Re: Brown 2024

Post by bearlaxfan »

The "poach" story.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:43 pm
The "poach" story.
Rooting for a program that has both been a “flipper” and a “flippee” school, there’s no question that it is not fun to be on the losing end of a flip. I think all have commendably stayed away from blaming the young man, and there has generally been good recognition that this is the system that exists and that it helps promote meaningful flexibility for players.

With that said, this is a small sport that’s about relationships. The “doth protest too much” nature of the Inside Lacrosse article (Lars would never recruit the Brown commit, he deputized Cassese to do it etc. etc.) in my opinion shows that UVA’s current HC is aware that this move, while perfectly appropriate and allowed, doesn’t put him in the best light only in the specific context that he has positioned himself as being above the fray/all about values. (Or, if you’re a bit sharper edged/tongued, like me, he’s frequently had a ‘holier than thou’ vibe over the years.) For me, a simple “this is a great player and he wanted to play for UVA — we’ll always listen when that’s the case” would be much preferred to the Inside Lacrosse “at Mr. Jefferson’s University, when we poach a player, we poach him the RIGHT WAY” approach.

Lastly, good deployment of satire by Counsellor, I enjoyed his post.
baylax72

Post by baylax72 »

Agreed. I got a laugh out of the “adamant about being involved as little as possible” line. He’s the head coach, he was very involved.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

baylax72 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:49 pm Agreed. I got a laugh out of the “adamant about being involved as little as possible” line. He’s the head coach, he was very involved.
It reminded me of the dialogue in the movie “A Few Good Men”: “Your honor, the defense strenuously objects!” https://youtu.be/ecGVkPXFXAs?si=FzgC5-mpl5Tv2_S6
baylax72

Post by baylax72 »

:lol: :lol: good stuff
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:54 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:43 pm
The "poach" story.
For me, a simple “this is a great player and he wanted to play for UVA — we’ll always listen when that’s the case” would be much preferred to the Inside Lacrosse “at Mr. Jefferson’s University, when we poach a player, we poach him the RIGHT WAY” approach.
Well, maybe you would have preferred that answer, but I’m guessing if he had given it, most Bruno faithful would still have found a way to sh-t on Lars. When you’re out for blood, the details mean very little. For example, there have also been reports from knowledgeable posters on other boards that say the kid opened his recruiting 2 weeks ago and initiated contact with the UVa staff who was willing to listen. If you think the kid is lying about UVa being his dream school all along, then thats a different take all together. Lars certainly did not have to “step out of the recruitment” (or at least say that he was to the kid.) Seems he did that out of respect for the same people who are trashing him right now. Just my take; It is almost certainly a biased one, but as someone mentioned in this thread, that’s fandom for you.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

I support Larken Kemp who was infuriated with this gambit by LT.....Coda and Orfling have it right about the timing of the decision to flip....Brown has been precluded from accessing 100's of available recruits a long time ago when this kid's "commitment" was pledged......many schools, including Brown, require that "early decision" applicants accept an offered commitment if provided; not one able to be legally enforced; but expected as a moral one and to my knowledge respected by those offered....it may very well be that this player approached LT .....especially considering the timing (aside from the alum circumstance) the response could have been to decline respectfully (that word again) the interest....now that would have been impressive....now we merely have another "grab" .....no honor among thieves.......candidly, not surprising; but still disappointing.......
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I keep putting poach in " " because this is another tempest in a teapot. The kid is apparently an excellent high school soph and junior lacrosse player. What percentage of 5*s project accurately? IDK, but is it >50%? Doubt it. Let's see. I wish him well.

