Stanford v. Syracuse 2/11/22

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Stanford v. Syracuse 2/11/22

Post by DMac »

laxer12 wrote
Syracuse's defense was awful
This is being overly critical of one good team playing another good team (bet Stanford is much better than a whole of people thought they are) on February 11th. Yes, Stanford had some nice off ball cuts to the cage and scored on a few of them but the Cuse D held this team to nine goals...not bad. They also cleared the ball successfully 17 of 18 times (Stanford 19 of 19), awful defenses don't do that. Stanford has a good team with a few very speedy girls, they brought their A game, including a 6X6 stone wall, to the Dome to play Cuse and came out guns blazin'. Cuse gave up six goals in the first half, three in the second. Awful defenses don't step up and adjust like that.
Couple of notes:
Ward is missed on this team. Carney threw a couple of nice passes into real tight quarters in front of the cage that were at least good shots, and likely goals (well, maybe they break the wall and get through), but the passes weren't handled. I think Ward handles them.
Carney looked good to me, surprisingly strong and confident. That girl is just a solid player, her goals will come.
EH was off the mark all day, passes weren't on the money, was a little out of wack, trying to make up for a missed season in one game. She'll get back in the groove too.
KT looked very comfortable on the sidelines, didn't look to be in over her head, didn't look as if the job is too big for her. Looked confident and under control. Looked comfortable at the press conference too, handled it pretty good. Doesn't look to me as if there's any lack of presence of command from the young coach.
Room for improvement for sure but a pretty good looking team all in all.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:05 am
laxer12 wrote
This is being overly critical of one good team playing another good team (bet Stanford is much better than a whole of people thought they are) on February 11th. Yes, Stanford had some nice off ball cuts to the cage and scored on a few of them but the Cuse D held this team to nine goals...not bad. They also cleared the ball successfully 17 of 18 times (Stanford 19 of 19), awful defenses don't do that. Stanford has a good team with a few very speedy girls, they brought their A game, including a 6X6 stone wall, to the Dome to play Cuse and came out guns blazin'. Cuse gave up six goals in the first half, three in the second. Awful defenses don't step up and adjust like that.
Couple of notes:
Ward is missed on this team. Carney threw a couple of nice passes into real tight quarters in front of the cage that were at least good shots, and likely goals (well, maybe they break the wall and get through), but the passes weren't handled. I think Ward handles them.
Carney looked good to me, surprisingly strong and confident. That girl is just a solid player, her goals will come.
EH was off the mark all day, passes weren't on the money, was a little out of wack, trying to make up for a missed season in one game. She'll get back in the groove too.
KT looked very comfortable on the sidelines, didn't look to be in over her head, didn't look as if the job is too big for her. Looked confident and under control. Looked comfortable at the press conference too, handled it pretty good. Doesn't look to me as if there's any lack of presence of command from the young coach.
Agree with all this. Defense was better in the second half, and Syracuse was playing a quality team. The Bingo game will be a nice game to work on some stuff; the problem is that it will not necessarily be defense.

If I was disappointed, it was with the Cuse midfield (although E. Tyrell is a middie and had her usual nice game). The shooting from 3 and 43 was very poor. No. 35 shot into the goalie's chest. Not sure Baxter and Markey got a shot off.

The Stony Brook game will be interesting, but no Kennedy and no Ohlmiller, so we will be seeing a different SBU squad. Then Notre Dame and Northwestern, away from the friendly confines of the Dome.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't think #49 got a shot off either, had a FPS with little time left in the game but backed off and didn't take the shot (Cuse went 2 for 3 on FPS so they were actually 100% which is a real good thing). Threw a nice assist to M. Tyrell though and I was surprised by her D. Wasn't bad, much more aggressive and effective than last year. She's improved that stick a bit too, keeps it in a little tighter, is actually a pretty good passer with good eyes. Speedy girl, can get the ball downfield for you. There were those questioning whether she'd see the field at all this year, guess she answered that question.
Agree with you, gotta get more O from the middies.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:24 am
laxer12 wrote
Couple of notes:
Agree with all this. Defense was better in the second half, and Syracuse was playing a quality team. The Bingo game will be a nice game to work on some stuff; the problem is that it will not necessarily be defense.

