Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy Lacrosse 2019

Post by old salt »

Anybody "eyes on" the Navy - Richmond scrimmage ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Mids started slow and very tight. Saw Navy shuffling players around looking for some chemistry and toying with personnel on offense primarily. Spiders went up by a few before our LSM said its time to get things started. By half we were down 3 or 4 I believe. After halftime the personnel looked more comfortable together and there was more flow to the game. Navy went on a run and it ended up very close in points, I do no know the final after the starters left....I heard we were up by 1, I heard tied...no clue.

Our defense was hot and cold. I wish I had film to watch what was going on. It "appeared" they were in great shape when they just moved their feet covering their man, then when they started throwing checks, either their feet slowed down or the checks were too gaping opening the door for the ball carrier. Faceoffs were not bad, won some lost some, wings need work.

With only 7-juniors on the roster I was nice seeing more new faces out there getting reps, Mids will need their full support next year.

I will add that it was nice hearing coach talking to his men while they were on the field and asking them to run something when it appeared they were acting like men in uniform waiting for orders. That was refreshing to hear, putting trust in his men to get organized and make something happen, as they see fit. Seems both coach and players are furthering the coach/player relationship a bit
more.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Vermont could be a tough opponent!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agreed, which is why I am glad they are on the schedule.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Nice opening 13-8 win for the Mids over Vermont. Mids mostly in control throughout, although Vermont had a run in the fourth to cut Navy's lead to 3 before the Mids put it away with a couple of really nice goals. A few thoughts:
  • Great to have Ryan Kern -- he was lights out. The young defense played decently well for stretches, I thought, but Kern bailed them out consistently when there was a defensive miscue (some problems on switching, getting hung up on the goal, little bit shaky in transition at points). You can't count on a 65% save percentage every game, though, so hopefully the defense can tighten up some as things progress and they get more experience.
  • Ditto on Greyson Torain -- he continues to be such a weapon.
  • I thought Barry at face-off got more confidence and got better as the game continued -- I think as he gets more experience he will be a solid performer at the X for Navy; he got some nice wing play to help him out.
  • Patrick Walsh wasn't satisfied to score his first career goal, he threw in an extra so he can add "first career multi-goal game" to "first career goal" for this one -- it's always great to see guys do that in their senior year. Plebe Nick Cole also gets "career first goal/career first multi-goal game" with two 4Q scores.
  • Thought Ryan Wade did a nice job as "field general" -- some really good passing from him.
  • Favorite plays: (1) Awesome dive goal by Daniel coming from behind to score the 11th goal in Q4 and stop a 4th Q run by Vermont; (2) Daniel strips the Vermont goalie on the 10-man ride, passes to Torain for the goal in Q3; and (3) Ryan Kern makes an unconscious play to block a quickstick attempt on his doorstep just inside 3 minutes to go in 3Q.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Very encouraging way to begin the season. VT might end the season as a QW for Navy in the ncaa shuffle.

The Mids controlled the pace. Their 10 man ride & pressing Team D kept VT off balance most of the game. When VT finally got untracked in Q4, the Mids made big plays all over the field to break their momentum & thwart a run.

It's great to see guys step up, both the plebes & the former reserves who kept working & earned their chance :

-- Walsh has found his niche as a crease attackman, Jacob Mandish as a crease d-man.
-- SSDM, with only one experienced returnee, was the biggest ? going in. Alexander came up big. VT tried to work him from their first possession. They only beat him once & he forced a key Q4 CT which broke their momentum.
-- MF2 got limited runs, but #40 earned his # by sacrificing his body, blocking a shot in transition & breaking VT's run.
-- Foster worked his way onto MF1 & showed why, with a nice lefty goal.
-- Plebe Cole had an impressive debut as a lefty attackman. A little tentative at first, he asserted himself in Q4 with a lefty wraparound goal, followed by a long range righty rip on emo. Fellow plebe Sweeney was a confident long range emo shooter who got a pipe on his first shot.
-- Plebe FOGO Barry gained confidence with OJT as the game progressed, & won Q4, stalling VT's comeback. He looks promising.
-- Kern shutdown VT's comeback with several big saves. TeamD was in sync.
-- The Mids moved the ball well, with confidence. They had no trouble with the shot clock. Just get the ball to #6 on the point.

Good start to build upon. The potential is there. Keep improving.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

So encourageing to see multiple scorers, I belive 7 in total. Assists a plenty, ball moved well. EMO looked like poo and Zone offense looked lke poo, except at one point you could see a quick huddle and the next possesion there was a nice xone bustiing play that provided a nice shot on goal.

For crying out load, the friggen wings on faceoff never seem to win the GB when its a 3v3 fight. Barry held his own for sure. Maybe we need 3 SS's out there that are fighters, we seem to watch the other teams players and not have a grit for the ball, we lost quite a few possessions on missed GB opportunities.

Such a blessing to see an entire attack line that can ride and pressure. That takeway orfling mentioned by #17 on the Vermont Goalie then the quick assist to #6 for the goal was sexy as hell. The open spots on our rides seem to be right in the middle of the field just over midline and in front of the restratining line...tweak that zone ride in between the lines and consider moving the goalie a bit higher in that ride.

Men played well...conservative at times and pushed pace at times...there is chemistry on this team and the younger players will only get better.

