xxxxxxx

Re: 2023 world lacrosse men's championship

Post by xxxxxxx »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:27 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:11 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:59 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:21 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:09 am Openly understanding that those two teams have the best players in the world, the lower level teams will provide much more entertaining games. This international game is brutal, and sixes is even worse. I see lacrosse continuing to be a niche sport with the college game being the most entertaining. It’s really a shame.
I don't enjoy the box game, either..but, if you are a fan of box lax--and many appear to be--then sixes should be ok. Personally, I don't mind
low scoring games as long as there is action--but spinning the ball around and waiting for a stall warning is beyond painful...unwatchable.
Fair point I find box unwatchable and maybe they are interested in making the field game more like box. If that’s the goal it’s working.
I don’t like box either. Why we have this infatuation with Canadians and box is something I will never understand. You know why Europe is very good at developing basketball players now? It’s because they follow their own developmental model. They didn’t copy the USA model. I won’t watch 1 minute of “sixies”. It’s such a stupid game.
fair enough but if you have not watched a second of sixes how do you know it is a stupid game?, I kind of liked it but it is not "our" our lacrosse by any means. ?

I personally like any sporting event that is about getting a ball in a goal and high score wins, Team Handball, water polo and field hockey (as well as Box and Sixes) are all better to watch than Baseball.
I prefer the miles apart "goals" myself, the way the little brother of war was intended. :roll:
I like to call sixes middle school gym class lacrosse. It’s a joke and promoting it is bad for the sport.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

It baffles me why international versions of sports need to have different rules from the "original."

Post by 1766 »

BrownDad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:17 am
NOVALax2015 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:55 am
faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:20 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:08 am
faircornell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:31 pm 7-5 USA Final. Some great goaltending and interceptions.
Never thought I would say this, but the international game needs a shot clock. Almost looked like a soccer version of lacrosse.

Team USA won all but two faceoffs. What is any team supposed to do against Baptiste and Ierlan?

DocBarrister
While I can't disagree, this is really more of a lacrosse "festival" in my view, as much as a tournament. This year, 30 teams qualified with no automatic invitations that I'm aware of. 107 games go through all skill levels, so the rules are geared toward the lowest common
denominator of play. World Lacrosse and the national teams do an amazing amount of work to prepare for thesis games. By construct, the USA/ Canada game will be sub-optimal so that teams less advanced teams can play with continuous flow and fewer stoppages of play.

As global lacrosse develops, a shot clock will become more realistic at all levels.
While I see the logic here, I don't agree with it. This is equivalent to saying the Olympics should've done away with a basketball shot clock when they allowed pros to play and we sent the Dream Team. Sure, it may have resulted in less dominant wins; it also would've resulted in much less worldwide excitement over the sport. I think seeing the best in the world play the best brand of the sport does more for growth then seeing closer games that aren't as exciting.
Speaking of the Olympics, I just don't see how this can be considered an Olympic sport when 2 countries dominate as much as they do in this sport. There is an utter lack of competitiveness outside of the US and Canada especially when you consider that to compete for a country in the Olympics you have to be a citizen of that country. How many players on non-US/Canada lineups are US or Canadian citizens?
What you will see in the Olympics will look nothing like the lacrosse we see in the World Games. It will much more resemble "sixes" if not outright be sixes.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:17 pm It baffles me why international versions of sports need to have different rules from the "original."
Which rules set are "original"

The NCAA changes rules every year now.

Olympics will be sixes rules (whatever they are)
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:18 pm
Chousnake wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:17 pm It baffles me why international versions of sports need to have different rules from the "original."
Which rules set are "original"

The NCAA changes rules every year now.

Olympics will be sixes rules (whatever they are)
OK. Whatever game we watched last night was an awful brand of the sport. Just terrible. It was the most boring lacrosse game I've watched since the last World LaX Tournament. If this is a showcase for the sport, they need to rethink the product. Why are most NCAA games streamed and this is on ESPN for the sporting world to see? It was embarrassingly bad.

