickly they have to decide or the spot disappears. then those same coaches poaching until the deadline.

in just hausmann's case, it was a year after committing, not long before nli's. brown flipped 2 other kids around the same time. and then another a month + later. none of them at his position. and that's the coach and program that you say it's a sh*/++y thing to do to. and lacks character by the under adults in this equation.

taken more holistically, this is the setup coaches want. the rules do matter, and they hold the strings. race for and pressure verbals, but they know full well it's their job to hold on to them and also pursue others' guys. the only reason there hasn't been a large swath of cutting people from your original list to grab others is no one wants to be 1st mover yet. happens somewhat, but in larger doses that's probably what's coming next.

the only reason this one deal got attention at all was because of the player's profile and it was brown on brown crime. all is fair in love and recruiting.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:33 pm
my goodness, no one's likely to change their mind on this, but do you have any room for contempt for the other side? the adults, that is? who write the rules and then foster the environment, or just teenagers' character? we heard these same things when it was 14 year olds, now 16 and 17 (and in fairness, now 18 year olds making commits).
there's the speed dating round where coaches aren't "getting to know" recruits but telling them how quickly they have to decide or the spot disappears. then those same coaches poaching until the deadline.

in just hausmann's case, it was a year after committing, not long before nli's. brown flipped 2 other kids around the same time. and then another a month + later. none of them at his position. and that's the coach and program that you say it's a sh*/++y thing to do to. and lacks character by the under adults in this equation.

taken more holistically, this is the setup coaches want. the rules do matter, and they hold the strings. race for and pressure verbals, but they know full well it's their job to hold on to them and also pursue others. the only reason there hasn't been a large swath of cutting people from your original list to grab others is no one wants to be 1st mover yet. happens somewhat, but in larger doses that's probably what's coming next.

the only reason this one deal got attention at all was because of the player's profile and it was brown on brown crime. all is fair in love and recruiting.
I am not saying there is not issues on both sides. I am simply saying that anytime someone breaks their word it is not a good thing. There are degrees to it of course. Think of a scale of 1 to 100. Each case is different.

I am not sure the coaches wanted this. I dont believe they were consulted on much of these changes. Most of these changes were done either by the court system or the NCAA's fear of the court system.

I just dont get people who think the morals of recruiting are cool. Coaches and kids breaking promises. Nothing wrong with saying it is kind of bad. You have to do what you have to do, but that does not mean people have to agree with your decision
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

coda wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:46 pm

taken more holistically, this is the setup coaches want. the rules do matter, and they hold the strings. race for and pressure verbals, but they know full well it's their job to hold on to them and also pursue others. the only reason there hasn't been a large swath of cutting people from your original list to grab others is no one wants to be 1st mover yet. happens somewhat, but in larger doses that's probably what's coming next.

I am not saying there is not issues on both sides. I am simply saying that anytime someone breaks their word it is not a good thing. There are degrees to it of course. Think of a scale of 1 to 100. Each case is different.

I am not sure the coaches wanted this. I dont believe they were consulted on much of these changes. Most of these changes were done either by the court system or the NCAA's fear of the court system.

I just dont get people who think the morals of recruiting are cool. Coaches and kids breaking promises. Nothing wrong with saying it is kind of bad. You have to do what you have to do, but that does not mean people have to agree with your decision
Please show us where anyone, has said or clearly implied, that they think the morals of recruiting are cool?
coda

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:29 pm
coda wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:46 pm

Please show us where anyone, has said or clearly implied, that they think the morals of recruiting are cool?
I keep seeing people tripping over themselves to excuse all this behavior. I assumed that meant they were cool with it. Perhaps their actions and thoughts are not aligned.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Eh, I don't have any problem with flipping guys (although it's more fun to be the flipping rather than the flipped program). What raised my eyebrows on this particular incident was the element of the head coach pulling a Cyrano de Bergerac and having his assistant do all the talking to the Brown commit. Obviously the HC authorized the offer to be made, silly to act like it made a difference that he didn't personally pitch the guy but his OC did. (But to be fair I've always thought LT was kind of sanctimonious going back to his Brown HC days so I'm probably dragging that bias into this.)

