Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PizzaSnake

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:10 am
FannOLax wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:31 pm Not much real insight or inside dirt, although some may quibble with Yale above Princeton:
https://laxallstars.com/ivy-league-lacr ... e-preview/
I'm expecting another terrific season for the Ivy in 2023. In any other league, Dartmouth... but...still, maybe...
Funny I follow Cornell a little bit bc of hobart relationship and know the university quite well but somehow whenever I see it written as Cornell university it jumps at me. They all are universities in Ivies I get but see optically Harvard U more than Cornell U.

To me is just Cornell. Like Prince. Or ideally like Kanye for all future games against Bart…
Yep, and Penn is !PennState... :)
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:31 pm Not much real insight or inside dirt, although some may quibble with Yale above Princeton:
I'm expecting another terrific season for the Ivy in 2023. In any other league, Dartmouth... but...still, maybe...
Funny I follow Cornell a little bit bc of hobart relationship and know the university quite well but somehow whenever I see it written as Cornell university it jumps at me. They all are universities in Ivies I get but see optically Harvard U more than Cornell U.

To me is just Cornell. Like Prince. Or ideally like Kanye for all future games against Bart…
Dartmouth College is Dartmouth College, undergraduate and any graduate programs (medical, business, engineering)...no U ever.

Harvard's undergraduate is Harvard College (the whole institution is Harvard University).

Princeton is always Princeton University.

Penn is always The University of ...Pennsylvania.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:00 pm

Dartmouth College is Dartmouth College, undergraduate and any graduate programs (medical, business, engineering)...no U ever.

Harvard's undergraduate is Harvard College (the whole institution is Harvard University).

Princeton is always Princeton University.

Penn is always The University of ...Pennsylvania.
that's what I thought but use the USNWR defintion of university vs. liberal arts, but fair clarification
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:35 am

My son actually asked if UPenn was a public school.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:38 pm

And then there's Cornell, which has multiple state colleges and 'school of' along with the private...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:35 pm

And then there's Cornell, which has multiple state colleges and 'school of' along with the private...
The UPenn question was funny. He was so young. Hadn’t given that much thought to college…. It all came up much sooner than we had anticipated.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Sigh ...

Cornell has NO STATE COLLEGES. It has several schools that are run under contract with the state.

As such, the state specifies tuition.

As a "land grant college," the entire operation has a rather close relation with the state. But it's 100% private.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Cornell is a land grant college. So is MIT and Tuskegee.

In the four contracted colleges admission standards are less onerous for in-state students, in-state tuition is available for in state students etc.

Cornell would recruit some athletes into the contract schools for that reason when i was in college. The lax team would occasionally get some lax players from Farmingdale ( hope that is the right one). A few first teamers. Other schools referred to it as a farm school. MIT is pretty good company to be in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land-grant_university
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:53 am Cornell is a land grant college. So is MIT and Tuskegee.

In the four contracted colleges admission standards are less onerous for in-state students, in-state tuition is available for in state students etc.

Cornell would recruit some athletes into the contract schools for that reason when i was in college. The lax team would occasionally get some lax players from Farmingdale ( hope that is the right one). A few first teamers. Other schools referred to it as a farm school. MIT is pretty good company to be in.

A lot of interesting stories involved with the land-grant act, with some ties also to Dartmouth, Yale and Brown, among others. See:

http://www.dartmo.com/nhc/http://www.dartmo.com/nhc/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:58 pm

The UPenn question was funny. He was so young. Hadn’t given that much thought to college…. It all came up much sooner than we had anticipated.
Ahh, ER... ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Ezra White wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:52 pm

Sigh ...

Cornell has NO STATE COLLEGES. It has several schools that are run under contract with the state.

As a "land grant college," the entire operation has a rather close relation with the state. But it's 100% private.
You stated it much more accurately than I did: https://www.suny.edu/campuses/cornell/

Yes, under contract with the state.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:58 pm

At least you didn't have to ask about the policies and procedures around coaches using the showers
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ezra White wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:52 pm

Sigh ...

I know this sticks in the craw of cornell folks and is often misunderstood or poorly described by others, sometimes intentionally.

But...does pushing back so hard and so frequently (not you buy collectively) signal a good look? What is the message hard and fast rebuttals look like to others? Just putting that in the ether to consider.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:53 am Cornell is a land grant college. So is MIT and Tuskegee.

Whatever the reality is, it only works as an effective "donkey punch" to Cornell folks becuase they seem to care too much about protecting and declaring their private status. If they let their actions on the field and as people stand on their own and let this slide like water off their backs the conversation would stop pretty quick.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:03 am

Whatever the reality is, it only works as an effective "donkey punch" to Cornell folks becuase they seem to care too much about protecting and declaring their private status. If they let their actions on the field and as people stand on their own and let this slide like water off their backs the conversation would stop pretty quick.

Maybe like the response to negative political ads, whether ads are true or lies: "if you're explaining, you're losing."
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

It would stop quicker without your unnecessary postings. Accuracy matters, in case you haven't noticed over the last six or so years.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:20 pm

Maybe like the response to negative political ads, whether ads are true or lies: "if you're explaining, you're losing."
Works
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Gobigred wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:06 pm

It would stop quicker without your unnecessary postings. Accuracy matters, in case you haven't noticed over the last six or so years.

What's accurate is how little respect you treat others with regularly. But for a person to have value others have to care. I don't with respect to you.

Technical and domain knowledge have little value when one doesn't understand humanity...accuracy is often a myth, eleganat mathematical models that never accurately reflect what happens in reality. Some people miss the point completely...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Just to be clear, I didn't mind Ezra's correction a bit...the "sigh" was unnecessary, but the correction was appreciated at least by me. I didn't intend to misstate, just pointing out that these questions are more complicated than what one might assume.

I don't think there's any need to be defensive, at least in terms of my intent. It had nothing to do with any sort of criticism; never occurred to me.

From a lax perspective, I, too, recall that Cornell was able to pull a few players into those colleges. Helped, at least in eras past...I'd think it might still?
It also helps that the AI is calculated on the entire undergrad body, which enables CU to have a slightly lower AI than any of the other Ivies. But it's still darn high, so no need to be defensive.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:51 pm

Just to be clear, I didn't mind Ezra's correction a bit...the "sigh" was unnecessary, but the correction was appreciated at least by me. I didn't intend to misstate, just pointing out that these questions are more complicated than what one might assume.

I don't think there's any need to be defensive, at least in terms of my intent. It had nothing to do with any sort of criticism; never occurred to me.

From a lax perspective, I, too, recall that Cornell was able to pull a few players into those colleges. Helped, at least in eras past...I'd think it might still?
It also helps that the AI is calculated on the entire undergrad body, which enables CU to have a slightly lower AI than any of the other Ivies. But it's still darn high, so no need to be defensive.
Who's defensive? Everything you wrote above is true. I didn't like Farfrom's unnecessary assertion that Cornell guys are "defensive" about the fact that Cornell is contracted to operate a number of schools for the state. We just like it expressed correctly, as Ezra did. We understand the advantage it gives in recruiting within New York.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”