Yale 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Yale 2024

Post by FannOLax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:34 am Didn’t see him mentioned but anyone notice if Brody Coleman is playing after I guess a rough leg injury last year?

And would love to hear more color on platter if folks have it. Just spent a week on Candaigua Lake and we’ve got his fellow Close D member and HS goalie in Geneva.
Some of his relatives were sitting right in front of me, but I believe he didn't play. Four or five players were dressed in sweatsuits on the sidelines, and I think Brody was among them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:34 am Didn’t see him mentioned but anyone notice if Brody Coleman is playing after I guess a rough leg injury last year?

And would love to hear more color on platter if folks have it. Just spent a week on Candaigua Lake and we’ve got his fellow Close D member and HS goalie in Geneva.
Some of his relatives were sitting right in front of me, but I believe he didn't play. Four or five players were dressed in sweatsuits on the sidelines, and I think Brody was among them.
Thanks. Rooting for him-seems like coming in he was a perfect athlete for Shay.

Meant Platten not Platter earlier as well
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I've listened to Andy Shay on a couple podcasts, I think one was with Quint K., and the most recent was with Terry Foy from Inside Lacrosse about recruiting. Shay described the recruiting limitations he had early in his tenure at Yale, when he was allowed to bring in only 7 kids per recruiting class. According to Shay, they ended up winning the Ivy league (not sure if he meant tournament or reg season) with a graduating class of 5 kids, because two had to retire from lacrosse due to injuries. I don't know what year he was referring to. I may re-listen. I don't know if admissions at other Ivy's were similar at this time, but that would be a remarkable achievement. I can understand better the praise he received now that I know the context better.

I may go back and re-listen to the podcast with Quint, because on the IL podcast Shay is not a good listen, but I remember enjoying the podcast with Quint. I think Quint and Shay started to talk about the history of lacrosse and players from the past, and that opened Shay up. Kind of like when Bill Belichick starts talking about football history his facial expressions change and he seems so much happier.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:02 am I've listened to Andy Shay on a couple podcasts, I think one was with Quint K., and the most recent was with Terry Foy from Inside Lacrosse about recruiting. Shay described the recruiting limitations he had early in his tenure at Yale, when he was allowed to bring in only 7 kids per recruiting class. According to Shay, they ended up winning the Ivy league (not sure if he meant tournament or reg season) with a graduating class of 5 kids, because two had to retire from lacrosse due to injuries. I don't know what year he was referring to. I may re-listen. I don't know if admissions at other Ivy's were similar at this time, but that would be a remarkable achievement. I can understand better the praise he received now that I know the context better.

I may go back and re-listen to the podcast with Quint, because on the IL podcast Shay is not a good listen, but I remember enjoying the podcast with Quint. I think Quint and Shay started to talk about the history of lacrosse and players from the past, and that opened Shay up. Kind of like when Bill Belichick starts talking about football history his facial expressions change and he seems so much happier.
It wasn't clear to many he was going to last in the first five years of his time there and now a little patience and support (and thievery from my crew in Geneva!)....
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:02 am I've listened to Andy Shay on a couple podcasts, I think one was with Quint K., and the most recent was with Terry Foy from Inside Lacrosse about recruiting. Shay described the recruiting limitations he had early in his tenure at Yale, when he was allowed to bring in only 7 kids per recruiting class. According to Shay, they ended up winning the Ivy league (not sure if he meant tournament or reg season) with a graduating class of 5 kids, because two had to retire from lacrosse due to injuries. I don't know what year he was referring to. I may re-listen. I don't know if admissions at other Ivy's were similar at this time, but that would be a remarkable achievement. I can understand better the praise he received now that I know the context better.

Those early Ivy League titles were tournament titles. Usually the 4th team in during those days.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Maybe we should put Yale back onto page 1 around here. I promise to talk lacrosse, but first, congratulations to the Yale men's soccer team on winning the Ivy tourney and qualifying the NCAAs where Bryant will be the first-round opponent. A 4-0 semi-final win over Harvard was followed by a 2-1 win ovr Brown to take the Ivy title.