Post by 1766 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:20 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:09 am Openly understanding that those two teams have the best players in the world, the lower level teams will provide much more entertaining games. This international game is brutal, and sixes is even worse. I see lacrosse continuing to be a niche sport with the college game being the most entertaining. It’s really a shame.
I don't enjoy the box game, either..but, if you are a fan of box lax--and many appear to be--then sixes should be ok. Personally, I don't mind
low scoring games as long as there is action--but spinning the ball around and waiting for a stall warning is beyond painful...unwatchable.
Fair point I find box unwatchable and maybe they are interested in making the field game more like box. If that’s the goal it’s working.
I don’t like box either. Why we have this infatuation with Canadians and box is something I will never understand. You know why Europe is very good at developing basketball players now? It’s because they follow their own developmental model. They didn’t copy the USA model. I won’t watch 1 minute of “sixies”. It’s such a stupid game.
fair enough but if you have not watched a second of sixes how do you know it is a stupid game?, I kind of liked it but it is not "our" our lacrosse by any means. ?

I personally like any sporting event that is about getting a ball in a goal and high score wins, Team Handball, water polo and field hockey (as well as Box and Sixes) are all better to watch than Baseball.
Going forward I won’t watch a minute of it. 5-10 minutes was enough for me. We should enter “sidies” or “street soccer” into the Olympics instead of Soccer…..or pickle ball instead of tennis.

Speaking of water polo, I will see it at the 2024 Olympic Games.
The games that you see played in the Olympics are approved by the IOC. They been to a number of World Games and a few things became very clear to them, especially after watching the drab US/Canada game where they were passing the ball around for 5 minutes at a time. I'm not saying it's right, but their line of thinking is:

1) There are too many players. If the Olympics are going to sponsor the sport, it needs to have smaller rosters. This due to financial concerns. Obviously you can't play field lacrosse as we know it with less than what we see in the WG so something had to give- thus became the smaller field.

2) Lacrosse rules are confusing for the average viewer. Someone takes a shot and the team gets the ball back? Why were they offsides? It can be a complicated game for the uneducated. Solution? Get rid of it all and make it like basketball. Easy to follow. Score the other team gets the ball. Shoot and it goes out of bounds, the other team gets the ball.

3) Shot clock. They were not going to approve any version of lacrosse without it. Too boring otherwise.

If I had my way, I'd put the college game in the Olympics. That just wasn't possible. It's either sixes or nothing. Given that, some form of the game is better than no form of the game. Wouldn't be shocked in 50-100 years if we don't see sixes as the version of lacrosse that is played everywhere, even in college.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:32 pm

Going forward I won’t watch a minute of it. 5-10 minutes was enough for me. We should enter “sidies” or “street soccer” into the Olympics instead of Soccer…..or pickle ball instead of tennis.

The games that you see played in the Olympics are approved by the IOC. They been to a number of World Games and a few things became very clear to them, especially after watching the drab US/Canada game where they were passing the ball around for 5 minutes at a time. I'm not saying it's right, but their line of thinking is:

1) There are too many players. If the Olympics are going to sponsor the sport, it needs to have smaller rosters. This due to financial concerns. Obviously you can't play field lacrosse as we know it with less than what we see in the WG so something had to give- thus became the smaller field.

2) Lacrosse rules are confusing for the average viewer. Someone takes a shot and the team gets the ball back? Why were they offsides? It can be a complicated game for the uneducated. Solution? Get rid of it all and make it like basketball. Easy to follow. Score the other team gets the ball. Shoot and it goes out of bounds, the other team gets the ball.

3) Shot clock. They were not going to approve any version of lacrosse without it. Too boring otherwise.