On to UMBC....#GoNavy.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:51 pm ...the friggen wings on faceoff never seem to win the GB when its a 3v3 fight. Barry held his own for sure. Maybe we need 3 SS's out there that are fighters, we seem to watch the other teams players and not have a grit for the ball, we lost quite a few possessions on missed GB opportunities.
Go back in the video archives & put together a reel of how Steve Looney & Matt Bitter used to do it. For inspiration, if nothing else.
I'd try #16 on the wing.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:51 pm ...the friggen wings on faceoff never seem to win the GB when its a 3v3 fight. Barry held his own for sure. Maybe we need 3 SS's out there that are fighters, we seem to watch the other teams players and not have a grit for the ball, we lost quite a few possessions on missed GB opportunities.
Go back in the video archives & put together a reel of how Steve Looney & Matt Bitter used to do it. For inspiration, if nothing else.
I'd try #16 on the wing.
That is my point oldsalt. I can see they made a minor adjustment and at least have them starting hip to hip, as opposed to seperated on the pullside of their own F/O man, but the damned will to just want the ball at all costs is not there. Isolate gb's in film coaching staff, you can practice them 40 hours...it boils down to salt of the earth, will, grit, and eff the other guys this beeotch is mine. And IMO, it should not be your best senior midfielder who you need on offense....regardless of what you think, he insticntively knows he needs and wants to stay healthy and may be just a bit reserved, enough so, to avoid a hard check on the hands in a scrum during a face-off. His choices are challenging at best.....do I go all in on this chaotic GB scrum/collision, or play it just safe enough in order to stay healthy for my team. To me its an easy choice as a player, it is no different than attackman who are leary of playing inside or a WR in football not being all in on a crossing route with Ed Reed as safety.
~Livy
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

I'd try #16 on the wing.
Nice to see the 1st game win ! Vermont is much improved and played Navy closer than I thought . The Inside Lacrosse computer had Vermont in a big win , that just didn't happen. i was very impressed with the Patriot League TV coverage ( much improved ) and really enjoyed Joe Miller . Joe was very well prepared , thoughtful and most importantly ( like VONL ) very clinical . No raging madman nonsense like we hear on ESPN and sometimes on CBS SPORTS . Navy is very fortunate to have 2 professionals like Joe and the VONL !

What do we see with UMBC ?

"T"
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
The Orfling

Re: Navy 2019

Post by The Orfling »

Quint K gives Ryan Wade a well-deserved shout-out in his Inside Lacrosse weekly round-up, calling him "a terrific player nobody talks about" and highlighting his five assists vs. Vermont: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eday/53723
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Tecumseh wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:59 pm
I'd try #16 on the wing.
Nice to see the 1st game win ! Vermont is much improved and played Navy closer than I thought . The Inside Lacrosse computer had Vermont in a big win , that just didn't happen. i was very impressed with the Patriot League TV coverage ( much improved ) and really enjoyed Joe Miller . Joe was very well prepared , thoughtful and most importantly ( like VONL ) very clinical . No raging madman nonsense like we hear on ESPN and sometimes on CBS SPORTS . Navy is very fortunate to have 2 professionals like Joe and the VONL !

What do we see with UMBC ?

"T"
Is Navy’s schedule stronger this year, or is it still watered down for success?

W
old salt

Post by old salt »

This sched is pretty good. OOC opponents = MD, Cuse, Prin, VT, UMBC.

PL is well balanced, below Loyola. If PL teams do well OOC, Navy will have ample QW opportunities to compete for an AL bid if they make it to the PLT final, if they don't snag the AQ.

Get JHU back on, starting next year & retain MD, it'll be good for the out years.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:50 pm Quint K gives Ryan Wade a well-deserved shout-out in his Inside Lacrosse weekly round-up, calling him "a terrific player nobody talks about" and highlighting his five assists vs. Vermont: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eday/53723
Long overdue, long over due, but surely appreciated. Maybe QK can spend a bit more time learning about these young men.

From the Navy Stat Tracker:
Stat Tracker: Navy senior midfielder Ryan Wade owns the nation's 11th-longest scoring streak with a goal or an assist in each of the last 25 contests. He has produced 64 points on 18 goals and 46 assists during the streak that dates back to the Feb. 25, 2017 contest against Boston University.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Is anyone going to the UMBC game? Looks like pretty good weather, with temps in the 50s. I know that a lot of people are viewing UMBC's defense as one of the finest in America. Could be an exciting match-up with Navy's fast-paced offense.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I anticipate seeing UMBC drop into zone quite a bit. Sure hope Navy practiced for that this week. If the Navy offense struggles to crack the UMBC zone this could turn into a very low scoring game.....I would like to see the Navy attackmen setup more towards the crease as the ball is coming across midfield to pull those defenders inside, then mix up how the attack breaks... L, Flat, V, etc to stress the UMBC defense as the ball approaches, which will get them and the goalie eyes and feet moving.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

Climate change is great. Good size UMBC crowd.

Bring on the Terps !
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Navy 26 turnovers. UMBC 25 turnovers.

Is this the new brand of lacrosse? UGH!!!!

What happened to the top five defense from UMBC? Guys could not make one pass to set up clear. Very ugly. Almost unwatchable. And weather was not an excuse.
old salt

Post by old salt »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Yay, 2-0 is better than 0-1.

Down at The Republic of Eastport last night with the Wombatress on V-Day+1.

Not sure if it was the 64 F degree weather or what, but I saw quite a few things on display:

1) short skirts
2) cleavage
3) bare midriffs
4) pierced belly button jewelry

Damn. It’s really difficult to concentrate when I have to keep thinking “Avert the eyes! Avert the eyes!”

I’ll be thinking that while watching lacrosse this afternoon too.

Is LL around?

W

Anyway, cousin Groundhog was at least partially right - spring bosoms blossomed early this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”