Cuse v Stony Brook, 1600 hrs in the Dome

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Cuse v Stony Brook, 1600 hrs in the Dome

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:01 am
Lax101 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:38 am You absolutely never use your best defender to face guard. Need someone fast, aggresive and disciplined - annoying helps as well. If you watch BC you will find that is what they do and they face guard the most important offensive player every game no matter who they play. Bill B. the Patriots coach does the same thing in football. Takes away the other teams biggest weapon. The best lax defender would likely cover the #2 offensive threat. If you watched the Princeton game Sears scored 2 goals in about the first 3 minutes of the game. UVA coach then locked her off and she did nothing else before she ultimately fouled out. You can still lock off or at least focus on best offensive player when playing a zone.
Yes I agree - fast, aggressive, disciplined, and a motor that runs for days. I believe UMass actually had a senior soccer player join the team in spring 2016 and primarily used her to face guard.
The person being face guarded should also kind of stay out of the way until she can make a clear catch and pass. A lot of kids don’t know how to get out of the FG and end up clogging things for other players
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote
I believe UMass actually had a senior soccer player join the team in spring 2016 and primarily used her to face guard.
Boy, that must be a fun way to play the game.
"You play lacrosse?"
"Well, kinda but not really."
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:10 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:01 am
Lax101 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:38 am You absolutely never use your best defender to face guard. Need someone fast, aggresive and disciplined - annoying helps as well. If you watch BC you will find that is what they do and they face guard the most important offensive player every game no matter who they play. Bill B. the Patriots coach does the same thing in football. Takes away the other teams biggest weapon. The best lax defender would likely cover the #2 offensive threat. If you watched the Princeton game Sears scored 2 goals in about the first 3 minutes of the game. UVA coach then locked her off and she did nothing else before she ultimately fouled out. You can still lock off or at least focus on best offensive player when playing a zone.
Yes I agree - fast, aggressive, disciplined, and a motor that runs for days. I believe UMass actually had a senior soccer player join the team in spring 2016 and primarily used her to face guard.
The person being face guarded should also kind of stay out of the way until she can make a clear catch and pass. A lot of kids don’t know how to get out of the FG and end up clogging things for other players
Good points. There are definitely tactful ways for a face guarded player to "get in the way" and be used to pick off of and set screens, but sometimes even that is not needed and it's more beneficial for them to just pull out and let their teammates play 6's with the extra space

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”