USA Lacrosse Magazine Announces Division I Men's All-Americans

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: USA Lacrosse Magazine Announces Division I Men's All-Americans

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:34 pm
1766 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am Shellenberger as 3rd teams seems low. Kamish might be the best SSDM in the country. Honorable mention is inaccurate.
His performance when Moore was hurt was what probably moved him down.
I believe he got hurt himself.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

rasheed wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:57 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:44 pm Unfortunate - no room for Moore,
maybe he shows up on one of the other AAs
if he and UVA have a string tournament.
So the kid Frank Urso said was the greatest player he ever saw, who just broke Stanwicks all time points record and who was picked 4th in the PLL draft - doesn’t make HM?
The funny thing, too, is people are saying it's because Moore missed games due to injury. So did the GT goalie, and GT didn't skip a beat. Yet McElroy is the 1st AA goalie. Interesting.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Wheels wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:35 pm
So the kid Frank Urso said was the greatest player he ever saw, who just broke Stanwicks all time points record and who was picked 4th in the PLL draft - doesn’t make HM?
The funny thing, too, is people are saying it's because Moore missed games due to injury. So did the GT goalie, and GT didn't skip a beat. Yet McElroy is the 1st AA goalie. Interesting.
[/quote

Scharfenberger mostly played well in relief and Hoyas did win while he was hurt but I think the Georgetown Lehigh game in particular would have been a very different score with McElroy playing.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

1766 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:28 am Shellenberger as 3rd teams seems low. Kamish might be the best SSDM in the country. Honorable mention is inaccurate.
I’m still shocked Kamish didn’t get drafted last night...kid is legit good yet continues to fly under the radar.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:12 pm
Did he? He hit a cold streak at the end of the season… but hadn’t heard about an injury.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Surprised that Urso never watched tape of himself. Talk about a player.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:05 am
They didn't have tape back then...just cave etchings. :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:51 am
Jlax92 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:29 am I agree that second team for Pat Kav is pretty generous.
A ridiculous number of ACC all Americans for all the talk about an inferior level of lacrosse compared to the Ivy, which had three ALl Americans on the 1st 2nd and third teams
those guys on the ivies don't care about individual awards. they are about team accomplishment, they'd much rather have that. and that starts a new chapter this weekend.
Given the reactions, I think they missed the implied wink emoji...
Typical Lax Dad

MoralTerpitude wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 am
Did he? He hit a cold streak at the end of the season… but hadn’t heard about an injury.
I believe he took a hard hit that could have injured his shoulder but he played through it. His production dropped off after that but I didn’t hear anything official.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:47 am
I believe he took a hard hit that could have injured his shoulder but he played through it. His production dropped off after that but I didn’t hear anything official.
maybe shoulder, didn't miss much time.
the hoos by good fortune got what they needed. rest. if mostly healed up, they'll have the chance to make noise, but they'll have to play better consistently and had better clean up things defensively. it won't happen just because they made late runs in previous years.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

2nd best lacrosse player EVER, behind only EAMAN. Watched him play up close and personal as my high school played Brentwood yearly. He was an absolute beast. Like 6'4, 220. He was also great in football and basketball.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
another fan

Post by another fan »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:27 am
2nd best lacrosse player EVER, behind only EAMAN. Watched him play up close and personal as my high school played Brentwood yearly. He was an absolute beast. Like 6'4, 220. He was also great in football and basketball.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Urso may have looked that big to you in High School but I believe he was listed as 5'9" 190. certainly one of the all time greats, though. Back in the day, Cornell had some nice players from Brentwood like Pat Gallagher and Bill Malloy, but the world has changed for Brentwood in lacrosse and otherwise.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:22 am
the hoos by good fortune got what they needed. rest. if mostly healed up, they'll have the chance to make noise, but they'll have to play better consistently and had better clean up things defensively. it won't happen just because they made late runs in previous years.
Wait a minute! I thought in lacrosse past results reflect future performance!!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

another fan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:16 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:27 am
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Urso may have looked that big to you in High School but I believe he was listed as 5'9" 190. certainly one of the all time greats, though. Back in the day, Cornell had some nice players from Brentwood like Pat Gallagher and Bill Malloy, but the world has changed for Brentwood in lacrosse and otherwise.
I may have mixed up Frank for another dude on that Brentwood team.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, Mitch Kupchak may also be a Brentwood alum.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Post by 1766 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:06 pm
I’m still shocked Kamish didn’t get drafted last night...kid is legit good yet continues to fly under the radar.
You would think he will get an invite to camp. I'm not sure what the PLL talent scouts are missing but he is clearly in the top 3 in SSDM in college right now. For my money, I'd rate him above Puglise from Maryland. He's equally as good one on one, but he is has more offensive capabilities. Same with Maher from UNC.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

1766 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:57 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:06 pm
You would think he will get an invite to camp. I'm not sure what the PLL talent scouts are missing but he is clearly in the top 3 in SSDM in college right now. For my money, I'd rate him above Puglise from Maryland. He's equally as good one on one, but he is has more offensive capabilities. Same with Maher from UNC.
Wasn’t as big a fan of Puglise previously, but he has really taken a step up this year on both ends of the field. 9G, 2A, .563 shooting percentage, 30GB, complete lockdown defender. Maryland’s greatly improved transition/unsettled offense is due to his jump in offensive production, as well as Weirman. Don’t think any other SSDM has put up numbers like that.

Post by 1766 »

I believe those numbers are better than Kamish's but not all SSDM numbers are the same. If they kept hockey assist stats in lacrosse, I think you'd see a high number for Kamish. He's faster than Puglise without question and is a better athlete.

I wouldn't call any short stick a lock down seeing those guys get targeted every possession but Kamish doesn't get beat too often. He's become very physical and really helps in clearing and in the transition game. He's always making the right pass. Being a former O middie helps in those situations.

We can split hairs on who is better, but it if Puglise is the 7th pick in the draft, there is no question Kamish is PLL ready.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

1766 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:41 pm I wouldn't call any short stick a lock down seeing those guys get targeted every possession but Kamish doesn't get beat too often. He's become very physical and really helps in clearing and in the transition game. He's always making the right pass. Being a former O middie helps in those situations.
Puglise (and pretty much all of the Terps SSDMs) have been so good that teams are actually going after Makar and Zapitello, sometimes using picks to free up the attackers. Just check out the highlights of the last two Rutgers-Maryland games. I counted half a goal given up by Puglise over those two games (it could have easily been put on Prybylski).

Not what conventionally happens, but matchups are probably part of it (i.e. Maryland isolating long sticks on the quickest attackers, and not switching).
molo

Post by molo »

I saw Urso several times, he was strong and quick, but well under six feet. When I saw him, he was the best player I had ever seen. Once I saw Gary Gait, that changed. Unfortunately, I saw EM just once in person.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:22 am
Wait a minute! I thought in lacrosse past results reflect future performance!!
that's mutual funds.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”