Maryland 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PulpExposure

Re: Maryland 2025

Post by PulpExposure »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:59 pm He absolutely does and has earned another chance. He’s a good player but the offense looked completely rejuvenated once Spannos and and Kelly were put on attack and moved Erksa up top.
Yep. Erksa just oozes speed, which you can't teach. He is so dangerous from up top, and that move was really smart. I know they had him at x, but that's a position that you need vision and quickness to really excel in.

One thing I was very surprised with was kids supposedly improve quite a bit between that freshman and sophomore years. I was hoping that for him, he'd get better stick skills, and just didn't see it. He wasn't a much different player as a sophomore than he was as a freshman. Maybe his junior year he'll make that jump.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AllaboutLax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:27 am Coach Bernhardt doesn't receive the credit he deserves for the success for this team. Coach K is a stretch.
Tills would agree with you. In the post game pressers Tills talks about the game plan that Jesse puts in for each game. The players also talk about working with Jesse
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:28 am
masondixonlax wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:59 pm He absolutely does and has earned another chance. He’s a good player but the offense looked completely rejuvenated once Spannos and and Kelly were put on attack and moved Erksa up top.
Yep. Erksa just oozes speed, which you can't teach. He is so dangerous from up top, and that move was really smart. I know they had him at x, but that's a position that you need vision and quickness to really excel in.

One thing I was very surprised with was kids supposedly improve quite a bit between that freshman and sophomore years. I was hoping that for him, he'd get better stick skills, and just didn't see it. He wasn't a much different player as a sophomore than he was as a freshman. Maybe his junior year he'll make that jump.
I think the expectation was he’d put on muscle/ weight. He is very wiry but had trouble with big defenders in a tight space when in arms length. When he has the space he can blow by just about anyone.

As for Stobaugh I only remember him getting on the field a couple times .i have never seen him play in person but his tape was impressive. Wonder if tills had plan to redshirt him regardless
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

One thing we should all remember about Tils. His mind is probably 2 years ahead from what we know. My guess is he plots out contingencies that might happen like Malever to the portal. He is rarely caught empty handed. There will be a lot of new names on the field next year. That is new to you and me, but not to the best coach in the land. His lineup is probably etched in his mind along with possible back ups. HE IS NEVER UNPREPARED.

As for face off , I had a chance to ask Luke about his face off team and what to expect next year. Luke praised his guys to the moon and reminded me that they have been facing against him in one case for 3 years. Look for Shea Keether to outperform expectations. Luke 9Maryland's best face off manever) has implanted in his guys every bit of knowledge and wisdom he has. Keether might not perform on a Luke level but certainly on a Terrapin level. I will try to find my interview with him and post it.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The Maryland Lacrosse family is saddened to learn of the passing of Jimmy Beardmore (‘87).

Jimmy was the 1987 Goalie of the Year, a First Team All-American and the ACC Player of the Year. Now, he will #BeTheBest angel. Our hearts go out to the Beardmore family during this time.

https://x.com/terpsmlax/status/17980732 ... EO2hFStaxg
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:32 pm The Maryland Lacrosse family is saddened to learn of the passing of Jimmy Beardmore (‘87).

Jimmy was the 1987 Goalie of the Year, a First Team All-American and the ACC Player of the Year. Now, he will #BeTheBest angel. Our hearts go out to the Beardmore family during this time.

https://x.com/terpsmlax/status/17980732 ... EO2hFStaxg
RIP. Any idea what happened?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

A C. MARKLAND KELLY award finalists is Trever Owens
He is also the POY for All Washington County

John Draley named 1st team WCAC and Player of the Year
John Offutt ‘25 named 1st team WCAC
James Gardiner named 1st team WCAC
Johnny Gardiner name 1st team WCAC

All MIAA selections
Spencer Ford ‘24 attack
Matt Higgins ‘25 attack
Peter Laake ‘24 defense
Aidan Seibel ‘25 goalie

All Mid-West 1st team and 𝑼𝑺𝑨 𝑳𝒂𝒄𝒓𝒐𝒔𝒔𝒆 𝑨𝒍𝒍-𝑨𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒏𝒔
Tyler Coryea ‘24 - Goalie

National Sr. All American Game, powered by Nike on June 21
John Draley, St. John’s (D.C.), Maryland
Peter Laake, Loyola Blakefield (Md.), Maryland
Spencer Ford, Boys’ Latin (Md.), Maryland (Captain)

New Balance Sr. All American Game
Johnny Gardiner, Gonzaga (D.C.), Maryland
John Draley, St. John’s (D.C.), Maryland
Peter Laake, Loyola Blakefield (Md.), Maryland
Spencer Ford, Boys’ Latin (Md.), Maryland
Game on July 27
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

So...

