2023 FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: 2023 FanLax Forum Poll

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

1. Syracuse -- Although I expect them to fall from grace, I have them here for now. Could the SU defense and keeper stay with BC?

2. Boston College -- my brain is telling me that this is the best team in the country (so, No. 2? weird). They had a couple of bad spells against Duke, but by and large they have a really nice offense, move the ball well, play hungrily in between the 30s, and play excellent defense. Davis has stepped into Mossman's role as the lefty feeder, but (no disrespect here) with the same passing skill, more mobility and a better shot than I thought Mossman had; she is more of a threat.

3. Northwestern -- I know, they beat BC...in their own building. The rematch in May won't work out for NU. Let me ask (risking a cataclysm of protective posts...): Does Izzy Scane make the players around her better?

4. UNC -- I understand it, but I'm not a subscriber to the "you're No. 1 until you are beaten" presumption. This is pretty plainly a beatable team, from what I have seen. Not saying that the Heels aren't good; clearly, they can play. But the new keeper is not Moreno (but Walker-Welch, Nalls, Dorsey and Hall are good and experienced -- where does this leave us??). The midfield is good, but nothing like last year or the year before. Game on Friday in Chapel Hill against BC. I'll take BC 12-9.

5. SBU -- can we just agree that we won't know what we are dealing with here until March 10.

6. Maryland -- good win away at Florida. Not perfect. But who below them is better?

7. Florida -- waiting to drop them further if they cannot instill some discipline in these young women.

8. Denver -- if the Pioneers can find goals somewhere, look out.

9. Loyola -- here because I like Loyola more than I like UVA and JMU. Penn at Ridley for a mid-week game should be a decent test for both.

10. UVA -- Cavs are 4-0 and really, sorry, haven't beaten anyone yet. The game Friday against Clemson will be interesting, if only to gauge Clemson and Notre Dame.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:38 am Image
Looks like I screwed up my poll entries. Maryland should be my No. 6. JMU out of top ten. Sorry.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Updated:

Caddy Day
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

No real heavy favorites this year. It's open season. However i do think that beyond the top 7 there is a huge drop in terms of quality.

1. Cuse- They look like the best team. They have the best offense by far and have beaten some really good teams. Can they stay healthy?

2. UNC- I think even if they started the season ranked 5th or 6th, this is where they would have been ranked by virtue of teams in front of them losing and them having 2 top 15 wins. All put in bigger context with the fact that many expected them to fall off the map with the mass exodus, which i think it's fair to say won't be the case. BC game will be a good measuring test for this team.

3. BC- They've looked good. offensively they look more cohesive than i thought they would without CN. Many different players have stepped up. IMO i'm still waiting for B Smith to take that next step. She's shown flashes but she needs to be more consistent. Hall and Dolce are probably the best Goalie tandem in the country.

4. NW- Will only go as far as Izzy Scane will take them. I know they have a win over BC but it's splitting hairs. BC is better overall.

5. Stony Brook- Quitely a very good team. i have them making the final four.

6. Maryland- Dangerous territory. Talented team but alot of chemistry issues. No elite offensive players. Easily could have lost to Florida. There are just too many good teams this year to just expect to turn on a switch. They need to go on a run now or this season will end as quickly as it started.

7. Florida- Florida is good. Undisciplined and out of sorts at times but very talented. I don't think anyone would want to face them in the tourney. I know they have a rep for underachieving but they battle. Can't say the same about Stanford.

8. Loyola- The best of the Middle of the pack teams so far. Returned alot from last year but they would still be an undergood against any of the top 7 teams.

9. Virginia- Cupcake schedule but they have talent. Showed flashes last year. I'm part of the Rachel Clark fan club and if you aren't already you should be.

10. James Madison- The Dukes don't play pretty lacrosse but they are full of grit and you're going to have to match that. Oh and they have a 6 foot wrecking ball by the name of Isabella Peterson who can't be stopped.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Sorry, folks ... busy Monday and missed the deadline ...