I find Lars' ethical gymnastics 😂😂😂.
We're all the stars in our own movie, and have our self-image... er... delusions, but geez!
: "“It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it." -Upton Sinclair"
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Counselor wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:04 am I support Larken Kemp who was infuriated with this gambit by LT.....Coda and Orfling have it right about the timing of the decision to flip....Brown has been precluded from accessing 100's of available recruits a long time ago when this kid's "commitment" was pledged......many schools, including Brown, require that "early decision" applicants accept an offered commitment if provided; not one able to be legally enforced; but expected as a moral one and to my knowledge respected by those offered....it may very well be that this player approached LT .....especially considering the timing (aside from the alum circumstance) the response could have been to decline respectfully (that word again) the interest....now that would have been impressive....now we merely have another "grab" .....no honor among thieves.......candidly, not surprising; but still disappointing.......
so you would prefer the kid have been blocked from going to his "dream school" , as the rules intended, to placate a few of you and Larken Kemp??? That's a really good look for you all..... The kid showed some real maturity in going up to Providence with his Dad to tell the staff in person that he was decommitting.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Of course, in the end he should go where he will be happiest.

If UVA was always his dream school, I wonder why he did not commit there in the first place. Perhaps he felt family pressure for Brown based on prior relationships, but that's only speculation. Good luck to him.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Yeah, I’m guessing it’s because he had three cousins there, and this lead to at least some internal or external pressure to attend as well. Seems more than plausible to me.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

You guys are hilarious :lol:

In which world would any competent head coach of a D1 team vying for a national title decline the #6 recruit in the country due to alumni ties? Regardless of his alumni connections to Brown, it would be idiotic not to take on such a talented recruit.

I can empathize with the frustration surrounding Lars's attempt to conceal the fact that he recruited a player from Brown, attributing it to Coach Cassese. However, it's hard to blame Lars for accepting a player who clearly had a strong desire to join UVA.
tmast33

Post by tmast33 »

Let's not overlook the temperature on campus. The last season was derailed by the suspension of several varsity players who were at a party. I think a cousin may have been part of that suspension. Since the early 70's the Brown community has been a tough environment for "jocks".
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

tmast33 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:39 pm Let's not overlook the temperature on campus. The last season was derailed by the suspension of several varsity players who were at a party. I think a cousin may have been part of that suspension. Since the early 70's the Brown community has been a tough environment for "jocks".
I think this is one of those factoids that just has way too long a half-life. Brown students aren't rah-rah, but when 1of every 7 students is a D1 athlete, I don't see a tough environment for the young people.
Hope the format posts o.k., these sorts of charts usually don't.

L to R admission rate, undergrad pop, D1 athletes, athlete % of undergrads. From undated article, but recent.

Brown 9% 6,556 892 14%
Columbia 7% 7,552 753 10%
Cornell 14% 14,461 1,120 8%
Dartmouth 11% 4,230 903 21%
Harvard 5% 6,931 1,070 15%
Penn 9% 10,231 891 9%
Princeton 7% 5,236 1,067 20%
Yale 6% 5,468 849 16%
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

For starters, the LT “recusal” is a really bad look. Yes, he has a right to earn a living, but there was no need to hide behind KC. Just say: Hey, I’m trying to win. I’m a super competitive guy and my job depends on it.

Whether or not UVA was in fact always the dream school of HH, my guess is that the more important factor was Brown’s fall from the highs of the 2022 season to the lows of the 2023 campaign. HH was part of a very strong recruiting class of ‘24 HS players who were impressed with Brown winning the Ivies and reaching #5 in the national polls in 2022, a few months before they all committed. Unfortunately, the turning point came 10 months later with the suspension of seven seniors for a noise complaint in March 2023. That group included HH’s cousin. The timeline is unfortunate for the Brown coaching staff. Consider this sequence of events that went from making Brown an exciting destination for HH to a more difficult decision:

