The country that was

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The country that was

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:36 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:32 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:29 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:01 am
DMac wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:39 pmPretty much defines the reason for the post, agree across the board. This country is not in good shape and I'm very doubtful that it's fixable.
So, it ends in Civil War? When state legislatures are given supreme power by this corrupt court...do states start to secede and it becomes a mash-up of single "country-states" or groups of country-states occupying the same parts of North America? A Fan's rural dystopia can't be far behind...

Anarchy?

I need to start polishing up my novel on the subject...it may be about to become non-fiction...
I don't think it gets to that point. Abortion is the issue currently. If state laws don't fix it then a national law that passes Constitutional muster will. Wait until all the states have acted on abortion & see where we are.
That's not the problem that would lead to Civil War.

The problem is that your team (and you personally) keep playing with the "elections are fraudulent" fire. Keep adding fuel to THAT fire? The whole country will fall apart as armed nutjobs reject our elections.

Abortion or any other issue won't do anything close to that.
Yeah. I wish Hillary & Stacey Abrams would stop undermining faith in election results.

Bring back the dancing drop boxes.
Hillary & Stacey sure have changed:

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:39 pmPretty much defines the reason for the post, agree across the board. This country is not in good shape and I'm very doubtful that it's fixable.
So, it ends in Civil War? When state legislatures are given supreme power by this corrupt court...do states start to secede and it becomes a mash-up of single "country-states" or groups of country-states occupying the same parts of North America? A Fan's rural dystopia can't be far behind...

Anarchy?

I need to start polishing up my novel on the subject...it may be about to become non-fiction...
I don't think it gets to that point. Abortion is the issue currently. If state laws don't fix it then a national law that passes Constitutional muster will. Wait until all the states have acted on abortion & see where we are.

The problem is that your team (and you personally) keep playing with the "elections are fraudulent" fire. Keep adding fuel to THAT fire? The whole country will fall apart as armed nutjobs reject our elections.

Yeah. I wish Hillary & Stacey Abrams would stop undermining faith in election results.

Whataboutism won't save us, my man. I've already blamed them, too. Are you blaming yourself for your games, too?

Naaah. "that's different". You're only gonna blame Hillary for her petty games. Your personal petty election games are cool. :roll:
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Anarchy?

Rationalizing why you lost is far different than denying the result.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-cl ... 1478710250

https://19thnews.org/2022/09/stacey-abr ... y-big-lie/
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:44 pm

Anarchy?

Whataboutism won't save us, my man. I've already blamed them, too. Are you blaming yourself for your games, too?

Naaah. "that's different". You're only gonna blame Hillary for her petty games. Your personal petty election games are cool. :roll:
This, btw, is the card carrying logic of partisans. They use this on a multitude of issues.

Old Salt recognizes that it wasn't ok that Hillary and Abrams questioned the election results, so he calls them out with ease. He IMMEDIATELY understands that in his view, Hillary and Abrams' accusations are unethical, immoral, and dangerous.

But he doesn't recognize the problem when he and Trump use this behavior. He thinks his own behavior is justified by Hillary...behavior he just condemned.

Rinse. Repeat.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:47 pmRationalizing why you lost is far different than denying the result.
Bingo!

This kind of ignorant, clueless whataboutism response is mainly why we're where we are today. Alternative facts. Wishful thinking. "I alone can fix it". What the other side does is just as bad.

It isn't. Not by a long shot.

Elect republicans and watch the impeachment follies. All for petty revenge.

Yeah, we sure are on a path to some sort of dissolution.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Typical Lax Dad

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:47 pm

Anarchy?

Rationalizing why you lost is far different than denying the result.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-cl ... 1478710250

https://19thnews.org/2022/09/stacey-abr ... y-big-lie/
Some of these folks are more upset when their lax team suffers from a bad call.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:49 pm

Anarchy?

This, btw, is the card carrying logic of partisans. They use this on a multitude of issues.

Old Salt recognizes that it wasn't ok that Hillary and Abrams questioned the election results, so he calls them out with ease. He IMMEDIATELY understands that in his view, Hillary and Abrams' accusations are unethical, immoral, and dangerous.

But he doesn't recognize the problem when he and Trump use this behavior. He thinks his own behavior is justified by Hillary...behavior he just condemned.

Rinse. Repeat.
The loser always cries foul. Sometimes in advance, preemptively.

Jan 6th wasn't the first time the results were challenged in Congress.
Hopefully the recent change to the ECA will make it the last.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:12 pm

Anarchy?

Rinse. Repeat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:12 pm

Anarchy?

Rinse. Repeat.

Those changes have not been passed by either House nor Senate yet. You willing to bet the ranch that it will occur in a lame duck session?
A little bit more than an objection occurred on January 6th. Were you out of the country? :oops:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Our country will be fine and will continue to be the standard.....flaws and all. We are merely going through a transitional phase, based primarily on 'culture' and change for the better. The progressive movement is currently in control without even being a recognized party....Biden is Bernie in disguise. And remember when Bernie was considered the looney-tune guy...well, we are damned near here. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a slight move left ain't always a bad thing....just ruffles a few feathers.

We'll be just fine.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
njbill

Post by njbill »

Election reform legislation has been passed by the House in this Congress, but not by the Senate. Schumer claims it will be approved by the Senate (where it has bipartisan support) in the lame duck session. We shall see.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:53 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:47 pmRationalizing why you lost is far different than denying the result.
Bingo!