Is Tills done in the portal?

Armitage, Ford, Hernandez, Goorno, and Keegan.

Believe Armitage, Ford, and Keegan are all lefties.

Don't know if Hernandez can play LSM, but they need depth there next year behind McDonald and Larkin. It'd be great to see one more shorty maybe? Geordy Holmes has be close to breaking into the lineup, so maybe they feel good with Kolar, Stamos, Goorno, and Holmes are the first 4. Of course, it's hard to know right now who among the freshman from last year might be ready to step up like Stamos did.

But how are we feeling about the offense? Do Ford and Keegan give the offense enough dodging pop? Armitage certainly brings the shooting, which the team really needed last season.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:17 pm So...

Is Tills done in the portal?

Armitage, Ford, Hernandez, Goorno, and Keegan.

Believe Armitage, Ford, and Keegan are all lefties.

Don't know if Hernandez can play LSM, but they need depth there next year behind McDonald and Larkin. It'd be great to see one more shorty maybe? Geordy Holmes has be close to breaking into the lineup, so maybe they feel good with Kolar, Stamos, Goorno, and Holmes are the first 4. Of course, it's hard to know right now who among the freshman from last year might be ready to step up like Stamos did.

But how are we feeling about the offense? Do Ford and Keegan give the offense enough dodging pop? Armitage certainly brings the shooting, which the team really needed last season.
Wicks is supposed to be coming back
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I anticipated some movement for sure, but 5 guys already with 3 on the offensive end shows that they were intent on changing things up. They didn't view the tournament run as affirmation of what they thought of this team or as the most representative reflection of the team; they thought things needed to get better and they're going to shake things up with new faces.

Armitage is a midfielder by trade, and with his shooting, that's where he'll stick I think. If Kelly is coming back as speculated, he'll be at one of the attack spots with Spanos; so I think one of Keegan or Ford bumps to the midfield. I'm not totally sure who, both are of similar size. Ford plays a lot more behind X, so it could be him. However, his A/TO ratio is rather low, in comparison to Keegan, so they may opt for Keegan at attack since he'd likely have more of the ball.

Either way, 3 guys with a lot of experience, been productive, and 2 of which have been the focus of #1 poles and now will probably get some better matchups. With Spanos, Erksa, Kelly back, you have a Top 6 that all has significant experience and are good players. Question is can any of them really pop and become a difference maker. Then you have Stobaugh, Whittier, we'll see if any of the freshmen can break through. A lot of options to feature throughout the year, which did become a plus towards the end of the year.

As for the other end, don't know much about Hernandez, but they have a lot of quality depth and options at pole. If they took him, they see something, so maybe he can be another quality body to add to the rotation.

Goorno's GB numbers are insane. The last two years, the team's GB leader at SSDM was Trader in 2023 with 18. This year no one had more than 12 in that group. In 2022; Puglise and Bubba both had 36, and Jake Higgins had 31. We've all spoken about the wing play a lot. Clearly this was an area they wanted to improve, and hopefully he can do so.

I can't say there's a lot left in the portal that stand out as obvious go-gets. I think they've done some good work; none of these guys are Jon Donville or Keegan Khan level additions; but they all profile as good players, have experience, and the team needed to beef up some spots for sure after this year. If this is what they wind up with, decent portaling IMO.
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:44 pm I anticipated some movement for sure, but 5 guys already with 3 on the offensive end shows that they were intent on changing things up. They didn't view the tournament run as affirmation of what they thought of this team or as the most representative reflection of the team; they thought things needed to get better and they're going to shake things up with new faces.

Armitage is a midfielder by trade, and with his shooting, that's where he'll stick I think. If Kelly is coming back as speculated, he'll be at one of the attack spots with Spanos; so I think one of Keegan or Ford bumps to the midfield. I'm not totally sure who, both are of similar size. Ford plays a lot more behind X, so it could be him. However, his A/TO ratio is rather low, in comparison to Keegan, so they may opt for Keegan at attack since he'd likely have more of the ball.