Here is my top 10 for week 3:

Cuse ... HELLO ORANGE attack! Hello new and improved goalie!
UNC ... still not rounded into form,but finding a way to get it done. unexpectedly young with Dirks and Hillman limited
NW ... seems to have the personnel to make run and gun work this season
BC ... consistent and will only improve. goalie is a weakness, but terrific defense makes sure she only sees shots she can handle
SBU ... Yale gave them a good reality check. From here on out, I think they will be dialed in, regardless of opponent
MD ... YIKES, lots of housekeeping to do here
Florida ... so many issues with this program, but here they are
Loyola ... have not seen them play, but makes me smile to put them ahead of UVa and Dook
UVa (pains me)
Dook (pains me)

As mentioned elsewhere, completely impressed with JHU and Penn. They will both finish in top 15 if early indicators are to be believed. Army is just an awesome story.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:19 pm Loyola ... have not seen them play, but makes me smile to put them ahead of UVa and Dook
UVa (pains me)
Dook (pains me)
:D :D
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:40 am

9. Loyola -- here because I like Loyola more than I like UVA and JMU. Penn at Ridley for a mid-week game should be a decent test for both.
:D :D I think Penn game will be a very good test for the Hounds. The Hounds looked rough against Hop, but looked pretty good against Towson.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:19 pm Sorry, folks ... busy Monday and missed the deadline ...

Here is my top 10 for week 3:

Cuse ... HELLO ORANGE attack! Hello new and improved goalie!
UNC ... still not rounded into form,but finding a way to get it done. unexpectedly young with Dirks and Hillman limited
NW ... seems to have the personnel to make run and gun work this season
BC ... consistent and will only improve. goalie is a weakness, but terrific defense makes sure she only sees shots she can handle
SBU ... Yale gave them a good reality check. From here on out, I think they will be dialed in, regardless of opponent
MD ... YIKES, lots of housekeeping to do here
Florida ... so many issues with this program, but here they are
Loyola ... have not seen them play, but makes me smile to put them ahead of UVa and Dook
UVa (pains me)
Dook (pains me)

As mentioned elsewhere, completely impressed with JHU and Penn. They will both finish in top 15 if early indicators are to be believed. Army is just an awesome story.
I just couldn't see my way clear to putting Duke in the top ten.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Reminder: FanLax Forum Polls are due on Monday at noon EST. Enjoy this weekend's games. Forum Poll Link (with Submission Links towards the bottom of the page).
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:15 am Reminder: FanLax Forum Polls are due on Monday at noon EST. Enjoy this weekend's games. Forum Poll Link (with Submission Links towards the bottom of the page).
Noon EST
Caddy Day
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

1. UNC- Made a huge statement over the weekend. They have 3 top 10 wins.
2. Cuse- Here due to no fault of their own..still the best offensive team in the country
3. NW- Steady so far. Didn't miss beat without Scane. Still have concerns on how they'll hold up if Scane isn't dominant against elite teams when it matters most. Some people here hype up their offensive weapons when they put up 20 goals vs. Cupcake U. BC was enjoying that as well until they could only muster 5 vs UNC. and the CN convo started popping up again. Maryland without Cordingley, same story. In terms of supporting cast and overall offensive talent, NW is still 4th and i don't think many would disagree.
4. Stony Brook- Been high on this team since their showing vs UNC. Not an offensive juggernaut by any means but they are solid everywhere.
5. BC- Still a really good team. Wouldn't surprise me if they beat UNC in a rematch. Goalie play will need to improve though.
6. JMU- Tough and gritty. That UNC loss might be the largest margin they'll lose by all season.
7. Loyola- Here by default. A less talented version of Stony brook.
8. Florida- Easily could have won the Maryland game had a few bounces gone their way. Emma LoPinto is a beast. and This Florida team actually scares me. A tourney run won't surprise me.
9. Virginia- They're winning but playing a soft schedule. They are for sure improved from last year. Big test vs. UNC.
10. Denver- Good team. They have a great defense. But i don't see them doing anything. Not enough on offense.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

This week's edition of WTFDIK:

1. UNC -- Here because I still think BC is a very good team, and the beatdown on Friday Night was just remarkable. Assuming -- as I think one must -- that the freshmen on display are going to get better, and not burnt out because of UNC's depth, this could be a very formidable team come May.

