Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by jrn19 »

Maryland had more threats. Shellenberger and the threat of Dickinson and Cormier inside made them an incredibly cohesive and deadly unit cause you had to pay so much attention to how they could hurt you behind the cage at X and then inside but they really couldn’t hurt you with much dodging from the midfield or shooting up top. Their 6th leading scorer was Conner who only had 9 goals. They had 7 guys with 10+ goals, Maryland had 10. Maryland could press you in more ways. But UVA’s ball movement and cutting was similar and incredibly efficient
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 am Maryland had more threats. Shellenberger and the threat of Dickinson and Cormier inside made them an incredibly cohesive and deadly unit cause you had to pay so much attention to how they could hurt you behind the cage at X and then inside but they really couldn’t hurt you with much dodging from the midfield or shooting up top. Their 6th leading scorer was Conner who only had 9 goals. They had 7 guys with 10+ goals, Maryland had 10. Maryland could press you in more ways. But UVA’s ball movement and cutting was similar and incredibly efficient
No one last year or this year scored in transition the way the 2022 Terps did. Puglise and Fairman could score off the wings or in full field transition. Wierman, of course, was always a threat. Geppert could stay on the field or lead a fast break.

Their success in transition last year forced everyone this year to prepare for it, and it meant that pretty much every B1G and ACC team this year had worked on their transition defense. That made it really hard for anyone to consistently score in transition this year. Ditto with how Maryland used the sub game last year to gain advantages in early offense. Everyone prepared for it this year, so it because really hard in anyone to take advantage of it this season.

Now everyone is copying Maryland's offense. It makes you wonder what the next frontier is for gaining schematic advantages. Watching how Tills has been recruiting poles, I wonder if the next adaptation will happen on that end of the field.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:55 am
jrn19 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 am Maryland had more threats. Shellenberger and the threat of Dickinson and Cormier inside made them an incredibly cohesive and deadly unit cause you had to pay so much attention to how they could hurt you behind the cage at X and then inside but they really couldn’t hurt you with much dodging from the midfield or shooting up top. Their 6th leading scorer was Conner who only had 9 goals. They had 7 guys with 10+ goals, Maryland had 10. Maryland could press you in more ways. But UVA’s ball movement and cutting was similar and incredibly efficient
No one last year or this year scored in transition the way the 2022 Terps did. Puglise and Fairman could score off the wings or in full field transition. Wierman, of course, was always a threat. Geppert could stay on the field or lead a fast break.

Their success in transition last year forced everyone this year to prepare for it, and it meant that pretty much every B1G and ACC team this year had worked on their transition defense. That made it really hard for anyone to consistently score in transition this year. Ditto with how Maryland used the sub game last year to gain advantages in early offense. Everyone prepared for it this year, so it because really hard in anyone to take advantage of it this season.

Now everyone is copying Maryland's offense. It makes you wonder what the next frontier is for gaining schematic advantages. Watching how Tills has been recruiting poles, I wonder if the next adaptation will happen on that end of the field.
It’s no accident that Maryland had the highest clearing percentage in the nation. Very few teams rode hard against them because of their ability to score in transition last year - teams just went back on defense and dared Maryland to beat them 6-on-6 (and for most of the season the Terps couldn’t). I think they only had a bunch of transition goals once, against Penn State.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Respectfully, I think it is a little holier-than-thou to suggest that everyone is copying Maryland's offense without really backing it up with specifics. I do not think the concepts that make up their offense are some new phenomenon. The main factor was the depth of elite talent on their recent teams, not the perfection of the offensive system IMO.

Unit chemistry, execution, just plain skill when it came to passing and shooting, and most importantly, a heck of a lot of guys who could draw slides and the eyes of the defense off the dodge. These were bigger factors in their massive success than their offensive concepts IMO. When I look back at clips of their O in 2022 the biggest factor to my eyes is the defense feeling the need to keep a close eye on whoever was dodging due to their ability to get separation. Lots of unnecessary hedges, early slides, and ball watching due to the legit threat each man had to score off the dodge. I have said before that I think a key factor was their best shooters and off ball players that year were also very strong dodgers (Wisnauskas, Donville etc).

If you can point to truly specific things that they have introduced over the last 2-3 years and then point to specific instances where other teams this year copied that exact play or concept then I am all ears. I am no expert, but it is not right to just say that everyone is copying maryland without more specific Xs and Os evidence. Would be curious to hear the opinions of actual offensive coordinators on this.