Either way, 3 guys with a lot of experience, been productive, and 2 of which have been the focus of #1 poles and now will probably get some better matchups. With Spanos, Erksa, Kelly back, you have a Top 6 that all has significant experience and are good players. Question is can any of them really pop and become a difference maker. Then you have Stobaugh, Whittier, we'll see if any of the freshmen can break through. A lot of options to feature throughout the year, which did become a plus towards the end of the year.

As for the other end, don't know much about Hernandez, but they have a lot of quality depth and options at pole. If they took him, they see something, so maybe he can be another quality body to add to the rotation.

Goorno's GB numbers are insane. The last two years, the team's GB leader at SSDM was Trader in 2023 with 18. This year no one had more than 12 in that group. In 2022; Puglise and Bubba both had 36, and Jake Higgins had 31. We've all spoken about the wing play a lot. Clearly this was an area they wanted to improve, and hopefully he can do so.

I can't say there's a lot left in the portal that stand out as obvious go-gets. I think they've done some good work; none of these guys are Jon Donville or Keegan Khan level additions; but they all profile as good players, have experience, and the team needed to beef up some spots for sure after this year. If this is what they wind up with, decent portaling IMO.

What I like is all 3 offensive additions are good shooters w some range. A six of Spanos, Kelly, Erksa, Ford, Keegan and Armitage is a much better shooting team than last year. We have the pieces, it’s Tills job to make them fit.

Also, watching Spencer Ford highlights and it’s highly unlikely he doesn’t get some serious run.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Terpslax1991 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:50 pm Also, watching Spencer Ford highlights and it’s highly unlikely he doesn’t get some serious run.
Ford is really good but he’s not a fast guy. I can’t see him coming out of the box. But yeah, he’s good enough he should play (a lot) as a freshman.

Also Malevar is off to Duke. Blech.
molo

Post by molo »

Sorry to hear about Jimmy Beardmore, who was the goalie on the undefeated Maryland team that Hopkins knocked off en route to the 1987. He was agile out of the goal and took a big hit from Steve Mitchell in that semifinal game. The Severn grad coached at Severa Park for a while. Only met him once, at the tryouts for Team USA at Curley Field. He was a pleasant guy who put on a show by walking on his hands. Death is always sad, especially at such a young age,
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wisnauskas is following Torpey to Brown to be OC
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:07 pm
Terpslax1991 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:50 pm Also, watching Spencer Ford highlights and it’s highly unlikely he doesn’t get some serious run.
Ford is really good but he’s not a fast guy. I can’t see him coming out of the box. But yeah, he’s good enough he should play (a lot) as a freshman.

Probably red shirt
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Turnandrake wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:16 pm

Probably red shirt
Obviously, I could be wrong, but I think Ford (S not B) will redshirt, too. Just give him a year with strength and conditioning. Let him add 20 pounds of muscle and get used to using that added strength on the scout team. Then let him rip when Higgins shows up the next year. Ford has phenomenal skills and has off the charts lax IQ. I think it'd be asking him a lot hit the field as a freshman. If I'm wrong, it means the kid is going to be future All-American, so I'd be more than happy to be wrong!!

When Higgins arrives, though, look out. That kid is a game-changer. Can he just sign right now so the known poachers stay away?!!! Higgins probably starts Day 1.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:16 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:16 pm

Probably red shirt
Obviously, I could be wrong, but I think Ford (S not B) will redshirt, too. Just give him a year with strength and conditioning. Let him add 20 pounds of muscle and get used to using that added strength on the scout team. Then let him rip when Higgins shows up the next year. Ford has phenomenal skills and has off the charts lax IQ. I think it'd be asking him a lot hit the field as a freshman. If I'm wrong, it means the kid is going to be future All-American, so I'd be more than happy to be wrong!!

When Higgins arrives, though, look out. That kid is a game-changer. Can he just sign right now so the known poachers stay away?!!! Higgins probably starts Day 1.
Spencer Ford is not redshirting. He was better than everyone on Maryland's offense this year. The '24 tournament run was miraculous, but that offense was worse than 13 of 17 of the opposing offensive units this year. Be the Best Tillman is not playing those odds again.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I lean towards him not redshirting, but they've brought in a lot of experienced guys in the portal, and it's hard to see those guys coming in and not getting substantial PT. When guys are brought in from the portal, it's pretty judiciously and they usually feature a lot. Eric Holden is basically the lone exception, and he got hurt early in the season, and still ran 2nd MF a lot in the NCAAs.