* Brown beat Virginia in the last game of the shortened 2020 season.
* Brown won its only game of the 2021 season.
* Down the stretch of the 2022 season, Brown pulls off a Cinderella run of five straight wins.
* The streak included wins over #8 Penn, #5 Yale and #8 Cornell (the eventual national runner-up).
* The run catapults Brown from unranked in the IL Week 8 poll to #5 in the Week 11 poll.
* That made Brown the top ranked Ivy team in the nation and put them just behind Virginia at #4.
* Brown wins a share of the Ivy regular season title.
* Brown earns an NCAA home play-off game.
* Brown fans pack the tailgates and the stands (3,200+) for the May 14, 2022 playoff game vs. Virginia.
* Many commentators say that the Brown atmosphere was the most electric of the weekend playoff games. Good chance HH was in attendance given family connections and Brunswick had no game that day.
* Brown was tied with Virginia 9-9 halfway through the third quarter before UVA pulled away.
* Brown staff enjoys its best recruiting success in recent memory (ever?) during the summer of 2022.
* Sept 27, 2022 HH commits to Brown.
* Brown starts the 2023 season 3-1 (fluky 11-10 loss to Quinnipiac in the opener)
* March 9, 2023 – IL publishes the story explaining that the cousin of HH is among 7 Brown seniors suspended for several games for a noise complaint at an off campus party. (Absurdity!)
* March 11, 2023 – Missing the seniors, UNC trounces Brown 19-6 (10-2 at halftime).
* Following the suspensions, Brown goes 2-7 until beating Dartmouth in the last game of the season.
* Brown finishes the year 6-8 overall and 2-4 in the Ivies.
* Virginia makes the 2023 Final Four for the third time in four seasons and loses in OT of the semis to ND, the eventual national champion.
* October 23, 2023 – HH decommits from Brown in favor of Virginia.

The Brown coaching staff is excellent, but that spring 2023 party incident was a killer, and largely beyond their control. In the eyes of an 18-year-old, this was probably a double whammy in that (a) it partially caused Brown to have a very disappointing season; and (b) it planted a seed that Brown was not a fun place to enjoy a social life if his cousin could be suspended for a noise complaint. Huge year for Brown upcoming in 2024. Facilities are excellent and getting even better. Support from admissions seems strong. Alumni support is great. Now they need to bounce back and prove it on the field with a very difficult schedule in 2024. Pressure is a privilege!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:16 pm For starters, the LT “recusal” is a really bad look. Yes, he has a right to earn a living, but there was no need to hide behind KC. Just say: Hey, I’m trying to win. I’m a super competitive guy and my job depends on it.

Whether or not UVA was in fact always the dream school of HH, my guess is that the more important factor was Brown’s fall from the highs of the 2022 season to the lows of the 2023 campaign. HH was part of a very strong recruiting class of ‘24 HS players who were impressed with Brown winning the Ivies and reaching #5 in the national polls in 2022, a few months before they all committed. Unfortunately, the turning point came 10 months later with the suspension of seven seniors for a noise complaint in March 2023. That group included HH’s cousin. The timeline is unfortunate for the Brown coaching staff. Consider this sequence of events that went from making Brown an exciting destination for HH to a more difficult decision:

* Brown beat Virginia in the last game of the shortened 2020 season.
* Brown won its only game of the 2021 season.
* Down the stretch of the 2022 season, Brown pulls off a Cinderella run of five straight wins.
* The streak included wins over #8 Penn, #5 Yale and #8 Cornell (the eventual national runner-up).
* The run catapults Brown from unranked in the IL Week 8 poll to #5 in the Week 11 poll.
* That made Brown the top ranked Ivy team in the nation and put them just behind Virginia at #4.
* Brown wins a share of the Ivy regular season title.
* Brown earns an NCAA home play-off game.
* Brown fans pack the tailgates and the stands (3,200+) for the May 14, 2022 playoff game vs. Virginia.
* Many commentators say that the Brown atmosphere was the most electric of the weekend playoff games. Good chance HH was in attendance given family connections and Brunswick had no game that day.
* Brown was tied with Virginia 9-9 halfway through the third quarter before UVA pulled away.
* Brown staff enjoys its best recruiting success in recent memory (ever?) during the summer of 2022.
* Sept 27, 2022 HH commits to Brown.
* Brown starts the 2023 season 3-1 (fluky 11-10 loss to Quinnipiac in the opener)
* March 9, 2023 – IL publishes the story explaining that the cousin of HH is among 7 Brown seniors suspended for several games for a noise complaint at an off campus party. (Absurdity!)
* March 11, 2023 – Missing the seniors, UNC trounces Brown 19-6 (10-2 at halftime).
* Following the suspensions, Brown goes 2-7 until beating Dartmouth in the last game of the season.
* Brown finishes the year 6-8 overall and 2-4 in the Ivies.
* Virginia makes the 2023 Final Four for the third time in four seasons and loses in OT of the semis to ND, the eventual national champion.
* October 23, 2023 – HH decommits from Brown in favor of Virginia.