If I was disappointed, it was with the Cuse midfield (although E. Tyrell is a middie and had her usual nice game). The shooting from 3 and 43 was very poor. No. 35 shot into the goalie's chest. Not sure Baxter and Markey got a shot off.

The Stony Brook game will be interesting, but no Kennedy and no Ohlmiller, so we will be seeing a different SBU squad. Then Notre Dame and Northwestern, away from the friendly confines of the Dome.
I will agree about the midfield. Invisible except for Emma. Emily tried too hard to be the old Emily. Can’t do it alone. If anyone should know that she should. watch some film from her team last year after she got hurt and see that it takes village.
I still say the defense is the issue. You graduated a defense that played together for 4+ years without giving these current players a chance to get in a lot of games. Including the ones that were blowouts. Need to give more than two minutes for experience. I heard at least three defenders transferred out. So you have a very green team. I think even without Kennedy Stony Brook is blowing the doors off this defense
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:43 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:24 am
laxer12 wrote
Couple of notes:

I will agree about the midfield. Invisible except for Emma. Emily tried too hard to be the old Emily. Can’t do it alone. If anyone should know that she should. watch some film from her team last year after she got hurt and see that it takes village.
I still say the defense is the issue. You graduated a defense that played together for 4+ years without giving these current players a chance to get in a lot of games. Including the ones that were blowouts. Need to give more than two minutes for experience. I heard at least three defenders transferred out. So you have a very green team. I think even without Kennedy Stony Brook is blowing the doors off this defense
We are not disagreeing about the defense, either about the failure in the past to play folks in blowouts or in the green-ness of this year's edition. But I am confident they will come around and play pretty good defense by the middle of the season. But there are going to be some ugly speed bumps. I just don't think SBU is going to be one of them. But I like and admire Joe, and the proof in the pudding is in the eating.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:01 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:17 am This was a good game for a while, then the Orange found another gear. As rough as they looked around the edges, they still have weapons that most teams only dream about. The rough edges are there. It's going to be interesting to see how the team progresses as the season goes along, and once they get into the iron of the ACC among other games vs stiff competition, like Stony Brook and Northwestern in a little over a fortnight.
That’s going to be the test. Stanford is a good team for sure. But they’re not bc or unc. That would’ve been a whole different story that would expose that green defense. It’s going to be an issue for them
Think they'll figure it out this year or do you guess it will take longer?
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:40 am Don't think #49 got a shot off either, had a FPS with little time left in the game but backed off and didn't take the shot (Cuse went 2 for 3 on FPS so they were actually 100% which is a real good thing). Threw a nice assist to M. Tyrell though and I was surprised by her D. Wasn't bad, much more aggressive and effective than last year. She's improved that stick a bit too, keeps it in a little tighter, is actually a pretty good passer with good eyes. Speedy girl, can get the ball downfield for you. There were those questioning whether she'd see the field at all this year, guess she answered that question.
Agree with you, gotta get more O from the middies.
Correct. No shots for #49 but she did get a helper and a couple GB's.

OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:05 am Doesn't look to me as if there's any lack of presence of command from the young coach.
That one's mine. I may yet end up eating a big plate of crow on this one. Not one of my prouder predictions, but I own it. And I'll own the plate of crow if/when it comes due. Hey, I wish her well. Kayla Treanor got me hooked on the sport back in 2014 when I first saw her play. She was pleasant to talk with when I spoke with her briefly at the end of a game at BC the season before she signed on to help coach the Eagles.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:43 am I think even without Kennedy Stony Brook is blowing the doors off this defense
Love the bold prediction, Cage. That would certainly make front page news on USA Magazine and Inside Lacrosse. We'll find out in 8 days. Think Spallina will have any extra motivation? It was rumored though never confirmed to my knowledge that Innovator Joe was being considered for the job Gait vacated before Syracuse decided on Treanor.