This is not to take anything away from Tillman and co. It takes massive talent as a coach/OC to get the most out of a talented offense. But I don't think it was due to revolutionary new Xs and Os on the offense that outsmarted every team.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:29 am

Respectfully, I think it is a little holier-than-thou to suggest that everyone is copying Maryland's offense without really backing it up with specifics. I do not think the concepts that make up their offense are some new phenomenon. The main factor was the depth of elite talent on their recent teams, not the perfection of the offensive system IMO.

Unit chemistry, execution, just plain skill when it came to passing and shooting, and most importantly, a heck of a lot of guys who could draw slides and the eyes of the defense off the dodge. These were bigger factors in their massive success than their offensive concepts IMO. When I look back at clips of their O in 2022 the biggest factor to my eyes is the defense feeling the need to keep a close eye on whoever was dodging due to their ability to get separation. Lots of unnecessary hedges, early slides, and ball watching due to the legit threat each man had to score off the dodge. I have said before that I think a key factor was their best shooters and off ball players that year were also very strong dodgers (Wisnauskas, Donville etc).

If you can point to truly specific things that they have introduced over the last 2-3 years and then point to specific instances where other teams this year copied that exact play or concept then I am all ears. I am no expert, but it is not right to just say that everyone is copying maryland without more specific Xs and Os evidence. Would be curious to hear the opinions of actual offensive coordinators on this.

This is not to take anything away from Tillman and co. It takes massive talent as a coach/OC to get the most out of a talented offense. But I don't think it was due to revolutionary new Xs and Os on the offense that outsmarted every team.
one of the things that the terps/benson did very well knowing that they could draw slides, hedges and eyes and probably better than anyone before was drift on those and not get greedy on the 1st... one step too far on a hedge and they're drifting away to a more dangerous dodging spot (not necessarily shot that could be bottled by slide bc it was closer to traffic). the perimeter receiver would take even the hedge and make it a slide bc the hedger couldn't recover (now too far away and moving away). this forced additional slides to go &/or panic and opened up lanes inside and slots on the backside and too many d on the carousel... and only one had to be late. ultimately, a lot of hockey assists and overall shooting and assist % goes up.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Tills and JL Reppert completely overhauled Maryland's offense after the 2019 QF loss to UVA. They'd been tinkering with "position less" lacrosse but hadn't fully embraced it. Starting in 2020 (COVID), they did. There aren't set plays, and once the ball gets moving off of the initial set (usually an open set with a pairs concept on the high wing starting everything), there's really no set "play" as much as players moving to open spaces and reacting to what their teammates do. As wgdsr says above, that triggers the rapid ball movement that typifies Maryland's offense. Positions like "attack" and "midfield" don't really mean much in the offense. Everyone has to be able to dodge, pass, or shoot from anywhere. You'll see set plays out of timeouts, but mostly everything else is read and react, even when they intentionally invert someone behind the goal. Denver ran/runs a motion offense, but that offense is a lot like what Benson ran at Hopkins. It wasn't position-less. There were more set patterns. They still wanted the ball to end up in a specific player's stick a lot of times.

UVA didn't fully adopt that offense (the scissor cuts in the middle off dodges from picks behind the goal or up top still trigger their offense), but the rapid ball movement, not holding the ball, dodging off of the pass, fading at X, and the like Lars has said they took from Maryland.

What Maryland did in the sub game last year was unique, but it's been adopted by many teams that have the LSM and shorties capable of playing offense. In the shot clock era, figuring out ways to score in early, mid, and late offense has to be every team's arsenal. Rutgers in 2021 with NASCAR was an early-mid offense. The more you pushed them late in the shot clock, the better. Teams like Loyola and Denver go late in the clock. Maryland's total offense scheme hit all three.

Deemer Class did a video last year showing how unique Maryland's offense was. You can probably still find it, or someone here can post it.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:04 pm

Tills and JL Reppert completely overhauled Maryland's offense after the 2019 QF loss to UVA. They'd been tinkering with "position less" lacrosse but hadn't fully embraced it. Starting in 2020 (COVID), they did. There aren't set plays, and once the ball gets moving off of the initial set (usually an open set with a pairs concept on the high wing starting everything), there's really no set "play" as much as players moving to open spaces and reacting to what their teammates do. As wgdsr says above, that triggers the rapid ball movement that typifies Maryland's offense. Positions like "attack" and "midfield" don't really mean much in the offense. Everyone has to be able to dodge, pass, or shoot from anywhere. You'll see set plays out of timeouts, but mostly everything else is read and react, even when they intentionally invert someone behind the goal. Denver ran/runs a motion offense, but that offense is a lot like what Benson ran at Hopkins. It wasn't position-less. There were more set patterns. They still wanted the ball to end up in a specific player's stick a lot of times.

