Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ezra White

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by Ezra White »

mfp wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:45 pm USA Lacrosse Magazine: Top Pick Gavin Adler 'Can't Waste Focus on All Those Accolades'
https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/pro/pll/ ... -accolades

Great representative of Cornell and Cornell lacrosse...
Thanks for the reference. I particularly liked this part:
Every pro defenseman has their “Welcome to the League” story.
Adler said his moment happened in the first game against the Redwoods.

“I was in a rotation and got switched to Rob Pannell,” he said. “Rob got the ball, and I try to press out on him and get aggressive and take the ball from him. He just inside rolled me quick.”
Shame the two of them couldn't have practiced this while they were both in college. :(
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

On a recent rainy Maine weekend, I had the pleasure (for the most part) of watching the tape of one of the most memorable Cornell lax games I've attended - the 2007 semis vs. Duke. Some great memories, except for the last 3+ seconds. Cornell came in undefeated at 15-0, and was shafted with a #4 seed, with Duke the #1.
It's hard to compare different generations across sports in general, but this may have been the strongest Cornell team in the post-Moran era:
Attack: David (Moose) Mitchell, Eric Pittard, and Henry Bartlett + Chris Finn
Mids: Siebold, John Glynn, and Brian Clayton + Casey Mitchell, Rocco Romero, and John Espy
-Matt McMonagle in Goal
-An absolutely outstanding defense of Mitch Belisle, Ethan Vedder, Matt Moyer, Nick Gradinger, Danny Nathan, and George Calvert
The game was played with the temperature and humidity both in the 90's, at the hottest time of day, the second game of the semis, the first being a snoozer between Hopkins and Delaware. Quint K had one of the best extemporaneous broadcasting lines in the first minute when two Duke players converged on Max S while he was clearing in front of the sub box (a Duke player came out and leveled Max with a blind, high hit); QK says "38 seconds have gone by and there's already been more action than in the entire first game").
-Given the heat, Coach T played lots of players --- Mike Corbolotti and Christian Pastirik who rarely received PT during the season, both scored in Cornell's comeback, down 10-3 late in the 3rd. Cornell finally tied the game at 11-11 when Clayton score in transition with 17 seconds left. Duke's players were cramping and the goalie and defense were in disarray. I remember telling my son at the time, "we're going to steal this one."
-The (great) John Glynn had a terrific day facing off (Siebold and Schmicker both took a few) and dominated Duke's FOGO. Something I noticed on tape that I didn't see live (from a lousy seat in the corner at M & T) was that Glynn who was beating Molinari to the clamp, seemed to hesitate on the clamp (?-exhausted, lost concentration), resulting in a scramble and a Duke possession...and score by Zack Greer (with Danny Nathan draped over him) in a totally unsettled situation. A very sudden, unexpected ending to what looked at the time, given the total momentum shift, an inevitable Cornell win.
***I highly recommend watching it - if it's available on YouTube (I own a video). One thing that really stands out to me was that despite the absence of a shot clock, much of the game was end to end, lots of transition, despite tremendous heat.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Kirst, not surprisingly, coming along as a box player:https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -cup/61857

Mimico (3) Beats Whitby (6) 3-0

The Warriors were the defending Minto Cup champions but Mimico controlled this series fairly handily, putting up wins of 11-6, 14-11 and 11-5. The series was notable for the continued evolution of CJ Kirst. The native of Bernardsville, New Jersey and younger brother of siblings making the family name well known in the lacrosse world took another step in his growth as a box player. Kirst led the Mountaineers with 8 goals and was third on the team with 15 points, just behind well-established stars Justin Lee (6g/12a/18pts) and Finn Thomson (6g/11a/17pts). Kirst will be eligible for the NLL draft next year. Teaser: he just may be on the list of 10 Intriguing Prospects for that draft that will drop on IL Indoor tomorrow.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

From the same article AF cites:
In one of the least surprising developments you'll see, reigning league MVP Willem Firth (who is a finalist for the award again this year), scored 5 goals to lead the Beaches to an 8-6 win. The difference wound up being Firth scoring the only 2 goals of the first period, as each of the second and third was tied 3-3. Andrew Kidd made 29 saves to earn the win while Evan Constantopopoulos stopped 31 of the 39 shots he faced.
Toronto was in control for most of Game 3, leading 5-2 after the first period and extending that lead to 10-3 in the final seven minutes of the second. Oakville fought back to close within 10-8. But Firth, who had 5 assists but had not scored a goal to that point, went back to back to make the final score 12-10.
Now if Firth makes the transition to field lacrosse as well as Kurst seems to be making the transition to box, Cornell fans will have much to cheer about next spring.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Firth and Collison move on,
as has been mentioned often, those two team up very well.