Lacrosse: given the ability of big-name non-Ivies to attract graduate transfers, and probably also more undergrad transfers than the Ivies get, any optimism for Yale must be tempered by caution. Yet, in 2024 we'll be seeing Brandau, Bragg and others playing for the Elis rather than turning out for Denver or Notre Dame. Yes, there's a big question mark looming over the defense.... but everyone returns from last year, while the D looked strong in fall ball, albeit against opposition that didn't qualify for the most recent NCAA tourney. Still, I think that extra year of experience, plus the emphasis Shay and staff must be putting on defense, will translate into an improved defense, with the rope unit led by Stuzin especially stronger. Stuzin was an 2023 Honorable Mention All American, and perhaps the election of SSDM/2-way middie Hackler as captain says something about the 2024 team's focus. For me, a big key in 2024 will be the FOGO production.Ramsey and Rodriguez return for their 3rd years in Yale blue, having received plenty of PT and shown well in 2022 and 2023; it wouldn't shock me if first-year Lon Guylander Annunziata works his way into the FOGO mix. Yes, the first-years looked really good on fall-ball day. I'm not going to make predictions, but I think the 2024 Elis could surprise to the upside. Hope I didn't babble on too much. Happy Thanksgiving!
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:02 pm Maybe we should put Yale back onto page 1 around here. I promise to talk lacrosse, but first, congratulations to the Yale men's soccer team on winning the Ivy tourney and qualifying the NCAAs where Bryant will be the first-round opponent. A 4-0 semi-final win over Harvard was followed by a 2-1 win ovr Brown to take the Ivy title.

Lacrosse: given the ability of big-name non-Ivies to attract graduate transfers, and probably also more undergrad transfers than the Ivies get, any optimism for Yale must be tempered by caution. Yet, in 2024 we'll be seeing Brandau, Bragg and others playing for the Elis rather than turning out for Denver or Notre Dame. Yes, there's a big question mark looming over the defense.... but everyone returns from last year, while the D looked strong in fall ball, albeit against opposition that didn't qualify for the most recent NCAA tourney. Still, I think that extra year of experience, plus the emphasis Shay and staff must be putting on defense, will translate into an improved defense, with the rope unit led by Stuzin especially stronger. Stuzin was an 2023 Honorable Mention All American, and perhaps the election of SSDM/2-way middie Hackler as captain says something about the 2024 team's focus. For me, a big key in 2024 will be the FOGO production.Ramsey and Rodriguez return for their 3rd years in Yale blue, having received plenty of PT and shown well in 2022 and 2023; it wouldn't shock me if first-year Lon Guylander Annunziata works his way into the FOGO mix. Yes, the first-years looked really good on fall-ball day. I'm not going to make predictions, but I think the 2024 Elis could surprise to the upside. Hope I didn't babble on too much. Happy Thanksgiving!
Stunning!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:02 pm Maybe we should put Yale back onto page 1 around here. I promise to talk lacrosse, but first, congratulations to the Yale men's soccer team on winning the Ivy tourney and qualifying the NCAAs where Bryant will be the first-round opponent. A 4-0 semi-final win over Harvard was followed by a 2-1 win ovr Brown to take the Ivy title.

Great round-up, Fann, and those predictions sound eminently reasonable. I am justa little slow tonight -- I was thinking to myself 'I thought the first-year FOGO's name was Anthony, not Lon.' (I did get there in the end.)
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

A Beckhamesque goal by Rogers from over 50 yards out with less than two minutes remaining in the game gave the Yale men's soccer team its first NCAA tourney win of the millenium, 1-0 over Bryant in Rhode Island.

As for lacrosse, the Elis' EMO has room for improvement. I's like to see Sheehan join the starting attack line, Bragg and one another middie.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:01 am A Beckhamesque goal by Rogers from over 50 yards out with less than two minutes remaining in the game gave the Yale men's soccer team its first NCAA tourney win of the millenium, 1-0 over Bryant in Rhode Island.

As for lacrosse, the Elis' EMO has room for improvement. I's like to see Sheehan join the starting attack line, Bragg and one another middie.
Thanks for the soccer updates — that’s exciting that Yale advanced to the second round. I had a hazy memory of attending an NCAA tournament round 1 Yale v. Harvard soccer game that coincided with The Game and looked up the records to confirm that Harvard beat Yale on penalty kicks in 1986. (I believe we won the “other” football game that weekend, however.).

