D1 Mens Lacrosse
NYterp09

Re: Coaching Hot Seats

Post by NYterp09 »

NElaxtalent wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:20 am
NYterp09 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:04 am
NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:35 pm
cherrylax wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:10 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:54 pm Gotta think Chris Gabrielle, in his 10th year at Providence, has to be squarely in the crosshairs. For a small D1 school their athletic department is excellent (ie hockey is basketball, soccer), and they have built the program amazing facilities (both field/stadium as well as locker room) and seemingly have regressed on-field the past 4-5 years while High Point, Richmond, Utah, Jacksonville, St Joe's & BU etc have steadily improved.

Have heard PC put big $$$ into the last contract, would think they are looking for a better ROI than sub .500 lacrosse.
Could probably say the same thing at SHU. 5-25 in the past three years. School has put major dollars into athletics and is building a brand new hockey facility.
PC is in the Big East and a Top 10 D1 hockey & basketball school. Different level athletic department financially & expectation-wise.
Excuse me but are you actually suggesting that providence is a top ten college basketball school? Because that might be one of the most absurd claims I’ve yet seen on this site.
They have a long basketball history going back to Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan. This year they were in the Top 10 and a #4 seed in the NCAA tournament, so yes they are relevant and the athletic department "cares" about a winning basketball program. Whether they are consistently Top 10 wasn't my point, it's that in the sports they invest into, they want results.... They've invested heavily into lacrosse WITHOUT results.
You literally said they were a “top ten basketball school.” A school that has won all of SIX tournament games in the last 35 years. My man they’re nowhere near the top 25, let alone the top ten.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

The point is the Friars and athletic department have invested into competing at a competitive (NCAA Sweet 16 or Top 10-20 level ) in hockey and basketball. I'm not literally arguing rankings, just athletic department commitments of resources. They have done similarly into lacrosse facilities and salaries, without ANY improvement or ROI.

You missed the context of that response, it was to a posted who lumped Sacred Heart and Providence into the same category. PC has had a recent Top 10 appearances in both hockey and basketball. Back to lacrosse.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NElaxtalent wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:10 am The point is the Friars and athletic department have invested into competing at a competitive (NCAA Sweet 16 or Top 10-20 level ) in hockey and basketball. I'm not literally arguing rankings, just athletic department commitments of resources. They have done similarly into lacrosse facilities and salaries, without ANY improvement or ROI.

You missed the context of that response, it was to a posted who lumped Sacred Heart and Providence into the same category. PC has had a recent Top 10 appearances in both hockey and basketball. Back to lacrosse.
Providence should be able to get to Villanova’s level. Similar profile schools in some ways. Do you know how many scholarships Providence has? I believe Nova has 6?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

I do not. I'm don't have any direct connections to the school but I have friends who have been at PC &/or lacrosse program. I just know the lacrosse alumni have donated heavily and PC has also invested similarly and "influential people" in the PC community have been not-so-patiently been waiting for results. . .
Typical Lax Dad

NElaxtalent wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:44 am I do not. I'm don't have any direct connections to the school but I have friends who have been at PC &/or lacrosse program. I just know the lacrosse alumni have donated heavily and PC has also invested similarly and "influential people" in the PC community have been not-so-patiently been waiting for results. . .
Thanks. I would expect better results. PC has a lot going for it.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:15 am
NElaxtalent wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:10 am The point is the Friars and athletic department have invested into competing at a competitive (NCAA Sweet 16 or Top 10-20 level ) in hockey and basketball. I'm not literally arguing rankings, just athletic department commitments of resources. They have done similarly into lacrosse facilities and salaries, without ANY improvement or ROI.

Providence should be able to get to Villanova’s level. Similar profile schools in some ways. Do you know how many scholarships Providence has? I believe Nova has 6?
PC and Quinnipiac are 2 smaller New England schools that take athletics seriously and want to punch above their weight. Would be a surprise if PC doesn’t make a move. Poli hasn’t had nearly the same time as Gabrielli, but they’ve been going in the wrong direction and Poli was promoted from interim without a national search after QU moved on from Fekete following the hazing scandal.
Typical Lax Dad

redfoxalum wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:19 pm

PC and Quinnipiac are 2 smaller New England schools that take athletics seriously and want to punch above their weight. Would be a surprise if PC doesn’t make a move. Poli hasn’t had nearly the same time as Gabrielli, but they’ve been going in the wrong direction and Poli was promoted from interim without a national search after QU moved on from Fekete following the hazing scandal.
I believe Providence is in a position to build a better program than QU. Not sure why it isn't Richmond. Coaching staff could be the answer... Bryant has done well and probably more institutional support and it's a good niche.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Probably better suited for MAAC thread but Q has underachieved for a few years, no way they should ever miss a MAAC tourney
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

CU77 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:17 pm There's already a separate thread about that, and in any case the answer is no.
Was tongue-in-cheek re:Breschi!! Although maybe Buczek gets moved to hot seat if the Red lose to PU!
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:25 pm

I believe Providence is in a position to build a better program than QU. Not sure why it isn't Richmond. Coaching staff could be the answer... Bryant has done well and probably more institutional support and it's a good niche.
PC absolutely higher ceiling than QU, both have been relative disappointments. As far as PC vs. UR, UR has the weather and postseason opportunities advantages. A lot will have to go right for PC to make a NCAA tournament.
Typical Lax Dad

redfoxalum wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:25 pm

PC absolutely higher ceiling than QU, both have been relative disappointments. As far as PC vs. UR, UR has the weather and postseason opportunities advantages. A lot will have to go right for PC to make a NCAA tournament.
Yep.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

FMUBart wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:51 pm Was tongue-in-cheek re:Breschi!! Although maybe Buczek gets moved to hot seat if the Red lose to PU!
Ha. Not likely. But Cornell's collapse is very disappointing ... if they don't beat PU they will miss the ILT ...
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Gary Gait?
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:35 pm Gary Gait?
Lol I take it this is a joke? It's his first year and have you seen the recruiting class he is bringing in?
Keepitin66

Post by Keepitin66 »

:!:
masondixonlax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:41 pm
Lol I take it this is a joke? It's his first year and have you seen the recruiting class he is bringing in?
If I’m Gary I fire both co-ordinators. Both offense and defense have regressed and clearly the formula and dynamic between all 3 coaches just simply does not work. On a team level, rides, clears, and transition have all been poor. Time for whole sale change imo. If he wants to have more of a “hands-off” approach and won’t make changes himself, he must change these two co-ordinators.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Keepitin66 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:46 pm :!:
If I’m Gary I fire both co-ordinators. Both offense and defense have regressed and clearly the formula and dynamic between all 3 coaches just simply does not work. On a team level, rides, clears, and transition have all been poor. Time for whole sale change imo. If he wants to have more of a “hands-off” approach and won’t make changes himself, he must change these two co-ordinators.
I thought April Fools was (checks calendar) 22 days ago? Is this a Leap Year thing, and I have my days wrong?
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

Maybe both Conry and Milliman in the Big 10 are hot seat men?

All kidding aside on Hopkins, Milliman can’t have outings like that and survive. Probably one or two free passes.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Obviously.

But you can bet your ass people will be calling for his head if they are 4-9 next year. Legend or not.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:45 pm
Obviously.

But you can bet your ass people will be calling for his head if they are 4-9 next year. Legend or not.
Straw man argument
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:54 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:45 pm
Obviously.

Straw man argument
You kiss your mother with that mouth?!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”