THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HopFan16 wrote:The Jays scrimmaged Japan's Waseda University today on the practice field. Looks like Epstein is wearing Shack's #32 jersey. Jake Lilly, a freshman middie from Severn, looks like he's about 7 feet tall. Clips and photos on the team's Instagram story: https://www.instagram.com/stories/jhumenslax
What makes you think they didn’t switch their jersey numbers around to throw off any scouting and the Japanese? (TIC)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:The Jays scrimmaged Japan's Waseda University today on the practice field. Looks like Epstein is wearing Shack's #32 jersey. Jake Lilly, a freshman middie from Severn, looks like he's about 7 feet tall. Clips and photos on the team's Instagram story: https://www.instagram.com/stories/jhumenslax
What makes you think they didn’t switch their jersey numbers around to throw off any scouting and the Japanese? (TIC)
It seems as though everyone was wearing their usual numbers, though with the Japanese involved perhaps there was another layer of subterfuge that we are not aware of.

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 1260382208
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Big time get for the Jays.
No. 2 junior Brendan Grimes, A, Boys' Latin (Md.) / @Looneys2020lax has switched from Ohio State to Hopkins. The 6'3 lefty scorer racked up 60 goals and 15 assists for the Lakers this spring
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/10 ... 6257221634

Arrives the year that Cole graduates.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

HopFan16 wrote:Big time get for the Jays.
No. 2 junior Brendan Grimes, A, Boys' Latin (Md.) / @Looneys2020lax has switched from Ohio State to Hopkins. The 6'3 lefty scorer racked up 60 goals and 15 assists for the Lakers this spring
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/10 ... 6257221634

Arrives the year that Cole graduates.
Grimes’ switch is absolutely huge. Since losing 2019 attack Shellenberger, the next two classes were lacking size and prolific scoring at that position. Grimes will remedy that issue and fit perfectly in the Jays offense.

Like Williams, Grimes is a natural left hander with dodging ability and multiple release points. He also has tremendous accuracy. His 2018 highlights are below.

https://youtu.be/bOmAovTDD9M
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote:
It seems as though everyone was wearing their usual numbers, though with the Japanese involved perhaps there was another layer of subterfuge that we are not aware of.

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 1260382208
The notion that JHU would/should bother to try to have any 'subterfuge' when playing Waseda University is pretty ridiculous, so I assume your tongue was firmly in your cheek on that one.

It's possible that JHU might switch around jerseys in fall scrimmages against potential spring opponents, and for film purposes making it a little more difficult for opponents to scout re spring competition...but certainly not to confuse any Japanese...

Agree re Grimes...excellent "get".
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Yes it was a joke. A bad joke perhaps, but a joke nonetheless. The Jays wore their normal numbers for the scrimmage. The number switching mostly only happens for the spring scrimmages.

Grimes looks like the second coming of Williams. With an even better shot. Impressive that he was so productive as an underclassmen at BL and still has two years to get better.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

HopFan16 wrote:Yes it was a joke. A bad joke perhaps, but a joke nonetheless. The Jays wore their normal numbers for the scrimmage. The number switching mostly only happens for the spring scrimmages.

Grimes looks like the second coming of Williams. With an even better shot. Impressive that he was so productive as an underclassmen at BL and still has two years to get better.
It’s not just a joke - it’s a statement.

Every damn year in recent memory, jersey numbers have been switched up, and with good reason.

But the unintended side effect of this is that parents can’t often make out who is their son, unless he has some feature about him: tall, really short, maybe a bit big in the middle with a goalie stick. That kind of thing.

There’s a very easy solution to this problem for the parents that could easily be coordinated and approved by the team. This will sound ridiculous, but it would solve the problem for the parents.

Each player be able to send a variant of the message prior to the scrimmage: “Hey mom, I will be the only guy wearing a green sock on his left foot.”

Mix in enough colors, and maybe have two different colors involved, one left, one right, and presto! No two players with the same color combo, and just like that, you have a solution that would please all of the parents who have travelled long distances to see their kid.

Don’t think this is a problem?

Hang with the parents sometime and see for yourself.

Having to bring binoculars and spending the first half of the scrimmage trying to figure out who is yours is a royal pain in the ass, especially when many are paying big $$$ to send them there.

They want to see their kid. Period.

Make it easier for them.

Sock subterfuge is an answer.

And a MD fan is too xxxx to really realize that yes it’s a real joke. Sheesh!!!