UVA didn't fully adopt that offense (the scissor cuts in the middle off dodges from picks behind the goal or up top still trigger their offense), but the rapid ball movement, not holding the ball, dodging off of the pass, fading at X, and the like Lars has said they took from Maryland.

What Maryland did in the sub game last year was unique, but it's been adopted by many teams that have the LSM and shorties capable of playing offense. In the shot clock era, figuring out ways to score in early, mid, and late offense has to be every team's arsenal. Rutgers in 2021 with NASCAR was an early-mid offense. The more you pushed them late in the shot clock, the better. Teams like Loyola and Denver go late in the clock. Maryland's total offense scheme hit all three.

Deemer Class did a video last year showing how unique Maryland's offense was. You can probably still find it, or someone here can post it.
I hear you and wgdsr on the positionless offense. Basically the only thing I like about the big 10 camera angle is that you could see the rotations of MD as a unit from overhead. My main point of contention is that there is more than one way to skin an offense. Their methods are not the only way to excel in the modern era. You are not automatically fighting a losing battle by trying a different approach in the modern era.

The national champion this year had Jake Taylor playing basically every minute. He had 3 assists on the season, had maybe 3 or 4 attempts truly at dodging his man all year with maybe only one of those being successful. He is slow, fairly undersized, and does not have a killer shot from long distance. He is a clear example of a player who cannot "dodge pass and shoot from anywhere." And yet they won it all and had one of the most efficient offenses in D1. Duke had a similar situation in Dyson Williams, granted he is a little more intimidating with the ball in his stick. Another guy on the field at all times. I don't have the knowledge either of you have on Xs and Os or offensive coordination, but I think that is enough where we have to hold back on throwing around comments like "Now everyone is copying Maryland." That is not how I would describe the current landscape of offense in college lax, even with some of the most efficient offenses last year.

Would also be curious on that exact quote from Lars. He really said "we took xyz concepts from the MD offense of the past 3 years"?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Taylor is actually one of the best, most likable on that team,
how many injuries, a lot,
a peerless, creative inside game.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:59 pm Taylor is actually one of the best, most likable on that team,
Agreed. And he is all this while being far from a guy who can dodge/pass/shoot from everywhere. Think he shows that the positionless concept has not spread to all elite offenses. He has a specific role, and now he has a natty.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:28 pm

Would also be curious on that exact quote from Lars. He really said "we took xyz concepts from the MD offense of the past 3 years"?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... land/60962

"Tiffany said other elements of Maryland’s successful 2022 offense has been incorporated into the Cavs’ 2023 offense, including drift cuts away from adjacent dodges and two-man slips with UVA’s Mimico duo of Thomas McConvey and Payton Cormier (mirroring Logan Wisnauskas and Anthony DeMaio)."

He also did a podcast where he talked more about the concepts they included.

I agree with you that there's no single way to be successful on offense (or defense) and that you need to recruit players to fit a system and culture.

If I had to guess after yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke incorporate more things that Maryland does on offense just to keep the ball from dying in sticks. That lets defenses get set. It allows defensemen to take better approach angles. It makes slide and recoveries easier. When Tills talks about the change in mindset from 2019 to now, he uses football analogies (line up, set play, 3 yards and a cloud of dust). He talks about the offense by nature being less predictable. If you go back to 2019, the team that really exposed the old offense what Hopkins. Petro set up a scheme that totally crunched the Terps' offense.

On a different Maryland site, people ask about what happened this year. Jrn's been all over the reason why this year...bad shooting. The offense consistently gets really good looks, and Maryland shooters this year weren't accurate. Last season, the Terps were like 65% SOG. This year they were probably 10% lower, and it wasn't because they were taking bad shots. They missed the cage. A lot.

And hit the goalies a lot in the chest. But that's for another time.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:34 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:28 pm

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... land/60962

"Tiffany said other elements of Maryland’s successful 2022 offense has been incorporated into the Cavs’ 2023 offense, including drift cuts away from adjacent dodges and two-man slips with UVA’s Mimico duo of Thomas McConvey and Payton Cormier (mirroring Logan Wisnauskas and Anthony DeMaio)."

He also did a podcast where he talked more about the concepts they included.

I agree with you that there's no single way to be successful on offense (or defense) and that you need to recruit players to fit a system and culture.

