Is Duke In Or Out After That Loss To Notre Dame?

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Is Duke In Or Out After That Loss To Notre Dame?

In
34%
Out
66%

Total votes: 53

rolldodge

Re: Is Duke In Or Out After That Loss To Notre Dame?

Post by rolldodge »

It can change year to year, but the committee tends to like big wins. Bad for Duke. They also like performance against tournament teams. Good for Duke, but weighted toward the bottom of the field. Then there are the “bad losses” which is a wild card. I think it’s anybodys guess what they are going to do.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Just to recap recent performance…

Duke is 4-4 in their last eight games. LWLWLWWL, including losses to Loyola and Syracuse, a win over UVa, wins over UNCx2 and Towson and losses to NDx2. So two “bad” losses in that stretch, three wins over teams that will miss the tournament, two losses to a team that will likely be unseeded in the tournament, and a win over a top-ten team.

Not sure if the committee looks at performance in the stretch run, but aside from the win against UVa, that’s pretty poor. I think it also deflates the Quint/Carc narrative of performing well later in the season.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Stretch run performance is NOT a criterion
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:59 pm Stretch run performance is NOT a criterion
neither is one's own rpi supposed to be, so there's that.

i'm not sure anyone knows the definition of what the criteria is in practice until the committee chair says what it is. and even then...

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:13 pm

i'm not sure anyone knows the definition of what the criteria is in practice until the committee chair says what it is. and even then...

Ohio St. deserves to be in over both Duke and Harvard due to their wins and as importantly, their losses.

OSU will make it, and either Duke or Harvard at this point given how conference championship games shook out. I'd put Harvard in before Duke personally.
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

There is only room for one of those three, not two....unless you are saying ND, UVA, Brown or Cornell isn’t making it in.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Ohio St. deserves to be in over both Duke and Harvard due to their wins and as importantly, their losses.

OSU will make it, and either Duke or Harvard at this point given how conference championship games shook out. I'd put Harvard in before Duke personally.
tabulate how you determine ohio state's wins are better than either of those teams?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The actual criteria are hopelessly confusing. Some years ago IL published an example of the index card the NCAA prepares on each eligible team for the committee. It was just a mess, impossible to parse. But it did include the RPI number and rank, even though that's not an official criterion. It also included other stuff that's not in the criteria, like out-of-conference record. One year the committee chair said that some team's OOC record had been impressive. People at laxpower were tearing their hair out.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:02 pm

tabulate how you determine ohio state's wins are better than either of those teams?
Because.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Duke should not get in. Three losses to teams not in the selection discussion. Two of those teams outside of the top 20. Only top 10 win is UVA, who really did not play well that game. Duke’s RPI is high simply because they schedule a lot of games and most of the teams they play themselves have decent RPIs. High Point in the same situation a few years ago where a couple of bad losses kept them out. Need to hold Duke’s consideration to the same standard.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

When does the Bracket come out? I know the show is 8 or 9 eastern, but doesn't it come out before that or do I need to stay up. If so, I will need to make a beer run.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:10 pm When does the Bracket come out? I know the show is 8 or 9 eastern, but doesn't it come out before that or do I need to stay up. If so, I will need to make a beer run.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Unless that Supreme Court clerk is in the conference room, you'll need to do that beer run.
HGK

Post by HGK »

9pm.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

HGK wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:16 pm9pm.
9pm? It will be like when Mantle told Casey, when he asked him to pinch hit and The Mick said Skip, I'm still hungover from last night, and Casey told him, if your seeing 3 balls coming at you, hit the one in the middle. The Mick crushed it about 450 feet.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PicLax wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:05 pm Duke should not get in. Three losses to teams not in the selection discussion. Two of those teams outside of the top 20. Only top 10 win is UVA, who really did not play well that game. Duke’s RPI is high simply because they schedule a lot of games and most of the teams they play themselves have decent RPIs. High Point in the same situation a few years ago where a couple of bad losses kept them out. Need to hold Duke’s consideration to the same standard.
high point had a 20 rpi. not the same at all. and they had several very good wins.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

HGK wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:16 pm9pm.
ESPNU

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:24 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:02 pm

Because.
Looks like the committee "tabulated" it the same way I did. Enjoy watching the teams that actually made it.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Can I change my vote?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”