Note: Innovator Joe is a complimentary nickname I've coined for Stony Brook coach Joe Spallina. He is indeed an innovator. Anyone who has been to a game and shown up early to watch warmups will tell you that. In addition to his innovation, I appreciate his passion both for the sport and his team. Thus--Innovator Joe.

As you were 😉
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:25 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:01 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:17 am This was a good game for a while, then the Orange found another gear. As rough as they looked around the edges, they still have weapons that most teams only dream about. The rough edges are there. It's going to be interesting to see how the team progresses as the season goes along, and once they get into the iron of the ACC among other games vs stiff competition, like Stony Brook and Northwestern in a little over a fortnight.
That’s going to be the test. Stanford is a good team for sure. But they’re not bc or unc. That would’ve been a whole different story that would expose that green defense. It’s going to be an issue for them
Think they'll figure it out this year or do you guess it will take longer?
I think they’ll definitely figure it out once they work out the kinks and quite honestly the nerves. There’s nothing like being a new player on the turf in the dome and I don’t think a lot of people understand that. Will they make it to the final four this year. I honestly don’t know. I hope for their sake that they do but Time will tell. I think traenor was a great choice for a coach she’s already looking very comfortable and I think the girls really respond to her
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:43 am I think even without Kennedy Stony Brook is blowing the doors off this defense
Love the bold prediction, Cage. That would certainly make front page news on USA Magazine and Inside Lacrosse. We'll find out in 8 days. Think Spallina will have any extra motivation? It was rumored though never confirmed to my knowledge that Innovator Joe was being considered for the job Gait vacated before Syracuse decided on Treanor.
I think one has been waiting for this game since last years loss He knows this team very well. I would say 50% of from Long Island. And he knows exactly the talents that left and he knows exactly how to expose their weakness. I think you’re underestimating this game. I also heard that about him on deck for the job and I think it’s interesting that Gait took all three of his sons so I for one will have the popcorn ready next Sunday afternoon
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:00 am I think you’re underestimating this game.
Not in the least. This has become a nice rivalry. It will be hard fought and the bragging rights will be significant until next year (if they continue to schedule each other) or if/until they meet in the post season this year if that ends up happening. This game is circled nice and big on the calendar at this address.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:06 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:00 am I think you’re underestimating this game.
Not in the least. This has become a nice rivalry. It will be hard fought and the bragging rights will be significant until next year (if they continue to schedule each other) or if/until they meet in the post season this year if that ends up happening. This game is circled nice and big on the calendar at this address.
Nice onw!! It’s always a great game. And I always root for the orange to be honest. And I didn’t mean you specifically were underestimating I just meet people in general.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:16 am And I didn’t mean you specifically were underestimating I just meet people in general.
I kind of figured you meant it in general but just wanted to make sure I was "on the right side of history". 😉
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

laxer12 wrote
Couple of notes:
Is it being overly critical? Stanford had wide open cutters in the middle in the second half as well -- their attackers just failed to look and get them the ball. Huge lack of communication regarding who was supposed to be covering who in the middle. A better passing team would've destroyed this defense last night. Just saying.

Carney also had a few passes that lead directly to SU turnovers. Neither her or Hawryschuk are anywhere near where they previously were.

Most of the Stanford goalie's saves came all in the same area: low and at her feet or right at her stick. SU's shooting and overall ball movement needs to be much better. Sorry ;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, I think "awful" is being overly critical. Yes, I saw the open cutters and saw room for improvement from the D but that doesn't make them awful and I doubt the Stanford girls see them as awful either. I see being overly critical, as well as piling on too much praise, as pretty much the norm after the first couple of games of the season though, so it's all good. Just a matter of semantics I suppose, but they're not awful. We'll see if the Binghamton gals think so today.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:48 am I see being overly critical, as well as piling on too much praise, as pretty much the norm after the first couple of games of the season though, so it's all good.
Definitely seeing this. The Industrial Hype Complex at work.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:11 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:02 pm Thats typical EH bull through 3 defenders....
...typical EH move....shes done it her whole career
I've begun to notice this as you have mentioned it on occasion. It's also apparent she is forcing things a bit. Still a dangerous player but not at her typical level of play yet as she continues to come back from injury.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”