Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
VeryRustyRed wrote:I also see that Kason Tarbell is not listed on the team roster. I believe that Coach M previously stated that Tarbell would return this season.
I'm assuming that like John Glynn, RP, and Dan Lintner, having already graduated, Tabell is not allowed to return until the the Spring semester.
Having him return makes a huge difference to the team defensively, as it gives the team three, proven, quality ss's.
"already graduated"?

How would that work?
That's not what VRR meant. What he meant was that Tarbell (like RP3) needs an extra semester to finish up his degree, and has Ivy eligibility remaining. I presume this has been approved by the Ivy League (but have no actual info).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
VeryRustyRed wrote:I also see that Kason Tarbell is not listed on the team roster. I believe that Coach M previously stated that Tarbell would return this season.
I'm assuming that like John Glynn, RP, and Dan Lintner, having already graduated, Tabell is not allowed to return until the the Spring semester.
Having him return makes a huge difference to the team defensively, as it gives the team three, proven, quality ss's.
"already graduated"?

How would that work?
That's not what VRR meant. What he meant was that Tarbell (like RP3) needs an extra semester to finish up his degree, and has Ivy eligibility remaining. I presume this has been approved by the Ivy League (but have no actual info).
Right, that would make sense, not that any of these guys had actually "graduated".
Figured it had to be either misunderstood or just mis-stated.
I happen to know exactly how all this works as my son had a situation that he could have played that way due to various injuries. He would have needed to take off a regular term to have had unfilled credit requirements; But he wanted to finish up with his class on schedule. So, post graduation he had another year of D1 eligibility he could have used as a graduate program non-Ivy. But he had a third serious concussion in his last season and that was that for serious ball. He's done some coaching, though, most recently in Israel coaching the New Zealand team in the World Games, and has been playing a little fun club ball in Shanghai China where he's working now.
lgr2019

Post by lgr2019 »

another fan wrote:
lgr2019 wrote:For those who have asked, the offensive lineup vs. Maryland was:

Attack: Teat, Petterson, Piatelli (no split with Rupp like last season, at least in the scrimmage)
1st Line Mid: Donville, Fletcher, McCulloch
2nd Line: Licciardi, Telesco, Ward

From talking to those around the program it sounds like Coyle and Lombardi (who is out right now with injury) will both battle for that third attack spot, but the middie lines seem pretty set and looked very, very good against Maryland. Lots of time until the spring though and thoughts can change in a flash.
Thanks. Can you share the defensive lineup, too?
Defense rotated around a bit more, but from what I could tell it was:

Close D: Doria, Wallace, and Karey
LSM: Salvatore
SSDM: Bray, Bardwell, Welch, Barclay; with the first two receiving the bulk of the runs
G: Bullen (Ierlan is hurt this fall, not sure what the plan is for this competition)
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Congrats to Kyle Dake, CU '13 for a MILESTONE win today!

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/spo ... 728845002/

Local Kid makes good, Lansing's Kyle Dake wins world wrestling championship
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Dake had a pretty impressive resume prior to winning the worlds. Good for him for sticking with it.
dense

Post by dense »

Awesome, quite the accomplishment . Tough, tough sport and only the mentally strong succeed in that stratosphere so hat is off to him for hanging in there and winning a WC. Kid has been a great wrestler for a long time, Burroughs was a roadblock for all.
BigRedBlueJay

Post by BigRedBlueJay »

Long time Cornell lax fan. New to the forum. Look forward to participating. Any thoughts or news on the Teat shut off? Hopefully coaches have a plan.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I have a thought about this, and I hate to try to predict things. I think that this will be less of an issue in 2019. JT51 was one of the leading scorers for Canada in the 2019 Israel World Games, and a top scorer in the 2018 Minto Cup. He has most likely continued to progress in size, strength and skill. His "closer" 45CP did a fantastic job in the Minto Cup, and has also likely become stronger and more skilled over the Summer. Cornell lost very little on offense last year, and has some extremely talented new recruits. Also, the coaching staff has had time to work out added plays and plans. While I think that this could still be an issue with some of the top teams that Cornell will encounter, I think that it shouldl be less of a concern.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

RE: Locking Off Jeff Teat

Assumption - no coach who faces Cornell this season will repeat Andy Shay's gaff from last year's ILT.

