Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: Live Game Action

Post by njbill »

I watched the JMU v. UNC game (on-line). I also don't think JMU was "awful," though the better team won. The first half was pretty closely played. The Tarheels pulled away to a degree in the second half. To me, a key difference in the game was goal tending. I thought the UNC goalie played quite well. The JMU goalie did not. She is replacing a very good goalie to be sure. To be frank, JMU is going to need better net minding going forward.

JMU has played UNC pretty tough of late, which included a few years where the Tarheels were a very good team, the best in the country with several all world players. I thought this might be JMU's chance to steal one given all of UNC's graduation loses, but it wasn't meant to be. Swap the goalies and you might have had a different result.

BTW, UNC was missing Dirks and Hillman, two pretty key players.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

njbill wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:37 pm I watched the JMU v. UNC game (on-line). I also don't think JMU was "awful," though the better team won. The first half was pretty closely played. The Tarheels pulled away to a degree in the second half. To me, a key difference in the game was goal tending. I thought the UNC goalie played quite well. The JMU goalie did not. She is replacing a very good goalie to be sure. To be frank, JMU is going to need better net minding going forward.

JMU has played UNC pretty tough of late, which included a few years where the Tarheels were a very good team, the best in the country with several all world players. I thought this might be JMU's chance to steal one given all of UNC's graduation loses, but it wasn't meant to be. Swap the goalies and you might have had a different result.

BTW, UNC was missing Dirks and Hillman, two pretty key players.
Do we know what is up with those two players? Announcer said Dirks was on the sideline in street clothes. If she has a serious injury, it has been kept very quiet.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don’t.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I was super unhappy with the ACC broadcast. Only one announcer and zero replays.
watcherinthewoods

Brownlax wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:33 pm I was super unhappy with the ACC broadcast. Only one announcer and zero replays.
I am available for color ... all they need to do is call.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Down 7-1 after a quarter Lindenwood comes back to beat CMU for their first D1 win.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Did the JMU bench actually celebrate their 2nd goal of the game today v VT by all getting down on the ground into a snipers position n pretend to shot a rifle? Rather strange celebration. Or am I told old to understand today's celebrations?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, the only thing that looks similar to last year's UNC team is the uniforms.
Score one abt 8 minutes in, nice assisted goal, but the first few possessions were
unforced TOs...bad passes going OOB. 2-1 Liberty.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ends up 4-3 UNC at the end of one, Wurzburger on a give and go comes from behind, scored as the horn was sounding again on a pass to in front of the cage, she's got an assist too. Still not seeing a back to back team though.
NC scores on a FPS...Casey. 5-3
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Man, i get it wanting to start with cupcakes on your inaugural season but Clemson aren't doing themselves any favors here. Furman barely look like a college squad. Clemson will get blitz by the first good team they face
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:32 pm Ends up 4-3 UNC at the end of one, Wurzburger on a give and go comes from behind, scored as the horn was sounding again on a pass to in front of the cage, she's got an assist too. Still not seeing a back to back team though.
Looks like they ended up finding their groove
washedup

Post by washedup »

Brutal officiating, brutal announcing, and brutal administrative game management in the VT-JMU game. Just really poor effort by host VT athletics
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:30 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:32 pm Ends up 4-3 UNC at the end of one, Wurzburger on a give and go comes from behind, scored as the horn was sounding again on a pass to in front of the cage, she's got an assist too. Still not seeing a back to back team though.
Looks like they ended up finding their groove
Indeed, look much more like a Carolina team now. Came out of the gate real shakey, couldn't do much rtight.
17-5 now, 8+ to go.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:13 pm Man, i get it wanting to start with cupcakes on your inaugural season but Clemson aren't doing themselves any favors here. Furman barely look like a college squad. Clemson will get blitz by the first good team they face
I agree. There are better cupcakes out there, ones that will actually make the team better. I get convenience and proximity too, but jeez Louise.
watcherinthewoods

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:01 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:13 pm Man, i get it wanting to start with cupcakes on your inaugural season but Clemson aren't doing themselves any favors here. Furman barely look like a college squad. Clemson will get blitz by the first good team they face
I agree. There are better cupcakes out there, ones that will actually make the team better. I get convenience and proximity too, but jeez Louise.
Did not see the game, but taking your word for it. Furman is a great school … it seems like they should be able draw more from midatlantic hotbed and also get kids looking for a rigorous liberal arts environment.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:38 pm
Did not see the game, but taking your word for it. Furman is a great school … it seems like they should be able draw more from midatlantic hotbed and also get kids looking for a rigorous liberal arts environment.
I hear you, they are probably competing with the other rigorous liberal arts schools with already established programs in the NESCAC, Centennial, & Patriot League Conferences, etc. Definitely tough competition. They do have an edge on the weather, but so do Elon, Davidson, and Richmond. Also not sure what the athletic department looks like after the COVID cost cuts in 2020.

They have some competition, but I can see the appeal.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:36 pm
I hear you, they are probably competing with the other rigorous liberal arts schools with already established programs in the NESCAC, Centennial, & Patriot League Conferences, etc. Definitely tough competition. They do have an edge on the weather, but so do Elon, Davidson, and Richmond. Also not sure what the athletic department looks like after the COVID cost cuts in 2020.

My daughter was recruited by Furman. She liked that the school was south, but it was too small for her. She is playing for a larger D1 school now.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:06 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:36 pm

My daughter was recruited by Furman. She liked that the school was south, but it was too small for her. She is playing for a larger D1 school now.
I’m glad your daughter found a school that’s a good fit!
Bart

Post by Bart »

Binghamton beats Pitt 11-6. With all the grad players gone Pitt looked more like a first year team than a second. They have some good players but it was evident that many did not have much game experience. I think they will improve as the season goes on.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Bart wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:02 pm Binghamton beats Pitt 11-6. With all the grad players gone Pitt looked more like a first year team than a second. They have some good players but it was evident that many did not have much game experience. I think they will improve as the season goes on.
I was thinking the same thing as I was watching it. They looked like very inexperienced program. But with that being said they just dominated Duquesne, so what does that say about Duquesne? Lol I really thought this was going to be a win for the Panthers, I was a little surprised.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”