I believe in self policing on this board, so I’ll censor myself. xxxx

W
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

W[/quote]
HopFan16 wrote:Yes it was a joke. A bad joke perhaps, but a joke nonetheless. The Jays wore their normal numbers for the scrimmage. The number switching mostly only happens for the spring scrimmages.

Every damn year in recent memory, jersey numbers have been switched up, and with good reason.

But the unintended side effect of this is that parents can’t often make out who is their son, unless he has some feature about him: tall, really short, maybe a bit big in the middle with a goalie stick. That kind of thing.

There’s a very easy solution to this problem for the parents that could easily be coordinated and approved by the team. This will sound ridiculous, but it would solve the problem for the parents.

Each player be able to send a variant of the message prior to the scrimmage: “Hey mom, I will be the only guy wearing a green sock on his left foot.”

Mix in enough colors, and maybe have two different colors involved, one left, one right, and presto! No two players with the same color combo, and just like that, you have a solution that would please all of the parents who have travelled long distances to see their kid.

Having to bring binoculars and spending the first half of the scrimmage trying to figure out who is yours is a royal pain in the ass, especially when many are paying big $$$ to send them there.

Make it easier for them.

W
Wombat, I don't know what xxxx means, so I won't get offended. I'll just assume you are kidding too and I'm just a bit too dense to understand.

The 'joke' was that Hopkins would have any valid reason to try to confuse the Japanese in a scrimmage in September.

I happen to think that switching around jerseys for ANY fall scrimmage is a bit silly. I'm not worried about parents being able to figure out who their own son is as that really isn't a problem for any parent who has spent years of watching their kid run around with gear on. I never had any problem picking out my son regardless of what penny he was wearing and for that matter never had any issue picking out his buddies from youth lax, club ball, etc. Now, recognizing the rest of the kids is much harder, but my objection is not on behalf of the parent fans but rather just on sending the notion to the players that if an opposing team knows what # say Cole Williams is wearing and how he looks coming around the goal that means you can stop him when you see that # in the spring. I'm more of the mindset that the best teams don't worry about that. What they should concern themselves is building an esprit d' corps and a winning team attitude. But that's just my layman opinion and I'm surely not the coach!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Online roster looks like it's been updated for 2019.

We appear to have lost Cam Hyde, Joe Pollard, and Hunter Graefe. (Giacalone still isn't on the roster but apparently he will be back?)

Additionally, incoming freshmen Liam Darragh (goalie, Calvert Hall) and Jack Burnett (attack, St. Mary's) are not listed.

Everything else seems to be in order. Only minimal # switches. Darby is now #15, Fox is now #18 for Hunts. Everyone else is the same as last year. Joey has indeed taken #32 over from Shack.

If there's one theme about this freshman class, it's size:

- M Alex Mabbett, 6'4'' 215
- M Garrett Degnon, 6'4'' 210
- LSM Logan Blondell, 6'4'' 210
- M Jake Lilly 6'4'' 205
- M Evan Zinn, 6'3'' 200
- G Alex Gainey, 6'3'' 195
- FOGO Matt Narewski, 6'3'' 195
- D Jake Calnan, 6'0'', 215
- LSM Owen McManus, 6'0'' 195
- D Michael Gomez, 6'0'' 190

Four middies who are 6'3'' or taller. Gonna have to come up with a nickname for these guys.

And because I know there was some debate about this earlier, for the one or two of you who actually care about such things, Epstein is officially listed at 5'11''.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote:
We appear to have lost Cam Hyde, Joe Pollard, and Hunter Graefe. (Giacalone still isn't on the roster but apparently he will be back?)
Giacalone is on the roster - #17
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

MDlaxfan76 wrote:W

Make it easier for them.

W
Wombat, I don't know what xxxx means, so I won't get offended. I'll just assume you are kidding too and I'm just a bit too dense to understand.

The 'joke' was that Hopkins would have any valid reason to try to confuse the Japanese in a scrimmage in September.

I happen to think that switching around jerseys for ANY fall scrimmage is a bit silly. I'm not worried about parents being able to figure out who their own son is as that really isn't a problem for any parent who has spent years of watching their kid run around with gear on. I never had any problem picking out my son regardless of what penny he was wearing and for that matter never had any issue picking out his buddies from youth lax, club ball, etc. Now, recognizing the rest of the kids is much harder, but my objection is not on behalf of the parent fans but rather just on sending the notion to the players that if an opposing team knows what # say Cole Williams is wearing and how he looks coming around the goal that means you can stop him when you see that # in the spring. I'm more of the mindset that the best teams don't worry about that. What they should concern themselves is building an esprit d' corps and a winning team attitude. But that's just my layman opinion and I'm surely not the coach![/quote]

I wish this site had a modern “like” button.