If I had to guess after yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke incorporate more things that Maryland does on offense just to keep the ball from dying in sticks. That lets defenses get set. It allows defensemen to take better approach angles. It makes slide and recoveries easier. When Tills talks about the change in mindset from 2019 to now, he uses football analogies (line up, set play, 3 yards and a cloud of dust). He talks about the offense by nature being less predictable. If you go back to 2019, the team that really exposed the old offense what Hopkins. Petro set up a scheme that totally crunched the Terps' offense.

On a different Maryland site, people ask about what happened this year. Jrn's been all over the reason why this year...bad shooting. The offense consistently gets really good looks, and Maryland shooters this year weren't accurate. Last season, the Terps were like 65% SOG. This year they were probably 10% lower, and it wasn't because they were taking bad shots. They missed the cage. A lot.

And hit the goalies a lot in the chest. But that's for another time.
Much appreciated. Seems like clear evidence that he changed his approach based on MD. Find it a little odd that he credits the Demaio and Wisnauskas two man routine/pick slips as the influence rather than just the indoor game in general. There have been several offenses that used them frequently before 2020 in college lax. Certainly those Jesse King era Ohio State teams as well as some Tierney princeton and Denver teams. Even my beloved orange lads had a good thing going there with Rehfuss and Voigt on the left side in 2018/19 and do it a hell of a lot on all sides in the current O, which heavily mimics the indoor game. Maybe something about how MD incorporates it in with the rest of the motion/positionless offense peaked Lars' interest. MD certainly not the pioneers in that specific category but they do use it effectively.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

BJ Burlace transferring to ND. Believe his younger brother will be a freshman at ND
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:59 pm Taylor is actually one of the best, most likable on that team,
i have to ask 10stone, are u practicing haikus or something on here?

not complaining, just curious.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:12 pm
i have to ask 10stone, are u practicing haikus or something on here?

not complaining, just curious.
Hah !
Could be. We had Japanese exchange students for years, actually most times they were literature teachers or completing their degrees. Usually they’d give me a book of Haiku as parting gifts. Must have been influenced by that, wish I still had those books.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:34 pm On a different Maryland site, people ask about what happened this year. Jrn's been all over the reason why this year...bad shooting. The offense consistently gets really good looks, and Maryland shooters this year weren't accurate. Last season, the Terps were like 65% SOG. This year they were probably 10% lower, and it wasn't because they were taking bad shots. They missed the cage. A lot.
What really hurt is that this came out of the experienced folks on the midfield. Long's shooting percentage was 17.9%..and Jack Brennan's was somehow worse at 16.3%. Both would actually have alley dodges where the cage was fairly open in front of them and just...fail to even hit near the cage.

Looking at the roster next year, I was thinking/hoping maybe Brennan can switch to SSDM - he's athletic enough to play it, there's definitely a need, and he shouldn't have a front line role in offense for 2024. Unless he really turns it around I guess.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:59 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:34 pm On a different Maryland site, people ask about what happened this year. Jrn's been all over the reason why this year...bad shooting. The offense consistently gets really good looks, and Maryland shooters this year weren't accurate. Last season, the Terps were like 65% SOG. This year they were probably 10% lower, and it wasn't because they were taking bad shots. They missed the cage. A lot.
What really hurt is that this came out of the experienced folks on the midfield. Long's shooting percentage was 17.9%..and Jack Brennan's was somehow worse at 16.3%. Both would actually have alley dodges where the cage was fairly open in front of them and just...fail to even hit near the cage.

Looking at the roster next year, I was thinking/hoping maybe Brennan can switch to SSDM - he's athletic enough to play it, there's definitely a need, and he shouldn't have a front line role in offense for 2024. Unless he really turns it around I guess.
That's an interesting idea. After Chase Cope got hurt last year and before Alex Smith returned from injury, Brennan and Koras both took regular runs in the defensive midfield. In the Syracuse game, both played really well on the defensive end. Tills talked about the experience making both more comfortable and helping them adjust to the speed of the game.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Is this correct ?

Ben McDonald, says he’s a transfer in from a Canada college where he actually played football. If its the same guy, he’s a box player and right now the leading scorer in the BC Junior A summer lacrosse league,

https://opendorse.com/profile/ben-mcdonald

https://www.bcjall.com/stats#/23/leader ... pe=players
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Ben McDonald was on last years fall roster. I do not remember seeing him on the field much when they played at Sparks. Is he back? Eligibility wise, is it two years?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ah, I see.
Sounds maybe like it didn’t work out then.
He played football in Calgary, no field lacrosse, just box.

At one point McDonald had recruited with Stony Brook and Delaware about playing both football and lacrosse.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The Terps do have Canadian player, Hamish McPherson, in the incoming class. He is playing in the OJLL. Looks likes Spallina is also playing in the league this summer.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”