-I certainly concur that the team will be (better) prepared to address the Teat lock off strategy.
-However, just the fact that locking Teat off alone takes Cornell out of its normal offense makes the strategy a success. Without the lock-off, Cornell's 6 on 6 offense was firing on all cylinders last year. And everyone agrees that the ball movement and motion was fun to watch. Locking Teat off forces Milliman to go to "Plan B."
-Additionally, I think the impact of the lock-off will be exacerbated by:
1) the shot clock
2) the loss of Dowiak's shoot of the dodge ability (note - Donville may be a better all-around player, especially given his passing skills, but he is not the dodger or shooter that Dowiak was)
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

VeryRustyRed wrote:RE: Locking Off Jeff Teat

Assumption - no coach who faces Cornell this season will repeat Andy Shay's gaff from last year's ILT.

-I certainly concur that the team will be (better) prepared to address the Teat lock off strategy.
-However, just the fact that locking Teat off alone takes Cornell out of its normal offense makes the strategy a success. Without the lock-off, Cornell's 6 on 6 offense was firing on all cylinders last year. And everyone agrees that the ball movement and motion was fun to watch. Locking Teat off forces Milliman to go to "Plan B."
-Additionally, I think the impact of the lock-off will be exacerbated by:
1) the shot clock
2) the loss of Dowiak's shoot of the dodge ability (note - Donville may be a better all-around player, especially given his passing skills, but he is not the dodger or shooter that Dowiak was)

Good points. I think that JM9 will fill the shooter/dodger role well.
another fan

Post by another fan »

McCulloch is a great shooter. While his dodging (and general all around play) has improved over his career, I think he is first and foremost a shooter.

We have lots of talent including two freshmen who will challenge for time, but I agree with VRR that the Teat issue will be ongoing and exacerbated by the shot clock.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

I think a lot of those problems solve themselves if Connor Fletcher can improve his shot accuracy and force the defense to slide or come out of their zone (or other junk defense) to defend him. He's gottta be a beast and play the Dowiak role (or better yet Connor Buczek.) McCulloch up top with either either Licciardi or Lombardi and our ball movement with Colton Rupp and Petterson down low - who's gonna want to play 5 on 5 against THAT? Or 6 on 5 if we work some magic with the substitution box? I'm not at all worried. We got this.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Cornell to play Penn State and Towson in a new tournament in March in Charlotte: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ders/53257
another fan

Post by another fan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFETv3cwPRU

New 2020 M commit, Monty Cook. Canadian connection continues, despite flips. Kid has speed and a physical style.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

“Physical style” may be an understatement!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

laxjuris wrote:Cornell to play Penn State and Towson in a new tournament in March in Charlotte: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ders/53257
Nice. I hope the games get streamed for those of us nowhere near Charlotte ...
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Please - someone tell me they are going to fly rather than bus!
I recall, I think it was 2007, they went by bus and beat Duke by a goal in Durham. Great game. I was on vacation in Florida and listened (with lots of static) on the radio. That, at least was Spring break. March 8-10 is not.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Lehigh posted on Twitter that they're playing in Ithaca on February 24th. The past few years we've played them toward the end of the season.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

My guess is that means they will be playing Lehigh, Penn State, Towson, and Yale consecutively. That's a pretty demanding stretch.
They will definitely be battle-tested going into the Ivy season.
Lehigh, by the way, should be very strong this year. Cornell has been able to dodge bullets against them each year in the contracted home/away series. Cassese will definitely be looking for payback.
For that matter, so will Tambroni after last season's game-ending swoon vs. Cornell.
another fan

Post by another fan »

New 2019 commit-- Ben Reilly, A, previously committed to Rutgers.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/ben-rei ... a08a9f5580

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”