A10 Conference

D1 Womens Lacrosse
A10WLaxFan

Re: 2019 A10 Conference

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Thanks to all the A10 fans who contributed to make this one of the most popular women's threads on FanLax.
We didn't come close to the 30K hits on the old Laxpower, but things seem to be moving in the right direction.
Hopefully, in the months to come, we can all spread the word. Fall Ball is only 4 months away!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"Fall Ball is only 4 months away!"

Love that.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Good to see representation from the A10 in this years Under Armour All-America lacrosse game. Representing the Spiders will be Sophia DiCenso, Foxborough (Mass.) and Arden Tierney, Sacred Heart Academy (N.Y.). Representing UMass will be Hannah Heller, West Babylon (N.Y.). Congrats to all and good luck. Here is the link for the final North & South rosters...

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/54642
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

I can see Richmond landing New England players that are distant from UMass,
but how do the Spiders get players from Eastern Mass (the UMass backyard)?
Egizi, Conley, D'Orsi and now DiCenzo live less than 2 hours up the road.
Is it good recruiting, playing in sunshine, being away from home- what's the draw?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

A10WLaxFan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:21 pm I can see Richmond landing New England players that are distant from UMass,
but how do the Spiders get players from Eastern Mass (the UMass backyard)?
Egizi, Conley, D'Orsi and now DiCenzo live less than 2 hours up the road.
Is it good recruiting, playing in sunshine, being away from home- what's the draw?
Also, Richmond only had (2019) one player from Virginia...There are good (even high level D1) players in Virginia. Why is that?

here is my hijack of your thread...

I know that hot-bed-itis is not only limited to what I perceive on the Richmond roster....It does occur in other schools. I never have understood why a team wants the 3rd or 4th tier from a hot bed when they could get top tier non-hot bed and potentially a better player. Is it that the top 4 tiers of players on LI or Baltimore or Philly (etc.) are better than the top Virginia/Florida/etc. players? I don't know the answer....or is it just easier to go to the old standbys locationally and club wise?
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

I'm focusing on the A10 Conference, but to get these Eastern Mass players Richmond also out-recruited schools less
than 1 hour away. Other nearby D1 schools are BC, BU, Harvard, Holy Cross, Bryant, Brown, etc. Must be that once
you're bitten by a Spider, you can't get out of their web!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

A10WLaxFan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:33 pm I'm focusing on the A10 Conference, but to get these Eastern Mass players Richmond also out-recruited schools less
than 1 hour away. Other nearby D1 schools are BC, BU, Harvard, Holy Cross, Bryant, Brown, etc. Must be that once
you're bitten by a Spider, you can't get out of their web!
It is a good school...doesnt have the name of BC, Harvard, Brown, etc. but still a very good school. I am thinking that there must be a good closer on that staff to poach from that far away. I would lean towards getting away from home having a big effect. Then the sunshine :)
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Former Michigan and Florida coach Jennifer Ulehla is the new HC at George Washington.
Knowledgeable and focused, she should bring a tough, disciplined approach to this program.
With a great school situated in a lax hotbed, we should see good things to come.
HVGuy

Post by HVGuy »

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss." - Pete Townsend

GW had an opportunity to go in a different direction, but chose the same path, hiring a coach who was dismissed from a program with all of the resources in the world, first Notre Dame and now Michigan.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

HVGuy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:10 am "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss." - Pete Townsend

GW had an opportunity to go in a different direction, but chose the same path, hiring a coach who was dismissed from a program with all of the resources in the world, first Notre Dame and now Michigan.
2 comments.. Pete Townshend...and you are right on GW's decision :D Comment 1 was tongue in cheek, no offense intended....Big Pete fan.
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Coach Ulehla has a reputation for being demanding, and this program needs some serious work to become competitive again.
I tend to like a tough coach, and think this team will benefit from hard work. I have no connection to this coach or team,
just going on general reputation. (Incidentally, Bellichick flopped as HC of the Browns, then did pretty well with the Patriots!)
SPIDERLAXFAN

Incoming A-10 Freshman

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Any intel on the incoming freshmen in the A-10? I know the Spiders have a pretty large incoming class. The two standouts being Arden Tierney and Sofia Dicenso who coincidentally just faced off against one another in the Under Armour All American game. Richmond also has an incoming transfer from Villanova... attacker Nicole Concannon.
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

It's another year, and another pre-season standings prediction:
I still see the conference stratified in thirds, with the usual dogfight for #1.

1 Richmond
1 UMass
3 Mason
4 St. Joe's

5 VCU
6 GW
7 Duquesne

8 Davidson
9 LaSalle
10 St. Bonnie's

Looking forward to seeing who has the best incoming class.
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Teams expected to be better in 2020:
RICHMOND- could be a favorite with a dangerous incoming class.
VCU- seasoned coach, mature program, all systems are go!
GW- new coach, new vibe, new era.
Team expected to come back with a vengeance:
UMASS- chompin' at the bit to reclaim the crown!
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

The Spiders have released their fall schedule...

October 2nd @ UVA
October 5th @ William & Mary Playday vs TBD
October 8th @ Richmond vs Keio University (Japan)
October 20th @ Loyola Playday vs Florida, Loyola, Princeton
October 26th @ Georgetown Playday vs Penn State, Georgetown, JMU
Last edited by SPIDERLAXFAN on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDB21

Post by MDB21 »

A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

Lots of high-level playing, coaching and international experience in this new GW staff.
Here's wishing them the best as they try to rebuild this program.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Nice showing by Richmond. Spiders have the #10 ranked incoming freshman class. Good for UR and the A10!

2019 Inside Lacrosse Top Incoming Classes
1. Maryland
2. Notre Dame
3. North Carolina
4. Northwestern
5. Penn
6. Duke
7. Florida
8. Loyola
9. Syracuse
10. Richmond

https://richmondspiders.com/news/2019/9 ... r-100.aspx
A10WLaxFan

Post by A10WLaxFan »

A10WLaxFan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 am It's another year, and another pre-season standings prediction:
I still see the conference stratified in thirds, with the usual dogfight for #1.

1 Richmond
1 UMass
3 Mason
4 St. Joe's

5 VCU
6 GW
7 Duquesne

8 Davidson
9 LaSalle
10 St. Bonnie's

Looking forward to seeing who has the best incoming class.
I expected the Spiders to be scary enough with their returning players, but from the sound of the incoming class...holy mackeral!!
This was the first time that I picked them as a favorite to win the conference, but just gotta show them tied with UMass based on
past history. UMass has been in the pressure cooker uncountable times, and usually comes out on top. Should make for a great year!
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Time will tell. I tend to ignore those polls for the most part. I look at it more as good publicity for the program.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”