Athletes Unlimited 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: Athletes Unlimited 2022

Post by njbill »

My backer would only have to move a few feet back and forth and would only need to concentrate on being "in position" when a player is looking to shoot. Nothing like a backer in HS or college who has to stay outside the 8 and who really does have to run.

Plus you could rotate players into this backer position if one gets tired.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:20 pm My backer would only have to move a few feet back and forth and would only need to concentrate on being "in position" when a player is looking to shoot. Nothing like a backer in HS or college who has to stay outside the 8 and who really does have to run.

Plus you could rotate players into this backer position if one gets tired.
Haha I misread the part about the goal circle, not screening the goalie is going to be tough
DMac

Post by DMac »

You're going to put a player a couple of feet off the crease and follow the ball with her movement?
Doesn't this always leave a player open on the O? This is going to cost you, I think. Also, you nailed
the flaw, she will screen the GK doing that, no question about that.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yeah, you are probably right. That's why I asked for comments from the smart people. :)

Britt Read could say, get the F out of my way!!
njbill

Post by njbill »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:29 pm You're going to put a player a couple of feet off the crease and follow the ball with her movement?
Doesn't this always leave a player open on the O? This is going to cost you, I think. Also, you nailed
the flaw, she will screen the GK doing that, no question about that.
Agree it would leave someone open, but that is true with zones.

My thought is it would prevent shots from players whether they are open or not. And if the player doesn't shoot, then a screened goalie isn't an issue.

I can see I'm not getting any takers. :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

This is where Ally M is sorely missed. Down a couple late, I want AM on the field at that point.
njbill

Post by njbill »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:43 pm This is where Ally M is sorely missed. Down a couple late, I want AM on the field at that point.
Agree. Not only is she a strong player, but with only three field player subs on the roster, losing a middie puts you down to two middie subs (and two subs in total). Not ideal in this heat.

But dems the rules. She took a blind shot and is paying the price. And I say that as a big Ally lover.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Smart play by Kennedy, IMO, pretty much ices it.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Really really dumb shot by Kennedy. Just run it out. Now the game is tied.

Haha. Wrote that before I saw yours Dmac.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Check that...that's a 2 pointer.
9-9, OT.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kennedy redeems herself with the game winner in OT.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:57 pm Really really dumb shot by Kennedy. Just run it out. Now the game is tied.

Haha. Wrote that before I saw yours Dmac.
I liked her scoring but that risk can definitely come back to bite you as it did this time.
Redeems herself and puts in the winner. She's a good one.
njbill

Post by njbill »

To expand on the njbill zone defense (patent pending), I'd put two defenders on the posts, my backer follows the ball a yard or so off the goal circle (getting in the way of the shooter), and the other three defenders are spread out in an arc, say, a couple of yards inside the 8m arc. Everyone is really packed in. Shooting into and through this D would be tough. Also close-in interior passing would be tough. Especially with the hackathons the rules seem to allow.

So far I haven't gotten a call from AU. Lol.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You putting a player on the ball handler behind the cage? If not, that's where I'm coming at you from putting the D heads on a swivel.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:11 pm To expand on the njbill zone defense (patent pending), I'd put two defenders on the posts, my backer follows the ball a yard or so off the goal circle (getting in the way of the shooter), and the other three defenders are spread out in an arc, say, a couple of yards inside the 8m arc. Everyone is really packed in. Shooting into and through this D would be tough. Also close-in interior passing would be tough. Especially with the hackathons the rules seem to allow.

So far I haven't gotten a call from AU. Lol.
While I'm not sure about how it would look in the AU game, I genuinely think this would be a great reference for any new fans of women's college lacrosse that are baffled by the necessity of shooting space and 3 seconds :lol:
njbill

Post by njbill »

No, my defenders don't chase ball carriers behind. I have two, maybe three, defenders (post, backer, and maybe adjacent arc defender) who can collapse on someone trying to roll from behind. It does allow a player behind to sit there and feed (which concededly is a potential weakness), but with the packed in D, it would be tough to find someone open who (again) can be hacked to death by a defender without (apparently) a foul being called. Also the 60 sec shot clock (TM owned by Joe B.) cuts into the amount of time you have to clear, then set up behind, then feed inside.

Not saying my defense prevents all goals from being scored. The idea, like with any defense in any sport, is to minimize scoring.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Don't care for the points system in general, but some make more sense than others. Really don't care for points being awarded for winning a quarter. Points for winning the game, OK, if you must, but for a quarter?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yellow team is playing a zone. Two on the posts. Can't tell if they have one rover and three across the 8m arc or a little inside, or four across the arc. Not working so well so far.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Amber Falcone McKenzie just makes me smile. So awesome to have mom out there, good for her.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Drafting new teams, Apuzzo, Johansen (she's been very impressive), Moreno, Arsenault captains of the new teams.
First one drafted gonna be North?
Not if I'm drafting, Mastroianni is more valuable player in my book.
Who ya got first?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”