Syracuse v. Boston College 5:30 pm 5/26/2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxer12

Re: Syracuse v. Boston College 5:30 pm 5/26/2023

Post by laxer12 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:34 am
thedisciple516 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:20 am What a choke job by Syracuse. How the hell do you let the same team humiliate you in the exact same way they did just a few weeks ago?

This was the year for them to win it all. Best offense in the country (talent wise), defense and goaltending much better than expected, down years for UNC and Maryland. Recruiting doesn't seem to be knocking it out of the park either compared to the BC, Marylands UNC's of the world either.

I don't know if Trainor has "it" as a coach like Acacia-Walker does. Even as a Syracuse fan I'm so impressed by how her teams play. SU was the (slightly) better team today but BC won on hustle, determination, and never say die attitude. The way they harrassed Syracuse all over the field had a huge impact on the game.

Syracuse two MVPs also failed miserably today. A little freshman faceguarding you shouldn't be able to completely take Meghan Tyrell out of one of the most important (and potentially last) game of her career. Sweitzer was useless in goal and couldn't see anything. Her only saves (like 3 of them) came from shots right at her. Newsflash... the primary job of a goaltender is to stop shots not galivant up the field on clears.

Again so impressed by BC's intangibles and ability to overcome adversity. I don't think this Syracuse team has that in them. Go beat Northwestern for the ACC I guess.
Respectfully (and sorry in advance; I said all this before to a troll who once occupied these threads like the dusty cobwebs in Miss Havisham's old house), I just don't really see the world of sports -- particularly college sports involving young people -- in this way. I didn't see a "choke" by Syracuse, and the notion that this "was the year for them to win it all" is pretty close to ludicrous given the regular season win by BC when they met head to head the first time. Syracuse occupied rarified air, for sure, and it is one of the top three or four teams in the country in 2023. BC was and is the better team: better defense, better between the thirties, and with enough octane and composure to score and win on a day when things weren't necessarily clicking. In my view, BC's magic is that composure, which emanates from its excellent coaching staff and astounding level of big game experience among its core group of players. Syracuse didn't choke; it was beaten on a neutral field by a team that was a little bit better than it, a little more composed than it, and a team that deserved this win. The "Syracuse choke job" narrative only really diminishes the achievement of BC, and I won't sign up for that.

And the "little freshman face-guarding" MT? This also diminishes that kid's performance. It is clear, to anyone watching BC over the last few weeks, that this freshman is a terrific athlete, with excellent foot-speed and footwork, world class speed, composure, and very good skills with the stick. Her single job was to remove MT from any impact on the game. Why not give her the credit she is due, rather that diminish her with this childish moniker?
Yes, BC pressured Syracuse effectively all over the field and made them make mistakes they don't normally (to that degree) make and definitely bothered them when shooting the ball. However, I strongly disagree that BC won because it's a "little bit better of a team than Syracuse is".

Almost all the stats majorly favored Syracuse. Syracuse had more shots, more draw controls, more caused turnovers, more ground balls, and just created more opportunities than BC did but failed over and over again to capitalize on the offensive end. BC turned the ball over a whopping 20 times and had only 17 shots (11 shots on goal) compared to Cuse's 13 turnovers (3 of which were bad clearing errors) and 28 total shots (14 shots on goal not including Nat Smith's pipe shot). Emma Tyrrell and Olivia Adamson (both of whom are normally excellent finishers) had some wide open goal-scoring opportunities and failed to deliver. Meaghan Tyrrell was not assertive at all but in fact was very indifferent/lazy when it came to trying to break free of the faceguard and create opportunities for her teammates due to the pressure BC was putting on her. However, her biggest detriment to her team was her failure to back up missed shots over and over again, which immediately gave the ball back to BC after the SU defense worked their butts off to get their offense the ball back. I've been one of her biggest supporters on this site but she most definitely did not play like a tewaaraton finalist in this game or the JMU game (she shot the ball wide or right at the goalie's stick/body every time). Honestly felt like she lost some of her scoring/shooting prowess this season. She shot at a 56% clip in 2021 for 68 goals and a 60% clip for 78 goals in 2022 in comparison to this season where she only shot 48% while scoring 55 goals... pretty significant decline.