This kind of ignorant, clueless whataboutism response is mainly why we're where we are today. Alternative facts. Wishful thinking. "I alone can fix it". What the other side does is just as bad.

Petty “revenge impeachment?” Yup, Never seen that done before…

😂

I think we were pretty close to a civil war a couple years ago albeit for different reasons, with the riots in the streets every night for 2-3 months
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:28 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:18 pm The "is" is always the "was". There is no future, only the present.

Having said that, I think the changes that the increasing pace of climate change will have on the pillars of civilization: readily available potable water, relatively temperate climate (lack of temperature and precipitation extremes), will induce such unimaginable variations from the generally expected that we will have no idea what hit us.

Or, to employ the vernacular, "we fncked".

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environ ... -rcna53900

"The amount of carbon dioxide and two other greenhouse gases in Earth's atmosphere hit record highs last year, the World Meteorological Organization said in a report published Wednesday.

Carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide are the three main greenhouse gases responsible for trapping heat in the atmosphere and driving global warming. The WMO’s latest Greenhouse Gas Bulletin, published annually, found that concentrations of all three reached new highs last year — a worrying trend and a sign that the world is not doing enough to fight climate change.

“WMO’s Greenhouse Gas Bulletin has underlined, once again, the enormous challenge — and the vital necessity — of urgent action to cut greenhouse gas emissions and prevent global temperatures rising even further in the future,” Petteri Taalas, the WMO’s secretary-general, said in a statement.

The increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide from 2020 to 2021 was larger than the average annual growth rate over the past decade, according to the report. The WMO also said last year's rise in methane levels was the biggest year-on-year jump since such measurements began almost 40 years ago."
Know you like it so heres Rust Cohle confirming your thesis

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0mhZBLUyybo
One of the greatest characters in cinematic history.
Word! Have watched season 1 four times. That scene he’s undercover robbing the drug dealers is straight up seminal filmography.

I sadly feel him a lot in his nihilism and breakdown at the end though I can’t tell if it’s because I’m twisted up or because that’s freaking great art.
It’s freaking great art.

And “Art is truth.”

It takes you to that place and reveals/teaches a basic human truth you can’t escape.

It’s why art is so important.
old salt

Post by old salt »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:53 pm
Bingo!

Hillary & Stacy are already preemptively whining about the 2022 election, just like Trump did/does.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

njbill wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:02 pm Election reform legislation has been passed by the House in this Congress, but not by the Senate. Schumer claims it will be approved by the Senate (where it has bipartisan support) in the lame duck session. We shall see.
Election reform.
Any shortening of term limits??
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:55 pm The progressive movement is currently in control without even being a recognized party....Biden is Bernie in disguise
YA, I love ya, but THIS is a MAJOR part of the problem. The American Right is delusional as to who's running things.

Of the 1st world nations, we are waaaaaay the F to the right, YA.

-no .gov health care
-no free (or next to free) training and education
-next to no unions
-military bases all over hell's half acre

It would be the EXACT opposite if progressives were calling the shots, my man. Hell, it would be close to the opposite if moderates like me were in charge. It's not even a close call, YA.

So if you think that the left is taking over? How are you going to react? That's right-------push more to the right. To wit: packing courts and Roe v. Wade, something Republicans agree with, FFS, gets cast aside.

Everyone kept saying how we need to walk in TrumpVoter's shoes. Y'all forgot to do the same, my man. Look at how America looks from the left, or from a minorities perspective. It would do ya good, IMHO.
njbill

Post by njbill »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:16 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:02 pm Election reform legislation has been passed by the House in this Congress, but not by the Senate. Schumer claims it will be approved by the Senate (where it has bipartisan support) in the lame duck session. We shall see.
Election reform.
Any shortening of term limits??
Nope. Not part of the legislation.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:18 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:55 pm The progressive movement is currently in control without even being a recognized party....Biden is Bernie in disguise
YA, I love ya, but THIS is a MAJOR part of the problem. The American Right is delusional as to who's running things.

Of the 1st world nations, we are waaaaaay the F to the right, YA.

-no .gov health care
-no free (or next to free) training and education
-next to no unions
-military bases all over hell's half acre

It would be the EXACT opposite if progressives were calling the shots, my man. Hell, it would be close to the opposite if moderates like me were in charge. It's not even a close call, YA.

So if you think that the left is taking over? How are you going to react? That's right-------push more to the right. To wit: packing courts and Roe v. Wade, something Republicans agree with, FFS, gets cast aside.

Everyone kept saying how we need to walk in TrumpVoter's shoes. Y'all forgot to do the same, my man. Look at how America looks from the left, or from a minorities perspective. It would do ya good, IMHO.
You see referencing minorities is part or the problem. We are all Americans. Pointing out differences is a problem.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Appears “conservative” values lower life expectancy.

“Smoke up, Johnny!”

‘Americans die younger in conservative states than in those governed by liberals, a new study has found.

The authors wrote: “Simulations indicate that changing all policy domains in all states to a fully liberal orientation might have saved 171,030 lives in 2019, while changing them to a fully conservative orientation might have cost 217,635 lives.”‘

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ral-states
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”