MDlaxfan76 - I’m getting old and frequent this site sporadically. To be honest, I forgot what I was going to put in the xxxx spot. Have a great fall!

W
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:
Giacalone is on the roster - #17
Glad to hear.

Congrats to Tinney and Bruno on getting drafted to the NLL.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:W

Make it easier for them.

W

I happen to think that switching around jerseys for ANY fall scrimmage is a bit silly. I'm not worried about parents being able to figure out who their own son is as that really isn't a problem for any parent who has spent years of watching their kid run around with gear on. I never had any problem picking out my son regardless of what penny he was wearing and for that matter never had any issue picking out his buddies from youth lax, club ball, etc. Now, recognizing the rest of the kids is much harder, but my objection is not on behalf of the parent fans but rather just on sending the notion to the players that if an opposing team knows what # say Cole Williams is wearing and how he looks coming around the goal that means you can stop him when you see that # in the spring. I'm more of the mindset that the best teams don't worry about that. What they should concern themselves is building an esprit d' corps and a winning team attitude. But that's just my layman opinion and I'm surely not the coach!
I wish this site had a modern “like” button.

MDlaxfan76 - I’m getting old and frequent this site sporadically. To be honest, I forgot what I was going to put in the xxxx spot. Have a great fall!

W[/quote]

You too Wombat!
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

Now that the 2019 roster is up, I'd like to ask the elephant-in-the-room question. Of the midfielders listed on the roster, who would run the second line? If we assume Concannon, DeSimone, and Zinn are the first line, here is what we are left with (excluding Daniel Jones):

Freshman:
Jack Hawley
Alexander Mabbett
Jakob Lilly
Garrett Degnon
Taite Cattoni

Returning players (cumulative 0 goals, 1 assist in 2018):
Matt Hubler
Ryan Coulter
Matt Stagnitta
Brendan O'Neill
Zach Ernst
Kyle DiPietro

Seems like at least one listed attackman will be needed as middie. Taking out Marr, Williams and Epstein (who figure to start at attack), here are the remaining attackmen:
Brett Baskin
Forry Smith
Luke Shilling
Jake Fox
Jack Keogh

Thoughts on the best skill-sets to fill the midfielder need?
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
Race Bannon

Post by Race Bannon »

HopFan16 wrote:Online roster looks like it's been updated for 2019.

If there's one theme about this freshman class, it's size:

- M Alex Mabbett, 6'4'' 215
- M Garrett Degnon, 6'4'' 210
- LSM Logan Blondell, 6'4'' 210
- M Jake Lilly 6'4'' 205
- M Evan Zinn, 6'3'' 200
- G Alex Gainey, 6'3'' 195
- FOGO Matt Narewski, 6'3'' 195
- D Jake Calnan, 6'0'', 215
- LSM Owen McManus, 6'0'' 195
- D Michael Gomez, 6'0'' 190

Four middies who are 6'3'' or taller. Gonna have to come up with a nickname for these guys.
Their average height might be greater than the Hopkins hoops team.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote:Now that the 2019 roster is up, I'd like to ask the elephant-in-the-room question. Of the midfielders listed on the roster, who would run the second line? If we assume Concannon, DeSimone, and Zinn are the first line, here is what we are left with (excluding Daniel Jones):

Freshman:
Jack Hawley
Alexander Mabbett
Jakob Lilly
Garrett Degnon
Taite Cattoni

Returning players (cumulative 0 goals, 1 assist in 2018):
Matt Hubler
Ryan Coulter
Matt Stagnitta
Brendan O'Neill
Zach Ernst
Kyle DiPietro

Seems like at least one listed attackman will be needed as middie. Taking out Marr, Williams and Epstein (who figure to start at attack), here are the remaining attackmen:
Brett Baskin
Forry Smith
Luke Shilling
Jake Fox
Jack Keogh

Thoughts on the best skill-sets to fill the midfielder need?
I wouldn't completely count out Epstein starting his career as a midfielder or "4th attackman" out of the box, in which case the starting attack would likely be Marr, Williams, and Smith, who filled in at X for Shack in the 2 games he was hurt last year. So that would fill up at least one spot. Whether it's attack or "midfield," Joey is going to see the field. I think it's probably more likely he ultimately winds up starting at attack, although if you ask me there is a nonzero chance that doesn't happen until later in the season.