I do agree that BC has a ton more composure than SU does... however, I think most teams have more composure than SU does. Syracuse beats itself more often than other teams actually beat them. At least that's my perception of them and I've been following them since 2012.
Last edited by laxer12 on Sat May 27, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

It seemed quite clear If you take Tyrrell out of the game they can’t win All the hype for years over Carney and she had one goal It just wasn’t their night But that seems to be a repetitive statement time and again I think Adamson has stepped up big time for this team on the draw But I’m sure that last back check by smith will replay for a while At the end of the day Someone wins and someone loses Bc has come back from behind a LOT lately I do think if they fall behind northwestern it will not be the same outcome as this game And cuse has a lot of thinking to do Because for all the talent they supposedly have They just can’t finish i dont know if the have enough with who they have left to make a run again This should’ve been the one
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

thedisciple516 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:20 am What a choke job by Syracuse. How the hell do you let the same team humiliate you in the exact same way they did just a few weeks ago?

This was the year for them to win it all. Best offense in the country (talent wise), defense and goaltending much better than expected, down years for UNC and Maryland. Recruiting doesn't seem to be knocking it out of the park either compared to the BC, Marylands UNC's of the world either.

I don't know if Trainor has "it" as a coach like Acacia-Walker does. Even as a Syracuse fan I'm so impressed by how her teams play. SU was the (slightly) better team today but BC won on hustle, determination, and never say die attitude. The way they harrassed Syracuse all over the field had a huge impact on the game.

Syracuse two MVPs also failed miserably today. A little freshman faceguarding you shouldn't be able to completely take Meghan Tyrell out of one of the most important (and potentially last) game of her career. Sweitzer was useless in goal and couldn't see anything. Her only saves (like 3 of them) came from shots right at her. Newsflash... the primary job of a goaltender is to stop shots not galivant up the field on clears.

Again so impressed by BC's intangibles and ability to overcome adversity. I don't think this Syracuse team has that in them. Go beat Northwestern for the ACC I guess.
Respectfully (and sorry in advance; I said all this before to a troll who once occupied these threads like the dusty cobwebs in Miss Havisham's old house), I just don't really see the world of sports -- particularly college sports involving young people -- in this way. I didn't see a "choke" by Syracuse, and the notion that this "was the year for them to win it all" is pretty close to ludicrous given the regular season win by BC when they met head to head the first time. Syracuse occupied rarified air, for sure, and it is one of the top three or four teams in the country in 2023. BC was and is the better team: better defense, better between the thirties, and with enough octane and composure to score and win on a day when things weren't necessarily clicking. In my view, BC's magic is that composure, which emanates from its excellent coaching staff and astounding level of big game experience among its core group of players. Syracuse didn't choke; it was beaten on a neutral field by a team that was a little bit better than it, a little more composed than it, and a team that deserved this win. The "Syracuse choke job" narrative only really diminishes the achievement of BC, and I won't sign up for that.

And the "little freshman face-guarding" MT? This also diminishes that kid's performance. It is clear, to anyone watching BC over the last few weeks, that this freshman is a terrific athlete, with excellent foot-speed and footwork, world class speed, composure, and very good skills with the stick. Her single job was to remove MT from any impact on the game. Why not give her the credit she is due, rather that diminish her with this childish moniker?
I'll agree that calling Syracuse the better team yesterday might not be accurate. Composure, octane, mental fortitute, performing in the clutch and overall intagibles are part of what make lacrosse teams (and all sports teams) great so BC was the better team because they had a huge advantage in those areas. What I should've said was that Syracuse was the more talented team yesterday and all year but still lost.

BC's offense is great but Syracuse's is better. Syracuse also had better Draw Controls and Goaltending throughout the year. The only area that BC had the advantage in was defense and that was the one area Syracuse shined in yesterday.

No like you said BC won becacuse of their Octane and Composure, and because Syracuse's two MVP's failed to show up. I'm not diminishing the talent of the BC freshman defender but for the all-time points leader at a storied program like Syracuse to completely dissapear is the result of something more than just stellar defending (Tyrells' lack of effort on back ups is further proof that she just didn't show up). And I don't even want to rehash the NCAAs goaltender of they year award winner's performance yesterday.

I'm not diminishing BC's performance and have stated multiple times how incredibly impressed I am by Acacia-Walker and her team's never say die attitude and ability to overcome adversity. That being said when you dominate so many statistical categories (shots, DCs, turnovers), and lose anyway because you can't get the basics right (finishing on wide open nets, making at least A FEW saves, your star player COMPLETELY dissapearing), then an argumet can be made that at least part of the reason you lost was self inflicted (aka choke job).