If I had my way, I'd put the college game in the Olympics. That just wasn't possible. It's either sixes or nothing. Given that, some form of the game is better than no form of the game. Wouldn't be shocked in 50-100 years if we don't see sixes as the version of lacrosse that is played everywhere, even in college.
Nobody in the world plays the NCAA college game rules except US Colleges.

The IOC wanted smaller rosters, more uniform rules for men and women and a smaller field imprint that would work on television because that is how they make their money.

Don't get too worked up as sixes is going to appear once in Los Angeles in 2028 unless it turns out to be some kind of huge hit on TV broadcast.
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

1766 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:32 pm

That was my understanding also. I would not bother playing it in the Olympics. It’s not even lacrosse. Just another eventual money grab for the leaders in the cottage industry.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Chousnake wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:35 pm The international rules make for a boring game. All that talent on the field wasted.
Reminiscent of Patriot League lacrosse before the shot clock & rule changes for faceoffs & physical contact.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Does anyone know if any home grown Japanese players have made a D1 roster? I caught some of the Japan-France stream. Japan is the only team in the tournament playing with all home grown players. It looks like a matter of time before a few home grown Japanese players make a D1 roster.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:11 pm I don’t like box either. Why we have this infatuation with Canadians and box is something I will never understand.
A good way to use outdoor hockey rinks in warm weather, along with roller hockey.

Good for developing, in volume, one handed inside finishing attackmen.
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:40 am It would be best if the US and Canada were not involved. At this point I just want to see the U.S. lose, kinda like watching NASCAR for the wrecks. :lol:
:lol: that makes watching the PLL like watching Jackass.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don’t like box either. Why we have this infatuation with Canadians and box is something I will never understand.
Not seeing how this is hard to understand, plenty of examples of mighty fine Canadian box players who are standouts in college lacrosse. Typically their sticks are quicker and better, more creativity and innovation, accurate shooters too. All stems from that in tight box game. Lot of college kids playing box, including wlaxers, during the off season. I like box, it's a good game. World Tourney was held here some years back, fantastic stuff, watched a lot of it.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

If lacrosse makes it into the Olympics, the proposed structure is eight teams. The result would be a similar event to the World Games in Birmingham, Alabama last summer.

The USA Canada final in 2022 was, basically, a box type game played on a field. Personally, I found the stickwork and competition interesting. The Japa/England game was similarly entertaining.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DMac wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:18 pm
I don’t like box either. Why we have this infatuation with Canadians and box is something I will never understand.
Not seeing how this is hard to understand, plenty of examples of mighty fine Canadian box players who are standouts in college lacrosse. Typically their sticks are quicker and better, more creativity and innovation, accurate shooters too. All stems from that in tight box game. Lot of college kids playing box, including wlaxers, during the off season. I like box, it's a good game. World Tourney was held here some years back, fantastic stuff, watched a lot of it.
reminds me of an admonition from a USA coach to his defense when playing the Canadians in International play - Be alert - no matter how close you may guard them they think that they are always open even in tight space
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

It’s a different game. I don’t particularly like it (I watched the junior box tournament back in the winter). I do like the women’s game….like some of my Canadian friends say, there are plenty of bad Canadian players too.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:21 pm
reminds me of an admonition from a USA coach to his defense when playing the Canadians in International play - Be alert - no matter how close you may guard them they think that they are always open even in tight space
:lol:
Aint that the truth.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I was wondering if anyone had luck finding the Italy game scheduled for now? ESPN is playing Czech vs Puerto Rico.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

faircornell wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:05 pm I was wondering if anyone had luck finding the Italy game scheduled for now? ESPN is playing Czech vs Puerto Rico.
I am watching it but it is embarrassing….half the field is blocked by a tree. All you can see the midline for faceoffs. 😂😂😂

Just open the ESPN APP and it’s right on the front page.

EDIT: They finally cranked up the telescope pole, but still need to trim the tree tops.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Italy has the third most PLL players after the USA and Canada.

Return to “INTERNATIONAL MENS LACROSSE”