Unfortunately (or maybe not), they move on to face Spallina, Marquis, Matthews, Trey Deere - lots of talent.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:09 pm On a recent rainy Maine weekend, I had the pleasure (for the most part) of watching the tape of one of the most memorable Cornell lax games I've attended - the 2007 semis vs. Duke. Some great memories, except for the last 3+ seconds. Cornell came in undefeated at 15-0, and was shafted with a #4 seed, with Duke the #1.
It's hard to compare different generations across sports in general, but this may have been the strongest Cornell team in the post-Moran era:
Mids: Siebold, John Glynn, and Brian Clayton + Casey Mitchell, Rocco Romero, and John Espy
-Matt McMonagle in Goal
-An absolutely outstanding defense of Mitch Belisle, Ethan Vedder, Matt Moyer, Nick Gradinger, Danny Nathan, and George Calvert
The game was played with the temperature and humidity both in the 90's, at the hottest time of day, the second game of the semis, the first being a snoozer between Hopkins and Delaware. Quint K had one of the best extemporaneous broadcasting lines in the first minute when two Duke players converged on Max S while he was clearing in front of the sub box (a Duke player came out and leveled Max with a blind, high hit); QK says "38 seconds have gone by and there's already been more action than in the entire first game").
-Given the heat, Coach T played lots of players --- Mike Corbolotti and Christian Pastirik who rarely received PT during the season, both scored in Cornell's comeback, down 10-3 late in the 3rd. Cornell finally tied the game at 11-11 when Clayton score in transition with 17 seconds left. Duke's players were cramping and the goalie and defense were in disarray. I remember telling my son at the time, "we're going to steal this one."
-The (great) John Glynn had a terrific day facing off (Siebold and Schmicker both took a few) and dominated Duke's FOGO. Something I noticed on tape that I didn't see live (from a lousy seat in the corner at M & T) was that Glynn who was beating Molinari to the clamp, seemed to hesitate on the clamp (?-exhausted, lost concentration), resulting in a scramble and a Duke possession...and score by Zack Greer (with Danny Nathan draped over him) in a totally unsettled situation. A very sudden, unexpected ending to what looked at the time, given the total momentum shift, an inevitable Cornell win.
***I highly recommend watching it - if it's available on YouTube (I own a video). One thing that really stands out to me was that despite the absence of a shot clock, much of the game was end to end, lots of transition, despite tremendous heat.
Seibald
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:29 am
VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:09 pm On a recent rainy Maine weekend, I had the pleasure (for the most part) of watching the tape of one of the most memorable Cornell lax games I've attended - the 2007 semis vs. Duke. Some great memories, except for the last 3+ seconds. Cornell came in undefeated at 15-0, and was shafted with a #4 seed, with Duke the #1.
-Matt McMonagle in Goal
Seibald
He's one of my favorites - except that one day a year filled with hatred
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Finster

Post by Finster »

Big Red fans,

I attended the North South All American game last night at Hopkins.

I’m telling you this kid Tully (goalie) is going to be an impact player at Cornell. Goalies on these games don’t have great stat lines for obvious reasons, so take it from me this kid is an athlete with really good field awareness.