Also don't fall into the all to common internet fallacy that anyone who disagrees with you is a "troll".
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I was not calling you a troll.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

thedisciple516 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:16 pm

I'll agree that calling Syracuse the better team yesterday might not be accurate. Composure, octane, mental fortitute, performing in the clutch and overall intagibles are part of what make lacrosse teams (and all sports teams) great so BC was the better team because they had a huge advantage in those areas. What I should've said was that Syracuse was the more talented team yesterday and all year but still lost.

BC's offense is great but Syracuse's is better. Syracuse also had better Draw Controls and Goaltending throughout the year. The only area that BC had the advantage in was defense and that was the one area Syracuse shined in yesterday.

No like you said BC won becacuse of their Octane and Composure, and because Syracuse's two MVP's failed to show up. I'm not diminishing the talent of the BC freshman defender but for the all-time points leader at a storied program like Syracuse to completely dissapear is the result of something more than just stellar defending (Tyrells' lack of effort on back ups is further proof that she just didn't show up). And I don't even want to rehash the NCAAs goaltender of they year award winner's performance yesterday.

I'm not diminishing BC's performance and have stated multiple times how incredibly impressed I am by Acacia-Walker and her team's never say die attitude and ability to overcome adversity. That being said when you dominate so many statistical categories (shots, DCs, turnovers), and lose anyway because you can't get the basics right (finishing on wide open nets, making at least A FEW saves, your star player COMPLETELY dissapearing), then an argumet can be made that at least part of the reason you lost was self inflicted (aka choke job).

Also don't fall into the all to common internet fallacy that anyone who disagrees with you is a "troll".
Having watched MT all season and been impressed with her abilities I feel like when she got banged up in the April 28 v UNC game it really took a toll on her . I know she put up a lot of points against Hopkins but the last two games she didn’t seem like herself. She seemed tired and not her usual dynamic self. Just my thoughts .
njbill

Post by njbill »

thedisciple516 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:16 pm

Reread what sea said. He wasn’t calling you a troll. He was referring to he who shall not be named who had an unhealthy infatuation with the term “choke.”
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

a few random thoughts on rewatch of this game ...

Cuse burned 3TOs in the second half getting out of doubles. Did not having a TO to set up final possession hurt them?

BC staff absolutely knew which Cuse players (one specifically) drop their sticks/are lazy about stick protection. The final check to shut down the potential tying goal was one of several they were able to capitalize on.

IMHO, Cuse did a lot with role players this season, but they have a specific dead spot on attack and BC capitalized.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:06 pm a few random thoughts on rewatch of this game ...

Cuse burned 3TOs in the second half getting out of doubles. Did not having a TO to set up final possession hurt them?

BC staff absolutely knew which Cuse players (one specifically) drop their sticks/are lazy about stick protection. The final check to shut down the potential tying goal was one of several they were able to capitalize on.

IMHO, Cuse did a lot with role players this season, but they have a specific dead spot on attack and BC capitalized.
So you're saying BC does so well against 'cuse because they're so familiar with them? Makes sense then why they always find a way back against Syracuse but got dominated by a team (Northwestern) they don't know as well.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:34 am And the "little freshman face-guarding" MT? This also diminishes that kid's performance. It is clear, to anyone watching BC over the last few weeks, that this freshman is a terrific athlete, with excellent foot-speed and footwork, world class speed, composure, and very good skills with the stick. Her single job was to remove MT from any impact on the game. Why not give her the credit she is due, rather that diminish her with this childish moniker?
Thanks, Seacoaster. :oops: It was fun to see 14 contribute down the stretch. I’m mostly proud of her effort and growth in all aspects of a tough freshman year. I understand that playing sports while attending a top college is a privileged opportunity, but few really know first-hand the commitment and sacrifice made by these young women perform at a high level in all aspects of college life.

Congrats to SU on a great season. I personally believe they are partly responsible for BC's underwhelming performance in the final. It took everything the Eagles had to sneak by and they couldn't regain the same intensity on Sunday. While criticism/disappointment is understandable among the Orange faithful, I don't see the doomsday scenario some are predicting. I personally believe they have new energy and recruiting momentum that will have them back in the hunt in short order.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”