The Brown coaching staff is excellent, but that spring 2023 party incident was a killer, and largely beyond their control. In the eyes of an 18-year-old, this was probably a double whammy in that (a) it partially caused Brown to have a very disappointing season; and (b) it planted a seed that Brown was not a fun place to enjoy a social life if his cousin could be suspended for a noise complaint. Huge year for Brown upcoming in 2024. Facilities are excellent and getting even better. Support from admissions seems strong. Alumni support is great. Now they need to bounce back and prove it on the field with a very difficult schedule in 2024. Pressure is a privilege!
I know this is a small segement of the Brown fan base, but You guys just can't let it go, pivoting back to attacking Lars. Who cares what he said about the recusal? He did what any other D1 coach would have done, in the same circumstances, and there is nothing wrong with it. The kid decided that he didn't want to go to Brown. Lars biggest mistake is feeling guilty about something, he need not feel guilty about and showing that weakness.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lars is actually a very small piece of the above writeup,

its much more about what is going on with Brown’s program and not specifically Hausmann,

personally I believe Brown is in an enviable position vis the Ivies.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Turning the page... any thoughts on the new Ivy schedule's order?
Being honest, while the program in Hanover is clearly improving, finishing the year vs Dartmouth has been a pretty certain W; an insurance policy to correct any "oh s#i+" from earlier in the year, to bump the record to qualify for the league tourney. Every game counts no matter when, but that breathing space is gone now (would be gone anyway if Big Green's ^ trend continues.)
The Brown games vs Cornell & Dartmouth move up a few weeks, but the New England & New York Ivies are used to dealing with potential nasty weather, that shouldn't matter like it would if a traditional ACC team had to visit Ithaca or Hanover.
Chipzhoo

Post by Chipzhoo »

Lars is very transparent about recruiting and poaching - more so than most coaches. His attempt at deference to his alma mater (imo) is laudable and not hypocrisy and/or weakness.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... fany/61967
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:26 pm
tmast33 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:39 pm Let's not overlook the temperature on campus. The last season was derailed by the suspension of several varsity players who were at a party. I think a cousin may have been part of that suspension. Since the early 70's the Brown community has been a tough environment for "jocks".
I think this is one of those factoids that just has way too long a half-life. Brown students aren't rah-rah, but when 1of every 7 students is a D1 athlete, I don't see a tough environment for the young people.
Hope the format posts o.k., these sorts of charts usually don't.

L to R admission rate, undergrad pop, D1 athletes, athlete % of undergrads. From undated article, but recent.

Brown 9% 6,556 892 14%
Columbia 7% 7,552 753 10%
Cornell 14% 14,461 1,120 8%
Dartmouth 11% 4,230 903 21%
Harvard 5% 6,931 1,070 15%
Penn 9% 10,231 891 9%
Princeton 7% 5,236 1,067 20%
Yale 6% 5,468 849 16%
not recent. Dartmouth's acceptance rate in 2023 is 6%. Brown's was 5.1%. All of the Ivies have had plummeting acceptance rates as applications have risen. The proportion of athletes as a percentage of student body is about right.

But the relative order of acceptance rate is fine: https://prepory.com/blog/ivy-league-acc ... ates-2023/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”