Substantively, though, no issues with the player moving or with UVA encouraging the move.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

Playing D1 lacrosse (and other college sports) goes a long way to building resilience and learning a bit about the rough and tumble nature of life beyond the cocoon. Coaches scream loyalty but will transfer or recruit over a player without batting an eye. It is what is is - they're paid to win. And more players today are less concerned about college experience, relationships, etc. because of perceived opportunity elsewhere. I cannot imagine transferring away from teammates and roommates after 2 years into an environment where you likely know very few people and are starting over. Hell, looking for a roommates/viable apartment on many college campuses is a serious challenge. But it happens a great deal today.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Big Transfer News this a.m.:

Former Notre Dame FO Andrew Greenspan is joining @UVAMensLax, he tells @Inside_Lacrosse.

Ranked No. 35 in @ILPreps Class of 2023, he won 17-of-30 draws for the Irish in 7 games this spring and addresses a need for the Hoos.

https://x.com/terencefoy/status/1811004 ... EO2hFStaxg
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Would someone in-the-know please update us on the status of Ryan Duenkel? All I know is he missed his senior year, and there are rumors he may not be ready for his frosh year (which I find crazy given the length of time elapsed with injuries). What exactly is going on? Should we be worried in Hooville?

Duenkel appears to be even smaller than Truit and he's struggled to see the field because he's simply not physical enough.
Last edited by Hooz123 on Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Why would anyone release specifics on Duenkel's injury status, that's PHI.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:56 am Why would anyone release specifics on Duenkel's injury status, that's PHI.
? He is a top 5 recruit and hasn't played lacrosse in over a year, and there are rumors swirling he may not even play next year. Imagine the top football or basketball recruit in the same situation. It would be covered far and wide and everyone would know exactly what's going on. Your post is totally illogical. At an absolute minimum, it would be reported as a "lower-body injury," or whatever specific bodily area.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:17 am Big Transfer News this a.m.:

Former Notre Dame FO Andrew Greenspan is joining @UVAMensLax, he tells @Inside_Lacrosse.

Ranked No. 35 in @ILPreps Class of 2023, he won 17-of-30 draws for the Irish in 7 games this spring and addresses a need for the Hoos.

I am assuming the often injured, Gable Braun, must not be returning. As a result, this leaves Virginia with the same number of Face off Options as last season and that was barely enough. Only 2 of the 5 will have taken a college draw. Virginia has become a preferred destination for players from Connecticut powerhouse lax program Brunswick. Think 4 will be on next season’s roster including flips and transfers from Duke and Notre Dame.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

UVA likes to collect those FOGOs in bulk -- three guys (Colucci, DeSouza, and Ghobriel) came in last year as transfers. In my opinion, using the portal for specialist positions like FOGO and goalie is one of the smartest uses; for FOGO in particular it's very "plug and play." Ghobriel was a particularly great pickup for UVA last year with multiple years of eligibility and if they are bringing in Greenspan I suspect he could be high impact as well. Strong move for the 'Hoos.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:43 am

UVA likes to collect those FOGOs in bulk -- three guys (Colucci, DeSouza, and Ghobriel) came in last year as transfers. In my opinion, using the portal for specialist positions like FOGO and goalie is one of the smartest uses; for FOGO in particular it's very "plug and play." Ghobriel was a particularly great pickup for UVA last year with multiple years of eligibility and if they are bringing in Greenspan I suspect he could be high impact as well. Strong move for the 'Hoos.
Especially for face offs because it’s best to trot out several of them to keep them fresh and give opponents different styles to counter. It is also a position frequented by injuries. You can only play one goalie in the optimum situation, acknowledging it doesn’t always work that way
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

blue angels wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:31 am
The Orfling wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:43 am

Especially for face offs because it’s best to trot out several of them to keep them fresh and give opponents different styles to counter. It is also a position frequented by injuries. You can only play one goalie in the optimum situation, acknowledging it doesn’t always work that way
That's a great point. And I'm in the "you can't have too many FOGOs" camp. For Yale, three FOGOs (two great, one promising) ended up not being enough this year -- the two strongest were hurt badly enough to be out down the stretch and the third was battling on one leg. So, smart work by Tiffany and UVA to bring in Greenspan.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Kip Turner was promoted to Associate Head Coach. Good for him and good move by Lars. Not sold on Kevin Cassese.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”