2. Syracuse -- See comments on No. 1 in the WTFDIK Poll.

3. Northwestern -- nothing I can do about it.

4. Boston College -- not willing to demote them too far at this point. They have some issues to overcome.

5. Stony Brook -- 4-0 after a surprisingly tight contest with Stanford, but I still don't know how good this team is. I am Pro-Joe, as you know. The defenses is very good. Can they score with teams like NU and SU? Dunno. Find out Friday night.

Now the hard part:

6. Loyola -- also 4-0, and haven't really played anyone that can tell us how good they are. Really glad they have Florida and Syracuse on the schedule in the next few weeks. First, Georgetown.

7. Virginia -- I only put them here to prime us for their fall from grace, and potential loss of the Virginia State D-1 championship. I actually think they are pretty good, and think Kennedy has added an ethos of work and grit to a team that needed it.

8. Denver -- good team. Very good defense. If they can score 10 or 11 on you, pretty good chance you're gonna lose.

9. JMU -- 5-1 and the only loss to the current WTFDIK Poll No. 1.

10. Maryland -- and slipping. Wonder if they are doing any "beat the zone" drills this week? Terps beat Florida, so they are here instead of Florida. Simple as that. For now.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't see anywhere that SB-NU game can be watched, no "watch" to click on on either schedule and not listed anywhere on the ESPN+ channels. That game should be televised, wth??? Not even on the B1G minus?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:07 am Don't see anywhere that SB-NU game can be watched, no "watch" to click on on either schedule and not listed anywhere on the ESPN+ channels. That game should be televised, wth??? Not even on the B1G minus?
If it is anywhere, it'll be the B1G network. But I don't see anything either.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

My WTFDIK:

1. UNC - told you guys/gals....although I didn't see that big a win. #1 till they aint.

2. Cuse - Best offense in D1 right now...now, if they can get a defensive game to match, they would be Final 2 in my book.

3. Northwestern - Hoping Izzy is good to go.

4. BC - they need to find an offense....still top 5 overall.

5. SBU - just because. I haven't seen them play, but then who have they played? Bottom top 20 teams that aren't as good.

6. Denver - Just cause I cant place the Hounds here.

7. Loyola - they have surprised me with their play. that said, they haven't beat anyone tough yet. Can they come out of the next few weeks with only one loss (Cuse)?

8. James Madison - Best team in Virginia.

9. UVA - the team that does less with more - wait for it...it will happen.

10. Maryland - the second team that does less with more (this year)
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

So there's no confusion, there's a tie for #1...

Caddy Day
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

Where you got it right, where you got it wrong:

1. Yes, SU and UNC are the top two teams in the nation. You got that right. But it's not a tie. UNC is #1. UNC's wins *based on your own rankings* are clearly better.
2. Denver is the #3 team in the nation. You have them at #5. Along the same lines, you have Northwestern at #3 when they should be #6. Yes, their loss is not a bad loss but Denver's, Stony Brook's and James Madison's wins are better.
3. Yes, BC just got crushed by UNC but they're better than #10. It was a game, one game. Judge the teams on their season, on their resume, not a game. Even if it's their most recent game.
4. Great that you remembered Army and... they should be higher than #13. More like #9.
5. You missed three teams, in order: Loyola, Louisville, and Michigan.

Carry on, humans...
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

How can anyone objectively say UNC isn't number 1 right now? they have better wins than Syracuse, who's big win vs MD is looking weaker, JMU for UNC is looking better. on Top of being undefeated defending champs. Even without the defending champs bump, they would still be 1 based on performance. What arguments do you have for Cuse over UNC? Some on this board were convinced UNC was going to suck and they don't want to admit they were wrong. Don't want to have to dig through the receipts..Let the inheritant biases go of who's your fav team and rank based on facts.
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:55 pm How can anyone objectively say UNC isn't number 1 right now?... Let the inheritant biases go of who's your fav team and rank based on facts.
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”