He’s going to be an important piece of your program.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No Willem Firth in this game, I was looking forward to seeing Firth go against top incoming players,

Tweet

Ty Xanders

@tyxanders
The face-off for tonight’s
@NewBalanceLax
Senior All-American Game has been bumped to 8:30 on
@ESPNU
. While we wait, some injury & replacement notes:
-For North, Leo Hoffman (M/@PennMensLax), Andrew Greenspan (FO/@NDlacrosse) and Willem Firth (A/@CornellLacrosse) are out.
Hoffman’s injury is the most severe,
a dislocated shoulder suffered last month.
-For South, Sean Creter (FO/@TerpsMLax) and Donny Scott (D/@CuseMLAX) are out, with Scott having suffered a torn ACL while playing box last month.
-Jake Melchionni (LSM/@NovaLacrosse) and Kyle Foster (D/@OhioStateMLAX) have been added as replacements
8:00 PM · Jul 29, 2023

Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Attack/Mid AJ Nikolic out of Malvern was listed on the South Roster but I never saw him on the ESPNU broadcast. Was he another scratch? Yale recruit Moynahan could be a problem.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Philly Lacrosse has the box score,

Nikolic and Tully stats are listed,

https://phillylacrosse.com/2023/lehman- ... rica-game/
Finster

Post by Finster »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:22 am Philly Lacrosse has the box score,

Nikolic and Tully stats are listed,

https://phillylacrosse.com/2023/lehman- ... rica-game/

Goalie stats in a game like this can be deceptive. What stood out to me about Tully was his foot speed, ground ball anticipation, outlet passes, and obviously hand reflex. I’ve been trying to figure out who he reminds me of but can’t quite put a name to it. He’s a southpaw for one. I guess sort of like Will Mark at Cuse. I don’t know Cornell’s goal situation well but if I were a D1 coach, I’d love to have this kid. You can just tell he’ll do great.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ontario Junior Lacrosse League
@TheOJLL
The finalists for the Green Gaels Trophy in memory of Dennis McIntosh, presented annually to the OJLL MVP:

🏆 Finlay Thomson (@MimicoJrALax)

🏆 Chris Origlieri (@JrANorthmen)

🏆 Willem Firth (@BeachesJrA)

#OJLLAwards will be presented during the Ontario Final August 2-13, 2023.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Box will be eligible for Junior year commitment in a month,
IL
Hopper, Mezzatesta, Box, Martin Among Standouts at NAL
Thursday August 3rd, 2023 10:15am

Ty's Standouts
Brian Box ’25, M, Marple Newtown (Pa.) | Team Ten
Jake Bickel ’25, A/M, Malvern Prep (Pa.) | Team Ten
Although their squad showed tremendous balance on offense, Bickel and Box were the mainstays and have differing skill sets that complement each other well. After running out of the box as part of a loaded rising junior class for the Friars, Bickel lined up at attack and was a steady and savvy presence who shot the ball particularly well. With ideal size for the next level, he turned the corner and got up the hash for high percentage scoring opportunities but also did a nice job distributing.

Box, meanwhile, is an excitable and two-way threat who does a lot of things well and has an awesome first step. The left-hander dodges and shoots hard, and embraces his work as a shortstick defender on the other end and is a tremendous asset in transition.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:23 pm Box will be eligible for Junior year commitment in a month,
IL
Hopper, Mezzatesta, Box, Martin Among Standouts at NAL
Thursday August 3rd, 2023 10:15am

Ty's Standouts
Brian Box ’25, M, Marple Newtown (Pa.) | Team Ten
Jake Bickel ’25, A/M, Malvern Prep (Pa.) | Team Ten
Although their squad showed tremendous balance on offense, Bickel and Box were the mainstays and have differing skill sets that complement each other well. After running out of the box as part of a loaded rising junior class for the Friars, Bickel lined up at attack and was a steady and savvy presence who shot the ball particularly well. With ideal size for the next level, he turned the corner and got up the hash for high percentage scoring opportunities but also did a nice job distributing.

Box, meanwhile, is an excitable and two-way threat who does a lot of things well and has an awesome first step. The left-hander dodges and shoots hard, and embraces his work as a shortstick defender on the other end and is a tremendous asset in transition.
Wonder if Jake is related to Travis of the taxi driving fame?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

“You talking to me?”
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:25 pm “You talking to me?”
There's nobody else here. :twisted:
another fan

Post by another fan »

Fall scrimmage 10/20 vs. Maryland in Ithaca.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

I'm surprised the freshman class announcement has yet to be posted on the Cornell Athletics' website, and the roster has yet to be updated to include the new class.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”