Zinn and Mabbett are somewhat similar players—big north-south dodgers who can shoot on the run or with feet set. You would think the similar skill sets would put them on different midfield lines. Lilly is another giant though I haven't seen much of his game. Cattoni is much smaller than his older brother but quicker and based on what I've seen, not afraid to dodge at bigger players. Degnon is in the Zinn/Mabbett boat, except he's a lefty. He has a little bit of Cole Williams to his game too as he likes to dodge from the wing and back his defenders down with his size. I don't know anything about Hawley.

With the new rules they may have to prioritize playing time for guys with size/speed who can get initiate transition, or get back in the hole and play defense. Luckily this freshman class is full of guys with those measurables. Lots of questions, lots of inexperience, but some promising candidates to fill those roles. I have a feeling this is going to be a high impact freshman class. And it sort of needs to be, with the losses of Stanwick, Tinney, Moreland, and Turnbaugh.

Hubler, Coulter, and DiPietro are SSDMs. If it was ever going to happen for Stagnitta you'd think it would have happened by now but he'll certainly have an opportunity to finally crack the lineup with all the midfield losses to graduation.

Baskin and Keogh will likely continue to come in through the box as "midfielders," but both of their games are much closer to that of an attackman, especially Baskin who looked good on the invert in limited minutes in 2018. He has a quick first step and is an accurate shooter. Keogh showed brief flashes but it never came together for him as a freshman, though now as a sophomore with a year of experience and a full offseason of Jay Dyer (and a year removed from an injury that kept him out of his senior year of high school), Keogh is my pick to be one of the team's most improved players in 2019.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

A few comments on the posts above:

(1) Switching jerseys is not only silly, it sends the wrong message. In fact, what the Blue Jays should do is practice with their correct jerseys, run their most “secret” plays and sets, video the entire thing, and send a copy to each head coach in Division I lacrosse with a cover letter that says: “This is what we’re going to do, and you won’t be able to stop us. Love and kisses, Dave.”

(2) If Joey Epstein is truly your attackman of the future, let him start at attack on day 1 and don’t waste time putzing around.

(3) Wombat is lying, just like Brett Kavanaugh ... he certainly does know what “xxxx” means. :roll: ;)

That is all.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote:A few comments on the posts above:

(1) Switching jerseys is not only silly, it sends the wrong message. In fact, what the Blue Jays should do is practice with their correct jerseys, run their most “secret” plays and sets, video the entire thing, and send a copy to each head coach in Division I lacrosse with a cover letter that says: “This is what we’re going to do, and you won’t be able to stop us. Love and kisses, Dave.”

(2) If Joey Epstein is truly your attackman of the future, let him start at attack on day 1 and don’t waste time putzing around.

(3) Wombat is lying, just like Brett Kavanaugh ... he certainly does know what “xxxx” means. :roll: ;)

That is all.

DocBarrister 8-)
I'll agree with #1 and #2. :)
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

IMO - while it may not be absolute zero chance Epstein is not at X from day one - it would be a complete waste of his skill set - he is an attackman not a midfielder

As far as switching jerseys I have been to numerous Hopkins scrimmages where the jerseys were correct. I have been told by former players that it can often be the players' idea to have fun. I don't think Dave really thinks it is effective subterfuge

As far as the second line - if you buy DeSimone, Zinn and Concannon as the 1's the list definitely comes from the freshmen and the converted attackmen. I am sure all folks associated with the program would issue vehement denials, but Smith was coerced to stay with something - Baskin and Keogh will be in the mix as well. Cattoni and Mabbett might be the first two freshmen you think of.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Just to be clear I was not suggesting Epstein play midfield, just that I think there is a possibility, even if it's a small one, that they run him out of the box initially. I think he should be at X from day one.

That said, I'm very curious to see how the shot clock affects the lineup. Don't think anything should be taken for granted. There could be a lot of moving parts. Outside of Marr and Williams on attack, I'm not sure there's much on offense is totally set in stone. As far as the second midfield line goes, they'll probably do a rotation of 5 or 6 guys until 3 or 4 emerge as the best options. And don't be surprised if most of those guys are the bigger/faster guys who can help in transition and wouldn't be liabilities if stuck on defense.

I don't know if Smith was promised a bigger role or not and I won't play that behind-the-scenes guessing game but I do know that Petro publicly said (in Ed Lee's 2018 season review) that this was going to be an important offseason of development for him. So I think it's fair to assume they expect him to have a role, whether it's at attack or as a converted midfielder.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”