Agree on EMO — 2023 was somewhat of a regression — it seemed like teams had game-planned for “the Human Howitzer” Thomas Bragg — the EMO got better as the season went on and Yale adjusted but overall wasn’t as much of a weapon as in 2022. Interesting idea re: Sheehan.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Whew! The Game was quite a game. Congratulations to the Yale football team for beating the Crimson to grab a share of the Ivy title.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:58 pm Whew! The Game was quite a game. Congratulations to the Yale football team for beating the Crimson to grab a share of the Ivy title.
Yes, congratulations to the 150th football team... and to the Yale men's soccer team, whose season ended tonight on Long Island. The soccer and lacrosse teams get to play in the NCAAs, Ivy basketball teams get to play in the mega-$$ NCAA tourney and the old-school NIT. I hope the League re-considers its stance against football post-season play.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:14 pm 'I thought the first-year FOGO's name was Anthony, not Lon.' (I did get there in the end.)
I always spell it "Lawn Geiland".
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Yale is always fairly late to post their schedule but I see from opponent schedules that Denver and Villanova are back as OOC games; curious to see if old OOC reliables UMass, BU, and Albany return, and whether Penn State or another Big 10 team will be on the schedule.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:18 am Yale is always fairly late to post their schedule but I see from opponent schedules that Denver and Villanova are back as OOC games; curious to see if old OOC reliables UMass, BU, and Albany return, and whether Penn State or another Big 10 team will be on the schedule.
Boston U has been a post-pandemic regular. The Ivy schedule re-shuffle could affect the bye weekend and thus Yale's Albany game. UMass seems carved in stone. Hope Penn State is back in 2024, and would love to see Michigan again (as in 2018, 2019 and last game played in 2020). Rutgers? Merrimack? Quinnipiac and / or Fairfield?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yale appears on Penn State's schedule as the March 2 Saturday game. Yale's previous schedules had UMass that weekend. PSU-Yale had been a February game starting in 2019.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:05 am Yale appears on Penn State's schedule as the March 2 Saturday game. Yale's previous schedules had UMass that weekend. PSU-Yale had been a February game starting in 2019.
Ivy League schedules have been revamped. Yale may be managing around it.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:32 pm
FannOLax wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:05 am Yale appears on Penn State's schedule as the March 2 Saturday game. Yale's previous schedules had UMass that weekend. PSU-Yale had been a February game starting in 2019.
Ivy League schedules have been revamped. Yale may be managing around it.
Colgate's schedule shows Yale on Feb 21. Colgate was part of Yale's 2017/18 fall-ball day, but I don't recall any official games between these two.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

https://yalebulldogs.com/sports/mens-la ... edule/2024
February 3, 2024 Home Scrimmage: Fairfield & Hobart
February 10, 2024 Home Scrimmage YWesleyan & Adelphi
February 17, 2024 Home Villanova
February 21, 2024 TBD Colgate
March 2, 2024 Away Penn State
March 10, 2024 Away Denver
March 16, 2024 Home Harvard
March 23, 2024 Away Cornell
March 26, 2024 Home LeMoyne
March 30, 2024 Away Brown
April 6, 2024 Home Penn
April 9, 2024 Away Boston U
April 13, 2024 Away Dartmouth
April 16, 2024 Away Hofstra
April 20, 2024 Home Albany
April 27, 2024 Home Princeton
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:43 pm https://yalebulldogs.com/sports/mens-la ... edule/2024
February 3, 2024 Home Scrimmage: Fairfield & Hobart
February 10, 2024 Home Scrimmage YWesleyan & Adelphi
February 17, 2024 Home Villanova
February 21, 2024 TBD Colgate
March 2, 2024 Away Penn State
March 10, 2024 Away Denver
March 16, 2024 Home Harvard
March 23, 2024 Away Cornell
March 26, 2024 Home LeMoyne
March 30, 2024 Away Brown
April 6, 2024 Home Penn
April 9, 2024 Away Boston U
April 13, 2024 Away Dartmouth
April 16, 2024 Away Hofstra
April 20, 2024 Home Albany
April 27, 2024 Home Princeton
Well done, Fann! Thanks for monitoring the schedule release. I'll confess I did not see LeMoyne as a likely opponent. Last year the Elis played 12 regular season games; this year it's 14. UMass is out and Hofstra, Colgate, and LeMoyne are in. I'll miss that annual UMass game -- it was always a good one.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”