Even pre-portal, you had Dylan Maltz pretty quickly become a starter and key cog in the 16-17 teams. Pat Young had 15 goals in 2016.

Since 2021; Griffin Brown (15 goals), Khan and Donville (66 goals combined). Heck, Murphy's big 2022 season. On the defensive end, Higgins and Smith, Owen Prybylski. Nick Grill of course.

When they don't really see much there, they don't go for it (they definitely wanted Fake/Tevlin last year and unfortunately missed. May have been the difference in a deep run.) So point being, you've got 3 guys coming back who you know will start (Spanos, Erksa, Kelly) and 3 incomings. Now are those guys as good as the names above? I don't know! Maybe they won't be. But I gotta figure they get run. Which makes me feel that Ford probably isn't going to be a Day 1 starter

Now I could definitely see him playing EMO; cause he's a fantastic crease finisher, good shooter, and he moves so well off-ball. He feels like a perfect man-up player, and it's definitely a role I can see him assuming. Dubick played man-up as a true frosh in 2016 and he wasn't as skilled as Ford. That feels like a natural first role for him. If he can do more, fantastic
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:38 pm I lean towards him not redshirting, but they've brought in a lot of experienced guys in the portal, and it's hard to see those guys coming in and not getting substantial PT. When guys are brought in from the portal, it's pretty judiciously and they usually feature a lot. Eric Holden is basically the lone exception, and he got hurt early in the season, and still ran 2nd MF a lot in the NCAAs.

Even pre-portal, you had Dylan Maltz pretty quickly become a starter and key cog in the 16-17 teams. Pat Young had 15 goals in 2016.

Since 2021; Griffin Brown (15 goals), Khan and Donville (66 goals combined). Heck, Murphy's big 2022 season. On the defensive end, Higgins and Smith, Owen Prybylski. Nick Grill of course.

When they don't really see much there, they don't go for it (they definitely wanted Fake/Tevlin last year and unfortunately missed. May have been the difference in a deep run.) So point being, you've got 3 guys coming back who you know will start (Spanos, Erksa, Kelly) and 3 incomings. Now are those guys as good as the names above? I don't know! Maybe they won't be. But I gotta figure they get run. Which makes me feel that Ford probably isn't going to be a Day 1 starter

Now I could definitely see him playing EMO; cause he's a fantastic crease finisher, good shooter, and he moves so well off-ball. He feels like a perfect man-up player, and it's definitely a role I can see him assuming. Dubick played man-up as a true frosh in 2016 and he wasn't as skilled as Ford. That feels like a natural first role for him. If he can do more, fantastic
Why would Kelly get any benefit of the doubt over anyone next year? You really can say the same for any of the returning guys. When defenses wanted to shut off Erksa, Spanos, Malever or Kelly, they did easily.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:16 pm
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:38 pm I lean towards him not redshirting, but they've brought in a lot of experienced guys in the portal, and it's hard to see those guys coming in and not getting substantial PT. When guys are brought in from the portal, it's pretty judiciously and they usually feature a lot. Eric Holden is basically the lone exception, and he got hurt early in the season, and still ran 2nd MF a lot in the NCAAs.

Why would Kelly get any benefit of the doubt over anyone next year? You really can say the same for any of the returning guys. When defenses wanted to shut off Erksa, Spanos, Malever or Kelly, they did easily.
He's a shooter for a team that desperately lacks shooting and the offense was unmitigatedly better the more he featured. He got far fewer shifts in the first half of the season and then when he got back in the lineup as a starter on the attack he scored 13 goals in the last 7 games.

Look, if you want them to turn over the entire roster, god bless. They're not just dumping dudes who put up 40 points. One of their starters from last year hit the portal. Another contributor probably will. Another is leaving. They're keeping 3. They pretty clearly value what Spanos, Erksa, and Kelly bring. They are good lacrosse players. They helped the team win. It's not about "benefit of the doubt"; it's simply about who's on the roster and what they can bring. Those 3 guys are 3 of the best players on the offense. Maybe Spencer Ford is Steele Stanwick right off the jump. He probably won't be. Playing college lacrosse is hard. Whether we like it or not, they don't have Jared Bernhardt or Logan Wisnauskas or Matt Rambo on this roster right now. They aren't going to have one of those guys next year. So, you play the best players you have. Spanos, Erksa, etc. are some of the best players they have. They're going to play.

If you don't like this and you want 6 new faces, alright. It ain't happening though

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”